main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The CLONE WARS

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Kassy, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassy

Kassy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    With the film launch for The Clone Wars only 2 weeks away and bus stop posters and general media starting to appear everywhere now, are there any plans for a group viewing or any other activity ?

2. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Hi Steve :)

Hope all is well.

Thus far there are no plans for seeing The Clone Wars and I doubt I'll be able to arrange anything myself as I'm actually on holiday when it's released.
    I'm afraid I can't say I'm that excited about it though, more so after reading Empire's review, but we shall see. I will see it though ;)

3. Kassy

Apr 20, 2005
    It's gotta be a must see for any Star Wars fan though, especially with a follow up series!

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm currently reading the novel and it isn't too bad. Of course it depends on what makes it into the film from that. I saw my first TV trailer on Boomerang just before 9pm last night. Also I was in my local Woolworths today and they had a whole endcap of CW figures. I picked up Captain Rex.

Even if the reviews are bad I will still see it.

5. DakeKast

DakeKast Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2008
    Hi!

I'm new! How do I get started?

Anyway, what's the release date for the film?

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    August 15.

And welcome to the forums! I'll let one of the FF folks answer your other question.

7. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    the release is some dark time in august,
    funnily enough,tice... we're also on holiday when it opens.

8. Kassy

Apr 20, 2005
    Come on people, call yourself SW Fans! :) LOL

9. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Welcome Dakekast :)
    You don't really have to do anything here, registering and posting is about it but of cause you're more then welcome to join-us on any planned meets that will be announced in this forum.

People are more then welcome to arrange their own meet for this, perhaps listing a London cinema, time and date. As I said, I'm on holiday during the first week of release so if you're keen and eager, I wont be able to arrange anything myself anyway.

And yes Steve, we are Star Wars fans which is why we're not convinced by this, lol. Long live the OT!!

Resident member darthdom should be seeing this film on Sunday and I'll probably see it sometime next week during a print rehearsal, so we can give you some feedback very soon hopefully.

10. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i'm going to a press screening on sunday,
    cool.

11. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Our FF group was fortunate enough to be invited to the press screening this past Saturday.
    I LOVED IT.

The action was fantastic, the story interesting and the animation was great! Many of the shots were spectacular!! There was humour, drama and lots of new gadgets, droids and characters to enjoy. The digital format is THE way to truly appreciate this film.

Some fans will not like this new direction for Star Wars. Many fans who do not like the PT probably won't like this. It's different than anything else we've seen, but along the same lines at the PT (which I love). I think it works very well, and I really like this new style and concept. Go in with an open mind and you may be surprised.

Can't wait until Friday to watch it again! And then just a few more months until I can watch it every week, at home :D

12. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    It's great that you got to see it early (and digitally) Yrol, and I'm pleased that you liked it :D
    I'm not sure what the digital distribution is like here in the UK, but I'll probably find out tomorrow.

darth-dom gave it the thumbs up too. What say you Mr Richards??

There are two things I've heard about it that really concern me, plus the ugly design and renderings but for now I'm trying to really open my mind and I hope that I will get something out of this. I do still feel this project is very disrespectful of Genndy Tartakovsky's hard and excellent work, and that still bugs me somewhat.

13. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I don't consider the new animated series disrespectful of Tartakovsky's work. His series was certainly groundbreaking and fantastic. I think it was an experiment - to see if people would be interested in watching an animated Star Wars show. And it certainly worked! Tartakovsky's series bears his own signature style and I think GL wanted his own production to do the same. The new series is certainly different and at C4 last year, Filoni explained the differences in GT's show and Lucas'. The Jedi seemed almost indestructible in the micro series and yet they got beaten (one could say almost easily) in AOTC and Sith. They wanted to have a series where the Jedi's abilities were more 'reality' based...somewhere inbetween the movies and Tartakovsky's series.

Unfortunately, it looks like the digital release is very limited and we may not get it :_| I'm glad I got to see it twice in the digital format though - 35 mm is just not as spectacular...

14. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    The film arrived last night and I made it up and had it ready to watch in-time but decided not to watch it. I'm saving it for tonight when I'll be less tired, lol. Sadly we only have the 35mm print, which is both annoying and disappointing considering Warner Brothers have given us digital drives in the recent past and that George Lucas has been banning on about pushing for digital releases for years now.
    However, the flip side is that we can put this into our big screen and that's where I intend to watch it tonight ;)

One aspect I really liked from GT's series was how rock-hard the Jedi were portrayed (the Mace Windu episode really standing out as an example). After seeing that I realised that this is how I would have liked the Jedi to have been portrayed in the PT. But I quite agree that maybe, just maybe, it went a shade too far so hearing that this Clone Wars film is somewhere in the middle is very encouraging.

I guess I'll finding out tonight, if all goes accordingly :D

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I'm seeing it tomorrow at 6.40pm. So I'm damn looking forward to it!

16. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    a little sluggish in the middle act,which was unforgiving when you consider it's a cartoon,but on the whole a very enjoyable romp.
    lol @ the obviously gay hutt,i sense a fan frenzy coming on for that character.
    i'd much rather they focused on the sequel era to explore,the clone wars seems so limiting in terms of story,and tension.
    the jedi die,and padme dies,and... oh,everyone pretty much dies.
    lol,
    oh well,we'll see...

in the meantime,there's always

DUCK HUNT!

17. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Saw it last night and as the Joker said, "and here we go..........."

My gut reaction is that this is good, enjoyable, slightly too innocent fun. It's also slightly confused.
    I'd love to know at which point they decided to make this introduction to the tv series into a feature film. At times it very much plays out as a feature film, and at times (particularly the story) it plays out as a tv series. It does both very well, but I think they may have missed a trick. I mean, you're sitting in a cinema auditorium and the film is in scope format, taking up all of the screen with a loud 5.1 dolby digital soundtrack. The whole film, therefore, should be a film. But considering this is an elaborate intro to the tv series, then it's hard to count that as a negative, more a wasted opportunity.

On the plus side, the battle scenes are great and very well animated. They've done a great justice to the Clone Troppers. Anakin Skywalker is far more likable and successful then Hayden's efforts too. The story is actually good, just not of a film standard (although we have of cause been spoilt rotten with The Dark Knight, which is a monolith of story telling and cinema).
    I even grew to like the design and texturing. Some of the characters look great in fact, some not so great.
    And when you think about it, there hasn't really been a CG animated film of this ilk so I think it has set one or two benchmarks and it's certainly created its own, and good, style.

And then there's Ahsoka Tano , or as Jamie described her, Hannah Montana (I had that racing through my mind when I was watching it and had to laugh, good job I was alone). I'm confused............... she's described as a youngling but what age does that make her?? She looks, act and sounds much older then a youngling so it just didn't quite work for me. Secondly, you always think of her as being a love interest of sorts, but obviously that wouldn't work because 1) she's a youngling and 2) Anakin is meant to be madly in love with Padmé. Of cause, maybe that's just me but while I did warm to her I'm as yet not convinced.
    And would Yoda really send a youngling into the depth of war??

The way the soundtrack has been described in various reviews was way off the mark imo. I thought that the soundtrack was very good and quite fitting.

I don't have anything bad to say about this film, but at the same time I don't have anything glowing to report either, apart from the early battle scenes.
    But I did initially enjoy this more then any of the PT films so that's a mini-triumph, but whether it stands to repeat viewings is another matter. A good solid start none the less, but you do wonder what could have been.
    With George Lucas very much taking control of the promotion for the film, you do wonder whether Dave Filoni is another Richard Marquand; just another puppet he can control to make the film he really wants to make without having to do the 9-5 bit.
    I would have given the creators of the micro-series the gig personally.

And yes, Zero the Hutt was about as camp as it could get, lol. He sounded like Truman Capote meets South Park's Cartmen.

18. Kassy

Apr 20, 2005
    Saw The Clone Wars tonight and all I shall say is that is well worth seeing and that as a taster for the TV series it's great, well worth a second viewing as there's lots to see, so I shall see it next week again and post more of my thoughts, hope you Guys give it a chance !

19. jamierichards

Nov 12, 2002
    i do want to see more ki adi mundi and plo koon.

20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I will watch it soon, but it does seem rather pointless. What can it deliver that the previous cartoon series didn't?
    What will it do differently?

Why are we getting a period of Star Wars we've already had? If there's going to be a series set between 3 & 4 why not wait for that instead of making a money-grabbing stop-gap which is much the same as previous stuff.

I think besides the planned live action series Lucas should move on to some new things, at least just to prove he's a competant director (as early films show).

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I saw it earlier today and I liked it. Picked up the soundtrack afterwards as well.

Note - if you want to get the Visual Guide book, check out Waterstones. My local branch had it as part of their '3 for 2' offers.

22. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I enjoyed the Clone Wars movie too. Don't go watching it expecting it to be the Second Coming of The Empire Strikes Back. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

23. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Saw it opening night, place was empty. I'm gonna fan edit it for sure [mainly due to Zero the Hutt]

But yeah it was enjoyable- its obvious it aimed at young kids tho.

24. DakeKast

DakeKast Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2008
    Hi

What's a fan edit?

Didn't you like Zero the Hutt? I thought he was quite a cool villain. Although I don't know if the kids in the audience guessed he was supposed to be a transvestite...

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I didn't like Zero's accent, if they hadn't said he was Jabba's uncle I wouldn't even have guessed he was male.
    He could at least have spoken Huttese more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.