main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Complete Season Five DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Orrelios, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Count me among those who can't even play the discs from Season 5 of the complete box. Updated my firmware and everything. This is stupid.

Is there some other place to get new firmware from? I have an LG BD630, and I tried updating through the player which said there was no new update... but then managed to install a new update from the website via USB drive. No updates since March, though.

2. Lordtyrannusaurus

Lordtyrannusaurus Jedi Padawan

Oct 16, 2013
    I e-mailed Bill Hunt at thedigitalbits.com as well. He has been in this business since the heydey of DVD and has great contacts for this sort of thing. Let's get the word out about the sync problem. Maybe it'll get fixed.

3. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

If you've got an alternative player try that first... It does seem ridiculous. Warner Brothers have seriously ballsed up with this release.

Hopefully they'll get right on it and fix the problems. I'd suggest emailing Warner Brothers. Amazon will just replace the discs and I'd imagine you might have the same problem but its worth a shot if a replacement set works.

So far we have this list of problems confirmed:

- audio syncing problems (appears to be on the standalone S5 blu-ray (and DVD?)
    - discs from Season 5 of the complete box set do not play

In my email to Warner Brothers I have mentioned both of these things so its best if we just contact them if we have any of these problems. If there is enough people complaining then they will have to do something about it.

4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Perhaps unrelated, but I cannot play my THX-1138 BD unless I plug a flashdrive into the back of my BD player (oddly, it only works with the back USB port, not the one on the front of the player). Apparently I'm not the only one, either. Perhaps your issue can be resolved in the same way?

5. DarthMarino

DarthMarino Jedi Master star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    OK, here are the 3 known framing errors with time stamps:

Season One, Disc 1, "Destroy Malevolence", 1:29:32
    Frame opens up to a full 1.78:1 when Obi is running
    [​IMG]

Season One, Disc 2, "Cloak of Darkness", 40:04
    Close up shot of Ventress laughing fills almost entire screen. I put lines approximately where the bars should start.
    [​IMG]

Season One, Disc 2, "The Gungan General", 1:38:04
    (watch the sparks carefully, they are in front of the black bars)
    [​IMG]

6. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I thought those aspect ratio issues were fixed?

Also, could someone upload some scans of the episode guide book that comes with the complete series set so I can see what it looks like inside? It's so I can deicde whether to get my local release of the set or purchase America's collector's edition.

7. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002
    A 4th framing error (thanks to jala12 at blu-ray.com).

Season Two, Disc 1, "Landing at Point Rain", 1:41:02
    Smoke effect is rendered above bottom black bar.
    [​IMG]

8. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    There is also another one in the Gungan General when a pirate gunship is firing at the Republic shuttle, the lasers go through the black bars, almost creating a 3D effect, I can't do screenshots though.

9. DarthMarino

Jul 18, 2002

Season One, Disc 2, "The Gungan General", 1:36:01
    Multiple laser bolts appear in front of top black bar.
    [​IMG]

10. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    I spoke to WB Australia this morning informing them of the issues that have been reported and they said they have checked the sets and haven't noticed the issues reported. Of course they wouldn't when I just let them know this morning. I'll bet they will look silly if they get reports when they're released here of these issues.

11. Lordtyrannusaurus

Oct 16, 2013
    It's just ludicrous that they "didn't notice". I've tried my set on 3 tvs, with 3 players-- a Sony, Magnavox, and PS3-- and the sync issue is there whether Warner chooses to "notice" it or not. If this was a Harry Potter movie and the sound wasn't synced, there'd be corrected discs out in a month. Maybe as more people contact them, they'll take notice.

12. JOR EL96

JOR EL96 Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2013
    I don't have surround sound speakers or any home theatre set up nor will I ever get any because of very near neighbours. Does the fault show up whilst just using speakers built into the television? It may be something to do with the sound being split between different speakers. If it is this then it shouldn't show up when watching it just using TV speakers.

13. Lordtyrannusaurus

Oct 16, 2013
    It is out of sync with HDMI straight to the TV as well as through the receiver.

14. JOR EL96

JOR EL96 Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2013
    Oh dear looks like a disc fault then. Hopefully warner with resolve this swiftly.

15. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
  16. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

I didn't notice it at first on my bedroom tv but it doesn't always happen. The majority of the dialogue is in sync with the movement of the character's mouths, but sometimes it slips. When I played The Lawless on the tv downstairs the problem stood out for me more. It's worse on one tv but not the other. I noticed it on my bedroom tv when Satine says 'Don't listen to him. Obi'. The word 'Obi' is said before the character's mouth has even formed the movement to say it. But the rest of the scene appears to be ok though Obi-Wan's dialogue could be a bit off, I'm not sure, but his speech being off was noticeable on the tv downstairs.

There is definitely a problem affecting everyone.

If they get enough complaints and are told exactly where we have the problems then Warner may have to make the set again, and would probably have to add a third disc as well. Better for people to get in touch with Warner then not at all. There is a chance issues like this can be fixed. And since they have produced a faulty product they should, IMO, fix it.

17. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Just out of curiosity, why would Warner need to add a 3rd disk?

18. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Possible, maybe, trying to squeeze 20 episodes onto two discs could be a reason why there has been a few problems with the set. Too much data being compressed or something?

I mean, for me, I don't mind, since the sync problem is only mine and heck I didn't even notice it, even when I was looking for it, until someone pointed to a specific part. Possibly, maybe, I don't know, trying to squeeze 10 episodes on per disc has caused the syncing problem too?

19. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I'm getting the DVD, where the episodes are spread across four discs like the earlier ones, and I guess the Blu-ray problems aren't an issue on it (or does the DVD have the same issues? Has anyone of you gotten the DVD instead of the Blu-ray and noticed anything?)

20. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

The DVD has 3 discs not 4. But I can't help you with your other question however.

21. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    That wouldn't affect it. They aren't compressing anything more than they did in the past. They didn't fill the disks to capacity in the previous seasons, and since they cut 2 episodes which freed up ~8GB, there wasn't a need for a 3rd disk.

22. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Ah ok, fair enough. Thanks for correcting me :)

23. Ani501st

Ani501st Jedi Padawan star 3

Mar 18, 2013
    Did Warner answered you ?

24. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I have yet to receive a reply from Warner.

25. hlc88

Sep 3, 2012

Not yet. I did get an automated reply saying they aim to respond within one working day. I'll give them to the middle of next week and then send another email. But it could be they are investigating the issue before answering.