main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Competition

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Barriss_Coffee, Jun 20, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Marvel is a machine, they make their dates. Same deal with Pixar. Disney is trying to make Lucasfilm & Star Wars that same aforementioned machine. It'll start rolling at that pace soon enough.

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Pixar isn't all that great anymore. Imo its been declining after Disney bought it. The only exception is Toy Story 3, but Pixar had been developing that for years.

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Be fair now, Disney-Pixar stuff had a freakin' fantastic run with the boom-boom-boom-boom of Ratatouille (2007), WALL-E (2008), Up (2009) & Toy Story 3 (2010). Anything after that is gonna seem like a comedown. The fact that they were doesn't help. (Haven't seen Cars 2, don't plan on it. Will check out Monster's University at some point. Brave was just kinda meh.)

Immortiss likes this.
  4. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Do you understand how long it takes for them to develop their films? Including the animation, ect? :p It predates 2006 for sure. While Disney was apart of their productions before the buyout, I'm sure they've taken more of a leadership position now since Pixar is their subsidiary. The point: I see Pixar turning quality into quantity now.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Here is my requisite weekly acknowledgment that the sequel to Adventures of Tintin is coming out in 2015. Professor Calculus is so gonna pwn.

6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, Up is probably borderline-ish but, yeah, I agree that it's likely Disney told them to make a few sequels to grow their brand for merchandising so now they've gotten that out of their system, they're swinging back around to original materiel again. (Finding Dory aside) I think Pixar is gonna bounce between sequel and/or original flicks now. At least I hope they do. They got 2 OG's coming up on the plate and just that "Dory" sequel.

7. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I hope Dory is as good as its predecessor. With Andrew Stanton at the helm, it should be (I hope). I can't see another Disney-influenced disaster like John Carter

8. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Marvel is only making 2 of the movies on that list (and before someone chimes in trying to correct me and say they're making 3, Marvel Studios/Disney does not own the theatrical rights to the Fantastic Four, that is 20th Century Fox).

There are no Pixar movies on that list, so I really don't know why you brought them up.

JP4 has already been pushed back a year and it quite likely going to be pushed back again.
    I have zero faith that we will be seeing Avatar 2 or "ID4-ever" within 2 years, and I consider T5 a longshot.
    The Hunger Games I honestly don't know enough about to render an opinion.
    And if they get Superman-Batman released within 2 years, it will be nothing short of a miracle considering where they are at right now.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I was talking more about Star Wars making the date, and how Disney is making Marvel & Pixar into movie punching out machines that, by God, make their release dates cuz the Mouse wants it so! Which is what they're in the process of turning Lucasfilm into. If anything, if Disney is behind the brand, they make the date.

10. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Maybe EVII can reinvent the summer blockbuster because the las few years have been terrible. Fingers crossed. If it is anything less than epic then it will be game over and $4B wasted. The ball is in Disney's court. Make it count. Make it fun and enjoyable but not for kids. Time to cater for those of us who grew up with it and now have kids of our own. Dark and moody, back to the nitty gritty. The Force.

11. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Or maybe it can be the final nail in the coffin! Nice symmetry there if Star Wars started and ended the blockbuster era.

12. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Star Wars, Batman & Superman and the next Avengers film. 2015's going to be ridiculous.

But for my money, it'll be between World's Finest and Episode VII. I'm getting really tired of watching Iron Man movies and the news about Age of Ultron just makes it seem like A2 is going to be an Iron Man centric film again, like the first Avengers. Unless Joss can pull something special out of the bag I think I'll be skipping A2. Guardians of the Galaxy is the only movie where Disvel will definitely be getting my money in the forseeable future.

13. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Whuh huh? Last summer we had The Avengers, which was a fantastic quality movie that broke box office records. If that isn't a blockbuster, I don't know what is.
    A great movie - like Episodes 4 and 5 - can appeal to both the kids and the adults. That is what I hope to see from Episode 7.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Doesn't Jaws 19 get released in 2015?!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think it's called Sharknado now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

16. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    Independence day 2? Part 1 is the ultimate definition of "cheesy". I have no interest in part 2 and right now Will Smith movies are boring (that's assuming he'll be in part 2)

17. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Well, I'm now officially correct when I said I have zero faith that we'd be seeing Avatar in 2015. They announced today the next Avatar movie will be in 2016.

I predicted half of those 10 movies wouldn't actually be released in 2015. 1 down, 4 to go.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  18. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The "competition" will get the same reception as the competition for the Prequels. I grew a grudge against Spider-Man and The Matrix series because younger teens and hipster types kept comparing them to STAR WARS. While the Prequels aren't the best things ever made, it was just odd being a STAR WARS fan who grew up during the early '80s time to see young people not really that enthusiastic about these movies, about the brand now considered childish or worse.
    I'm interesting in seeing some of those movies, but don't really care about them. I don't think I can be totally thrilled by another reboot, sequel, whatever since most leave me feeling unfulfilled. I'm curious as to where James Cameron will take the Avatar world. People scoff at it not having a totally original story (what does anymore?), but the usage of the story with the Avatar technology was innovative along with using the film's technology as a conduit for introducing the WETA method. The Avengers is the most overrated gigantic blockbuster ever produced. It doesn't even really have an interesting visual style for a film. Many of its settings and dialogue scenes looked like Joss Whedon's TV episodes and I get annoyed by that kind of deadpan sarcastic snappy dialogue when it is overdone. To think people complained about the Prequels looking too clean and neat...
    Furthermore, I wish people would stop thinking a lack of public information means the movie's production is troubled or not happening. Dial down your modern minds of feeling the need to get details on everything every few hours or everyday. This is the way a movie is supposed to get made.

19. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    He won't.