main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Okay, someone REALLY should sticky a thread on "Jedi Costume."--There are so many individual threads that just touch one area.--So, I propose this one because I am going to try to ask all of the questions at once (and provide whatever answers {good or bad as they may be} that I MIGHT know). Sorry for any non-technical terms since I am not familiar with sewing terms (however I do know that a serger is quite dangerous!) As with all things Jedi, your costume may vary, but we are looking for the definitions that match the mainstream, saw it in the movies, costumes and fabrics. This is not law, just a guide.

As things get corrected I will try to post updates to keep this thorough, accurate, and complete.

• Pants
      Definition: Pants.
      Average Amount of Material Needed: Pants.
      Go simple - buy Dockers at Goodwill or ARC!

• Inner Tunic
      Definition: Layer closest to the skin. Crinkly fabric crossing at the neck. Close fitting with sleeves that reach all the way to the wrists where the fabric is particularly bunchy. Tucks into pants?
      Average Amount of Material Needed: ??
      Fabrics
      --Raw Silk
      ----Textured, comes in variety of colors (can you die it?)
      ----Expensive!
      --Cotton Gauze
      ----Textured (crinkly) and can be died
      ----Cheap

• Tunic
      Definition: Layer on top of Inner Tunic. Crosses at the neck. Sleeves are tucked at the bodice. Sleeves are loose fitting and rather droopy (that's a non-technical term) at the cuffs. Bottom should reach to the mid-thigh.
      Fabrics
      Observation: Vertically textured, but I don't know what materials.

• Tabbards
      Definition: Layer on top of Tunic. Y shaped with the stem of the Y going up the back and the forks going over the shoulders and down to almost knee length, and longer than the Tunic. Should be thick enough to add squareness to the shoulders and tabbards at shoulder should be wide enough to go to the vertical line of the shoulder.
      Fabrics
      Observation: Vertically textured, but I don't know what materials. Same as the Tunic, possibly a different shade of color.

• Obi
      Definition: The Obi is the wrap that goes around the waist that is approximately six inches in height. I assume this works like a belt, so what do you use to clasp it? Hooks, velcro??? Anyone?
      Fabrics
      Observation: This seems to be the same material as the Tabbards, and probably should be the same color as the tabbards.

• Robe
      Definition: The flowing, hooded cloak. It should reach the floor in length, but not drag the floor. Has anyone weighted the hem to get it to hang better? (One of my pet peeves is not using a heavy enough material. The cloak should FLOW, not FLOAT! You're not Superman, you are a Jedi, and it is COLD in space. You want a heavy, warm material {at least it should LOOK that way.}) The hood should be full and large and the rim of the hood should be stiffened so as to help it reach out toward the shoulders when it is placed upon the head. The sleeves are full and droopy, and long enough to completely hide the hands.
      Fabrics
      --Indian Homespun - also called Khadi
      ----I am currently researching sources and costs for this material. Will have to be imported.
      --Heavy Wool
      ----Seems expensive ($16-18/yard) but looks great! Flows nicely and I believe it can be died, although you may be able to find it in a color that works off the shelf. Might be a bit warm on the set, but still beats most synthetics.
      --Bed Sheets
      ----Shame on you! :)

• Belt
      Definition: Leather belt that goes over the Obi. Brown or black and quite open to freedom of expression. Approximately 2.5 inches high. Belts would vary from Jedi to Jedi, so we can have fun here. There is so much easy to find info on the belts that it is moot to discuss it here. Search the net, and May the Force be with You.
      Clasps: Please make recommendations on the best clasp m

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Nice idea... lets hop we can make this a the be all Jedi thread.

Oh and obi is not made up. Thats the proper Japanese name for that article of clothing.

3. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    Good info! Also a good basis for branching out (since each Jedi's costume seem to differ from the next, in either subtle or obvious ways.)

As for the obi, it's the wide belt of cloth that keeps a kimono closed. The same purpose it serves for the Jedi tunic. Note that Ben Kenobi gave up the tunic for a kimono-style inner robe, with the accompanying obi.

I am curious about your comment on the inner tunic. Having it reach to mid-calf seems a bit longer than standard. Mace's is the longest tunic I can think of, and it only reaches his knees. A longer one would make for a nice variation, though.

4. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Made edits. Should have read "mid-thigh" and I removed the Obi question.

5. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Raw silk is very dyable, and actually not that expensive. It runs about six dollars at dharmatrading.com.

6. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Wow, this one slipped down the board fast! {bump}

After spending hours at every fabric store in town... I think I am going to use a double thickness of crinkle cotton (gauze) for the inner tunic and the tabbards. It has the closest texture that I can find. For a change of texture and visual interest I think I will be going with silk noil (raw silk) for the outer tunic. Garberdene heavy wool for the robe.

If anyone has any more information to round out the huge list of items, fabrics, etc. I would love to see this post stay around the top. It would make a nice place to get all of your answers quickly...

Thanks,

7. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Raw silk is very easy to dye.. just like dyeing cottom.

And I've said this many times before, but if you're gonna go with raw silk, buy a bolt from Dharma Trading. It makes the price very reasonable (and you WILL use the whole bolt).

I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that this CAN be a definitive Jedi costume thread.

8. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    The Jedi Belt

Two things, one advice the second a question.

In the initial post its ask for comments on how the belt is attached. What I did for mine was use industrial strength velcro fastener to close it at the back, then the wide loop covers up the excess and the seam giving the appearance of a smooth belt.

I have seen some belts using side release buckles at the back, but that doesn't seem to be very flexible to adjust to different waist sizes.

OK, now my question for the experts.

Speaking of side-release buckles, that is the type they used in AOTC for the buckle in front attached to the smaller, inner, belt.

Has anyone found the exact model they used? I've seen many but not with quite the right shaped release mechanism. Also the buckles are metallic (nickel plated?) in appearance. 99% of the time I only see black nylon variations. Did they paint them or are the buckles used actually made from metal?

I did a look around, and found no one ever discussing that particular element of the belt. So any suggestions?

9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Also the buckles are metallic (nickel plated?) in appearance. 99% of the time I only see black nylon variations. Did they paint them or are the buckles used actually made from metal?

Well, it's not impossible to get Metal Buckle. Around mid-last year, someone at RPF, who is staying in Hong Kong was helping others to obtained the buckle. It's not THE buckle IMHO (it's a bit more squarish) but it'll do the job well. And some people who had shopped in HK before had told me that they saw the buckle there before.

Someone at RPF also posted a link to an online site selling such buckle around the same time.

Ya, it's hard to get that buckle; I myself hasn't locate it here so my friend ended up using a Black Plastic one, painted Chrome. :(

10. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Shoe buckles!!! That's what I've got on my belt. If you're not trying to duplicate an actual buckle used in the movies (which you don't need to do unless you're doing a character specific costume), these are a great source! Browse your local thrift shop and you can find countless styles.

In the back my belt attached with a large, 2" plastic buckle. Yes, this does not allow for flexibility in sizing, but I haven't had any trouble due to that. You just need a loop of leather to slide over the buckle and hide it.

11. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    D'oh! :p Now that you said that Jedi_Riibu, I was reminded that I saw a number of backpacks and small bags having either the top portion only, the metal buckle (the other half is made of plastic) or the whole buckle is made of metal. My dad has a bag like that.

Another good source for the metal buckle! :)

12. KissSpooky

KissSpooky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    One thing that I to date haven't seen (it may have come up at some point, I only recently started posting around here) it the question of aging....

One of the things I notice more than anything it the fact that most peoples Jedi costumes look very....new. And it really takes away from their effect, in my opinion. The Jedi basically live day in and day out in their outfits, and so they're bound to have some wear, or a "lived in" quality.

I know a lot of people want to keep their costumes pristine, so they can use them for a long time, but it makes them look very bland, and in some cases, like they just came from the drycleaners, freshly pressed...

This isn't to say that they should be dirty or grimey or whatever. Just a bit more...realistic...

just a thought...

13. Woofer

Aug 27, 2001
    Well part of it is that the majority of the costumes we've seen so far is the Jedi Council.

Mace has an impeccable linen-look, and the others are fairly clean as well.

The only "in use" costumes seems to be Qui Gon and Obi Wan mainly, and even then they appear fairly fresh.

Obi's costumes gets soaked in the Kamino rains and caked in Geonosian dust and still while facing Dooku his tunic is clean.

Anakin in his dark colours shows very little dirt from the arena as well.

Maybe we need to add a new Force skill. "Dry Cleaning" :p

OK, the main reason is, I feel, is that Star Wars harkens back to the day of the movie serial. The good guys in the white hat, et al. In those film they always appeared at their best no matter what happened. Realistic? No way, but its part of the look of the genre.

So should our Jedi costumes have that fresh from the cleaners appearance, or have the lived-in look? Its a personal opinion, but based on Star Wars movies so far, none of the characters were ever seen to be very grimy or dirty no matter what just happened (trash compactor??). I'd say the clean look is the proper look.

14. KissSpooky

KissSpooky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    I'm actually not saying a clean versus dirty, but look at the majority of peoples Jedi outfits seen throughout the pages and homepages, and say the pictures of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon together, or arena pictures from EP II...they're not dirty, they just look more lived in is all I'm saying...

I know it's a silly minor point...like I said originally, just a thought...

15. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Look at Obi-Wan's belt. It is very weathered. I plan on wearing my costume at all possible opportunites to get it "lived in". Not dirty, not torn, just getting the stiff, new look out of it.

16. RebelCommando

RebelCommando Jedi Youngling

May 6, 2002
    In regards to the postings by KissSpooky and Woofer....

I found your discussion interesting in regards to "the clean look" of the Jedi. The very first Jedi we see in the films was Obi Wan Kenobi in SW:ANH and he was as described by Uncle Owen, a strange old hermit. And his appearance was basic and even ratty.

When Yoda appears, he has a similiar look to Obi Wan. Basic, utilitarian, messy, dirty or however one would describe it.

But then later in ROTJ, Luke wears his cool "black outfit" and he fights in it, but I don't recall that it ever looked dirty despite the amount of fighting he does throughout the film.
    And in Episode 1, when Qui Gon and young Obi Wan fight Darth Maul.... they did look pretty slick or clean as I recall throughtout that scene.

But I would attribute such situations to the old Hollywood tradition of people never finishing a meal, going to the bathroom and their hair mysteriously drying and brushing itself after getting wet. And did Luke shower after getting out of the trash compactor or did he just dry off? :)

17. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    Does anyone have advice about doing a Jedi Padawan braid? (Apart from spending months actually growing one :p )

18. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
    Go to your local Hair Accesories shop like Sally's and get the loose hair (as in whole length of hair) in the same or similar color as your hair.

If not possible, and you don't mind using human hairs, go to a hair saloon and try to buy/ask for a small amount in the color of your hair.

Take a small amount that you think will make the thickness you need for your braid and attach one end to a small hair clip/pin/snap by looping around it or tie it tightly etc.

Braid the hair and add colored rubber bands or tie thin ribbon or wind lots of colored threads at any position to indicate the color code you want.

Attached it to your hair.

There is a thread on Jedi Padawan braids, including what each color band could indicate, somewhere in this forum.

For me, since adding braided hair to the hair is a bit fashionable a few years back, I just buy some braids sold at a local hair accesories shop which is attached to this "snap-on" hair clip. It's very thin though IMHO.

19. Darth_Eagle

Jul 19, 2001
  20. MiealDeneb

MiealDeneb Jedi Youngling

Jan 22, 2003
    I agree about not having the really pristine look, but a more lived in one. Not dirty or smelly, just comfortable, it fits the wearer like a glove not an off-the shelf outfit. When I made my costume, I got my boots at a second-hand store so they were already "broken-in". When I made my belt, I bent it and twisted it until the leather was soft and it had creases and wrinkles in it so it wasn't so stiff. In the process of making my leather pouches See Picture The leather was a little too dry and it ended up cracking in some places. My aunt (who runs a shoe-repair) suggested rubbing some oil on them to repair the cracks, but I left them because it gave the pouches a more "lived in" look.
    That and wearing my costume to C2 broke it in! I got several snags on my tabbards from my lightsaber and the buckles at the ankles of my boots caught in my robe quite a bit. But, it still has a clean look and it's not sloppy.

21. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Humm the Lived in Jedi look. A good idea.

Well My cloth belt(Obi or sash) does tend to roll up on me .:D After a day in it at a Convention, I DO look a little rummpled. A few small wrinkles in places, hair sticking out, mullet or pony tail partially out, tuncis and robe askew from fighting off Sith. :) Sometimes even some "Battle" damage I have to repair.
    Seems I'm accidently looking "Authentic". :)

22. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Should have an update to this thread soon. Sent update to MaxVeers. He will be keeping it updated as we get more included in this thread. I have tried to update it with much of the information in the thread so far, as well as other threads that have popped up since this one.

23. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    MaxVeers must be a little busy. Here is a temporary - way down in the thread - update...

Okay, someone REALLY should sticky a thread on "Jedi Costume."--There are so many individual threads that just touch one area.--So, I propose this one because I am going to try to ask all of the questions at once (and provide whatever answers {good or bad as they may be} that I MIGHT know). Sorry for any non-technical terms since I am not familiar with sewing terms (however I do know that a serger is quite dangerous!) As with all things Jedi, your costume may vary, but we are looking for the definitions that match the mainstream, saw it in the movies, costumes and fabrics. This is not law, just a guide.

As things get corrected I will try to post updates to keep this thorough, accurate, and complete.

• Pants
      Definition: Pants.
      Average Amount of Material Needed: Pants.
      Go simple - buy Dockers at Goodwill or ARC! However, any drawstring natural fiber fabric would work. The pleats in Dockers may not be the right look, and finding the right drawstring pants might be difficult. Sewing the pants is probably one of the easiest parts of the costume.

• Inner Tunic
      Definition: Layer closest to the skin. Crinkly fabric crossing at the neck. Close fitting with sleeves that reach all the way to the wrists where the fabric is particularly bunchy. Tucks into pants?
      Fabrics
      --Raw Silk
      ----Textured in that it is not smooth, but does not convey the crinkly texture seen in the official costumes. May be dyed to a variety of colors.
      ----Fairly inexpensive. I've seen it from $2-7 a yard. If you are using raw silk for your tunic's and tabards then you will need a whole bolt (11 yards). See JGoC's post below for a link to a possible supplier.
      --Cotton Gauze (Crinkle Cotton)
      ----Textured (crinkly) and can be dyed. I test dyed a piece after washing and it looks very good. However, it may need more than one layer of thickness as it is very gauzelike, as the name suggests.
      ----Again, fairly inexpensive but you may need twice as much or to line it with something else as it is really thin.

• Tunic
      Definition: Layer on top of Inner Tunic. Crosses at the neck. Sleeves are tucked at the bodice. Sleeves are loose fitting and rather droopy (that's a non-technical term) at the cuffs. Bottom should reach to the mid-calf.
      Fabrics
      Observation: Vertically textured.
      --Searched high and low and cannot find a similar looking fabric. The closest seems to be the Cotton Gauze. It seems to have a good looking texture when washed. I have yet to see how it looks on camera.

• Tabards
      Definition: Layer on top of Tunic. Y shaped with the stem of the Y going up the back and the forks going over the shoulders and down to almost knee length, and longer than the Tunic. Should be thick enough to add squareness to the shoulders and Tabards at shoulder should be wide enough to go to the vertical line of the shoulder.
      Fabrics
      Observation: Same as the Tunic, possibly a different shade of color.

• Obi
      Definition: Did we make this name up? Anyway... The Obi is the wrap that goes around the waist that is approximately six inches in height. I assume this works like a belt, so what do you use to clasp it? Hooks, velcro??? Anyone?
      Fabrics
      Observation: This seems to be the same material as the Tabards, and probably should be the same color as the Tabards.

• Robe
      Definition: The flowing, hooded cloak. It should reach the floor in length, but not drag the floor. Has anyone weighted the hem to get it to hang better? (One of my pet peeves is not using a heavy enough material. The cloak should FLOW, not FLOAT! You're not Superman, you are a Jedi, and it is COLD in space. You want a heavy, warm material {at least it should LOOK that way.}) The hood should be full and large and the rim of the hood should be

24. byrdnest

byrdnest Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2001
    I was Nomi Sunrider last halloween. i spent 90$ on suede for my cape. man, is it beautiful. i wear it when i get all gussied up as well. and the creases add character.

25. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    How much did that suede cape set you back?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.