main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Darth Maul Cameo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, May 23, 2018.

1. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    The fact Maul never assasinates anyone proves he’s not an assasino. He could have sprung on Amidala from the shadows, but instead sirecrly faces off with Qui-Gon and Kenobi, which indicates he’s a Sith Warrior and true apprentice. In retrospect, Maul was very ambitious to take on two Jedi at once; but the again his master Palpatine slayed two Jedi Masters in one move (Episode IIi), which indicates Maul was trained to take on mulitiple Jedi.

Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  2. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Actually the EU's brought Maul back a few times even. Once as a clone created by Sidious's Dark Side Prophets and other as a still living disembodied brain powering a solid-state hologram on Iridonia that Luke came across. Another was Old Wounds, while non-canonical even in the EU, but it was this one shot quasi-canonical story - one that was eventually used as a loose basis for Maul's return on TCW and Rebels for Lucas' G-Level and modern Canon. One of the TFU's proposed early storylines actually featured the return of the Darth Maul from the dead. And by 2011 Lucas was still developing a Darth Maul: Battle of the Sith Lords game that woud've brought Maul into the Legacy era as either a clone or decedent or a still living original Maul with cyborg lower torso.

Anyway, back to SOLO, I liked how they made his eyes glowing red under his hood on the hologram. You have to really enjoy watching the scene on 4K ultra HD.

Atollon_Dweller likes this.
  3. Aximili86

Aximili86 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 28, 2018
    Maul's not an assassin? C'mon now. If Palpatine had wanted Amidala dead, Maul'd have no trouble doing his damndest to carry that out.

It was never about killing Amidala, it was about starting to set the chess pieces on the board for what comes in the next two movies.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    Atollon_Dweller and Kato Sai like this.
  4. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    I think some are confusing "Sith Assassin", an EU concept class with assassin and with that acts of assassination. Sith Lords can be assassins and carry out acts of assassination.

Something else SOLO changed for Maul's tattoos in the modern make up process, they arent just tattoos. His tats are actually edged into this skin like some kinda scarification ritual took place rather than just painted on.

5. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
  6. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    [​IMG]
    I'm in.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  7. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    On a side note, it kinda looks like this Crimson Dawn commander in the comic book was loosely modeled on the TFU Sith Apprentice but they went with Sargate SG-1 Egyptian goa'uld reject looks for these characters:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Bor Mullet, Erkan12 and Sudooku like this.
  9. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Are they half off? :p

Bor Mullet, Ahsoka's Tano and Sarge like this.
  10. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    More like half my pay check.:D

Hopefully Figuarts and Hasbro's versions (in BS and TVC) comes out around the same time.

PCCViking likes this.
  11. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    A second chance to make up for the losses of the film at the box-office. And when I see, just how many videos about describing action figures of other big Star Wars characters are on Youtube, then some turnout should come around.

12. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Just to think Maul was on screen for at least 1 minute and he gets a figure for the movie. this is why i can't imagine he not showing up again in live action.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Erkan12 likes this.
  13. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    I can already read the future postings in the Cassian Andor live action series thread: "I just watched the series because of Maul". And they pressed the last out of Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford. So why not take a similar chance on Ray Park?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    Erkan12 likes this.
  14. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    Ugh, those legs. Completely ruined the character for me.

Sarge likes this.
  15. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It is strange that they look far less advanced than the last legs he had in TCW....
    [​IMG]

Or Rebels.
    [​IMG]

Infact I would say his legs in Solo look more clunky and clumsy than the spider legs. It's like they were desperate to point out to the audience that they were fake, robot legs, oh wait,,,, that is exactly what they were doing.

Sarge and Erkan12 like this.
  16. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul never really covered his entire cybernetic legs, just up the knees same as above/movie. I don't really think he really hid it in any incarnation. Some of the concept art did feature some designs that were outlandish and others that were much closer to this appearances on TCW or Rebels.

While it may look heavy, we do not really know the kinda fictional materials that made it and obviously Maul wouldve conditioned himself to handle it. And its doubtful it would've matter since Maul remained more mobile and agile than Vader, whatever cybernetics he used - they worked well for him. I think the finished look, do look more more sturdy and rugged than in the animated series, which probably would not have the kinda believable articulation, wiring and hydraulics necessary for Maul to move like a ninja as we see in the cartoon. Pretty much very similar to combat chassis from a Terminator endoskeleton and less C-3PO droid model. In fact they're more inline with the live action films, and not dissimilar to Vader's prosthetic lower legs(which had to fit inside boots and shin armor).

[​IMG]

Even Saw Gerrera sported a very robotic foot/leg in Rogue One in the film. And it could've been worse:

[​IMG]

Sudooku likes this.
  17. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    They were probably trying to make sure people could tell they were robotic legs. for anyone who did not know about Mauls return in Clone wars.

Erkan12, Sudooku and TCF-1138 like this.
  18. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Aughhhh....why did they have to put Darth Maul in this?

Sarge and devilinthedetails like this.
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Who’s Aughhhh, and what did they have to do with this decision?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  20. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Ron Howard...that was his old username here. I think. I could be mistaken.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I still really love the inclusion of Maul. Not just for future setup in a (hopefully) Disney+ series or something but also as a way to connect to the animated series. It strengthens the idea that it all counts and characters can move from one medium to the other.

22. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Honestly, the Maul cameo at the end was the biggest misstep of Solo (a movie I overall enjoyed as my second favorite of the Disney era) for me. I wasn't a fan of the decision to bring Maul back from the strongly shown to be dead in Phantom Menace since in general I'm not a fan of bringing characters back from the dead since to me it cheapens death from a narrative perspective as anyone can than be brought back to life as is convenient for the plot. So, to me, Maul's inclusion here felt like doubling down on a decision that I wasn't a fan of to begin with.

I also think it had the downside of confusing casual fans who only watch Star Wars movies. I went to see it once with my mother, who only watches the movies when they come out, and she looked at me kind of puzzled as the credits started to roll, asking, "Didn't that guy die at the end of Episode I?"

So, to me and to my mother, it would've been better just to leave the leader of Crimson Dawn unknown so I could imagine it was an extra intimidating Star Wars version of a Mafia boss rather than a not-dead-after-all Maul.

It didn't ruin the movie for me by any means but it did feel like a gimmick to me that I could've done without.

Sarge and Alpha-Red like this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It's still one of my favorite things about Solo. It felt like a love-letter to us silly cartoon-viewers. :)

24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, exactly! I definitely get the argument that it's confusing for those who only watch the films but for us completists it really does reward our investment. I now feel it isn't just some pipe dream that some of my favorite characters could appear in live action. If they can bring Maul back and include Saw Gerrera then Ahsoka, Kanan, Ezra, etc. are certainly not off the table.

25. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Maul's collecting astrological and Dark Side objects from Sith Holocrons to including Rakatan Wraith boxes. And he became a knowledgeable practitioner of Nightsister shadow magick . He's definitely up to something mystical aside from running a vast Criminal empire...