main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Colts thread: Here we learn to love the defense

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by NYCitygurl, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Peyton Manning is one of the best, if not the best, quarterbacks in the US. He's beaten his brother; he's beaten Tom Brady. Who's next?

The Colts have been on the road to the Superbowl several times, but though they have great seasons, they keep messing up in the quarter finals.

Any predictions on their chances for this year?

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm sure they'll find a a way to choke somehow in the playoffs, if history proves anything. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a big fan of Peyton's(I also adore his commercials, especially the one where he's bugging people that have "Regular" jobs, and the ESPN one where him and Eli are touring the ESPN facilities). I'm also a huge fan of Marvin Harrison, which is one of the most under rated players in the league.

However, to be realistic for a second, they are in a very weak division. I really wouldn't let the fact that they've very nearly dropped games to the Jets, Titans, and Bills this season go unnoticed either.

It may not be to the Cowboys this weekend, but I do think they will lose at least a couple of games before the playoffs as they've pretty much already clinched their division. Especially, if Dungy decides to rest some of his players towards the end, like he did last year.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    He's beaten his brother; he's beaten Tom Brady. Who's next?

he hasn't beaten brady and the patriots in playoffs yet. if and when he does that, then he'll gain more respect. until then, he'll be seen primarily as a choker (at least by me).

4. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    What I loev about Manning is he's a great ambassador for the game. He's a class act and reminds me of why I liked Cal Ripken Jr. so much. Of course it didn't hurt he was an Oriole either. The only part that'll pain me forever is that they'll always be my Baltimore Colts. I'll always have a love for the Colts. The Ravens are my team. But the Colts were our team so much longer.

5. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    The Colts players didn't have a plethora of players with lengthy criminal backgrounds either. ;)

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I think Peyton is the best QB out there, but he needs to get over that playoff hump before he can solidify that status. Will he do it this year? I don't know, but he'll certainly have his chance.

7. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm so excited to see this thread! I love watching perfection out on the field each Sunday, and he has really caused my love of football to skyrocket. I really hope the Colts can pull it off this year. Their defense must work harder though. As much as I love him and think he's the best, Manning can't be expected to pull off miracles in every game.

8. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    Watching him, the weeniest coach in the NFL, and the rest of the Colts choke in the playoffs has become one of my family's most beloved sports traditions. I eagerly await the 2006 edition :)

9. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Right now, he's just an extremely talented QB who can post some mind-blowing numbers. On the other hand, he's never played in, much less won a ring. Until he can get over the playoff hump and at least get to the Dance, he'll be remembered as 'great numbers Sept.-Dec., sucks in Jan.'.

Also, the team's placed themselves in a bit of a bind by sinking a LOT of money in Manning, Harrison, Wayne and Freeney, which may bite them very hard soon.

That all said, the Colts are a very good team, and I'm definitely one of the Philly fans that wishes we'd taken Reggie Wayne instead of Freddie Mitchell. :oops:

10. ApolloSmileGirl

Jun 18, 2004
    I don't know if that's quite fair. People consider Dan Marino to be one of the best QB's to ever play, he never won a ring. Had he not gotten those two rings in the twilight of his career, I think people would still consider John Elway to be one the best QBs to have played, as well.

11. Lank_Pavail

Sep 26, 2002
    I wasn't sure if it was fair to make the Marino comparison, either. But Dan has something on Peyton: he's been to a Bowl. I have no doubt Peyton will be a legend for his numbers. I also think there will be many who add 'but' if he never wins a ring. Ditto for McNabb, another prolific passer who falls painfully short in the postseason

I will admit I find Peyton oddly unlikeable. He seems a very decent guy, and he, along with players like Tom Brady, Tiki Barber, and others, are really great role models for kids (unlike folks like Chad Johnson and Terrell Owens for their behavior, and the laundry list of guys playing with raps sheets longer than their arms.). I just look at him and I just find myself feeling a vague dislike. *shrugs* I wish no ill upon him, though I do hope the Eagles D does sack him quite often when they play. :p

I just...don't like him. [face_thinking]*prepares to sacked like an immobile QB by a safety* :p

12. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    Ooh...I am a huge Peyton Manning fan. I love him on, and off the field. Awesome quarterback, funny guy!

13. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree. I was really excited for the game during the playoffs last year, everyone was, and then they lost miserably.

To those who add the "but . ." yeah, there probably should be one, but he's still one of the most famous and highly-ranked QBs in the country right now, moreso than some of those who have gotten rings or gotten to the Superbowl.

14. SLR

SLR Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 20, 2002
    Peyton Manning would be my top QB of choice, if I wanted a quarterback with great stats who disappears in every meaningful game. This is a guy that has failed in not only every post-season in his NFL career, but choked in every Tennessee-Florida game during his college tenure costing his team a national title berth in each of those years (which they finally won the year after he left school). Manning = choke.

As to the Marino debate, I don't think Manning not winning the big game is at all comparable to Marino. The only year that Marino was surrounded with the overall talent to win a championship, was his second season, in which he took them to the Super Bowl (where they lost to one of the best 49er teams of all time). Marino never had the talent surrounding him like Manning has. Manning has benefitted from a great running game (either James or the tandem of Rhodes and Addai). Marino never had a running game with the Dolphins. Marino also did not have the caliber of WR's that Manning has. Harrison-Wayne are head and shoulders above Clayton-Duper (although these two were pretty damn good). If you put Marino (in his prime, as Peyton is in right now), Marino would have won at least 3 championships with this Colts team.

15. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We lost yesterday *pouts*

16. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I agree NYCitygurl. It seemed as if there was something wrong with Manning though. The offensive line wasn't up to par either. Kinda disappointing, but we knew a loss was coming so at least it was to a decent team.

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Yeah, eventually it had to happen. Hopefully we can come back strong in the next game.

18. JediCouncilMember

JediCouncilMember Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2003
    In fairness to Peyton, the playoff chokeries are not really all of his fault. It is just possible that they lost to better teams, with the possible exception of last yr against Pit.

In recent years they lost 2 games to a 14-2 NE team in NE in January. In both those yrs ('03, '04), the Patriots ALSO beat the Colts in the Reg season and I think those games were in Indy. So right there it tells me that the Pats just had the better team. Period.

Last year against Pit is the only one I'd classify as a "possible choke". They had everything set up and should have won, but hey, Pit was hot and there were other circumstances (Dungy's son) and Pit ended up beating them.

I think this year will go a long way in really determining Peyton's playoff career. I mean they should have everything set up to play in Indy again, but there are also serious questions about their run Def. You don't really want to have to rely on him having to put up 30+ pts in a playoff game. Gets real tough when you start meeting teams like SD, Den, NE, Balt in back to back weeks.

His best bet would be to play in the NFC, he'd be playing for a SB basically every year.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I agree that the Patriots won because they really were a better team, and that Pit won last year because the Colts just kinda failed. Definately looking forward to this season, especally with all the hype the Colts are getting (at least here at home).

20. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    They have to make it to the SB this year. 9-1...that's a great record. The only team to ever have two 9-0 starts in history. I really hope they make it, they totally deserve it if you ask me. I mean, Peyton Manning is one of, if not the best QB in the NFL right now, and he doesn't have a ring on his finger yet?

21. Lank_Pavail

Sep 26, 2002
    The question is: will the Colts be hungry enough to win? Last year, I can understand them not being hungry with the death of Dungy's son. Also taking those last few games off during the regular season messed with the timing.

If not this year or possibly the next, they'll be in trouble due to salary cap issues thanks to throwing so much money at Manning, Wayne, Harrison, and Freeney and could hit a downslope.

22. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I hope they will be hungry enough. It had to be a terrible blow when Dungy's son passed away last year. And I hope they don't sit out their starters at the end of the season again if/when they get homefield advantage wrapped up. Let them play the first quarters, at least, to keep them sharp.

My favorite team has really been in a slump for a while now, so the Colts have become like my back-up team. I can count on Peyton and crew to make football fun for me to watch. Their's is the most exciting offense I've seen in a long time and it doesn't hurt that I just like Peyton a lot. His commercials crack me up, the guy's got a comedic streak working for him there. LOL! :)

23. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    My favorite team has really been in a slump for a while now, so the Colts have become like my back-up team.

you're Raiding the cupboards :p.

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    :p I gotta have someone to watch who can actually win a game! :p

25. Lank_Pavail

Sep 26, 2002
    We'll see, Dawn. They played a god game against a gawdawful Eagles team yesterday. Addai was made to look like a star because the Eagles D has seemingly forgotten how to tackle. :p Peyton merely had to toss a couple passes and manage the game. The Colts D did okay, but they let Westbrook run roughshod over them. If they want that Lombardi, they've got to work on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.