main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Crucible Canon - Merging EU and New Canon as smoothly as possible

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sidv88, Feb 25, 2020.

1. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Kylo's life is blank even within Disney Canon. And there's no sign they are going to fill that in soon. If they do, it's possible we could do timeline compression. After all, 7 years of TCW are supposed to be crammed into 3 in-universe years.

Last Shot is indeed problematic. I think I mentioned I put it after Crucible, but I won't deny it's problematic. However, it helps that Last Shot was already problematic even within pure Disney Canon: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Last_Shot#Continuity

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. Jake Starkiller

Jake Starkiller Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2020
    Looking at the page, yeah, the timeline for that was already full of holes.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  3. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    Yes, seemed to be off an earlier Solo script outline, where Han aged from 18 to 23, in one film, and still won Falcon around 5 BBY (rather than 3 BBY, as in Legends, or 10 BBY in finished film)

4. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Just remembered this when reading https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Throne_of_Balance

In Organa Solo's vision, Allana was beside a large white throne, but no one was standing beside her to help her or comfort her, and none of the Skywalkers or Solos were there either.

Allana Solo was born in 36 ABY. Going by my Crucible Canon timeline, she'd be 29 in 65 ABY when the Sequel Trilogy ends. Luke, Leia and Han are dead, and Jaina and Ben Skywalker may possibly be have been killed in Kylo's Jedi Temple destruction, leaving Allana without Skywalkers or Solos (except for Jaina and Ben Skywalker's kids, who would probably be too young to help Allana anyway). It fits.

Despite the complaints of the Canon Sequel Trilogy killing the big three, it seems the EU was hinting with these Allana Solo visions that they were going to meet an early end even in the EU. (Although to be fair, my Crucible Timeline means that Luke dies at 83, Leia dies at 84, and Han dies at 93, which, except for maybe Luke and Leia, aren't really very much early by Earth standards).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    ColeFardreamer likes this.
  5. ColeFardreamer

ColeFardreamer Force Ghost star 5

Nov 24, 2013
    Given the visions showed Allana, when did her fate at the throne of balance shift to Rey then? For all the similarities, did Jacen Solos actions prevent her at the throne? So the fate moved to Rey? Or did something else shift that fate and alter the future?

The way I see it, the future shifted quite a lot in the last decades. From Lukes Dark Empire vision of adult Solokids as Jedi to Ikrits vision of Anakin and Tahiri as Dyad, to Allana at the throne of balance, and now ultimately to Rey and Ben.

I think we look at several events that shifted the future, the first shift after Dark Empires end is, the return of Palpatine into yet another clone body on Exegol. The Sith cultists tried a lot to make it happen, including the various plots around channelling Waru's power, kidnapping Solokids, the Reborn trying to raise Sith from the dead, ultimately successful with Palpatine instead of Ragnos. His return was the first major shift from the peaceful DE future vision to requiring a Dyad, Anakin and Tahiri. Anakins fear of Dark Empire and an alive Emperor lingering within him or trying to claim him speaks volumes. Maybe around that time his fears started we can pinpoint Palpatines actual return post Sith Cultist experimentation phases.
    But with Anakin Solo's death in SBS, the fate shifted to yet unborn Allana or someone else in between?
    Jacen not wanting a dangerous fate for his daughter that could turn out light or dark, tried to take the decision off her hands and by doing that shifted the fate out of her hands successfully towards Rey & Ben.

Chrissonofpear2 likes this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That was ret-conned to be the end of Edge of Victory Conquest I believe.

ColeFardreamer and sidv88 like this.
  7. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I suspect a lot of these visions were implanted by Palpatine. "I have been every voice you ever heard inside your head" after all. Palpatine used visions of Allana to accelerate Jacen's fall to the dark side.

In fact, by my Crucible Timeline, Jacen may have been Palpatine's attempt at Kylo 1.0. Palpatine laid low and let the NJO deal with the Vong. Once that was done, he was behind the scenes in Jacen's fall. But that plan failed when Jacen died.

When Leia decided to have a 4th son in her 60s (frozen eggs, or the natural senior pregnancy that's rare but possible here on Earth), Palpatine decided to try again in corrupting Kylo.

I'm also suspecting that the holographic Palpatine Brakiss spoke with in the Young Jedi Knights novel was actually him. Palpatine then backed out at the last moment and had his guard retcon his appearances to be a hoax, because Palpatine realized he wasn't ready to deal with the imminent Vong invasion and decided to let Luke handle it.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Palpatine would never sit back during the Vong invasion given they were why he created Death Stars and the like in the first place as per Plagueis novel and other connective tissue between him, Vergere and the NJO.

During the invasion he must have been active, to what degree and goal though is the question.

I think as always he attempted several plans at once:

a) have the Vong take out his enemies for him and be ready to eradicate them nevertheless once they did that
    b) try to get a controling element on the Vong side to control both sides of the war once more via the Vong wanting to contact the Sith and the Force shenangians in their leadership. Onimi and Shimrra were not for nothing too much alike Palpatine and Sith leaders.
    c) reconnect/find Vergere and punish her for leaving him

The Exegol Sith Fleet under construction was ideal to defeat the Vong even at a reduced form if they would have to launch early! Ilum/Starkiller Base and the fleet were rushed to completion. Meanwhile he inserted agents with the Vong or rather tasked the One Sith to do such in his name. Cue Vongerella, Lumiya, Lomi Plo and Welk shenangians tying Sith and Vong together behind the scenes. Cue Onimi being taught and able to control Shimrra and cue the Slayers.

Vergere worked against all that recognising her old Masters handiwork! Given how well Palpatines subversion of the Vong worked, he did not even need the fleet or SKB and hoped to fully take control of the Vong should they win the war. Jacen prevented that luckily not even knowing the true mastermind behind their subversion.

With the Vong pacified and the war over, Palpatine lost that angle and fully set on the One Sith Eternal. But Vergere had gotten to Lumiya and through her Jacen once more thwarted Palpatines plans by becoming his Vitiate's Revan. In Light (NJO) and in Darkness (LOTF) would Jace oppose him and keep him from achieving his goals, namely getting Allana to the throne on Exegol. (my Pet theory that Allana too, like Rey, is descended from Palpatine via Isolders dad being Palpatine who dated Ta'a chume still stands!).

Postponing his plans once more, and too weak to continue, Palpatine would wait. Until Rey and Kylo managed to end it all!

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Really loving how all of this is coming together.

ColeFardreamer and sidv88 like this.
  10. Darth-Krayt

Darth-Krayt Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 25, 2018

It would make more sense if sidious made eu stories happen to cover up the first order and final order:

all the efforts to recreate the empire so the idea of one existing in secrete is absurd

a debunked fake appearance of sidious so he's actual survival is absurd

jacen falling to the dark side so ben falling to the dark side would be absurd

with all those events already happening before, the galaxy wouldn't expect the sequel trilogy events

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I would prefer to make a revamped LOTF/ST mash up instead of putting the ST after FOTJ.
    Palpatine's final defeat here is what allows Abeloth to be freed. Whether intentional or unintentional is up for debate at the moment. .
    If he couldn't have his 10,000 year Empire (Why 10,000? The Galactic Republic lasted 25,000 years?) then Abeloth would destroy the Galaxy.
    Or he does some Force ritual that has some unexpected results that frees Abeloth after his death.

12. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Placing FOTJ after the ST means trying to explain how Han, Leia, and Luke all come back to life. As it is here with Crucible Canon, Del Rey's April Fool's Day short article "An Apology" just barely explains Chewie's likely resurrection: http://web.archive.org/web/20120817...s-and-exclusive-epilogue-by-timothy-zahn.html

It sounds like you like a timeline more in line with One Canon by @Sinrebirth so you might discuss how that works over there.

13. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    What retcons are you talking about other than age issues? Chewie's resurrection is a thing no matter where you place the ST. Same with Ackbar.

The earliest you can place TFA is at 45 ABY period. Otherwise you have to explain how Han comes back to life for Crucible. I don't see what difference another 19 years makes to be honest. If you do place TFA at 45 ABY, you have to explain where Ben Solo was from Vector Prime to Crucible. Maybe you and @Sinrebirth can just pretend he was off page the entire time so to speak but some of us can't.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Whatever you do...

A. Ackbar is offscreen and alive after TUF.
    B. Mon Mothma is offscreen and alive after 25 ABY.
    C. Chewbacca is offscreen and alive after Vector Prime.

Ben at least can be present but not mentioned in conclave scenes in TUF and Swarm War, for example, though the Order from NJO can be large enough that Ben need not be present for every action. It’s no different than us now assuming Seff, Jysella, Natua, Valin, Barv, and so forth are now in every scene of NJO with the ‘Jedi children’ present in a group and that may or may not include Ben.

No need to @ me because others provide a view on where Ben Solo could be that doesn’t involve cutting at Canon in favour of Legends.

We all read the Thrawn Trilogy and notice the retcons nowadays. If some people would prefer to do that less than more, that’s their view. If a process involves more retcons, it will involve more questions.

Golbolco likes this.
  15. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Considering the main story is now called the "Skywalker Saga" by the producers, Ackbar and Mothma's status isn't really as pressing as an actual member of the Skywalker family, Ben Solo. Chewie can also be considered an honorary member of the Skywalker family, as with Rey.

Thus it feels easier for me to have wonkiness with Ackbar/Mothma than with Ben Solo.

16. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Kemp Clones everywhere! Did the originals die or did the copies get accepted back as as original as it can get? The Kemp books continuation would be the only way to believably do resurrections. Not everyone can be trapped somewhere and sit out wars.

Well, curious side-idea of no relevance: In the end it turns out like History, the Skysolos never existed and were just inserted into actual recorded history to weave a heroic tale into actual galactic history rewritten from a later generations pov 1000ABY. Their realism stems from a merger of lots of lesser characters deeds out of various eras into a select frew heroes which were tied together by fictional family relations. It's the stuff of legends and mysth and how entire pantheons are created from the average joes deeds retold to new heigths of storytelling and epic. They are the King Arthur, the Odysseus and the greek and roman pantheons tales of supernatural tragic families used to tell actual history through this fictional families lens of myth and magic.

Could one actually construe such a "historians" pov that totally negelcts the Skysolos and attributes their deeds to the support characters split up between them?

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  17. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Mon Mothma may just have been a victim of the Nelson Mandela effect (a mass erroneous collective belief that someone died before they actually did).

Ackbar and Chewie are a LOT harder to figure out. Chewie's return is handled by the "An Apology" April Fool's joke by Zahn with "Clone Wars 2". It's the only licensed piece that explains it, despite being April Fool's. Barely works but it's all there is.

Should Ackbar's return be thrown in with the madness of April Fool's Clone Wars 2? Just text searched Kindle Bloodline. The name Gial isn't in there. "Ackbar" is mentioned as a figure from Leia's past (very vague). I'm beginning to think ST Ackbar is Gial Ackbar Jr.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  18. Chrissonofpear2

Mar 25, 2020
    He faked his death, was sufficient for me. (oh, and two meetings with Rey and Poe I joked was Leia messing with their heads to conceal sensitive info)

19. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I'm just wondering why Ackbar would fake his death at the height of the Vong war though.

Another thing that occurred to me was that the New Republic could have made great strides in medical technology (and the First Order would have copied), allowing Poe and Hux to look a lot younger than they actually are. I still think Sephi heritage works as an explanation though.

20. Chrissonofpear2

Mar 25, 2020
    Well, war was nearly over, and if we put Bloodlines pre NJO, I guess he could revive the Insiders vs the First Order? All a bit open ended, that.

21. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Two meetings of Rey and Poe answers the question of if she ever used a Mindtrick on them :p the movie answers this kinda itself now, doesn't it?

As for looking a lot younger... it does not need medtech, just good health and sports routine plus some hair dye.

As for medtech, no advances needed, just a dose of TCW nanobots that reconfigured Kenobi into a bounty hunter and you can look any age!

sidv88 likes this.
  22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Poe and Hux seem exactly the kind of people who would reconfigure their looks to look younger. [face_laugh]

23. Chrissonofpear2

Mar 25, 2020
    And for Last Shot, yes, this way it has to be even longer ago, so I guess one can just xerox new numbers onto it for dates?
    Previously I had thought we could use it to retcon the dates of the Solo film, so that it mainly occurs 5 BBY, also...

24. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    If you look at Last Shot's wookieepedia article, the dates in it were already wrong even for Disney Canon. So changing them won't make much difference.

25. ColeFardreamer

Nov 24, 2013
    Is Crucible Canon still a go and gets updates somewhere?