main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Darth Maul Cameo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, May 23, 2018.

1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I knew that Maul appears in the film when I went to see it- heard a rumor and asked confirmation because it sounded so weird to me. Well there he was. Voiced by Sam Witwer as in animations, aged and with prosthetics as he should be. He even had that saber he built from the one that he took from an inquisitor he killed.

It did feel a bit weird to see him in the movie I never think he would really appear in- Darth Maul in Han Solo movie sounds insane, how it could make sense, but because of animations it does make a lot of sense in fact- Maul built his alliance of criminal syndicates in TCW- now he is ruling it as a secret mob boss- it is a surprising connection for sure but an interesting one.

It is also fun that because of Maul this was not the first SW-movie without lightsabers or the Force.

2. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    Sorry to disappoint but if Maul doesn't scream KENOBIIIIIIIIIIAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHGGGGURIISISISJEJEFGDODJSKS for no reason then I'm keeping my money.

:p

revan772 likes this.
  3. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Does the Cameo feel like its setting up for something else? or does it generally just feel like a glorified cameo delving into continuity?

Vialco likes this.
  4. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    It does seems like it could be followed up. Maul did order Qi'ra to meet him at Dathomir and that they will be working more closely together. On the other hand, I won't be surprised if nothing came out of it either.

kalzeth likes this.
  5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    You really think that is comparable?

Rebels actually spent quite a bit of time around Maul. It's clear Lucasfilm is lacking in original ideas.

After dogging the PT - every story has been either a flashback or rehash.

Star Wars needs a creative vision and director bad.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    kalzeth and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  6. The Maul scene was so ****ing awesome
    It made me very nostalgic to hear the theme of Duel of Fates again

That single scene I liked more than the whole movie of The Last Jedi
    I'm not exaggerating
    It just caused me a lot of emotion to see Maul in live action again

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2018
    Erkan12, Sudooku, KSennia and 6 others like this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well of that there is no question and never was. Lucas gave them original ideas for the ST and they decided they'd rather just use his previously used ideas. Then they've gone into this anthologies using more of Lucas' characters and situations. So it's about how well they execute on that.

Those kind of people aren't likely going to make Star Wars movies though. They'll want to make their own movies.

Well that is the extrapolation of the above. Whatever the faults of TFA, R1 and now Solo they joyously celebrate Lucas' Star Wars. TLJ does as well albeit in a back-handed way where it fights Star Wars then simply reverts to type.

Yet if something is actually that different and new then is it just a movie or series that slaps the Star Wars logo on while really not being that?

8. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    To be honest, I actually thought the hooded figure was meant to be Snoke... until he removed the hood, of course! ;)

While I really appreciate Maul's inclusion in the movie as a great nod to the rest of the franchise, the scene didn't really do anything for me. If anything, I found it slightly annoying that Qi'ra's story moved in that direction.

Riv_Shiel and kalzeth like this.
  9. unlimitedpower

Nov 11, 2014
    According to the theory that Snoke is Maul then you would be right anyway. :p

10. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Having Maul as leader of criminal syndicate darkens the "dark times" even further- Sith are in control of the galaxy more ways than one- and even opposing each other. This is very interesting connection but many movie-goers who are not interested in animations must be very confused now...

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes. Questioning the inclusion of a character in a film due solely to the fact that audiences know what the fate of that character is, has always struck me as odd. Films live or die on how well they tell a story. And if a story that includes Maul between his TCW and Rebels is told well, it’ll be good. If not, it won’t be. Depends on the writers and directors.

What’s confusing about it? Most audiences will see him as a big bad guy in the shadows hinting at new films to come. That’s all they need. And those who are intrigued will google it.

Sudooku, DBPirate, wobbits and 3 others like this.
  12. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    To me the "Maul part" was, I don't know, out of place. I mean, what was he doing there? It seemed like he was just (mis)placed there because "Maul is cool". In Rogue One Vader's appearance was a natural part of the plot, but Maul doesn't fit in so seamless in Solo.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    In the midnight hour I'll see Maul, Maul Maul! With a Rebels yell, I'll see Maul, Maul, Maul! Maul! Maul! Maul! Maul!

[​IMG]

14. unlimitedpower

Nov 11, 2014
    If you follow Maul's story in other media especially TCW then you will learn that he once became a Crime Lord to oppose Sidious so there's some precedence with him appearing during the Solo timeline as a Crime Lord again to well.. presumably oppose Sidious again. But yeah, if you don't even know that he survived TPM then it will feel very out of place. But the thing is, it's not even certain that the general audiences will even recognize Maul lol.

15. tsn81

tsn81 Jedi Master star 1

May 8, 2002
    I had no idea that Maul was going to be in the movie. I know about the cartoons and that he is alive during this time period, but I had not read any spoilers about him being in the movie. Originally I thought that it was going to be some new character, big bad created for future sequels, but when he took off his hood I was really excited. Maul was definitely underused in the prequel trilogy.

And I had not followed cartoons that closely, I did not know about his connections to the crime lords. And honestly, I doubt that the general public cares. And how he lives, well that is a mystery for future films, unless people get curious and decide to watch the cartoons.

Erkan12, Sudooku and Master_Rebado like this.
  16. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Oh, I know he survived. (And that felt wrong too.) And I know he turns up again in Rebels as well and there he somehow isn't so out of place because that feels more like a standalone story.

Hopeless likes this.
  17. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I recall one of the Han Solo books dealt with the lost treasure of Xim the Despot.

What if this involves Maul locating Malachor where he's ultimately marooned after he kills Q'ira when she realises the treasure he's searching for is an ancient Sith Superweapon intent on killing everyone to avenge himself on the Emperor?

So the second movie deals with the Corporate Sector and Blue Max rescuing Doc and then the third movie deals with Maul and Malachor setting up for his appearance in Rebels.

Is that even possible?

Alhazred and kalzeth like this.
  18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I think a fair amount of the casual audience will recognise maul from episode 1. They will probably be extremely confused about how he lived though.

ZodaEX, StoneRiver, SunStar and 4 others like this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when Ray Park got the call that he was going to be in Solo. Must have come as a pretty huge shock.

20. unlimitedpower

Nov 11, 2014
    It's not about the survive part though. It's the part where he was a Crime Lord that lends some connection of why he is put in Solo. I mean sure it still is very much out of the blue but knowing that he was a Crime Lord before reduces the sense of arbitrariness at least for me.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    So i wached Solo now an my god i was great to see Maul again on big screens. He looks like he's been trough alot over the years, he looks more experienced. His personality seems more Palpaine like he was in TWC, witch i love. I loved the Dathomir refference, maybe see it soon on film, seems his base is there. He still dresses like Sith, loved the hood reveal. His cameo, seemed like Thanos reveal, many more movies for him. Maul and Qira will be intresting as he'll work closely with her.

Erkan12, Sudooku, Bossk_Baby and 4 others like this.
  22. Jedimaster_Darklight

Jedimaster_Darklight Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 22, 2005
    This may be the Post of the Year. Good going! ^:)^

23. That is the same impression that left me

Even though it's fanservice it's a great moment to be able to see Maul again

Sudooku and Bossk_Baby like this.
  24. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Are you familiar with The Clone Wars-animation in which Maul built an alliance of criminal syndicates? He lead the alliance of Death Watch, Pykes, The Black Sun and Hutts.... if you have not then this is perfectly understandable reaction. But after TCW this actually makes a whole lot of sense in current canon and timeline.

I see what you did there;)... or was that pun accidental?

Yes I agree- it is his revival in TCW (which was Lucas' order) I didn't like- this continuation felt natural now.

ZodaEX and StartCenterEnd like this.
  25. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    I am, but still I have problems with connecting him to Han, even though they never meet at all. I can see your point, but I think in my mind I split between the movies and the animated series somehow. In CW I didn't like him reoccurring (but I wasn't allowed to vote ;) ) , in Rebels he fits better in, but I think my main concern is that in the movies he died in the reactor pit on Naboo, no matter what the Clone Wars series is trying to make me believe.