main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Comic Book Draft: Ten Year Stanniversary

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Apr 20, 2015.

1. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Don't know if it's changed, but at the start of the New 52 her outfit wasn't really outlandish. And her classic outfit is a stage magician outfit so at least it had a reason for being what it was.

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    wtf is this - fashion week?

3. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    in my search for hawkeye feats, i found this:
    http://thehawkeyeinitiative.com/

it takes oversexualized images of females in comics and replaces them with male characters. putting a male in these poses reveals how submissive women are made to look in comics

4. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Emma Frost is just taking things to a whole nother level there.

5. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    so my team have done their prep, and this is their position (it's a risk, but an acceptable one). considering we are on our home soil, and that thundermind has come to us, we allow him first move, and will counter only if he attacks.

we reason that thundermind is bound by the noble eightfold path, and that any deviation from it on his part would result in him failing in his position as enlightenment one, and as result losing his powers.

noble eightfold path ethical conduct (see right action): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noble_Eightfold_Path#Ethical_conduct

yes he may well be the chinese superman, and extremely powerful, but he can only use those powers as a force for good - he can't go round stomping people just in case they're a threat.

so at worst, this fight is a stalemate, or if you attack for no reason, we counter, and you lose, as you have no right to your powers, as you've slipped from the path of enlightenment, and are no longer worthy of them

[​IMG]

6. PearsOfKrissto

PearsOfKrissto Jedi Padawan star 3

Apr 21, 2015
    Zou Kang is a history teacher from China. One day on a field trip with his students to a museum, he stumbled across an ancient scroll with dialect never translated. Somehow, Zou unlocked it's meaning and spoke the words aloud: 'All Hail the Jewel in the Lotus'. This unleashed his siddhis, or supernatural Buddhist powers. That day he explored his new powers and saved a ferry boat from trouble, becoming a legend

sid·dha
    ˈsidə/
    noun
    Hinduism
    noun: siddha; plural noun: siddhas
    1. one who has achieved spiritual realization and supernatural power.

His power is not derived from a particular moral enlightment from the path of the Bhudda. His power is derived from the A. Scroll he read, and B. Enlightenment from meditation to access his siddhis. So even if he turned from Bhuddism, he would retain access to the siddhis. Your team can guess that he could lose his powers, but they would be incorrect. His saving grace, giving him the will to leave the paths when necessary or by just plain choice ( as in he can choose to fight, and in this instance he could, because its a draft and fighting is intended. Esp when his intention to arrive is soley to fight; killing is not necessary, so incapacitation would be key and within reach.) is his "Bodhisattva"

7. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    bo·dhi·satt·va
    ˌbōdiˈsätvə,-ˈsət-/
    noun
    noun: bodhisattva; plural noun: bodhisattvas; noun: Bodhisattva; plural noun: Bodhisattvas
    1. (in Mahayana Buddhism) a person who is able to reach nirvana but delays doing so out of compassion in order to save suffering beings.

8. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    from DC wikia (source: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Zou_Kang_(New_Earth) )

According to Tony Bedard in an interview, Thundermind leads a double life. When he's not Thundermind, he's a nebbish school teacher who is in love with fellow teacher Ms. Wu, who only has eyes for Thundermind. In his heroic guise, he's the most popular and beloved member of the Great Ten -- bright and telegenic, unfailingly polite and possessing a multitude of powers. He's also a reflection of his own culture, especially of the Buddhist tradition. His superpowers are actually "siddhis" or Buddhist supernatural abilities, and they stem from an ancient scripture he translated which contained his magic phrase or mantra, 'All hail the jewel in the lotus.' That phrase is to Zou Kang what 'Shazam' is to Billy Batson. When he utters it, he's transformed.

Also, I've spent all day reading the great ten. He doesn't feature much in that at all (mostly issue #3). Anyways, the god of war he fought kicked his arse, other members of the ten pitched in to beat him
    [​IMG]

9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    As i said, we are ready to counter any attack you make. if you don't attack, we'll take the draw, if you do attack, between us, we've got the goods on you. for a hero with not many feats, you seem to get your arse handed to you in the few outings you've had.

and as I've got mantis, drax, and war machine, and tigra on my team with starlord, and hawkeye fully prepped, on home soil, and providing strategy, I can take you in this fight

10. BartSimpson-SithLord

BartSimpson-SithLord Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Mantis is going to be the key in this fight, I think. Her precognitive abilities combined with the prep will be the most helpful. And, as evidenced in Conquest, she's not afraid to take a mortal wound to further the narrative for her team's victory. Drax and Rhodey are both relatively easily handled. And Clint's tactics...the man jumped onto a magical Kree fighter and blew himself up to get rid of a magical Skrull warship. TACTICS.

But I will say this. The narrative of this draft is and always has been that these characters know they HAVE to fight in order to return to their realities. There is no pacifism. Sure, some may hold punches as is their morality, but there will always be a fight. If we're to argue that Thundermind won't fight due to his beliefs, then there would have been an argument for Guy and John just grabbing a beer and calling it a draw last round. The draft doesn't accommodate that line of thinking. They must fight. They will fight. If need be, he can be under the impression that your team are the ones who trapped him here. Any narrative that gets the fight started, gets it started.

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    fair enough, just a tactical thought.

so if we're to fight, i repeat, here's mantis, with her ability to find a weakness in any opponent, putting a finishing move on the guy who beat thundermind in the last round. If the rest of the guys in my team, with their prep and home advantage, can't create an opening for her to do this to him, i'd be amazed
    [​IMG]

12. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    So this biggest thing, last round, I was pretty not good with my research. My arguements were lacking tact, so last round, is poorly represented by myself. Bi-location is the other shifty trick here. This isn't jsut two places at once, this is as many as Zou would like. Full strength clones, with bi location powers of thier own if they so choose. Mantis isn't going to get to wait around and cheap shot, as well as Quill running around as Thundermind bites into him. Zou works extensively, training and such like any group does with the Celestial Archer. He hit a target 2000 Miles away with ease just to send a message. Hawkeye is going to be attacked, his shots thrown back by TK. Whats Prep giving Quill aside from "Bhuddist...Tall..Handsome...Likes Chocolate"..Add in his ship can't analyze someone outside thier sensors, and what's he going to do, guess?

13. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    this power - yeah, that works well...
    [​IMG]

EDIT: And it's bilocation, he can't create multiple clones:

Bilocation: Thundermind can create a duplicate of himself, to which he is psychically linked, in order to be in two places at once. hen he has no more need of his clone, Thundermind can reabsorb it into his body.

14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    When your Superman says "made in china" on the label, that's your first clue about its quality

dp4m likes this.
  15. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Alright, I'll have to find more bilocation scans, I went off of Comicvine. Good find. Still, Tiger girl, Rhody in a shiny suit, Quill, The Mantis (Who should pray), and Drax, don't have what it takes to take out two of them at once. Kuan Ti is a bit more than 3 humans, a half star lord whos suit makes him a little more durable, and a Thing.

16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    No written evidence suggests so

EDIT: btw, the kuan ti that owned thundermind wasn't even the real God of war, he was a counterfeit creation.

17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Rhody's shiny suit is pretty lethal lately. It has ghost technology which gives it the ability to phase through solid objects, and all manner of weaponry. Not to mention what kinds of alien tech Quill (no slouch in the tech department) can add to his arsenal in our preptime?

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Mantis draws power from every star in the sky, and also has plant manipulation powers (remember we're in the rainforest)
    [​IMG]

19. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    Tk hits the immatterial more often than not. Where does it say he was any less than the original Bhuddist God of War?.and what kind of alien tech would Quill come up with?.how would he even know what to get?. And the defensive side of his tk and tp help tremendously against ranged weapons. Shield. Esp tk shields, super helpful. How are they going to really do that Mich damage before being picked off against 2 thunderminds thanks to bilocation?

20. PearsOfKrissto

Apr 21, 2015
    If mantis was that impressive, how'd she manage to get on a team with 4 other people? Goddess of life, show me some manipulation of said plants. If that were fully it, she should be a hell of a lot more powerful

21. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Mantis gained additional abilities as a result of communion with the Prime Cotati. Her empathic ability enabled her to communicate with the plant-like Cotati and with plant life. To travel in space, Mantis had the ability to separate her physical and astral forms, projecting her consciousness from her body, allowing her to travel interplanetary distances. She also had the ability to transfer her astral form to any place where plant life exists. She could form and inhabit a plant like simulacrum of her human body for herself out of the destination planet's local vegetation. Her fighting skills remained intact, and her empathic abilities were heightened to a superhuman degree and extended to the planet’s flora and biosphere. She could control the vegetation within her vicinity.
    [​IMG]

22. MandaloreYak

MandaloreYak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 29, 2004
    Is there a judge in the house?

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
  24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  25. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I can see why Denny Crane is so smitten with RBG.

Yodaminch likes this.