main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Complete Season Five DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Apr 12, 2013.

1. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    Is the audio sync issue on both Blu-ray and DVD? Also, does each region have the same number of discs for the complete series set?

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I contacted both early yesterday. Even if it did work on the PS3, I would have been kinda pissed about not being able to play them on the theater system.

I think it's just the Blu ray so far.

3. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Yes like it is the same discs for all countries but with different packages, it's the discs from the normal season boxes put together with a different packaging and an art book and episode guide. It's 14 discs ( for blu-ray ) :
    3 discs per season except season 5 2 discs.

Ok, when they answer you, tell me ;)
    I'm wondering if there will be the same problem with the complete s1-5. Mine will arrive tomorrow but I'll be home in a few days.

4. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Ok... so I stuck on the Maul arc again on a different blu-ray player and tv today. I did notice the syncing problem with Obi-Wan when he's antagonizing Maul in The Lawless however I do not have this problem on my blu-ray player set up in my room. Now, only reason I can think of why this is happening on one system and not the other is that I recently updated my blu-ray player firmware in my room. The other blu-ray player that I used today has never been updated.

It seems strange that one system I noticed it but not the other. Perhaps its the firmware on the blu-ray player that is the problem NOT the actual discs themselves? It does say sometimes you have to update your firmware...

5. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002

While we’re at it, we should contact them about the framing issues in the first season. If someone can confirm that these are still present on the complete series, I would appreciate it (even though I’m just about positive the issue has never been corrected). Check the following:

Destroy Malevolence: 1:29:32 Frame opens up to a full 1.78:1 when Obi is running
    [​IMG]

Cloak of Darkness (I’ll get the time stamp later)
    Close up shot of Ventress laughing is misframed.

The Gungan General: 1:38:04 (watch the sparks carefully, they are in front of the black bars)
    [​IMG]

cwustudent likes this.
  6. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    DarthMarino I'll have to go back and check my Season 1 set, but I don't remember any framing problems. Do you have the original disks or one of the repackaged sets?

Ani501st I'll post their response as soon as I get it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

7. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    I originally had the day-one digibook. I ended up selling it for the repackaged version and those discs also had the problems. I pretty much know that the problems are still on the complete set but I would just like some confirmation and just to raise some awareness.

8. Darth_Harmon

Darth_Harmon Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2005
    Sparks in front of the black bars was clearly LFL going for a 4D experience.

9. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    KenobiSkywalker You said that the syncing problem was on your bedroom system but not on your theatre system? Can I just query by what you mean by calibrated?

Just I get the impression the problem is more down to firmware then the actual disks themselves. I did update my firmware in my bedroom system but the firmware for the blu-ray in the theatre system I noticed a lagging but I don't tend to use the system that isn't in my bedroom. This is curious...

10. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    Certain audio receivers have the ability to delay the audio in case it makes it to the amp before the video signal makes it through the TV. I don't think it's a coincidence that several people noticed this though. I probably own 800 DVD's/Blu-Rays and can't remember the last time I bought a professional disc and noticed the audio being off like this. Again, it's not severe, but if we can bring it to WB's attention, we should.

11. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Ah I had no idea that audio could be delayed like that lol.

My sony blu-ray player in my room is about 6 years old, gave it a firmware upgrade earlier this year, and my Samsung TV is just over a year old. Different make and model for both. But the theatre system both blu-ray and tv are the same make and age - 5 years old.

How would one find out if the tv is able to delay audio?

12. TK421-677

TK421-677 Jedi Padawan

Mar 10, 2012
    So I know this is a thread dedicated to the season 5 blu ray, but my comment is about the complete series box set.

Is anyone else on the fence about buying it since it doesn't come with the movie or the bonus content? I mean, a year from now, after all the extra episodes have been released, isn't it a foregone conclusion that they'll release another complete set?

13. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I did notice it when I watched again in my theater. I had just bought a new receiver for my bedroom the day before and hadn't set the speaker delays yet which exaggerated the offset.

I doubt it's a firmware problem, I keep all my players up to date.

DarthMarino Do you have the Blu rays or DVD's, and was it just a single frame these glitches in? I'm pretty surprised I didn't notice the picture jumping to the wall off a 16ft 2.39:1 screen. Mine are region 1 blu-rays and about a year old.

I'll check the times you listed when I get home. If I catch it I'll write them again.

14. Ani501st

Mar 18, 2013
    Well, I don't think there will be a complete series set. Disney does not own the distribution rights for season 1-5 so it will probably impossible to have a complete series set.

15. TK421-677

TK421-677 Jedi Padawan

Mar 10, 2012
    Oh, bummer. I hadn't thought about that. I guess that's why the box set doesn't come with the movie either, since it was distributed by another company?

16. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    They are all single shots, not single frames. I imagine whatever they use to make these renders in 1.78:1 and the black bars are put on a top like a matte. These mattes were not done correctly in these select shots which is why you have missing bars in one shot and sparks in front of the bar in another. The TV versions were cropped from the 2.40:1 image.

17. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Are we blaming Disney for the sorry state of affairs that is the home releases now? Really!? Go hunting for the threads on previous season box sets. They've been pretty lousy from the start! Particularly here in the UK, where the storybook boxes of seasons 1 and 2 never even got a release. Then there was the controversy after season 3 when they dropped the art book from the releases. And you have the picture issues within episodes on top of that.

Seriously, the home release treatment has always been incredibly half assed. Lay the blame where it's due, not on an entirely unrelated issue.

18. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Right, but they had to have fixed it. A single frame I could have missed, but there's no way I wouldn't have noticed an entire shot over the dozen or so times I've watched those episodes.

19. Ani501st

Mar 18, 2013
    For the movie it's not that, the movie was distributed by Warner like season 1-5.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Released by Warner Bros.

21. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Ah fair enough.

I really didn't notice it on one tv but the other I did. I'm a bit baffled. As long as the problem is fixable and they can send out the discs with the correct sync on it. I don't mind keeping the set until they sort the problem :p

Who should I email about the issues? I'm in the UK so I don't know if it would be anyone different...

22. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Who did you order them from? I emailed Warner and Amazon. I'd start with Amazon UK if that's who you got them from.

23. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012
    Thanks.

I'll email Amazon UK since that is who I ordered from. I am reluctant to return the item without new discs being made, especially since my bedroom system is barely noticeable that I didn't notice the problem until I saw it on a different set up.

Though talking to other people on another problem they think its better to email Warners and Lucasfilm rather then Amazon since they are just the distributor and not the manufacturer.

Hmm I wonder if one of the problems is if compressing 20 episodes into 2 discs is the problem? Some people, I've read, can't even play the blu-ray at all.

24. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I doubt it. Not being able to play them at all sounds more like a firmware problem.

25. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Fair enough.

I'm gonna email Warner Brothers in the UK and see if I get a response.