main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Crown

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 4, 2016.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ITT we discuss the greatest and most expensive Netflix series ever made, about Her Majesty the Queen.

I've only seen the first episode so far, but it's glorious. I expect nothing less from the mind behind The Audience and The Queen.

Oh, and even though it's historical fiction, let's use spoiler tags for the first two weeks. Thanks!

Master_Rebado and Ender Sai like this.
  2. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Tbh, I'm a bit surprised you're watching, Jello. You of all people don't think it's tasteless and disrespectful to Her Royal Highness or something?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Giving Her Majesty The Queen the incorrect style of address is what's tasteless and disrespectful. :p

I'm a little worried about portraying private moments, but it's clearly fictionalized. It's not an unauthorized biography. And as I've said, I greatly enjoyed the two predecessors to this series: particularly THE AUDIENCE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Didn't realize it had just dropped. I am fairly busy this weekend, but maybe I'll try to start it.

Seeing Matt Smith pretend to be posh should be entertaining in itself.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    More expensive than House of Cards and Marco Polo? No wonder Netflix needs 3 billion dollars in debt to finance its originals.

MrZAP and Master_Rebado like this.
  6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Netflix has huge episode budgets for most of its shows. Like unreal budgets. Some of their half hour shows have bigger budgets than hour long network shows.

And doesn't do any product placement deals to offset it. When you see a Coke ad in Stranger Things, that's not paid for by Coke: it's something Netflix actually paid Coke to license.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im surprised youre okay with katy perry playing the queen, jello

matt smith was a good choice because he's at least horse-faced enough to believably play a royal

8. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I as considering starting this just today as I finished Daredevel S2. Want to catch up on some documentaries and movies first.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I like Clair Foy. She does a decent imitation of the queen's accent.

10. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    to each their own. doesnt look german enough to be believable to me

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You seem to think that the whole German thing bothers me. I'm not a 20th century Englishman. I don't care. :p

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

im mostly pointing out that the house of windsor née saxe-coburg and gotha are super weird-looking even for brits. not that i think you care about that either

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, that's just plain wrong.

14. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    It's pretty great - 8 episodes in. One the most interesting portrayals of the Duke of Windsor ever. Great, great writing across the board.

15. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    On the second episode. I like it a lot so far, especially the costumes and scenery, but some of the exposition is hilarious. I know it's for the audience but still:

"That's Attlee, our Prime Minister."

And Elizabeth not knowing what a regnal name was:

"Your father was George, obviously his name was Albert."

I'm glad random secretary told Elizabeth what her father's name was!

16. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
  17. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think much of the point of that exposition was on behalf of international (read: American) audiences who would've been broadly ignorant of the process by way of distance. I'm reasonably sure since Elizabeth II's reign name was the same as her birth name, there might be an impression labouring out there that it was always the case and when Charlie eventually does take the throne he'd be King Charles. Now, he may well be because of his mother's choice but it's not forgone, and that needed to be clear.

It was eerie how much the actor playing the 1st Earl Attlee looked like him.

also Maik. You sound as derivative as Wocky.

Arwen Sith likes this.
  18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    FWIW I think Charteris did posit the regnal name question to her at that time and if Antony Jay is to be believed then yes, a civil servant would ask a question of someone and couch it with a degree of exposition and context that assumes the person being asked the question is a total imbecile.

I've finished it now and it's just flat out a great show.

Considering it's all built on superstition and the only name that started out badly and managed to rehabilitate itself is Mary, maybe it's not the best idea, much as I'd prefer him to be Charles III. Maybe it'd be fitting in the long run...

MrZAP and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  19. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I just added this to my list but then saw they also added The Expanse. I'm going to see that first before this. But, looking forward to it.

20. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Richard is a pretty unlucky name too. Richard I heavily taxed England for the Crusade and then again when he had to pay his ransom to the HRE. Then he died in a minor rebellion. Richard II was deposed due to his tyrannical nature and starved to death, and of course we have Richard III

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    As I understand it, Charles is keen to avoid comparisons with both Charles I and Charles II, and is expected to go for George VII.

So the exposition is probably somewhat necessary given the international audience Netflix has.

Also, I loved seeing Prince Charles from The Queen as the Duke of Windsor aka former King Edward VIII.

MrZAP likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Finished. It was a delight through and through, and I'm very pleased. Bring on season two (which is currently filming).

Ender Sai likes this.
  23. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Finally, a Netflix show that my wife and I can watch together. Took me a while to remember that Mr. Abdicator actor played his character's grand nephew Prince Charles in "The Queen."

Ender Sai likes this.
  24. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    So the actor who plays Martin the private secretary also is the British male Inquisitor in DA:I, GrandAdmiralJello and Ender Sai

Ender Sai likes this.
  25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

Mar 3, 2005
    Richard the Lionheart was still seen as being a ripping dude when the Black Prince named his second son but yeah, on the whole they stink.

Henries and Edwards are a real mixed bag too. As are Georges.

If you ignore Rufus I guess Williams go OK. Ish.