main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Darkest of Shadows (V/P AU vignette, 2010 Dare Challenge Co-Winner)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ViariSkywalker , Mar 15, 2010.

1. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Title: The Darkest of Shadows
    Author: ViariSkywalker
    Timeframe: approx. 18 BBY
    Characters: Padmé Amidala, Darth Vader
    Genre: AU, angst, vignette
    Summary: The former senator from Naboo awaits her mysterious benefactor, the one who has been keeping her alive since the fall of the Republic.

Notes: This is my response to the 2010 Dare Challenge. The response could be no more than 2,500 words. My Dare was: to combine a Broadway musical and Star Wars in a crossover. (Songs not necessary) The musical I have chosen is The Phantom of the Opera, although I'd say I've linked the two worlds thematically rather than literally. Either way, I enjoyed writing this.

Disclaimer: You guys know the drill. I don't own Star Wars, and no one is paying me or will ever pay me to write this stuff. I do it out of love. [face_peace]

Best Vignette - 2010 Saga Fanfic Awards
    Co-Winner of the 2010 Dare Challenge

Thanks for the votes!

Enjoy! :D

The Darkest of Shadows

She stands at the far end of the veranda, dark hair loose on her bare shoulders, the train of her cream-colored gown splayed across the stone. Sundown is only moments away, and she waits for her benefactor to arrive.

This is the first time she will see him. He promised it would be tonight, although he has said that before and not kept his word. He doesn’t do it on purpose; she has the feeling that he is a little afraid of her. Even in her head, the thought sounds ridiculous, but she can feel the truth of it.

“You think it really is him?” Those words, part of a whispered conversation with her sister, return to her. And why not? Was there anyone else in the galaxy who could truly protect her from the Emperor? Was there another of his minions who could allow her to remain so conspicuously on her beloved homeworld? It is possible she is wrong, but she doubts it. She is not often wrong.

“But why him? Why should he risk himself for you?”

She shakes her head, remembering the hint of revulsion in her sister’s eyes when she simply shrugged and asked what was so wrong with her appearance that the Dark Lord of the Sith wouldn’t want to protect her.

Instead of chastising her younger sister for her high opinion of herself, Sola grew quite pale and looked over her shoulder to see if anyone was around.

“He’s a monster, Padmé. He’s murdered children.”

And that is the one thing that makes her wish it weren’t him. Strange, that it should be this sin and this sin alone that rests heavily on her heart. Why shouldn’t she reject him over his countless other atrocities?

“Don’t try to save him, Padmé. If it really is him, that is. Don’t entertain that notion for even a second.”

It’s a wise warning; Sola knows her too well. She has always been optimistic, always tried to see the good in others, even when they couldn’t see it themselves. As she waits for her benefactor, she feels the urge, the desire to sway him to her side.

There is a rustle of cloth behind her, then the soft echo of boots treading lightly across the stone. She doesn’t turn around; instead, she focuses even more intently on the final sliver of red-orange sun still lingering above the horizon. For several long moments, they stand in a silence filled only by the sound of his raspy breathing.

“You came,” she says at last. The sun is gone, leaving a faint glow in the darkening sky.

“I promised you I would,” he answers, his voice low and gravelly. The damage done to his vocal chords is even more pronounced in person. She had always thought it was an effect of the holotransceiver, making him sound thus, but apparently the rumors are true. She wonders what other injuries he harbors.

Padmé glances over her shoulder. He is standing a few meters away, in the darkest shadows of the veranda. Several candles have been lit inside, but their light fails to reach him. It is only his silhouette she sees.

“Will you finally explain to me why you’ve done all this?” She turns fully toward him and gestures at the grand estate behind them.

“Does it not please you?” He is trying to keep his tone level, but she can sense the earnestness in his voice. “This used to be your home.”

“I am no longer a senator. It is not my right.”

“It is whatever I say it is. And I say it is yours.” She shivers at the edge of malice in his tone. She knows it isn’t aimed at her; it’s aimed at anyone who might think to challenge her good fortune. But that does not stop her from being frightened by it. He is the only reason she is still alive. He never lets her forget that fact.

Despite her fear, she takes a step toward him. Proving her theory about his own fear, he takes a step away from her. “I thought I would be allowed to see your face,” she says, frowning.

There is a long pause, and Padmé feels an acute sensation of turmoil, so strong she is amazed it doesn’t knock her over. She didn’t know the Sith could project his emotions like that. She had never experienced anything like it in the company of Jedi. For a fleeting moment, she feels sorry for him.

As if sensing her thoughts, her benefactor moves swiftly in her direction. “Do not mistake my hesitancy for weakness, lady. I am not to be trifled with.”

He is very close to her, but somehow still obscured by darkness. “It is you who are mistaken, my lord. It is clear to me now that you are a good deal more powerful than I first thought.” She paused, stepping forward slowly, tilting her head so that she might catch even a glimpse… “Are you not the Lord Darth Vader, second only to the Emperor?”

The air seems to have taken on a sudden chill. “I am,” he murmurs. He sounds much younger than before. She wonders for the first time at his age.

“Why me?” she asks. “Where is the value in protecting one of your master’s enemies?” She has been moving closer to him, and now she can make out the pale outline of a chin beneath his voluminous black hood.

“You question my mercy when you should be thanking me.”

A thought occurs to her that sends a horrified tremor through her body. “Is that why you’re here? To receive my… my thanks?” Can it really be as base as that? Rumor has it he was once a man, but still…

The denial she hopes to hear does not come, and her stomach twists in response to his silence. That he would even think… she, a former queen and senator… it was preposterous, outrageous, unthinkable. She will not do it, cannot even begin to imagine it.

He steps within arm’s reach. She can see his eyes now, flame-colored circles that blaze from a well of shadow. She saw eyes like that once, a long time ago…

No,” she whispers, and starts to back away. He reaches out and takes her by the shoulders. His dark gloves are smooth against her bare skin – damn this dress! – and he pulls her closer.

“You refuse me? I haven’t even asked for anything yet.” There is amusement in his voice, and it occurs to Padmé that she may have underestimated this Dark Lord. “I think it strange that you should deny me anything when I have given you so much.”

“You won’t do it,” she says, as if telling him so will convince him not to take what he wants from her. As if she still has the power to command.

“No?” He removes his left hand and raises it toward his hood. She sees two rows of white teeth flash for a moment as he bites one fingertip of his glove and pulls it off. He tosses the glove aside, revealing a pale hand with long, sturdy fingers. That part of him, at least, looks human. She tries not to flinch as he brings the hand close to her face.

“What good is it if I’m not willing?” she asks quietly, forcing herself to look directly into his eyes. As she does so, she finally gets a good look at the left side of his face. It, too, appears completely human. And so young.

He hesitates, his hand centimeters from her cheek. She can see from his expression that he hadn’t really expected her to deny him, that he is surprised by this turn of events. There are several emotions evident in the visible half of his face: uncertainty and embarrassment and anger, mostly. He snatches both hands away and turns roughly on his heel. Before she can react, he has stormed off into the darkness.

Padmé lets out the breath she has been holding and leans against the rail for support. It’s only now that she realizes her body is trembling. Adrenaline, she tells herself. A natural reaction to being in an intense and frightening situation. Certainly not weakness.

She rubs her arms to ward of the cold night air and takes one last look around before leaving the veranda. Instead of taking her usual warm drink and sitting in front of the fire, Padmé retires almost immediately to her bedroom.

She rarely sleeps peacefully these days, what with the precariousness of her situation always looming over her, but tonight she cannot even get herself to lie down. She sits upright in bed, her sheets pooled around her, the only light in her room coming from the full moon. Somehow she knows he will come back. She is also aware that she has made things even easier for him, sitting in bed in her nightgown. Maybe it’s that optimistic part of her that convinces her he won’t try anything.

That’s right, Padmé, trust the murderer of children not to take you right here in your own bed. The cynical voice in her head sounds oddly like Sola. She pushes it aside and tries to think of something else while she waits. She lets her mind wander back to another time, a time when she fought to free her world, a time when she was in control of her own fate. She thinks she might give almost anything to have that feeling back.

The doors to her private balcony swing open on their old-fashioned hinges. A cool breeze whispers across her skin. She is absolutely motionless as he jumps down from the rail and steps into her bedroom, his black cloak floating away from him like outstretched wings. He walks around the side of her bed and stands there silently; she knows he is staring right into her eyes, even though she cannot see his. He has returned to being a silhouette, faceless but no less terrifying.

He sits on the edge of her bed, his left hand – still ungloved – resting within reach of hers.

“Don’t try to save him, Padmé.”

She knows she can’t. Darth Vader’s sins are too many and too great.

He raises both hands and for the first time lowers his hood. He is sitting so that only the left side of his face is visible to her, the side she has already seen. But now she also sees dark hair that stops just above his shoulders; it is wavy, and it curls slightly around his ear and at his neck and temple. She was correct in her assessment of his age. He can’t be any older than her and is most likely several years younger.

How does someone so young become so evil?

As she continues to take in his features – they are handsome, though wasted on him – she feels an odd buzz in the back of her mind. It’s recognition of a sort. She has seen him, or someone like him, before. Possibly even before the rise of the Empire.

Vader nods in the direction of Padmé’s nightstand. “Do you wear that often?” he asks quietly.

Padmé looks at the nightstand and sees a necklace laying there, a carved wooden pendant on a long silver chain. Her throat tightens. What she wouldn’t give to be back on that starship with her Jedi guardians and that little boy…

“I used to,” she answers, and wonders how it came to be resting on the nightstand.

He raises his gloved right hand, and Padmé watches in silent awe as the necklace floats through the air into Vader’s grasp. He bends his head to examine it, running the fingers of his left hand over the engravings. After a moment he offers it to her. “It will bring you good fortune,” he says softly.

Padmé stares at the japor snippet in his hand for several long seconds before raising her eyes to meet his. The flame-edged irises have faded away, leaving behind a clear blue. And then, despite everything she knows about him, despite everything he has done to the galaxy, she feels her heart ache for what he once was.

Anakin?

He recoils for a moment, as if stung. He narrows his eyes and quickly shakes his head. “No,” he says with force.

But Padmé is already reaching for the japor snippet and the hand clutching it, tears filling her eyes. “Ani,” she whispers. She feels him jolt as her hand touches his. “What happened to you? I thought you went back to your mother on Tatooine?”

He starts to pull his hand away from her, but she grabs onto it with her other hand. She is no longer afraid of what he might do to her; this is Anakin, her Anakin, whose heart was always as big and as bright as the twin suns of his homeworld.

“He came for me,” is all the answer he gives. He tries to look away from her, but Padmé grabs him by the chin and turns his head so that she can look him full in the face. She withholds a surprised yelp.

Most of the right side of his face is covered in burns that have left his skin waxy and wet-looking. His eyebrow is gone, and there is a deep scar running from the top of his scalp to his cheek bone. Most of his hair on that side is singed off; what little remains is wispy and so unlike his natural hair that it is hard to believe they occupy the same head.

“Oh, Anakin,” she murmurs through the tears, resting the palm of her hand on his scarred face. He closes both eyes and leans into her touch. “I’m so sorry,” she says, raising the other hand to stroke his hair.

“Now do you understand why I’ve protected you?” he asks, his voice choked.

She nods fervently and doesn’t even protest when he pulls her into his arms.

~~

Padmé holds onto Anakin through the night, letting him weep until he is dry. Just before dawn, he wakes from where he fell asleep, with his head in her lap.

“Padmé,” he whispers. It’s the first time he’s actually said her name. “Come with me.”

She has always loved Anakin dearly, but that is one thing she cannot do. She cannot become Darth Vader’s mistress, nor even his companion. She cannot forget what he has done.

“No, Ani.” She is as gentle as she knows how to be. “I must stay here.”

He doesn’t ask why. He doesn’t try to argue. He merely nods and pulls the hood of his cloak over his head, his disfigurement once again hidden.

“I love you, Padmé. I always have.”

And then he is gone.

She clutches the japor necklace tight in her fist.

In another world, another lifetime, perhaps, she might have followed him anywhere. But not here.

Fin

Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  2. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I'm glad you posted this, even though it was late. Wonderful job! Poor Padme. :_| A prisoner living in luxury, and unable to love the monster Ani has become! :_|

3. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    *snags ever so stealthily* [face_whistling]

Edit: My God, you did stay up late. :p But it's so worth it. I love it! :D I love it, I love it, I love it. You really do have a knack for storytelling. Every word hooks you and grabs you in. It's envious.

Never would I have thought about the possibility of them not having seen each other since TPM. That means it's been years since she's seen or heard anything about him. The AU setting you set up really is fascinating, because him leaving the Jedi after all presents an minimum two distinct outcomes. It's interesting to think about how his life would shape up returning to Tatooine even if he'd just stayed there and that would be the end of it, because that's vastly different than any possible outcome his life would have staying with the Jedi. But you take it and turn all of that on its head because Palpatine (I'm assuming :p ) finds him anyway. That's especially heartbreaking. :(

And then there's Padme, who's been given this "gift" and has no idea why or from who. I think it's perfectly believable that she would still want to give him some solace after learning his identity. Not only is it in keeping with her general compassionate nature, but in this reality Anakin really has always been that little boy she met on Tatooine. He hasn't meant anything else to her because he hasn't been anything else to her. She hasn't seen him in over ten years. That's not to say that Anakin didn't remain special to her, clearly he did, but he's not her husband. They don't have that relationship between them. It's markedly different and she's smart enough and strong enough here to keep him and his atrocities at arm's length.

You do wicked so well. [face_devil] Tis a gift. [:D]

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Wonderful post to a difficult dare:_| Poor Padme and Anakin

5. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002
    How sad...but there was also an element of creepiness in this that sent shivers down my spine as I read it. I guess that's the "Phantom" bit, since I obviously knew it was Vader. Poor Padme's confusion and shock! I loved the touch of him using the Force to pull the jappor snippet towards him. It reminded me of that scene in AotC when they're eating dinner and he sends the fruit over to Padme's fork using the Force. Wonderful job!

One question I had is of the AU-ness of it. Did Padme never marry Anakin in this AU? How else would she not have known that Shmi was dead?

6. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Magnificent Challenge responce!=D=@};-

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    How bittersweet

In another world, another lifetime, perhaps, she might have followed him anywhere. But not here.

That just broke my heart.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

8. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    =D= Great response!

9. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    A beautiful and haunting AU that showcases Anakin's depth of feeling towards Padmé - and just about all of her better qualities; the ones that made her a fabulous Queen and Senator. Gorgeous by play; I really enjoyed reading this.

Well done!

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Wow, that was chilling, bittersweet, and beautiful. I love how you imbued the spirit of The Phantom of the Opera in this AU. Wonderfully done =D=

11. brokenlullaby

brokenlullaby Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 20, 2010
    Brilliant job! The writing was beautiful, and I loved your use of present tense. The last line was heart-wrenching. Very well-written!

Kudos to you, darling! =D=

12. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Replies!

PonyTricks ? I'm glad you posted this, even though it was late. Wonderful job! Poor Padme. A prisoner living in luxury, and unable to love the monster Ani has become!

--Thank you! :) It was strange how at the last minute, this story just kind of came upon me, and I had to write it even though I couldn?t finish it before midnight. I?m very glad I did! :D

Bri ? My God, you did stay up late. But it's so worth it. I love it! I love it, I love it, I love it. You really do have a knack for storytelling. Every word hooks you and grabs you in. It's envious.

--[face_blush] Yeah, I totally did not mean to be up so late. I actually had to leave to go exercise with Luke before he went to work, so I had to wait to finish it until I got back from the YMCA. :p Silly me. And of course, thank you as always for the words of praise. You know what a feedback junkie I am. ;)

Never would I have thought about the possibility of them not having seen each other since TPM. That means it's been years since she's seen or heard anything about him. The AU setting you set up really is fascinating, because him leaving the Jedi after all presents an minimum two distinct outcomes. It's interesting to think about how his life would shape up returning to Tatooine even if he'd just stayed there and that would be the end of it, because that's vastly different than any possible outcome his life would have staying with the Jedi. But you take it and turn all of that on its head because Palpatine (I'm assuming ) finds him anyway. That's especially heartbreaking.

--To be honest, I did not know where I was going with this. I literally had two sentences written (the first two :p) up until the night the challenge was due. :oops: It sounds so cliché, but it really did kind of spill out of me. Something clicked around 1 am our time, and this AU world kind of sprung into my head with amazing clarity. It was pretty awesome. :p Oooh, and if you?re ever interested in reading a detailed and unique fic about Anakin returning to live on Tatooine, check out geo3?s Fortune?s Gate. It has Anakin growing up on Tatooine and eventually ? around the time of AotC ? crossing paths with Dooku, who offers to teach Anakin the ways of the Force. I have really enjoyed it so far. (Just in case your apathy decides to flee for a while. ;) :p)

Also, yes, it was Palpatine. [face_devil] They still met at the end of TPM, and Palpatine never forgot that incredibly gifted would-be Jedi? oh hell, now I want to write more in this universe. Damn plot bunnies. *muttermutter*

And then there's Padme, who's been given this "gift" and has no idea why or from who. I think it's perfectly believable that she would still want to give him some solace after learning his identity. Not only is it in keeping with her general compassionate nature, but in this reality Anakin really has always been that little boy she met on Tatooine. He hasn't meant anything else to her because he hasn't been anything else to her. She hasn't seen him in over ten years. That's not to say that Anakin didn't remain special to her, clearly he did, but he's not her husband. They don't have that relationship between them. It's markedly different and she's smart enough and strong enough here to keep him and his atrocities at arm's length.

--This is exactly what I wanted to convey, and I was worried there at the end as I started to come close to the word limit. I?m glad it came out the way I intended. I think that?s really the key, that she has continued to think of him as that little boy, and just knowing the trauma he must have gone through to become the Emperor?s right hand is heartbreaking. It?s easier to feel sorry for him in those circumstances because it?s not as though he?s personally betrayed her. And that?s also why she is able to turn him away at the end, because the bond is not the same. So yeah, everything you said. :p

You do wick

13. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    What an interesting scenario, Vi. [face_thinking] I think you did a really good job of blending the two thematically. Anakin's got a creepy vibe here much like Erik's, and Padmé's behavior parallels Christine's, too. How poignant (and a bit unnerving) that Anakin's still fixated on her after all this time and with everything that's happened?but I'm really glad that Padmé didn't give in, too. I think you got the characterization just right for an AU like this. Very nicely handled, my dear. [:D]

14. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Gabri - What an interesting scenario, Vi. I think you did a really good job of blending the two thematically. Anakin's got a creepy vibe here much like Erik's, and Padmé's behavior parallels Christine's, too.

--Thanks, my dear! [:D] I have to admit, Vader was so creepy at the beginning that I wasn't quite sure how I would shift the tone to show him more sympathetically. I'm glad it worked! :)

How poignant (and a bit unnerving) that Anakin's still fixated on her after all this time and with everything that's happened?but I'm really glad that Padmé didn't give in, too. I think you got the characterization just right for an AU like this. Very nicely handled, my dear.

--Agreed, that is pretty unnerving when you think about it. :p I can hardly imagine reconnecting with someone after more than thirteen years and finding out that they've been in love with you that whole time. Extra weird since he was a kid when they last saw each other. 8-} Add on top of that the fact that said person is now a mass murderer and right hand to the ruler of the galaxy. (Wow, this AU world is so up my angsty little alley. [face_mischief]) I'm relieved to have gotten Padmé's characterization right for this AU; I wanted to show her compassionate nature without compromising her strong sense of morality. It would have been too easy to just have them kiss and start a relationship, but they are not that couple in this story, and I am not writer. [face_not_talking] So yeah, it was a fun challenge, finding that balance. :p

All Readers:

I would like to thank everyone who voted for this story for the Dare Challenge! I ended up in a tie for 1st place with Bri_Windstar and Jade_Max, both of whom wrote excellent responses. :D So thanks again! I had a blast writing this. [:D]

15. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    Looking sharp, chica. ;) [:D] [:D]

16. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    Heh. You're looking pretty sharp as well. ;) [:D]

17. Bri_Windstar

May 27, 2002
    We should start an elite clique.

Oh wait, been there done that. My bad.

We should start another elite clique, then. [face_batting]

18. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    So elite that we're the only two allowed in? Score! [face_mischief]

Gawd, we're so elitist and cliquey. :p

19. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Wonderful AU and beautifully written!!

20. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    ratna - Thank you! Glad you liked it. :D

21. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    Awesome, not sure which I liked more.. Your prequel or this. Both are are great.

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    That was amazing! Beautiful! Very worth the co-winner title!!!

=D=

@};-

[:D]

23. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Just found this after reading "The Boy in the Red Room". You managed to combine Star Wars with The Phantom of the Opera very well - we can feel various touches of Phantom in there, but it doesn't overpower the story. And how appropriate that both Vader and the Phantom wear masks!

The ending was heartbreaking, but appropriate - this is a universe where Padmé has never met Anakin again after the events on Naboo, after all, so even if she remembers the innocent nine-year-old boy he was many years ago, that cannot blind her to the crimes he has committed.

Well done! =D=

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    darksideyesplease ? Awesome, not sure which I liked more.. Your prequel or this. Both are are great.

--Hey, thanks! :D

Jade_eyes ? That was amazing! Beautiful! Very worth the co-winner title!!!

--Thank you! :)

Valiowk ? Just found this after reading "The Boy in the Red Room". You managed to combine Star Wars with The Phantom of the Opera very well - we can feel various touches of Phantom in there, but it doesn't overpower the story. And how appropriate that both Vader and the Phantom wear masks!

--Yeah, I?m not all that great with crossovers, so I knew I wouldn?t be able to pull off the literal combination of two worlds, so I opted for this route instead. Glad to know it worked! I definitely didn?t want the Phantom parts to overpower the main focus: SW, of course!

The ending was heartbreaking, but appropriate - this is a universe where Padmé has never met Anakin again after the events on Naboo, after all, so even if she remembers the innocent nine-year-old boy he was many years ago, that cannot blind her to the crimes he has committed.

--Agreed. It would take a lot more than him professing his love to get past the horrible things he?s done. A lot lot lot more, I?m guessing. o_O Okay, maybe nothing, actually. :p

Well done!

--Thanks! :)

25. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    I would like to thank everyone who nominated and voted for this story in the Saga Fanfic Awards. It ended up winning Best Vignette. :D

And for those who might be curious, I am considering doing a expansion on this story. Just something to look for way down the road. ;)

Thanks again for the votes, guys!