main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Creche - Masters and Padawans available for every era! Take a look!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Creche_Master, Dec 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creche_Master

Creche_Master Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 13, 2005
    Newbies and Masters alike,

Welcome to The Creche, where newbies and oldbies alike can come to pair off as "Padawans" and "Masters"!

Master = A Master is a mentor and someone to help you find your way around the boards, as well as a friend and automatic reader (in most cases). Many of the Masters listed in here are very interested in helping to improve a youngling's writing skills and helping them begin their own story threads.

Padawan = 1. A NEWBIE. 2. An experienced writer who would like to expand his/her skills.

The "How to Get Involved" steps may be found in the next post.

Creche_Master is: The Musical Jedi

Assisted by:
    Zonoma

2. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    HOW TO GET INVOLVED

1) All Masters (yes, all you oldbies) and potential Padawans (this means you, newbies!) must fill out the form found in the next post.

2) Look through the various applicants every once in a while -the complete lists are posted faithfully each Monday with page numbers and links, though we try to add everyone as they come. I highly recommend actually taking the time to read provided samples.

3) When you find someone that seems like a new match, then PM them! (Masters and Padawans are allowed to make first contact) Don't be shy!!! The squeaky wheel tends to get the oil.

Make sure your PM states "Adoption Inquiry" in the subject so that it does not get overlooked.

DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE PMed!!!

Listing yourself as Master or Padawan makes you free game for Adoption business PMs from prospective partners.

4) Be patient while waiting for a response.

5) If you do not feel it is a good match, that's OKAY. Decline gracefully and move on. You need to feel comfortable with your partner, this is supposed to be educational and FUN.

6) Finally! When the deed is done, and both of you are happy... come share the good news with us!!

Creche_Master

3. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    IMPORTANT!!

If you would like to be listed as a Master OR as a Padawan, then please fill out the following survey and post it. Be thorough, each question is there because these are things that tend to be important to most people when looking for a new partner.

[b][color=darkblue]
    NAME:

LOOKING FOR: (please indicate Master or Padawan)

ERA:

FAVE CHARACTERS:

STRENGTHS:

WEAKNESS:

I LOVE TO WRITE:

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE:

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: (number of current Padawans for all Masters!)

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING (if onsite sample is available):
    [/color][/b]

4. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    If you are not on this list and would like to be, just post on the last page of this thread, or PM the Creche_Master. We will edit you in. Make sure that you fill out the survey!
    ~*~*~

Padawan List (in chronological order, separated by Era)

Before the Saga:

solobratz - 7/24/07

Saga:

CHEVALIER_RYU - 6/12/07
    nate_the_great - 6/14/07
    Marani - 7/25/07
    JENNA - 8/16/07
    barriss31 - 8/18/07

Beyond the Saga:

mrjop2 - 6/15/07
    Lordabc123 - 7/6/07
    solobratz - 7/24/07
    Marani - 7/25/07
    corran2 - 8/6/07
    barriss31 - 8/18/07

All Eras:

SandDigger - 6/19/07
    Dooku-Darklighter - 6/23/07
    master_jedi_tink - 6/25/07
    Lordabc123 - 7/6/07

[color=darkblue][b][u]Announcements[/b][/u]:

The lists have been updated and organized according to stated Era preference. Remember that some folks may be interested in more than one though and don't be afraid to click on the link to check them out.

If you would like to be added and aren't on the list, drop either the sock or [link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=237342]The Musical Jedi[/link] a PM.[/color]

-[color=darkgreen][b]TMJ[/b][/color]

5. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    If you are not on this list and would like to be, then fill out the survey in the thread for us and/or PM the Creche_Master. If you have already filled it out, you don't have to again, though I highly recommend it.
    ~*~*~

MASTERS LIST (in chronological order according to era)

Before the Saga:

Jturtle - 6/16/07
    Valairy_Scot - 8/5/07

Saga:

Golden_Jedi - 12/11/06
    Rynne - 3/30/07
    Alley_Skywalker - 5/3/07
    Amrita_Glittersong - 5/9/07
    Jturtle - 6/16/07
    Jaya Solo - 6/16/07
    AnakinsFavorite - 8/2/07
    Valairy_Scot - 8/5/07
    G__Anakin - 8/5/07

Beyond the Saga:

Rynne - 3/30/07
    Jaya Solo - 6/16/07
    G__Anakin - 8/5/07
    Kidan - 8/6/07

Any:

lordmaul13 - 7/19/07

[color=darkblue][b][u]MASTER'S ANNOUNCEMENTS[/u][/b]
    Masters,

If you're currently seeking a Padawan and you're not on the list, please drop either me or [link=http://boards.theforce.net/ASP/user.asp?usr=237342]The Musical Jedi[/link] a PM so I can add you.

Thanks you!
    [/color]
    -[color=darkgreen][b]TMJ[/b][/color]

6. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    I WANT TO BE A MASTER, BUT AM I QUALIFIED?

Do you like people?
    The primary purpose of a Master here in Fan Fic is to befriend their padawan. Be a tour guide, encourage him when he is down, always read and reply to his stories, and be willing to offer constructive criticism gently and with regard for his feelings and age.

Do you have a working knowledge of the Terms of Service?
    To be a knowledgable tour guide and help steer your padawan clear of common newbie mistakes, you should have a working knowledge of the Terms of Service and be willing to refer to the Fan Fic FAQ for answers to questions you don?t know the answer to.

Are you ready to act like a responsible role model for an impressionable newbie?
    It?s all part and parcel of having a padawan, guys. Responsible role models are essential. This is a lesson unto itself, though. More on that later.

Do you have the time to encourage a new writer, read their story(s), and reply to them?
    If you just want a padawan to have a cool signature, then move on, please. A padawan whose own master does not take the time to read at least some of their work and show a genuine interest in them can easily become discouraged from pursuing their writing.

Since we are here to encourage writing, make your padawans? stories a priority. This is time consuming at times. I also assure you that it is incredibly rewarding to watch the progress of their writing skills.

Is that really all there is to it?
    There is always, always more. After all, one should never stop learning, right? But the rest can be learned. The most important part is having the desire to help someone.

Where do I sign up?
    If this sounds like something for you, then please feel free to browse the padawan lists and create your own Master?s profile, post it, and we will link it in the first page.

I will start with the ABCs of mentoring tomorrow.

Zonoma

7. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    FINDING THE RIGHT PADAWAN

This subject is debated from time to time around here, so I?ll offer several schools of thought.

First: Same to Same
    This is the most popular method of finding a padawan here in the Creche. Many people scroll through the lists and lurk, waiting for a profile to appear with a familiar and comfortable list of ?favorites?. Usually Masters look for a potential padawan to share a favorite character, relationship, era, or a penchant for writing Original Characters or a certain genre (Romance v/s Action, for example).

Second: Opposites Attract
    Some people go looking for Masters outside of their comfort zone on purpose. Most of these potentials know what exactly their weaknesses are and look for a Master to help strengthen them.

Third: It?s About The Personality!
    Sometimes, it?s just all about the personality. Even if the profile looks great, you just don?t click. It?s okay, it happens. This is why getting to know a potential padawan via a few PMs is a great idea.

Conversely, a padawan with a profile that turns you off may be such a fun personality that you become interested in their interests while they take part in yours. That is what I call a win, win situation.

Fourth: Relationships Found Through Story Threads
    Some of the best Master/Padawan relationships begin as author/reader friendships. Allowing this kind of relationship to build into a mentorship can be very enjoyable for both people involved.

Regardless of the method you choose, some careful thought and frank questions help to avoid uncomfortable Master/Padawan pairings. Once you have narrowed it down a little bit, consider the following:

Know Your Own Expectations and Limitations.
    While you are choosing a padawan, examine your skills frankly and hold them up to the students expectations and goals.

1~ Are you a harsh beta?

2~ Will you be giving assignments that highlight their skills and force them to work out their weaknesses?

3~ Do you just want a padawan to help them out here and there, leaving the betaing to someone else?

4~ Can you help them find one, if spelling and grammar are not your strong suits?

5~ Are you looking for a serious minded writer/padawan?

6~ Are you looking for someone who is more interested in playing with ideas and plots, but not worried about the small stuff?

What Are Your Potential Padawan?s Expectations?
    These are important questions to ask not only yourself but any potential student. You need to know what their expectations are from a Master, too.

Read Your Candidate?s Sample Writing.
    This should be a no brainer, but you?d be surprised. For those potential Padawans and Masters alike, READ the work of the person you are considering learning from and teaching to.

Which Approach Works Best?
    It has been my experience that every method works. Find one that works for you and go for it! The worst that can happen is that you meet someone new, right?

Just remember, the burden of contact is primarily on you as a Master. These younglings tend to be shy, so while you welcome their PMs ? take the initiative and send a PM or two out yourself.

8. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    Chapter: Fan Fic Awards

It?s that time of year, again, folks! Authors and readers alike have picked out their gowns, chosen their dates, and made arrangements for the babysitter to watch the kids.

Understandably, something that means this much to the users here in Fan Fiction has its own set of ?Black Tie Etiquette?.

Let?s break it down into simplistic terms and then talk about what you can expect to find, and the way you can conduct yourself without making any awkward mistakes. Remember, for a newbie, this is your ?debut? into our social world. You behavior says a lot about you and first impressions are important.

Part One: Introductions!

Hey! We are here to have a great time, right? So start off on the right foot, as there is some leeway allowed.

It is tradition to start off the evening with a short spiel describing your attire. Keep it short, keep it simple, and refrain from innuendos or overly suggestive comments.

Several folks also include ?dates? in this first post (usually SW and EU characters), but being the Spinster Aunt that I am, I can never seem to find one in time.:oops:

A vainglorious example:

Of course, if you prefer, a simple ?Hello! Good luck to all the nominees!? works beautifully.

Once you make your initial introduction, sit back and wait patiently (click ?refresh? often). The Awards Threads move very fast and it is easy to miss something. Say your greetings, settle in, and wait for the show to begin. Read the other intros to pass the time, they are often marvelously entertaining.

Remember: Over indulging in greetings and e-relationships can easily distract from the dual purposes of a: having a good time and b: saluting the talented authors being honored.

Part Two: The Presentation of Nominees

It?s the moment you?ve been waiting for! Go ahead, cheer your heart out for your favorite authors! Like everything, though, there is a right way and a wrong way to do this.

Right:
    Wrong:
    While there are no rules against it, I would suggest refraining from posts like this:
    On the subject of cheering on individuals:

While I was researching this, I found lots and lots of varied answers. Since this is a thread on etiquette and not policy making, I will try to offer a balanced view.

I find it embarrassing to be cheered on, and some others who spoke with me did as well. On the other hand, many saw nothing wrong with it. The key to it is that once a winner is announced keep anything other than congratulations for the winner out of the thread.

No matter who you are ?cheering? for, BE SURE TO CONGRATULATE THE WINNER JUST AS FERVENTLY!!!!

If you're not gracious to those who defeat the ones you're rooting for, then you're acting in an unsportsmanlike and rude manner.

There is a fine line there, and if you can?t see it, then I suggest erring on the side of caution. Remember, other users (AKA: Your readers and potential readers) are watching your behavior. Rude posters often find a drop in readership.

Part Three: And the Winner is?

Congratulations! You?ve jus

9. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    Reserved.

10. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
  11. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    And we are officially up for business![face_dancing]

12. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    NAME: Killik_Twilight

LOOKING FOR: Padawan

ERA: Saga and Beyond, though I can do Before if need be

FAVE CHARACTERS: Grand Admiral Thrawn, Talon Karrde, Jagged Fel,

STRENGTHS: Dogfights, angst, battles

WEAKNESS: Romance

I LOVE TO WRITE: Battles, angst

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Smut, slash

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: Um? I'm an aerospace engineering student, I'm 19, and I like math. I also have a sock called Killik_Swarm.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Not too high a Price to Pay

KT

13. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    NAME: BigFatty, Fatty, BF, Sara

ERA: Beyond and Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: Solos and Skywalkers

STRENGTHS: Humor and Mush

WEAKNESS: Action

I LOVE TO WRITE: Snarky banter, romantic mush, songfics, J/J, H/L

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Before, K/J, Z/J

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I also do colorings and make icons, and I have one current padawan... maybe

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: My current story is The Family Album

14. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Name: Kelia

Looking For: Padawan

Era: The Saga mostly but I?ve dabbled in Beyond

Fav Characters: Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, Yoda

Strengths: Humor, drama and I?m great at coming up with story ideas.

Weakness: Fighting scenes, space battles

I love to write: AU. I like putting my own spin on the SW world.

No Way Will I Ever Write: NJO ? I know nothing about it.

Random Facts and Fun information about me: I currently have 2 Padawans. One is about to be knighted (ssshhh ? I haven?t told her yet). I had one disappear on me so I am open to taking on another one. I enjoy reading just about anything, I?m pretty good at proof-reading and I?m on the boards every day so it?s easy to get hold of me.

Link to Sample of Writing: Anakin's Misadventures in Babysitting: http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=21586500&brd=10476&start=21589241
    There are more in my bio

15. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    NAME: oqidaun

LOOKING FOR: Evil Padawan--I'm willing to help writers explore their darker tendencies. That means writers who are comfortable in their craft, but wanting to explore the edgier (is that a word?) side of GFFA.

ERA: SAGA / some Before

FAVE CHARACTERS: I'm all about well written OCs. In terms of canon characters, I like Mas Amedda, Piett, Veers, Ozzel, unfriendly suit-wearing evil Vader, dark night of the soul Anakin, Kit Fisto and Yoda.

STRENGTHS: Dark and stormy nights, worldbuilding, OC characterization, plot development, asinine humor, tough love.

WEAKNESS: I bite. I have a "no holds barred" approach to beta reading--thick skins on Evil Padawans are a must. Additionally, while I do have one of my degrees in English Lit., I am not a grammar/spelling coach. I'll help with things like verb tense issues, but I do not have time to teach Composition and Rhetoric 101.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Horror, Suspense, Dark Drama and some feel-good buddy sitcom humor (that's the only way I can explain Elan and Maz)

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: AU / Mush / Romance

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I'm a professional historian and my primary field is the history of medicine--I'm paid to write about pus and dead children. Furthermore, I play bass guitar, paint and try to get to Europe at least once a year. In addition to SW, my other fandoms are Firefly, the Matrix, LOTR and Aeon Flux. My first job ever was writing "B" Grade Horror Movie reviews for this little alternative newspaper. And, yes, that is a string of shrunken heads in my living room.

Current Evil Padawans: Ceridwen1977 (MIA?), Lady_Cora (MIA?), Jennifer_Lyn (on hiatus), CommanderDWH and Z.
    Baby Padawan (she's just so cute!) Alley_Skywalker

I'm pretty picky about padawans, but always looking for someone special and demented.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Read the first chapter of Burn!Burn!Burn! if that's not your cup of tea, you might inquire elsewhere, because that's just about the best I can do.

And, newbies, we'd love you see you around OC Writers Anonymous

16. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Newbies,

The OCs (Original Characters) Anonymous is an excellent place to jump in and get your feet wet. oqi is the Thread Manager over there and does an awesome job.

17. Stella_Ripple

Stella_Ripple Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 29, 2005
    NAME: Stella Ripple

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA: I'm fairly familiar with Before and the Saga, have peeped in Beyond once or twice, but I'm not really too interested in it, since I don't know much about it

FAVE CHARACTERS: Obi Wan, Qui Gon, Anakin- never written (or considered writing!) L/M or H/L but have read a few that I really enjoyed

STRENGTHS: Procrasinating? :p Mush, descriptions (I think!)

WEAKNESS: Humour, Action, Grammar, Horror, Romance

I LOVE TO WRITE: Obiqui AUs. Something of a bunny chaser, and get attracted to lots of ideas. I'm developing my handle on Obi Qui and will be looking to branch out and tackle my weaknesses when I'm a little more comfortable

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Slash or in the NJO era b/c I know zip about it and never really got into that!

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I was the Padawan of the wonderful Jennifer_Lyn who is currently on hiatus, so what I'm really looking for is someone who maybe doesn't want a full time or a low maintenance padawan but is willing to help out with betaing and general plot stuff-if that makes sense. So if anyone is looking for a shadowan, i think the term is, I'm adoptoble!

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING : A series of snapshots which I'm supposedly working on to get a feel for the characters is Eyes of a Father and an Obi Qui AU that is WIP: The Jedi that Could Have Been

18. ladylaurel18

ladylaurel18 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2005
    *grins*

I have taken Roain_Xantos as my Padawan Learner.

*throws confetti*

19. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    I have a grandiwan!!!!!! Congratulations, you two!

Shall I remove you from the lists?

20. Dahlia_Santary

Dahlia_Santary Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    NAME: Dahlia Santary, Dahlia, Dahl, Mari

ERA: Saga(specially the OT), Beyond the Saga

FAVE CHARACTERS: the Skywalker, Obi-wan, Vader, Yoda, OCs

STRENGTHS: Action, Humor, Romance, making up OCs

WEAKNESS: grammar, spelling, plot-line keeping, Before the Saga

I LOVE TO WRITE: AU, Romance, Action

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Before the Saga, Ani/OC, Obidala

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I have a current Padawan, she's great. I also have a problem keeping my plot bunnies under control. But hey, sometimes they're fun.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: check my signature.

21. Bale

Bale Jedi Master star 4

May 9, 2005
    NAME: Bale

LOOKING FOR: A Padawan who understands how to write a story but is looking for ways to improve their writing. I'm willing and able to help with grammar/spelling, but I have neither the time nor the patience for someone who lacks a basic understanding of these.

ERA: Saga and KOTOR fics

FAVE CHARACTERS: Lesser written about characters, e.g. Tarkin, Boba Fett, Imperial Guard and OC's

STRENGTHS: Plot and characterization

WEAKNESS: Romance and good action scenes.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Darker stories that expand the SW universe by exploring characters and/or situations that don't get much attention from writers and that make you think about them in a new way.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Mush, slash, or extreme AU

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: Currently 0 Padawans. I have a law degree and a B.A. in History. In addition to writing, I also enjoy making story covers. I'm also the father-to-be of a baby sithling expected to arrive in April.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Child of the Suns

22. DCWiz00

DCWiz00 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2004
    NAME: DC

LOOKING FOR: An absolute newbie that needs a guiding hand around the boards and some critique on writing.

ERA: BYTS...in other words Beyond the Saga...you know the other Saga that isn't about the movies. :p

FAVE CHARACTERS: Hmm...villians, pilots, Solos and the Skywalkers

STRENGTHS: Heat vision and superspeed...wait...you meant writing strengths. I hear I'm pretty good at characterizations and humor. I do some action and suspense pretty well I think.

WEAKNESS: Kryptonite and ballroom dancing.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Dark stories, comedies, epic things that I never finish.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: poetry, tried it once and sprained my brain.

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I have a habit of ending posts with cliffies and not posting again for a Looong time. I use :p alot, and I tend to be the voice of insanity...I mean reason...or something like that.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Something long:Sword and Flame
    Something Short: The Flipping Yoda

23. Creche_Master

Dec 13, 2005
    Way to get us up and running, everybody! Your immediate response is incredible and the lists have been appropriately edited.

24. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    NAME: Kahara

LOOKING FOR: Master

ERA: mostly during the Saga or before the NJO, possibly some Jedi Apprentice and Tales of the Jedi era

FAVE CHARACTERS: Luke, Qui-Gon, Anakin (both of them), Jacen, Jaina, Zekk, Tahiri, Corran, Obi-Wan

STRENGTHS: Not really sure yet. My spelling is pretty good but I seem to make some typos. There are a lot of things I enjoy writing, but I can?t objectively say I?m good at them.

WEAKNESS: grammar, confusing sentences, have trouble writing certain characters and action scenes

I LOVE TO WRITE: Jedi, OCs, angst, humor, alternate universes, long stories

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: KOTOR, bounty hunters, Yuuzhan Vong, depressing endings

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: I like to draw very strange imaginary animals. Though I don't care for heights, I also love roller coasters. I am a habitual lurker and tend to disappear for months sometimes. Leopard seals scare me.

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: This is my first attempt at writing a story, and I?m still planning to revise and finish it some day. Embers

25. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    NAME: Lovely-in-Orange, Orange, Camille

LOOKING FOR: A Padawan

ERA: I like everything from KOTOR to early NJO (I'm still reading the last half). But my favorite would be Clone Wars and Inter-trilogy time frames.

FAVE CHARACTERS: Obi-Wan, Artoo, Quinlan, Hobbie, Wes, & Anakin/Vader. I also like Qui-Gon, Dooku, the wraiths/rogues, Threepio, and saga-era Han/Leia.

STRENGTHS: Banter, looking at things through the eyes of less used characters like droids or alien OCs

WEAKNESS: Spending too mich time planning and not enough diving in.

I LOVE TO WRITE: Fics focusing on friendships - especially as they come under the strains of war or other outside conflicts.

NO WAY WILL I EVER WRITE: Everytime I complete this sentence the plot bunnies come after me with an idea that I can't leave alone. [face_worried]

RANDOM FACTS AND FUN INFORMATION ABOUT ME: Number of current Padawans: 1. I mentioned Star Wars in my dissertation. Of course I also mentioned Titanic, but don't hold that against me! :D

LINK TO A SAMPLE OF MY WRITING: Check my signature and profile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.