main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Dare Challenge - And the winner is....

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by VaderLVR64, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben_Watson

Ben_Watson Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2004
    I sent mine in as well...

2. BaronCoop

BaronCoop Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2006
    Well, I didn't get the memo about this the past few years, but that's probably because I keep coming in, lurking, and then I have things... to do. Hey, that cat's not going to clean itself... well I'll be darned! Looks like I no longer have an excuse, and no thread with this many devil faces could be bad, right? Count me in, and now to spend the next few minutes thinking up a good dare (never tried it before so you KNOW it'll be easy.)

EDIT

OK, I sent in my dare. Since this is my first I hope I wasn't too hard on whoever gets it. Now watch, I'll get a challenge to write and realize I gave someone a piece of cake.

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    OK, I sent in my dare. Since this is my first I hope I wasn't too hard on whoever gets it. Now watch, I'll get a challenge to write and realize I gave someone a piece of cake.

HAha, that's highly possible. :p

4. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Actually, I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but since this is much more random, perhaps it ought to be renamed? It's rather misleading. The previous Dare Challenges have only been random in assigning partners to each other. I was challenged to write significantly out of my comfort zone during the last two dare challenges, because my partners were able to tailor the challenge to me. By having us turn our names in at the same time and the dare, I don't really see it as near as much of a challenge as the last two. I was really excited to participate until I learned that I had to have my dare ready at the same time I entered.

In any case, those were just a few thoughts I had regarding the challenge. I think I'm going to sit out this round. I wasn't going to say anything, but I thought that this particular concern ought to be addressed in hopes of bringing it back sometime in the future. I really grew a lot during the last Dare Challenges and I would miss them if the old method never returned at all.

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    We're trying to see what what works best. The old way, we could have someone who signed up but if the person assigned to "dare" them didn't come through with a dare, the mods had to come up with one. This way, we know we'll have the "right" number of participants in every saga.

Also, seeing some of the dares, I think these are much more evil. [face_devil] And fun. ;) It can still really stretch a writer out of their comfort zone. Again, I've seen the dares and I really don't think anyone that takes the plunge is going to be disappointed at how "easy" a dare is. You can't know unless you try! :D

EDIT: And I'm confused, though it wouldn't be the first time, but I don't see why we would rename it. Everyone is still sending in dares, and it's called the Dare Challenge. :confused:

6. BaronCoop

Mar 28, 2006
    Wait, this challenge is about stretching your abilities as a writer? And here I thought it was just an excuse to be evil. Oh well. For some reason, ever since I sent in my PM I've been hearing "Something wicked this way comes." over and over, and my eyes dart fearfully towards the Private Messages button. Tacos must not agree with me.

7. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    How many times have I told you to stop calling me tacos!

8. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Actually, this challenge is really just all about FUN! [face_dancing] We want a good time to be had by all! :p

It's meant to be fun, and if you stretch your skills as a writer in the process, then that's an added bonus. :D

9. BaronCoop

Mar 28, 2006

How many times have I told you to stop calling me tacos!

Sorry Tacos. I mean, sorry Jade_Pilot. Would you prefer I promote you to Chalupa?

10. hyperspace_police

hyperspace_police Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2005
    I sent one in for the first time ever... Didn't even know this one was around.

Waiting to see if I am even on the right track about the dare part...

But, we shall see.... I'm looking forward to getting something in my inbox with little Devil faces all over it... That's what makes it fun.

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Tee hee hee... I've finally thought of a good dare and sent it! [face_devil] :)
    I'm really excited!! :D

12. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Oh, I've gotten some particularly evil dares lately! [face_devil] [face_skull]

13. Dana-Skywalker

Dana-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2007
    Hm...my dare was strange I guess, but it wasn't THAT evil. [face_thinking]

Oh well, I guess it'll be lucky for whoever gets it. :cool:

14. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    I thought about my Dare, but it was not of the Dark Side.

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Will we know who's dare we get, or will it be anonymous?

16. brodiew

brodiew Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2005
    Usually, it's kept a secret unless the person who gave the Dare reveals themselves after you post.

17. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    IIRC usually the darers are revealed with the results. I believe you're free to fess up, though - though it's much more fun to reply to your dare as if you were just another reader and leave the daree guessing :p

18. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    We'll reveal the identities of the culprits...I mean those who issued the dares, when we release the results. :D

And remember, only TWO days to get your dares in! Next week we'll start sending them out and announce dates for posting, judging, and revealing results!

19. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005

"Chalupa...chalupa..." *thumbs through Webster's collegiate dictionary*

cha·lu·pa- Pronunciation Key - [chuh-loo-puh; Sp. chah-loo-pah]

?noun, plural -pas. Mexican Cookery. A fried tortilla spread with bean paste or ground cooked meat and topped with shredded cheese, lettuce, chopped tomato, and often hot sauce.

That'll work!

20. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Chalupas sound quite delicious.

21. Dana-Skywalker

Dana-Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 3, 2007
  22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    This is the last day to send in your DARES!

23. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Ah, I can hardly wait to see what dare I get... and who gets my dare!

24. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm hoping to send out dares tomorrow and we'll announce a timeframe for posting your responses! :D

25. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I hope for a daring dare this year. It would be a nice change. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.