main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    A tip on the Tabbords fabric length: Try your height first.

EXample: I'm 5' tall, my tabbords ended being 5' long when I figured how and were Iwanted them to lay.

OBi Tip: This turned out to be as long as I am tall as well. Use the Hieght forumla for it for fabric needed. I know how to make 'em.

2. buster726

buster726 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2002
    This seems like the best place to ask my question. I'm looking for a site to purchase replica boots for my Kit Fisto costume. I tried this site motorcowboy but the boots there seem to be the wrong color/style any help would be great. Also anyone know how to make green gloves for his hands.

3. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Humm Kit Fisto's hands? ithi9nk thsoe are latex appliances. Not "cloth'. be difficult to do though, Ihaven't done anylatx stuff yet. if i do I'll start with something small, like ear tips. or something:) I WOULD LOVE to doa female version of a Nautolin(Kit's species), but change the eyes some so they'er more human.

Mynn

4. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Partial shameless bump...

I ended up making my robe out of 12oz brown denim. Although it does end up being rather on the heavy side, the color, drape, and flow seem to be excellent. And it came in at less than half of what wool would have cost. I used the pattern on the Rocky Mtn Fan Force. I think the pattern is a little too short (inch or two) but worked out really well. I had to send the author a few questions, but in the end I am very happy with my robe.

5. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Hmm, not sure why the clickie in the last post didn't work. Try this...
    Rocky Mtn Fan Force

6. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    When you put the link in you didn't have the http:// I'm guessing :)

7. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    This thread is great, they should make it a sticky. Who's the moderator so we can harass them into doing? :D -- It's very informative and helpful, although I think it lacks a bit in the more obvious help, like pattern suggestions for those of us not creative enough. *sheepish smile*

8. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    See three posts above for a link to a pattern for the robe. They will have more patterns in the future.

The simplicity pattern 5840 can be picked up at any Walmart and works, but is not going to be the way I will go.

Perhaps you did not see the three links in the VERY FIRST MESSAGE. Amber's Jedi Meditation Chamber has lots of patterns, and the other two have lots of reference photos.

Thanks for the feedback. As I get further along in my costume and research I will add more info.

9. Stubbzilla

Stubbzilla TFN Costumes Staff star 2 VIP

Jan 30, 2001
    We also have a tutorial on our website.

www.azeem2000.com

You just click on the "Jedi" section.

10. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    Wow, I'd forgotten I had posted here.. Hmm, thanks, I don't think I had noticed the links. I've visited them now, and they've been helpful with my robe designing. And I've checked out your site before, Stubbzilla, very helpful!

11. AlexiAlexander

AlexiAlexander Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    For the obi I reccommend usibg a very stiff interfacing so it doesn't roll on people who have less than flat stomachs. For fabric i always recommend wool and linen. They look and feel good. Unfortunately they are hard to find here in Texas and they are expensive. If you are making your costume on a budget and you have plenty of time, JoAnns fabric and crafts is a national chain that puts a 50% off coupon in their semi-monthly circular. You can save lots of money with it but, it is only good for one cut of fabric. the savings make it worth the wait.
    Thanks for the raw silf suggestion that sounds comfy. Muslin is also a good material to have against the skin.

12. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Bumping

13. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Hey, thanks for the bump!

I can add some legit material in addition...

I ended up making my tunics out of garment weight leather. It is warm, but not overly so. It was however, pricey. I spent about $150 on my tunics, tabards, and obi. However, they look, move, and feel stunning! I'll try to get some pics soon that I can post.

For the food capsules I was planning on doing something different and found something that seems to work and is quite cheap. I got $.48 mini highlighters from staples. The look VERY COOL! They have neat ridges and details. I glued them shut (don't want highlighter getting on my leather!) and painted them. However, they have soft plastic clips. So, I crazy glued them onto the small leather strap that goes around the belt. They seem to be holding but I haven't done any stick banging and running around with them on yet.

As an extra tip, try "Gorrilla Glue". Stuff will (literally) hold a hammer head onto the handle! (Yes even while hammering a nail :p ) Stuff is outrageously strong and works on everything. I'm going to break apart everything that I have used glue on so far and re-glue it with this stuff. (No I don't own stock in it.)

14. Stubbzilla

Jan 30, 2001
    I've gotten some emails that the McCall's 2433 "Space Nomads" pattern is discontinued. Just a heads up.

15. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Ok I have some ideas for my costume. I am trying to make it unique without letting it look fake...does anyone have like a resource of costume images (not from the movie but fan made or EU) that I can scour for ideas?

16. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I am finishing up my costume right now. I am awaiting the boots in the mail, and making the belt. I just finished up the stitching of the cape today.

Forcebewitya!

17. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
  18. ChimealHeltei

ChimealHeltei Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2001
  19. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Nice. But I would lose the T-Shirt under the tunics (or else where a v-neck). It distracts from the V shaped lines of the tunics and is too bright white.
    The arms of your cloak look a little long, but if they don't drive you nuts then it looks nice. I bet it flows nicely when you walk. What fabrics did you use?

20. ChimealHeltei

ChimealHeltei Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    Heavy cotton fabric, I think. But the costume isn't made by me. I bought it from a guy, who had two of them, 'cause a friend of him didn't want his one. The belt and so on is made by me.

21. jedimaster220

jedimaster220 Jedi Youngling

Jul 23, 2003
    another material you could use is a brushed wool and if it doesnt come in a dark brown or black you could always dye it or something, I went to the local fabric store around town and found the brushed wool. I think it wont be to hot when worn in the summer time over all the rest of the outfit.

22. Stubbzilla

Jan 30, 2001
    Has anyone used Silvercloth for a robe? It's brown, I don't know why it's called Silvercloth, except that you can store silver things in it. I am wondering if it pills up, and how it drapes. It's kind of flannel-y, but not as fuzzy.

23. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Stubzilla I'm familiar with Silver cloth--although I've never used it for costuming. It has a much better drape to it than felt, and has a much softer hand. It is a much higher grade material and will not show piling as quickly plain old felt. I think it would be worth testing out for a robe, for sure. However, it is MUCH more expensive. If memory serves it is around $15-18 a yard and is only 36" wide. It is mostly used to line silver chests, polish silver and make silver bags. It is also called "Pacific Cloth". ~~~Ferd :)

24. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Hey all.

I am trying to put together a semi Mace Windu costume. I plan to alter it a little bit here and there later to make it to my own character. But for the time I am aiming it to look more like Mace Windu's.

Thus far I have found:
    Food Capsules: Pen caps found at most business stores (Staples)
    Belt and Leather Pouches: Primrodo gave me the name of a good guy.
    2 tunics, tabbards, obi and robes: Currently being put together by a freind in a different chapter.
    Pants: Just going to buy white khakis.

I am having difficulty finding boots for the costume and am wondering what else I am missing.

25. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Personally, I wouldn't buy khakis. If I see you in costume and notice a pocket or a zipper - the image is shot.
    Making a pair of drawstring pants from an off-white cotton is about one of the easiest things you can make. No pockets. No zipper. And a lot cheaper than khakis.

Boots. Been having trouble with those too. Hard to find knee high, brown, leather boots. I'm waiting on one custom quote and then I'll give up and buy the $300 ones from motor cowbow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.