main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side The Complete Jedi Costume Guide

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Jyro-Kyrn, Mar 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreenGreatWarrior

GreenGreatWarrior Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Does anyone have any instructions on NJO Jedi Costumes (the black costume Luke wears in ROTJ). In my fanfilm we have two males and a female, the males wear the same as ROTJ Luke, but I don't know what the female should wear since I don't read EU. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Vaderkahn

Vaderkahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    My wife and I are working on a sithy/NJO original costume for me for Dragoncon and found a black suede-like material at Wal-Mart for $4.50 a yard. I got a yard to play with, just to see how it would hang, stiffness, etc. It looks awesome, so we went back and picked up several more yards. We're using the Simplicity pattern (don't have the number) that has the wizard robes, not the "star warrior" pattern. The sleeves will need to be a bit smaller, but I think the finished product should look nice.

---
    Vaderkahn

3. Vaderkahn

Vaderkahn Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 8, 2002
    O.k., almost finished with my Sith cloak. The black suede just lays beautifully, really drapes without being too heavy.

I have a question for folks on tabbards - I have two options. First of all, I'm going with gray to offset the black. I have a gray cloth tabbard from a Jedi costume I bought a few years back - it's not bad and looks o.k. against the black. I also have gray pleather which I've considered making into tabbards to get the AOTC "armor" look. I'm just worried it may be too shiny when completed. Is there a way to buff the shine down or should I just go with the cloth?

Also - If I use the cloth, I've noticed the shoulders round a bit too much, and I'm considering adding shoulder pads under the tabbard to both help the tabbard stay on straight and give it the slight flair. I have a pair of the soft, small Simplicity ones used for ladies dresses that I could cover in the same material as the tabbard and hide underneath. Anyone else use these or should I just try some stiff interfacing?

4. Jyro-Kyrn

Jyro-Kyrn Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Ani's tabbards are shiny, but darker in color. I would think that the cloth would look better, but it is hard to tell without photos to compare.

I would think that the interfacing would look less noticeable than the shoulderpads.

5. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Bump...this really needs to be stuck.

6. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    My costume is almost finished. Everything except the pants and robe are LEATHER!
    The Robe is Denim. Flows WONDERFULLY! Heavy. Not too bad for heat though.

Costume Pics

7. SithKittie

SithKittie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2003
    ok, sorry, been following this thread for a while and i had to chime in now. I've found some boots - pretty darn accurate - on ebay, just search for riding boots. I've seen some with the buckles and everything...look like replica boots almost. My original boots weren't completely accurate (laceups that I had from a long time ago) but I just purchased a new pair over ebay that are much better, so its worth a shot for the *taboo word* inexpensive costumer (i know its a bad phrase but some of us just don't have the cash, ne?)

Other thing, about the pants - i originally made pants for mine, but they got fudged up teh night before i was gonna wear them, so i used Khakis, and honestly, i'm glad I did. - pockets, bathroom time (know what i mean?) anywho, the pockets and zipper don't show. If the tunics and tabards are made correctly, they will cover the zipper and side pockets - not sure about back pockets, mine didn't have any.

oh, kit's hands - I was talking to my H.S. art teacher a while back about how to get teh "skin/latex" look without actually using a mold and all that jazz (trying to figure out lekku, course :p) and she suggested stitching muslin how I wanted it and mixing glue (homemade was what she suggested but she said storebought would work ok, like elmers) and whatever colour paint I wanted and "painting" it over the muslin. I haven't tried it yet, but it may be worth a shot unless you want to do all the fun playing with latex >_<

ok, that's my, uh, three cents :p

8. Dishnu

Dishnu Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2002
  9. Darth_Eagle

Darth_Eagle Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Hmm, the list of Commercial Patterns that can be used for the suit is missing . . . ?[face_plain]

May I? :D

10. Eeth_Koth_is_dead

Eeth_Koth_is_dead Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2003
    Now if I could only make an Adi Gallia Headdress...

11. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    vaderkahn: try interfacing inthe tabbards. that should make it a bit stiffer and take the roundness away. also, if u do the shoulder tuck in the outer tunic, the fabric under the tabards should get rid of the need for shoulder pads/amour.

12. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    hey, i finally finished getting the text up for my robe tutorial, so here's the link:www.geocities.com/costumes118/robetutorial.html

I don't have any graphics up yet, but if you're lookin for a how to, it's up :) hope it helps somebody

13. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I'm doing research on the Jedi costume and I have a question. Is there a place you can get the pattern for the Jedi Robe online and if not is there a reliable place that sells them for somewhat cheap?(I'm in 9th Grade so I'm on a budget)

14. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    nope, no official pattern that I know. I had to make up my own based on a kimono pattern and little snitches that I found at Padawan's Guide and Amber's Meditation Chamber. (sry, can't think of hte links off the top of my head) I put down as much as I could of how i did it in my tutorial, linked in my last post. I dunno if that would help at all.

As for people who sell them cheep, I didn't find any. Most were a minimum of 100 USD. and you still don't always know what you're getting.

15. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    Actually, the Simplicity pattern is a pretty good starting point. I'm out of town right now and don't have access to the number. Go up about six messages in this thread and PM Darth_Eagle. She should have the simplicity pattern number. Or try going to Azeem's web site (check his sig line). I think he references the patterns.

16. rogue_09

rogue_09 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    What are the best patterns you guys have found for the tunics? I bought a Simplicity bathrobe pattern today. It should work quite well. I also have the actual costume pattern from Simp. It's quite inaccurate, but the basic tunic pattern looks about right.

17. SithKittie

Jul 5, 2003
    i'd go with the simplicity jedi pattern. It's basically just a karate gi, but that's all the more you need for a start. fit it for the inner tunic. and lengthen the sleeves for the tucks for the outer tunic. in short. That's not all, but pretty much. :) Or any other pattern for a kimono or Karate gi. It's all in how you modify it.

18. Jyro-Kyrn

Nov 26, 2002
    I got my new boots and have been wearing them to break them in and find any logistical issues with them. I did find a problem.

Pants.

I would highly recommend sewing in some elastic stirrups on the bottom of the cuffs. Otherwise, your pants will have a tendency to pull out of the boots and puff up just below the knee. Doesn't look so good.

19. BRAIN_BALLS

BRAIN_BALLS Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 29, 2003
    Okay? I just finished reading this thread? ::whew:: I noticed that a couple of folks ran into the problem of finding the Jedi boots. I found a pair at my local second-hand sporting goods shop downtown. If anyone has one of these stores in their town/city, you may want to check it out. Hopefully this has helped you in your quest to become a Jedi Master.

PS. If any Mods are reading this, could you please sticky this useful thread?

20. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    I live in Houston and there are alot of stores that could help me?

Does anyone know where I could get a Jedi costume or where I could buy materials that help me make Jedi robes.

21. BRAIN_BALLS

Sep 29, 2003
    Have you read the posts on the first page? There are all sorts of posts in this thread that'll tell you what sort of cloth you'll need... and there are also some other posts that can tell you where to look for them. All you have to do is go back a couple of pages and read. Wal-Mart sells some good cloth. If there are lots of stores where you live, you should have no trouble finding at least one Wal-Mart and a craft shop. They'll both have your fabric for you.

22. shadesaw

shadesaw Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2003
    Sorry did not read the more closely. Thanks Brain_Balls.

23. BRAIN_BALLS

Sep 29, 2003
    Sure thing. Don't appologize... just read it all before you post. :)

24. Dikion

Dikion Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    In my quest for my costume I found these boots. Just thought I'd check what others thought. They do have a zipper down the inside. But I don't think it would be too noticable.
    So, what do you think?
    DocMartin boots

25. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    They should work just fine :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.