main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

~~* The Community Thread *~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Amidala_Skywalker, Mar 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I like the split. I like the idea of breaking up the fanfic based on eras, but still spread out for variety.

~aeryn

2. ThePodSquad

ThePodSquad Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 25, 2001
    I generally am very happy with the spilt, I think it'll take a little bit more time to get used to. But it does make it a little easier for me to find Kyp/Jaina fics.

Elli now I'm wondering what the heck you're thinking of....

Hannah

3. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    At the moment, I dislike it cause every time I log on I check the original board, the saga board and the beyond the saga board. It takes ages.

Random stupid question I should probably know the answer to: What's IM?

4. ThePodSquad

Aug 25, 2001
    crystalrain, I'm almost certain you are refering to Instant Message. Think AOL Instant Messanger. It's just a way of chatting online.

Hannah

5. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I haven't really looked deeply into it yet. *shrugs* I'm fine as of the moment, though. ;)

Hannah, I'm very, very random. :p I spit out random things every three seconds . . . like about how pretty and fun that green pen on my desk is . . . or how much I enjoy mechanical pencils with twisty erasers . . . or how cool gluesticks are . . . [face_blush] You'll get used to it. ;)

6. FELICIA_ZEZILI

FELICIA_ZEZILI Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 5, 2001
    I'm alittle uneasy about the change but then I never like change it's part of my personality. Once I become comfortable with something it's hard for me to get out of it.

7. Crazy_Vasey

Crazy_Vasey Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2001
    I'm completely indifferent to the split. I didn't see the point of it in the first place but it's no big deal. I'm too busy right now to start getting into any stories anyway, got a crapload of Uni assignments due in on friday (yay for deadlines that all come on the same day...)

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Though I was totally against the idea, I think I might eventually get used to it. Plus, I can cackle selfishly cuz (no offense!!) but most stories by all the newbies are in The Saga and Beyond the Saga, so there will be LESS people in the Before The Saga board (where most of my upcoming stories are based). Mwahahah!! [face_devil] Aren't I smart? ;) :D

9. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Good idea, Ams. :)

Special friends?

In no particular order here, because I would never be able to decide who to mention first.

Ams, for creating this thread and for giving me the support I needed in reposting my story...thanks girl. :)

DarthBreezy, JadeSaber, and Jedi-Jae...all great writers and the best friends I could ever have. *hugs* :)

DarthLothi...my beta-reader and one of the sweetest and sexiest men alive. Thanks for all the "end sentence here, start new paragraph here," the "how did we get there?", and most of all, the "no putting down your writing, young lady!" Your encouragement has been a big help to me. *hugs*

Darth_AYBABTU: You crack me up, hon. ;) Thanks for all the laughs among the political debates.

Melyanna: Fellow Tolkienite buddy...I'm glad we've been able to get past our disagreements and become friends. You're a great writer, girl. :) *hugs*

P.S. Aragorn is cuter than Legolas. ;) *runs*

Darth_Fruitcake, my daughter ;) : Happy birthday, hon. I'll warn the people on the highway in Florida...or bring you up here to run over your adoptive brothers if they don't behave themselves in FanForce. ;)*hugs*

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Ok AG

[face_blush]

All the sappy syrupy cavity inducing gushing...

ENOUGH!!!!

*GAWK*

I have a list of people that would rival the Oscars... suffice to say I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!

/Oscar moment...

PS...

AG... I've still got your back my freind...

:cool:

11. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    I like the split as to the fact I get to see types of JA fiction that I usually don't get to see.

12. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    So far, its just really, really weird. ;) Instead of checking two boards (fanfic and WR) on a regular (okay, a little obsessive) basis, I'm checking five, just to make sure I don't miss anything! :p

This is going to take some adjustments. :p

13. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    I don't like it, anything else i could say about it would get me kicked off the boards. On that note.......

So how is everyone else?!?

14. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I like it - I usually just read OT fics, and I'm happy not to have to swam through tons of NJO fics just to get them....

As to friends...well, I don't hang out here much, usually I just post on my fic, then go to the Swedish FanForce, but there are some who are rather special to me...

Angel_Skywalker - ah, she might be a fan of Obi-Wan and Yoda, but that's okay...she's very sweet anyhow... ;)

Shining_Star - the one I just love to be incredibly annoyed with... :D

Kithana - okay, so she planned ot kidnap and torture me, but so what? I can handle mad...

Baby_bantha - wonderful beta, great opinions (that is...she and I usually thinks the same....) and just incredible...

Obi-Anne - she's not here much, I know, but she keeps her fic going, and she's just great. And also the Swedish admin. All hail the great leader.... :D

Then there is a bunch of others, as well, but these are the ones I keep closest to my heart. (now, didn't that sound corny?)

'Course hanging around here is a constant threat to my sanity - just a couple of days ago, my teached called us (Star Wars-fans, that is - especially the members of FanForce) a sect....Well, I wouldn't go that far, but yet... ;)

15. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm having to cut down a little on posting cause I'm now checking 4 forums instead of 2 and that takes longer :(

16. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Let's see:

Darth_Fruitcake and Am: These two were very cool when I was a newbie here and introduced me to a lot of interesting people. Thanks!

Marawannabe: Fellow Texan (and along with Melyanna, the inspiration for the "redheads" line in my sig.. :D) and awesome co-writer.

Melyanna: Probably the single person I talk to most from the JC, about anything and everything. DOTF owes a great deal to her and Cyn's input.

CYNICAL21: We always seem to argue in public, but 1) it's fun and 2) it's just a cover-up, I think, for the fact that on many points, we agree far more than we will publicly admit...hehe. Also a great writer and sounding board on many subjects. I once called her "one of the coolest older people I know" and stand by it.

Jedi-Jae: She and I think alike so much as writers it's scary.

DarthLothi: See above - GMTA. Just a fun guy to talk to (and conspire with to drive the girls nuts), awesome writer, and one of those people I'm sure I'd instantly hit it off with IRL.

JadeSaber: Another lady I enjoy talking to/flirting with immensely. Best. Beta. Ever. and general person of many talents.

-Tim

17. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    And I . . . ne'er thought I'd feel this way,
    But as far as I'm concerned,
    I'm glad I got the chance to say . . .
    That I do believe I love you,
    And if, for the times when we're apart,
    You just close your eyes and know,
    These words are coming from my heart . . .
    And then if you can rememberrrr . . .

Keep smilin'. Keep shinin'.
    Knowing you can always count on me.
    For sure. That's what friends are for!
    For good times, and bad times,
    I'll be on your side fore'er more . . .
    That's what friends are for . . .

*hums, skips, frolics* Someone want to continue? :p Bonus points if you know the singer off the top of your head. ;)

*ahem* Upsy. :D

18. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    *laughs* Elli dearest, I don't remember the rest of the lyrics or the singer, so no bonus points for me; but I really love your ups.

Sorry -- that just had to be said. :D *hugs*

19. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    I think I like the split. The classic board still has a fair amoutn of traffic, but the new boards move comfortably slowly -- so far. I'm sure they'll speed up soon, though. Still, it's a pleasant change.

I'm just comparing this thread, about "community" and the fact that we're all writers together, to those threads which are now dividing people according to age, or whether they're newbies. They seem to have sprung up like mushrooms overnight. It's ... interesting.

20. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Elli - was it Dionne Warwick who sang that song?

21. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Great to see regular posts on here! Thanks for making a contribution. Also, a round of applause is needed for those continuing to post their lists. Much appreciated.

In regard to the split, I think it?s operating well so far. The new era boards are rapidly expanding, and we?re seeing some new stories pop up, along with older reposts. The ?classic? board is still chugging along, and life there goes on as usual. All in all, the entire system has been very beneficial so far. I do think checking those extra forums takes a few more minutes, but what is that compared to what we?re gaining out of split?

Interesting point, Jane. I?ve notice all these sudden chat threads springing to life, where membership is based on age. I think that is segregating the community somewhat, but there doesn?t seem to be any harm done. It?s better to be making love, not war. However, the ?Community Thread? still remains open to anyone of any age. We?re all writers. Personally I don?t think I?ll be joining any of the other age chat groups ? I wouldn?t feel comfortable. I?m content just getting to know everyone :).

In any case, I think it?s time for a new question. Remember, anyone can pose a question in this thread and gather reactions. You?re all welcome to go right ahead and take the bull by the horns.

Are you hesitant to move your story into the new era sections, or to start posting a new idea there? If so, why?

Oh, I almost forgot! I have a song stuck in my head, though I don?t seem to remember the title. I was watching ?Boomtown? (anyone seen that series, by the way?) tonight and it involved these following lyrics:

I can see clearly now the rain is gone,
    I can see all obstacles in my own,
    Gone has the dark cloud that had be blind,
    It?s going to be a bright, bright, bright sun shiny day.

Darn, I know this song. I?m stumped when it comes to the author ;).

Am [face_love]

22. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    If the above question gets too boring, you could always tell us about yourself. I mean, knowing your favourite SW characters is nice, though give us some insight into where you live, the weather, what it's like, where you work or go to school, or even your earliest memory. Something that is solely about you ? and no, not science-fiction movies and such.

I?ll post mine up here after I catch twenty winks ;).

Am [face_love]

23. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Well, I'm not really sure what to make of the new system just yet, though I've always been against the split - yet I'll adapt. I've reposted a couple stories and we'll see what happens.

As for your other questions:

I live in Austin, Texas, a very cool place (we have, for example, an awesome local music scene). It gets awfully hot down here, but as a creature of the heat, I'm used to it. I go to school at the University of Texas where I'm majoring in history.

-Tim

24. ThePodSquad

Aug 25, 2001
    Well since I obviously don't write I'll answer the other question.

My name is obviously Hannah as it says at the bottom of all of my posts. I'm 14, I live in a small town in the south, consisting of 4000 people. I don't atttend either public or private school rather I am homeschooled. I get up around eight, maybe get dressed, and do school for 1-3 hours...I do it at my pace so I get done pretty fast. My interests besides sci-fi/fantasy is hockey...and more hockey. I guess that about it for now....

Hannah

25. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Am, the song is called I Can See Clearly Now. I'm most familiar with the version that was in the movie Cool Runnings, which is sung by Jimmy Cliff; but I can't remember whether he's the original singer or not. :)

I was not a proponent of the split; but as others have said before me, I'll get used to it. I'm certainly not hesitant about posting anything there. They're still our very own little fanfic boards -- though it is odd to look at them and see only 1-3 pages after the original board.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona. I love it here. [face_love] We're known for extreme heat, but I adore our weather and can't wait for summer. Nice to see another creature of the heat, Darth_Tim! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.