main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Colts thread: Here we learn to love the defense

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by NYCitygurl, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    As an individual player, Peyton is one of the best quarterbacks ever.

But to say that he isn?t, simply because of a lack of rings or SB appearances, is ridiculous, because that completely ignores the ?team? aspect of football.

Football isn?t like basketball, where a single player, like Jordan, can completely take a game over. Peyton isn?t on the field when the Colts defense fails to show up for a playoff game.

It wasn?t Peyton?s fault, a few seasons ago in the AFC Championship at New England, that the D failed to perform, or that Edge decided to find a ?happy place?, like thinking about sunny south FLA, rather than play his ass off in the cold of New England.

The season before that though? how many INT?s did Peyton throw?

That said it is still a quirky thing to say who was the greatest. Some say its Montana based on the rings argument. Strange then, how Bradshaw never seems to get mentioned alongside Montana.

Rings or stats? Was Jim McMahon really better than Jim Kelly?

2. Saruman-the-White

Saruman-the-White Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 1, 2005
    A Colts fan in New York City? :confused:

All I have to say then is 16-7 and 41-0. :D

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It wasn?t Peyton?s fault, a few seasons ago in the AFC Championship at New England, that the D failed to perform,

that's just silly. manning threw a bunch of interceptions and made other poor decisions, leading to them getting shut out. the defense isn't meant to score points, the offense is. manning leads the offense, ergo it's on him to lead the scoring or shoulder the blame if he doesn't.

manning has been repeatedly outplayed by Brady when it counts, and i'd stake a lot of money on brady outplaying him again.

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Missed the Cowboys game, huh? ;)

5. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Actually, it was a simple mistake on my part. The Divisional playoff game in Jan 2005 against New England. The year before was the AFC Championship, which is why I wrote this:

The season before that though? how many INT?s did Peyton throw?

The answer is 4 INT?s.

The next year against the Pats, Peyton was the only one for the Colts that showed up for the game.

Just misspoke on the playoff rounds and respective years, but my point still stands.

6. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, I did see it and was shocked by the horror. :p

7. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    WHAT THE FRAK IS UP WITH THE COLTS RUN DEFENSE!!!??!!

:oops: :rolleyes: [face_plain]

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I didn't know they had one

9. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005

Never had one. This has got to be one of the ugliest games I've ever seen by the Colts.

Jeez!!

10. Baron-Soontir-Fel

Baron-Soontir-Fel Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2005
    Come on, toughen up fellas. I took the 41-0 beating the Jags gave to the Jets earlier this year like a man. :p

11. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Colts just got schooled by my Jaguars! FTW!

Good job Colts giving the Jags 3 first downs in a row due to penalties.

12. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Ouch. :(

That was not a fun game to watch.

13. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Thankfully it wasn't televised here, but I did jump out off the couch when the Giants game told me what the score was going into the second half. The coaches had better get something working on that defense or every team is going to just run the ball and we're back to square one.

14. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    Is 'destroyed' a good word to describe their game yesterday? What about 'drilled'? No? How about 'whacked'?

Either way, they played a poor game. When the Colts were still undefeated, I thought that the Jaguars would be the ones to stop them. It was a divisional game between two playoff teams, at Jacksonville, with Jacksonville having a pretty decent rating on pass defense.

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    The bigger issue in my mind was that the Colts really showed how poor their run defense can be. If they end up playing the Chargers in the AFC Championship game, they're going to have a tough time stopping LT. I think a real problem for the Colts is that when their defense plays badly, it forces Peyton to play flawlessly (which he can do) but not something you want to force him to in the playoffs. On another note, I agree with what above users have said about Peyton, he is a real class act who represents the game well.

16. ObiWan506

ObiWan506 Former Head Admin star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 5, 2003
    I think that's a good comparison. If the Colts don't fix their rush defense and they end up playing a team like the Chargers, their done.

Hopefully they'll use this exposure of their rush defense to get it together now. This could be good for them.

17. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Houston?[face_laugh]

HOUSTON??? [face_laugh]

~Hi-fives the Texans~

Seriously, Houston?[face_laugh]

18. NorCalBirdz

NorCalBirdz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 28, 2004
    I'm personally dissapionted their run defense has turned out to be so astonishingly poor. Now we can't blame their inevitable playoff loss on Manning.

19. JOHNNY-B

JOHNNY-B Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 18, 2003
    If there going to have any type of success in the playoffs, it's going to rest in the hands of, Peyton Manning. There offense is going to have to play extremely well to make a run at a superbowl. Becuase there defense is utterly horrible! God help them if they have to face someone like: LT. (it'll be all over). Peyton has the ability to lead this team deep (with Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne), but he's going to have to take his game to another level. It can be done, but it's not going to be easy, not with that defense. The more I watch him play...the more he reminds me of: Dan Marino. He hasn't quite play with the poise that Marino did, but maybe this year he'll step it up another level, and shut his critics up... Only time will tell, but if they had trouble beating Houston; then the playoffs might be a big dissappointment again this year.

20. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    :_| That was not a good Christmas present. Why? Colts? Why?

21. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Over and done with if that happens. :(

I was hopeful that losing a few road games would be a real incentive for the team (defense) to really play well in the last match-ups of the season. I guess they didn't get my memo about that. :p

22. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Come on!! Where are all the Colts fans?!?! Our team needs us this week!!!!!

GO COLTS!!!!

23. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Go Peyton! :p

I think I'm going to be a nervous wreck on Saturday before the game starts. I hope hope hope the Colts win.

24. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I'm already a nervous wreck!!!

25. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    What time is the Colts game?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.