main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

the Dark Crystal- a question...

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Gennosuke, Aug 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gennosuke

Gennosuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 22, 2007
    If you haven't seen this movie try to look for it otherwise this post won't make much sense- but...

If the witch (I'd write her neame but I'm not sure how to spell it) has had the piece of the crystal in her possession the whole time, why didn't she or someone else try to make the crystal whole before? Why leave it until the suns are about to align and it's almost too late?

2. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I don't remember much about this movie, because I was half going to sleep through it. I watched it because a lot of people go on and on about it, and I just don't get it. Maybe it's one of those things you can't understand unless you got attached to it in childhood; I'm not sure. But it was more than just boring -- it was downright painful. The only movie I can remember being more trying to sit through was that Britney Spears movie, Crossroads. (Don't ask me why I saw that.) If anyone can offer an eloquent explanation of the appeal of The Dark Crystal, I'd be rather interested.

-Paul

3. darth_Boba

darth_Boba Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Why did you see Crossroads, paul?

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Reasons the Dark Crystal Appeals to people
    One: Muppets!
    Two: Fantasy quest movie that doesn't seem like a 70s stereotype hollywood smegfest.
    Three: Henson studios was always pushing the boundries of puppetry and sophistication. They are the reason Yoda was so darn cool!
    Four: the world was vivid and exciting to look at. Again, technical and design aspects are incredible for the time. That astrolabe in the witch's house worked! They didn't need some crappy CGI model.
    Five: the art. There's a book full of the artistic details and imagination that went into making the movie. It is quite beautiful.

As for the story, there was a profesy that the crystal would be mended by Gelfling Hand, or none at all. Thus the evil Sketzigs (or whatever) tried to wipe out the Gelflings, but managed to miss 2 of them. I also suspect that the crystal was fractured as a similar junction, and to be repaired, the alignment needed to be the same.

Try to remember, too, the era the movie was made in. If you tried to show the original Star Trek now next to modern TV shows as the latest & greatest, you'd be laughed off the air.
    While some old movies are painful to watch now, they do have the foundation of current movies in them. Others were crap then and crap now.

Oh, if you want a painful movie to watch, rent Reds. Nominated for 13 accademy awards, it is one of the most boring, tedious, and most painful movies to sit through. Forget Ed Wood--this is by far the worst movie I have ever seen. It makes Unforgiven, Glen Garry/Glenross, and Leaving Los Vegas seem like a trip to the dentist (unpleasant, but tollerable).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.