main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Clone Wars - Kevin Kiner

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Mastadge, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    KoTOR has more cues in it than the Clone Wars did. Shadows of the Empire was a far superior score.

2. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    but there is nothing new about it. the melodies themselves, sure, but it doesn't sound any different

SotE had to sound exactly like the rest of SW. CW shouldn't. Though I agree that SotE is the better spin-off score. Though not because it quotes 2 more themes than CW does. One if you count the tiny hint of Vader's theme.

3. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Are you talking about KotOR? It's completely different from the film scores in style, and the themes are real winners.

4. TheTelmarine

TheTelmarine Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 2008
    Good point. ;)

5. swcolts157

swcolts157 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 15, 2008
    I just read there's a little bit of Duel of the Fates and Imperial March in this soundtrack. Does anybody know where in the music these can be found?

6. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I think the "Duel of the Fates" ostinato is played on an ethnic instrument in "The Battle of Teth." It could be just a coincidental similarity. "The Imperial March" is heard near the beginning of "Fight to the End."

7. Yodi_Bear

Yodi_Bear Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2008
    A good score, Kevin Kiner's The Clone Wars is. Like it, I do. Excited, I am, for the television series soundtrack.

8. Yodi_Bear

Yodi_Bear Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2008
    Read my review here, you may.

9. Yodi_Bear

Yodi_Bear Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2008
    Hear music from Kiner's TV score, you can, by playing the game at this page.

10. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    That's a really great speech gimmick you've got there.

11. Yodi_Bear

Yodi_Bear Jedi Youngling

Sep 1, 2008
    Agree with you, I do! My thanks, you have! :)

12. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    Yeah.............

13. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    I've noticed folks giving you a hard time for your syntax on several threads Yodi. But you're having fun here. Getting into the joy of Star Wars. It does sometimes make your posts more difficult to read. But hey, SW is supposed to be fun.

So, keep it up.

14. darth_meow1138

darth_meow1138 Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2008
    I bought the soundtrack and most of it sounds pretty good. I liked "Battle of Christophsis", the Main Theme variation and pretty much everything else, if you don't include that horrible Jabba music. But I wonder why "Admiral Yularen" has the Lando theme....maybe it's not the Lando theme, but the "mustache theme":D .

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I think that the SOTE soundtrack is absolutely, positively, horrible.

Anyway.

I like this soundtrack; yes, it's not Williams. That's fine; it's a completely different style of film to the other six, and the music is part of that, IMO.

I'll probably post more later. But not like the n00b who posted 12 times in a row while talking like Yoda.

16. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    ... Guh?

17. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    In terms of Star Wars-iness (whatever that is, but hey) I think SotE falls short. Sure, "Leia's Nightmare" uses a chunk of "Carbon Freeze" and of course The Force Theme and The Imperial March are present and correct, but there's not much else to it. Now, I imagine I'm going to get corrected on this, but a heck of a lot of the score sounded like a rather bland imitation of Holst; "The Battle of Gall" especially. Hans Zimmer gets a lot of stick for unoriginality (The Bringer of War in Gladiator's "The Battle" for one thing) but I think SotE sounds even more derivative, and most of it seems to be treading water.

As to "The Clone Wars", elements of it are growing on me. I still think the Main Theme's a great, fun reworking; and I imagine the series itself will have more scope to incoporate existing cues.

18. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm not sure how McNeely's "The Battle of Gall" could be more derivative of Holst (I assume you're talking about "Mars, the Bringer of War") when Zimmer's "The Battle" copies it almost note for note.

19. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    At this point in human history, when talking about symphonic music, is anything truly new?

It's just, when you boil it all down, re-workings and re-combination of existing elements. Some of those types of recombinations might be sort of new I suppose. But in the end, we've heard all the notes before.

On the other hand, people tend to not copy previous music note for note. And in that sense, everything is new...i.e. we've never heard that particular construction of musical instruments and notes.

So it seems that "it's new" vs "it's old" depends on one's own point of view, and the criteria by which we determine new and old.

TCW is not a revolutionary score when looked at from the perspective of all film scores. But when looked at from the perspective of all Star Wars music, it's a bit closer (but there are still radical departures within the realm of SW scores...take Galactic Battlegrounds I think it was). Looked at from the standpoint of film/television Star Wars scores, it's definitely revolutionary.

That doesn't necessarily make it good or bad.

I personally like it. I don't mind the shift in style, especially since there's still an orchestral feel running through most of it.

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I think that was Force Commander. IIRC, GB had movie music off the CD or something.

21. WedgeWalker

Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, that's it. They went for a Red Alert meets Star Wars vibe.

22. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yerp. It's about as Star Warsy as bubble gum as far as I'm concerned. Not interesting at all.

and Kwenn, you're my new best friend. I'm glad somebody else thinks the SOTE score sucks as well.

I think it's biggest problem it's that it's not actually a score to anything. The game has it's own soundtrack, which isn't what is on the soundtrack release IIRC. And the book only vaguely matches up to "scenes" on the soundtrack, too.

23. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm going to go out on a limb here: not a fan of classical music?

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    And that limb would break under you. About 3/4ths of my music-probably more, actually-is classical and/or movie soundtracks.

No, I just find SoTE to be incredibly dull to listen to.

25. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    My apologies. I just feel that SotE is written in a very art music like fashion. There's a lot of romanticism in it. For what it's worth, though, Joel McNeely himself isn't even proud of it.

As for matching it to the book, I did some of that back in the day. "The Battle of Gall" and "The Destruction of Xizor's Palace" matched up pretty well. "The Imperial City," of course, did not!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.