main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeatherD

HeatherD Jedi Master star 1

Feb 12, 2005
    Hello! I've been doing a lot of research, and I have a few questions that I haven't been able to answer from looking at every photo I can find and rewatching Eps I and II : o)~ The hood has a seam from about the back of the head to the neck seam. How is this seam hidden? Do they put fabric binding over it like they do on the hood/neck seam? Is this also the method they use to hide the back and side seams on the inside of the robe? I think you can see the back inside seam here http://www.padawansguide.com/obiwan/three/promo4.jpg

And what is the evidence for a pleat in the back of the robe? There isn't a photo of this anywhere, so are people inferring its existence from the way the fabric drapes in the back?

Thanks for the help!

2. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    I noticed this too, just this afternoon! But I'm pretty sure the reason he has a seam all the way up is because his hood is huuuuuuge ;o) It hangs way down in the back, so you couldn't use the same method for his hood that you use for the rest of the Jedi. Anyway, seams disappear better on black, so it's not as much of a detractor as it would be on the Jedi's lighter robes.

3. Amanita

Amanita Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2003
    Velvet in Jedi garb?
    I like the patterned velvet idea, very nice. However, velvet doesn't sound like something that would be everyday dress for a Jedi, due to practicality concerns.

But I've got a hard time imagining Jedi wearing the same outfit day after day after day. If you opened a Jedi's wardrobe closet, would you find nothing but copies of the same outfit? I doubt it. I would not be surprised if some Jedi DID have more ornate outfits that were intended for ceremonial use, or perhaps when serving in high-up diplomatic functions where the standard clothes might come across as "under-dressed".

So if you wanted to wear velvet, go for it. Just have a good story ready, such as "Jedi ceremonial garb" or "Formal Diplomatic attire". And not all Jedi dress cookie cutter plain. Just look at Shaak Ti- she looks regal enough to give some senators a run for their money, and to fit in at the coruscant opera houses. Her clothes just look a little more comfortable. Luminara Unduli's no slouch either, what with those graceful robes, and ornate wristbands and apron.

4. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    I am seeing a lot of talk about the differences in different costumes in different Jedi.

In a nutshell.

If you are trying to replicate a particular Jedi in a particular situation or scene, then you should be extremely faithful to details. (Where the seam is, how long the sleeves are)

If however you are not trying to be this specific then practically anything goes!

There were 9200 Documented Jedi during the Clone wars, and practically every single Jedi that we have seen in the movies, or have authentic photos or drawings of, have subtle differences in their uniforms. The colors are different, the fabrics are different, the dimensions are different, the accessories are different, the sewing style is different, and the ornamentations are different. And this is with the accepted "Standard Uniform" We also have pictures of Jedi Knights, Jedi Masters, and Council Members who to not wear the "Standard Uniform" at all, and for the most part, they look fantastic.

Also as mentioned above, I am certain that each Jedi will have wardrobes, which include different clothes, and different uniform parts so that he/she can look different on different situations.

My opinion. As long as you can see the Star Wars influence in your Jedi Costume then it works. Having a good story for it helps too :)

5. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    What would be the best way to hide the seams? I've learned about bound seams and french seams, but I don't have any experience with either. The seams inside the cloak and inside the hood need to be hidden, but how? The only thing I'm certain about is that the "neck" seam is a bound seam.

6. Minder

Minder Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2002
    Keep in mind that a Jedi hood need not have a seam.

Maul has one, but I dont think that the normal Jedi robe has one.

When you cut out your hood piece, simply cut it on a fold (On the side where the seam would go, and you wont need a seam at all.

As for hiding a seam, I have no idea what you even mean. I can help you finish or hide the edges on the inside, but on the outside I have no clue how to hide a seam.

7. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    It's impossible to have a hood without a seam... The regular Jedi cloaks have a seam up the back that doesn't continue to the front of the hood. So, yes, you cut on the fold, but you can't make it curve without a seam somewhere.

Yes, I mean the edges on the inside, sorry if I wasn't clear : o)~

8. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Ok, I hate to bring up the boot question again since it seems everyone is always looking for Jedi boots. But I just finished my Asharad Hett costume, which I originally planned to just use some boots that I wear on a day to day basis for and wrap them up with the tusken raiderish bandages. However walking with bandages on your boots that are held on by nothing other than knots in certain places doesn't work too well.

So now I have to find some boots that I can permanently glue the bandages too. And after spending close to 500 dollars on this costume already I really am aiming to get some super cheap ones, like I'm thinking 30$ at most. They don't need to look fancy or anything just have the shape of a jedi boot. Heck they can be rain boots, hunting boots, gothic boots, combat boots basically any kind of boot that goes up to knee level. Since the actual boot won't be seen at all laces, zippers, and what not aren't a problem thanks in advance. And I am looking for a rounded toe shape preferably, but I'm willing to compromise. thanks.

Forcebewitya.

9. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    When gathering the hood, is it fine to do the regular two rows of 6mm stitches? Or does it need to be done by hand to get larger stitches?

10. Jedi-Magus

Jedi-Magus Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2005
    I'm not much of a tailor, so I cant really help about the hidden seams, I only know it should be done, on the neckline at least. my head seamstress (My Mother) is doing it on mine. The inside on the body of the robe we pressed the seems open(butterfly) and put a blanket stitch on the edges. (mine is being made out of a medium wool coating. thicker then something like a twill.

It does explain those seems a little on The Padawan's Guide site. Incase you didnt see it.
    Padawans Guide
    Illistration of seem

(I know the creator of that site is on this forum, I just wanted to say thanks for that site, BIG help to me in the beggining)

One thing I wanted to ask, thats not been mentioned yet, how big did you people make your hoods?
    I have seen widths between 19 and 28 inches (depth of hood)and length of the fabric piece between 40 and 56 inches (on seem folded between 20 and 28), I did a pre-pattern at 48 inches but it looked to small, so i cut it out at 50 inches, but plan to attach it tomarrow. I would like to check with you all before i sew it on.

P.S. I would really like to see someone update the lists at the beginning of this post with the new info we have found out, or at least expand on it.(maybe with links if possible)
    I wont have time this week. (maybe ill try to make one next week, and see if I can make one better )

11. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    Yeah, the neck seam is the only one I'm certain about! : o)~ I did my mock up 25 by 50 and it looks great. If you're doing gathering like Anakin's (all the way around instead of just in the back like Obi-Wan's) then it'll probably need to be longer than 25.

12. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Hey Forcebewitya, if it doesn't matter what the boots look like under the bandages, why don't you just go to your nearest WalMart, Target or KMart and check out their boot aisle. If you find a pair you like that doesn't go up high enough on the leg, you could always go to a fabric store and buy a yard or two of vinyl or pleather to add onto the top of the boot.

Good luck! :)

13. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    Well this hasn't been much help *sigh* Forging ahead now. I hope nobody tells me after the fact "Oh, you should have done it the other way..." :eek:p

14. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Yeah, I looked around the thing is is that most all the boots that could work are really expensive, or are girls boots (which I did try on but since I wear a size 11 in guys shoes, a girls 10 (the highest size I could find) isnt going to cut it. Any boot for guys is always expensive I'm looking into those rubber waders for duck hunting and fishing but the bottoms of them look really odd. they are cheap though. Thanks for your reply though.

15. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    Well, I've finished my younger brother's robe! I guess I sewed it together in four days... wow it feels like it took a lot longer than that! I'll post some pics tomorrow since he's gone to bed : o)~

16. HeatherD

Feb 12, 2005
    Oh. my. gosh... Is this not the most perfect fabric for a Jedi robe?? After spending an hour or more lamenting about $30 per yd prices in the fabric store (plus not having the right color), I nearly had a seizure when this popped up on the screen. Look at it! It's so gorgeous! And only $9.00 a yard! Wool flannel[image=http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/17000/17639.300.jpg]

http://www.denverfabrics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=17639&Category_Code=wo-fla&Product_Count=13

17. Rebel_Loyaltist

Rebel_Loyaltist Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2001
    Anyone know where I can buy a authentic Jedi costume? I'm in no place to make one nor know anyone who can. On that accord, are there people who do custom orders for Jedi costumes?

18. icbob

icbob Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2005
    try ebay

19. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Just google what you're looking for and you should come across a couple of reliable on-line retailers. Just be prepared to pay a heavy price for whatever you're looking for.

20. BenduShmendu

BenduShmendu Jedi Youngling

Nov 2, 2005
    I'll sell ya mine!

[image=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/wetawd98/100_0364.jpg]

[image=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/wetawd98/1101050004.jpg]

21. grumpydevil

grumpydevil Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 1, 2005
    So now that Halloween has come and gone and it may be several months before I need my Jedi costume again, I was wondering what other costumers do with their costumes. Currently it's just hanging on my bedroom door and I need to clean up a bit. The pants and tunic I can just put on a hanger and store in the closet, but what about the robe? Should I fold it and put it in storage? Make a giant coat hanger? Then there's the belt and the accessories, too.

Any suggestions?

-Kyle

22. Jedi_Kai

Jedi_Kai Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2001
    grumpydevil:
    Edit #2I took your request as what other places you can wear your costume, thus the following. Now I see you may be looking for how to store it. I hang my robe on the back of the door to my sewing room, along with a couple other very long costume pieces. You could fold it up and store it in a container (under the bed?). It would require ironing once you wanted to wear it again, though.

Join Rebel Legion http://www.rebellegion.com and/or The Jedi Assembly http://www.thejediassembly.com/ Be sure to check out the costume standards for membership. TJA is stricter than RL.

Find your local branch and get involved in their projects and appearances. There will probably be a number of opportunities to wear the costume. Not counting CIII and FIDM, my local branch of Rebel Legion has had 9 events this year (counting the Toy Drive next weekend). Photos on my host: http://public.fotki.com/Kait/star_wars/

Edit Well, I've figured out you're in Portland, Or. That puts you at the furthest northern end of Endor Base for Rebel Legion (covering NoCal and OR) You're right next to my base...I'm CO of Alpha Base, WA chapter. Sad to say, not much happening in Portland. But I do know there are a few folk there who are members of Rebel Legion but they don't have a separate base or outpost. If you wanted to drive that far, you'd be welcome to do things with us http://www.alpha-base.org

Then there is Orycon http://www.orycon.org/ I usually go and have a fan table for Rebel Legion. Sometimes a couple others from Seattle attend. And then we pick up the RL guys in Portland.

Also keep an eye on http://www.sfnorthwest.org/northwestcons.html#cons for Cons at which to wear your costume and meet others.

23. ExusAlceron

ExusAlceron Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2006
    can someone please provide me with a link to a very detailed tutorial to making the inner tunnic. I have been confused about the inner tunic for a while now and would greatly appretiate it. may the force be with you.

24. obi-dave_cannoli

obi-dave_cannoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 23, 2005
    for the most part, the inner tunic is just like the outer tunic except the sleeves are not as loose. three excellent sources for more info and pictures are:

http://www.padawansguide.com/index.shtml
    http://www.rebellegion.com/jedigarb/
    http://www.jedi-academy.com/ep1_kenobi_tips.html

25. Spencer_P

Spencer_P Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 19, 2005
    Hey Forcebewitya:
    I've never made a Jedi costume, but it seems you would want to get some good boots, since cheap boots might be rather uncomfortable for walking around in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.