main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Complete Star Wars Timeline with Viable Legends

Discussion in 'Literature' started by MasterDarkra, May 3, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MasterDarkra

MasterDarkra Jedi Master

Apr 26, 2006
    Greetings all. Before I begin, I wanted to express my appreciation to you for reading this post. I’ve put a lot of thought into the foregoing. Henceforth, I kindly ask that only those that are actually going to post information toward the project to be involved. Posts that are critical of the project, or simply add no value to what we are trying to do are not welcomed.

A Timeline That "Doesn’t Exist"
    [​IMG]

"Where can I find a canon and legends media timeline that uses canon as the baseline?" I asked on the popular Star Wars subreddit. The response was summed up well by one of the posters: "It doesn't exist".
    So, after an excessive amount of searching, I’ve realized that there truly is no resource for the Star Wars community with respect to a truly complete timeline that includes legends material that has not been debunked by canon material. The opposite has been done, that is a complete legends timeline, using legends material as the baseline and adding canon material that coincides with it. That timeline can be found here. It’s absolutely fantastic, and is without a doubt my favorite timeline. I would highly recommend it to any Star Wars enthusiast.

Personally, I find both in story timelines to have their pros and cons. However, with respect to having a timeline using canon as the baseline; I think this would be a fascinating project to complete. It may have various benefits as well. For example, content creators could potentially use it as a reference point; or possibly even authors of canon Star Wars material. And at the very least, it fills in a lot of blanks that are currently in canon. For example, in times past there was massive amounts of character development for the prequel characters through the expanded universe medium. A plethora of gourmet, high quality stories exist that still fit into our current understanding of canon, and add depth to these characters that simply hasn’t been replaced by canon material, and likely won’t be replaced ever, or for a very long time.

"I Need Your Help”

[​IMG]

However, a project such as this is a massive undertaking. Legends material alone is overwhelming with how much has been published. And with respect to canon, it’s been 6 years and we already have hundreds of produced content to work with. And, it’s only getting more difficult as time goes on. I have consumed my fair share of both legends and canon material, but I’ve yet to consume all of it. And even if I did, recalling events that may contradict with legends is a tedious process. I need help. And I humbly ask you for this help. This is a project that I want the community to truly be a part of. Legends and canon fans alike. As Fives once said: “Look around. We’re one and the same. Same heart, same blood.”

"Your Mind, Powerful It Is"
    [​IMG]

This is how we will create our timeline: It will not be done all at once. A project such as this should be treated with much care, and so proceeding through the timeline will be done by going slowly era by era in the order of:

Before the Republic

The Old Republic Era.

Rise of the Empire.

Era of Rebellion.

The New Republic.

The New Jedi Order.

The Legacy Era.

Once an era has been satisfactorily discussed, and a general consensus is reached with respect to that era will we then move on to the subsequent eras for further discussion within another thread. I will post the link to that thread here when we get to that point.

The format of your post should indicate if a certain legend does or does not contradict with current understanding of canon. If it DOES contradict canon, a reason and a reference to canon material must be provided.

Canon Superposition
    [​IMG]

First, let’s consider our baseline. The entire official canon of the Star Wars continuity.
    This is what will be considered authoritative. If a legend contradicts canon, then that legend will be removed, and it will be considered a debunked legend. Keep in mind that the opposite is potentially true. Canon material may prove a legend correct. Henceforth, what is considered canon will be superimposed upon the legends.

Before The Republic
    [​IMG]

Our first set of legends that we need to tackle is easy. Dawn of the Jedi era. It’s small when contrasted to the subsequent eras. It covers only 2 years: 25,793 BBY and 25,792 BBY.

The timeline is as follows:

25,792 BBY[2] C Dawn of the Jedi: Force War by John Ostrander

25,793 BBY[1] SS Eruption by John Ostrander

25,793 BBY[1] SS The Adventures of Lanoree Brock, Je'daii Ranger by Tim Lebbon

25,793 BBY[1] C Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm by John Ostrander

25,793 BBY[2] N Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void by Tim Lebbon

25,793 BBY[3] C Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan by John Ostrander

I myself have only read “Into The Void”. Are there any contradictions with our current understanding of canon? I actually don’t recall anything that could be considered contradictory. The one thing that concerns me is the concept of Tython. We now know that Tython was in fact NOT the birthplace of the Jedi as was once thought, but rather it was Ahch-To. However, as far as I know these stories aren’t considering the Jedi. In fact, it predates them. Rather, it focuses on their predecessors; the Je’daii.

Please keep in mind post format as mentioned under "Your Mind, Powerful It Is" subheading. Thanks for the help, and have fun.

2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm trying to keep within your format requirement.

Some of the novels and comics have chapters that jump into different centuries and millennia from the main plot in the story. Dawn of Jedi: Force Storm #1 actually starts in approximately 36,453 BBY. You also have text and quotations within chapters and issues that refer to things that happened years earlier. Dawn of the Jedi: #0, Guidebook starts off by saying eight Tho Yor gathered force-sensitive representatives in approximately 36,000 BBY and brought them to Tython.

From Page #2 in DOTJ Issue #0, under the Tho Yor heading:
    "Over 36,000 years before the Battle of Yavin and destruction of the first Death Star, eight ancient pyramidal ships called Tho Yor travelled throughout the galaxy gathering those who were strong in the force."

From Page #2 in DOTJ Issue #1, Andobi Prime:
    "For a millennium, high in the snowy andobi mountains of andobi prime, the Dai Bendu attended a massive edifice they called the Tho Yor."
    [​IMG]

Conclusion:
    DOTJ opens with the Dai Bendu monks attending a Tho Yor that has sat as a worship edifice on their world. The copied text here from Issue #1 suggests the Tho Yor sat on their world for a millennium before 36,453 BBY. That brings the Dai Bendu interaction with the Tho Yor back to approximately 46,000 BBY.

Issue #1 of Force Storm then visits other systems where force-sensitive representatives were gathered.

Cover artwork for Dawn of the Jedi comics in one image:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  3. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    @MasterDarkra Have you used my list here as reference? https://boards.theforce.net/threads...can-still-reasonably-fit-into-canon.50043107/ . Below is a post of my most updated list from that thread (it's a bit outdated now, I'd remove some stuff like the Jedi Academy game etc.) of stuff from Legends that can still fit into canon.

4. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    starwarstimeline.net has the Dawn of the Jedi era going back to 36,453 BBY.
    36,453−25,805 BBY

Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm #1 (Dark Horse)

Pages 1−9

[Collected in Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm]

25,805 BBY

Pages 10−11

25,793 BBY

Dawn of the Jedi: Eruption (Star Wars Insider #141)

[Reprinted in Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void]

Pages 12−end

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (Del Rey/Ballantine)

Chapters 1−2

The Adventures of Lanoree Brock, Je'daii Ranger (Kindlepost.com)

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void (Del Rey/Ballantine)

Chapters 3−end

Dawn of the Jedi: Force Storm #2−5 (Dark Horse)

Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan #1−5 (Dark Horse)

[Collected in Dawn of the Jedi: The Prisoner of Bogan]

25,792 BBY

Dawn of the Jedi: Force War #1−5

[Collected in Dawn of the Jedi: Force War]

The main thing about the gathering of the force sensitives...the Tho Yor didn't just show up on their planet and pick them up for a galactic ride to Tython. The Tho Yor arrived on Andobi Prime and became embedded in the landscape over a millennium according to Issue #1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MasterDarkra

MasterDarkra Jedi Master

Apr 26, 2006
    Forgive me. I may be missing something. The information is quite interesting. But, what does this have to do with any contradictions with any established canon material?

Ahh, now this is quite interesting! I didn't realize you had already worked on such a resource. It looks like you put in a fair amount of time and effort into it. Wonderful! Your help then will be marvelous! And, at the very least, I think this project will refine your timeline to make it even better than ever. Exactly how updated is it?

Glancing over your timeline, I can't help but notice that it seems to be lacking a lot of the comics. Things such as Doctor Aphra, the Marvel Darth Vader comics, etc. I was hoping for something all inclusive. In addition, I did notice some questionable things. For example, The Old Republic PC game; it references Tython as the birthplace of the Jedi if I remember the Knight storyline correctly, which contradicts our current understanding of canon. Of course, I could be wrong! But alas, I am getting ahead of myself. From your assessment, it seems like the Dawn of the Jedi era fits quite nicely into canon, which echos my assessment as well.

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    You're right that the Old Republic no longer belongs on there. My last update was in 2017 on page 5, so it's out of date by some years. I think it still reflects my thinking right after TFA came out, when Ahch-To wasn't named in any canon source, so I left leeway it could be Tython. Now that Ahch-To has been named in canon works, you are right that the Old Republic game probably has to be removed from the list. Dawn of the Jedi can stay as it's only about the Je'daii group, not the Jedi themselves.

As to why my list doesn't include actual canon works like the Dr. Aphra comic, I felt it would be redundant as a full list of canon media can be found at: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media and my list can be merged with that.

MasterDarkra likes this.
  7. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    I'm not aware of any canon under the Disney-ownership that contradicts the events in DOTJ. That may change someday as peripheral events are expanded. Your format requirement might be too stringent or get outdated too quickly.

I realize you want to set up a timeline using the new canon as a baseline rather than EU canon as the baseline. The problem is that a single novel or single comic book issue may refer to linked historical events occurring over centuries of galactic history. The new canon can contradict one historical event in the link but preserve others. It is the historical event or character biography that gets contradicted but not the novel or the comic book issue.

EDIT: Birthplace of Jedi: That is going to be really vague and nebulous for a long time. There is room to say one system was the birthplace and then change it later.

- - - -

Mostly, I was pointing out that you started the Dawn of the Jedi series at 25,792. Issue #1 of Force Storm starts at 36,453 BBY. The first pages of Issue #1 Force Storm show events in 36,453 BBY. I also mentioned starwarstimeline.net to show you that timeline takes account of Issue #1 by starting at 36,452 BBY. The panels depict narration told by Je'daii Master Ketu to Harun and Resi.

The wookiepedia page entry for Issue #1 of Force Storm has it starting at 25,793. Your timeline for Dawn of the Jedi starts at 25,793 but then you have Force War listed instead of Force Storm.

Another thing I'm noticing is that you put Force War first on the vertical list. You know that the order goes Force Storm, Prisoner of Bogan, and then Force War.

We also have quotations from olden Je'Daii masters in Into the Void at the start of chapters. If I remember right, most of these quotes are from utterances of masters on Tython from the period of 36,000 BBY to 26,000 BBY.

8. MasterDarkra

MasterDarkra Jedi Master

Apr 26, 2006
    Right, I see where you are coming from. Well, I'm not going to get overly complex with it. If anything in a novel, single issues of a comic book, even an entire video game, are contradictory in anyway to established canon, then it will be cut from the list; even if parts of it could be considered canon. One could get extremely detailed and say only x pages agree with canon. Or this quest is non canon. But, that level of detail is simply not in this project.

Ahh, I see. Yeah honestly, my timeframes were taken from the Star Wars wiki. As for the order, they seemed to have gotten mixed up in the transition. I'll change it in the subsequent era as it isn't allowing me to edit it anymore. Thanks!:)

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  9. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    As someone who read the entire Dawn of the Jedi subfranchise, even the novel, there's nothing in it that contradicts Disney Canon. That's because literally the entire subfranchise is about the Je'daii. Even if the pronunciation is the same (as Duursema and Ostrander said) they are clearly a different group. Strange for a group of works titled "Dawn of the Jedi." I think the project got canceled before it was able to really go into actually forming the Jedi Order. As such, Tython is only shown as a homeworld for Je'daii.

For all we know the Prime Jedi was a former Je'daii who went to Ahch-To to form the Jedi Order.

It's only in the "Old Republic" game that Tython is conclusively identified as the homeworld of the Jedi. So that game can't fit into Disney canon.

MasterDarkra and PCCViking like this.
  10. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Dawn of the Jedi was integrated with Old Republic and The Jedi Path. Those are late-EU releases, post-2009. There are wikipedia articles suggesting where the comics and other media were heading. Some of the future direction got moved to Old Republic.

Master Rajaviri seems to have been late but important addition. Master Rajaviri and Master Ketu both got some character development as the series progressed.

There are so many possibilities with that. One possibility doesn't need to contradict other possibilities. If anything, Lucasfilm wants to keep people on the edge of their seats regarding anything including saga continuity.

I disagree. The Jedi Order can have multiple homeworlds. No one is locked into any origin story. There is always more to learn and new things to develop.

@MasterDarkra A timeline from a certain point of view?

11. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Multiple homeworlds doesn't work. Tython has a bunch of relics on-site showing the Jedi was founded there. The Old Republic just can't fit with Ahch-To and Disney Canon.

MasterDarkra likes this.
  12. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
  13. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
  14. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Je'daii were founded on Tython. Ahch-To lot could have been more sages and ascetics that had little initial connection?
    I will certainly be curious to see more where Jedha fits in (maybe as a Jedi presence during the early Republic, closer to the Core routes? But the Negs are quite out of the way...)

MasterDarkra likes this.