main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Darth Maul Cameo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, May 23, 2018.

1. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I can't imagine the Empire not having control over the majority of organised crime. Maul can have his Crimson dawn, but the Emperor must think it is an insignificant player. I feel that Black Sun is back as the top crime dog with the Emperor ultimately in control.

PCCViking and SithOverlord101 like this.
  2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    nah, i heard Maul's the top dog, the buggyman. and crimson Dawn's the most powerfull. Black sun is nothing but headless leaders,;) plus he allied with pykes. And Emperor has his empire dosen't bother with small fries anymore. sure he deals and have his governers deal with them. but in the shadows Maul has them in his grasp.

Sudooku and Erkan12 like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    According to Enfys Nest, Crimson Dawn is allied with the Empire in one way or another. And they are powerful enough that its leader can kill an Regional Governor with impunity. It’s a massive galaxy. The Empire likely needs loads of local allies to maintain control. Being allied with powerful criminal organizations that help exert that control is very realistic. Indeed, it’s a practice many historical Empires adopted.

Sudooku and Darkslayer like this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    when regarding Boba and Sing they along with Cade Bane would come back in play to season 7 of the clone wars. So i assume Boba forgave her for running away. to the empire era i see Boba and Sing working together like he does with Boosk. Boba's rival most likley be Cade Bane.

5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Crimson Dawn is allowed with the Empire, Enfys Nest says so herself. If I'm not mistaken, the last time we saw Maul, in TCW, he got beaten up by Sidious who told him he had a specific use for him. We can imagine that this specific use was to play a role in the criminal underworld.

The Empire's reliance on the criminal underworld is an important detail, IMO.

6. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Not really.

The 2014 comic Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir established that Sidious used Maul as a bait to lure out his old rival Mother Talzin out of hiding. His plan succeeded, and Talzin was killed. Most of Mauls underground organization, the Shadow collective, was wiped out in that comic. Sidious even was pleased that Maul had lost his power in the criminal underworld.

We know from the Ahsoka novel that Maul then tried to reconquer Mandalore, but he was defeated and captchured by Ahsoka Tano and Bo-Katan Kryze. Unfortunately, at that exact moment Order 66 was issued. Ahsoka had to flee from the clones and thus Maul was able to escape.

We can only assume that Maul was able to set up a new criminal empire in the following years with Crimson Dawn. It's not clear why Crimson Dawn is allied with the Empire, but I don't think it's because Maul is working for Sidious. Son of Dathomir clearly established that they're now arch-enemies. My guess is that nobody in the Empire doesn't know that Crimson Dawn is secretly led by Maul, as Dryden Vos was the public face of it. I think Maul uses his new underworld power for his own means, and he actually wants to get revenge on Sidious.

Gesendet von meinem SM-T580 mit Tapatalk

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Then his plans go amok, and he ends up on Malachor, being hunted by an Inquisitor. That forces a temporary alliance with Ezra and Kanan, only for him to go back to his Sith backstabbing ways.

I don't imagine Vader or Sidious would have allowed Crimson Dawn to remain strong if they knew Maul was the leader.

Darkslayer likes this.
  8. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Then they don't know who their leader is? Since Sidious or Vader would never do that.

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Ah, OK, then. I'm not familiar with those aspects of the canon.

10. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Or more likely, Palpatine knows but lets Maul think that he doesn't. Lets Crimson Dawn kill a regional governor that Palpatine actually needed replacing. Lets Maul feel like he is secretly gaining great power in the underworld again, and then crushes him once more with the truth, that he has nothing, that he has been Palpatine's pawn and is no longer required. Crimson Dawn's assets then taken over by Xizor's rebuilt and thriving, Black Sun.
    :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I don’t understand. Sidious and Vader could certainly tolerate a Maul-led Crimson Dawn if Crimson Dawn was helping to advance Imperial interests, either unwittingly or otherwise. As long as he wasn’t a threat to threat to them, why not?

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  12. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    So, you're saying that Sidious and Vader are like the Borg: they will ignore Maul until they consider him a threat? :p

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yes.

Darkslayer likes this.
  14. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    I've always considered Sidious allowing Maul to escape (again) as either setting up another story or a big plot hole. Talzin was the primary target for Sidious because of her power - but Maul is absolutely a threat. Look at Rebels for example, and the damage he brought, including killing a number of Inquisitors. Adding him in Solo leads me to believe that the Empire might wipe out some criminal syndicates by the time of Rebels, where we find Maul alone.

15. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    And I think Jabba assumes the role of big crime boss of the galaxy as a result (even though he was already a major player, he just sweeps up the pieces), and Boba Fett lands on the Empire's radar by helping deal with Crimson Dawn. Perhaps that leads to Vader's line in TESB, "...no disintegrations."

jc1138 likes this.
  16. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Palpatine probably had the ability to take Maul and Crimson Dawn down the moment before they posed a real threat.

Maul really was no threat at all in Rebels. So he killed a few Inquisitors? Palpatine couldn't care less. Maybe Palpatine foresaw that Maul's presence on Malachor was necessary for future events to go how he wanted.

Darkslayer and Bor Mullet like this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Darkslayer likes this.
  18. Sannom

Sannom Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2011
    Hey, all predictions and Force visions should be taken with a grain of salt ever since Maul pulled that stunt with the Holocrons. He probably messed up all predictions and Force visions in the past, present and future.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    A post Death Star/Yavin Sidious in Marvel expressed his respect for Maul as he considered him a lose to the Sith Order, unlike Dooku and he expressed his second thoughts on Vader when reviewing his Sith Apprentices.

I think some of you fail to understand that Maul cannot be killed so easily, and only when he chooses to let go of his appetite for adventure and combative slaughter. Eldra Kaitis thought she killed him by dropping a mountain on him, but it did not phase him. Kenobi thought he killed him on Naboo, and Sidious' biggest mistake was letting him to live on Sundari. Maul only comes back stronger. Maul is not an ordinary character or being in-universe.

Maul is obviously the secret ruler of the Crimson Dawn, although there is hints in the open who runs it, even in its name - the Empire/Emperor have no idea who runs it though, unlike the former Shadow Collective. Sidious in SOD believed Maul was no threat after his Shadow Collective and destroyed, this was not the case. Maul also openly ruled the Crimson Dawn on Dathomir, so this Maul is ballsy. Maul just reformed and created a new power base after Mandalore very quickly - since he cannot be killed and he's well skilled. Sidious failed in stopping Maul and he underestimated his first apprentice a few times, which is kinda odd since he trained him and chosen him but is overconfidence was always his greatest weakness.

Actually Maul beat Sidious to Malachor and gained the power for himself, he would've succeeded had not Kanan and Ezra brought the weapon to self destruct. He also fought off Ahsoka, she ran away(again, first was in the Ahsoka novel where she was no match for him), and Kanan just laid a trap for Maul to trip over the statues and the pyramid, Maul seemed like he was playing with him rather than going for the kill. Maul blinded Kanan with a lightning fast strike just prior. Maul also captured the The Ghost crew twice with relative ease. The duel on Tatooine could've went either way, but Maul's cybernetics were damaged from the desert and Kenobi could not afford to lose that fight since he was guarding the chosen one. It is also unclear as seems to have Maul thrown the fight, it seemed he committed suicide as it was badly choreographed and makes no sense otherwise. Maul almost defeated Sidious, and Maul's training of Savage allowed him to stand his own against the venerable Sith Master all on Sundari - cept Sidious called upon his Dark Side reserve.

I would not place much in the cartoons of Dave Filoni, since the storytelling was schizophrenic and he protects his favorites(which often happen to be his creations or OT or high profile early EU characters) all the time on his shows. His version of Sidious was overly powerful and doing stunt work that he should not been doing, while in the ROTS he was outclassed and outmatched by Mace Windu in ROTS and neither one were no where near as good a fighter as Maul in TPM. I would not get all excited over Sidious's spinning move either since Maul in Battlefront II was shown to be able to do a very similar and equally devastating move. Both Maul and Savage were also doing TFU moves in the animated series as well its direct sequel extension Maul was doing in Son of Dathomir. Moreover Maul was shown fending off both Mace Windu and Secura at the same time, which was no small matter as they're gifted Jedi Knights and not jobbers.

Moreover Filoni's version of Old Ben is somehow able to strike down someone as well skilled and deadly fast like Maul even on Rebels(Maul also snunk up and outflanked the Tusken Raiders which is no easy thing on their home turf and slaughtered them with ease), but yet the same character cannot over take the slow and cumbersome Vader in ANH.

Looking at the concept art for Solo, it seems they toyed in giving Maul a saberstaff similar to the one Darth Bane was conceptually gonna use on TCW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/alternate-concepts-darth-maul-solo-star-wars-story-pretty-crazy/

In any case I'll take the movie Maul over the cartoon Maul, at least Witwer did not hammy the voice work in live action but realized only a deeper voice was fitting for Park's real Maul.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    Sudooku and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Prefer that look, actually.

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Do you have a Maul shrine in your home? You sound ridiculously biased towards him.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't think Sidious cares too much about Inquisitors. And Vader doesn't seem to either for that matter.

23. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Oh, I think the Emperor and Vader likely consider the Inquisitors expendable fodder, but I still think they'd deem Maul a threat in this era if he is cutting down other Force users and running a criminal syndicate - especially one that's engaging the Empire, and stealing from it. We've likely only seen a very small portion of what Crimson Dawn is up to at this point...

BigAl6ft6, PCCViking and Hypatia like this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I will fully admit the thread title "Darth Maul cameo" sets my Star Wars Nerd OCD off cuz he's not a Darth anymore. He got fired!

Count Yubnub and Sudooku like this.
  25. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Movie Maul and animated Maul are the same character. TCW was actually captained by GL himself.

Ahsoka's Tano, BigAl6ft6 and Sudooku like this.