main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Darth Maul Cameo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth_Voider, May 23, 2018.

1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I don't mind it really, even though I disliked them bringing him back in the cartoons. But if its canon then they may as well utilise him I guess. I'm not sure he had to ignite his lightsaber though, that bit was just the icing on a huge serving of fan service cake. Does anyone know if that was Ray Park playing him, was it another actor or was it CGI?

kalzeth likes this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    It was Ray Park, voiced by Sam Witwer (it says so in the credits).

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    Erkan12, dekaneas, Tycalibur and 3 others like this.
  3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I think the lightsaber thing works within the story (and not just as fan service) because he has to inspire both fear and awe in this new lieutenant of his. And Qi’ra, unlike the audience, has never seem someone use the force (and brandish a lightsaber). Emilia really sells that fear and awe with her acting in this scene as well. Mendelsohn-level acting.

4. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    Yes you can.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  5. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Yep.

But the voice was Sam Witwer.

6. Freelancer257

Freelancer257 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Sep 20, 2004
    I think it would have been more fitting with the theme of "don't trust anybody" for Q'ira to take over Crimson Dawn without another villain being involved.

If Maul is in play in any sequels, is Han going to meet him and witness the Force being used?

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I imagine not. Though he might, and chalk it up to “simple tricks and nonsense.”

kalzeth likes this.
  8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    The story already exists though and what's more it was done by Lucas himself so that counts the most.

Totally disagree as the new movies have had more than plenty of PT references. It's woven directly into the entire fabric of all the new movies especially TLJ. Actually the new saga movies have been truer to the PT overall moreso than the OT (and how many people would have believed that?)

Quite.

Maul has to build up power with the goal to one day overthrow Sidious but it might take decades.

9. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I doubt Maul will give a monkey about Han more likely he escapes with Chewie & co but Maul remains behind.
    If they go down this route I wonder how they'll handle this and will Q'ira survive to replace Maul as leader of his group?

10. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

Really there is probably more PT to this movie then there has any right to be

kalzeth likes this.
  11. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    This is right. Even though all Star Wars media is canon, there should never be a situation where two separate media have to be watched/read to understand something. Maul died in TPM. There was nothing wrong with TCW bringing him back for its stories, but to then attempt to bring that character back into the movie media with no explanation is a mistake. Its not good enough to say "Oh just watch TCW for answers, or go read wookiepedia and do some research". I also don't understand where they can go with Maul seeing that his end is already told in Rebels, not unless they want to retell it in film.

12. Tammy Mac

Tammy Mac Jedi Knight

Dec 10, 2013
    I really feel like Han and Chewie's story in this part of the timeline is told. The setup that the Maul / Qui'ra scene gives will be for the next chronological movie (Kenobi) and I am pretty sure that the Kenobi movie will have a nice set up for Rogue One making the first three Anthology movies a loose 'Dark Times' Trilogy. I would also predict that the definitive Death of Maul - The Actual Canon version told in Rebels - will be the Coda to the Kenobi movie... one last confrontation with maybe a digitally aged Ewan to look more like Alec Guinness.

Alhazred likes this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I like this because there's a potentially awesome story here. Its more of a tease than a cameo. Just because it happened in a movie about Han Solo doesn't mean it has to be resolved in another Han Solo movie. They might be teasing an MCU approach with the character anthologies. Maul could be next. I'd be totally OK with that. What has he been up to between RoTS/Siege of Mandalore and Solo? How does he end up isolated on Malachor? Imagine Maul reconquering the Star Wars underworld, battling Inquisitors along the way. Maybe it's the right story for a rated R Star Wars film.

14. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    The Maul cameo was much better than i thought.
    HIS Bootless Terminator Legs where a great way to indroduce him.

Erkan12 likes this.
  15. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Maul is the most underused villain of any quality, but a lot has to do with the mystery. I'm not sure where he goes from here other than revenge against Obi-Wan and Palpatine.

kalzeth and MS1 like this.
  16. Joystick Chevron

Joystick Chevron Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2017
    There are more stories available than a character's death. There are several years before his appearance on Rebels, and it's evident he's a presence in the underworld. A variety of underworld stories could be told with Maul, and there's always how he ended up on Malachor.

DarthUncle likes this.
  17. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Who knows maybe they're teasing Maul for a role in the inevitable Star Underworld (inspired) live action tv series;)

B3 and DarthUncle like this.
  18. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    As well done as the scene in Rebels was with Obi Wan, I kinda of wish we didn't see that or left his fate up in the air until after they show him in these movies. Kind of takes the excitement out of it.

kalzeth and SilentGuy66 like this.
  19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    For me this hints are more Maul cinematic stories, maybe in the possible Kenobi film.

In a way this rights one wrong which was to kill Maul too soon.

20. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Naturally, this all leads to Obi-Wan meeting Qui’ra and them being Rey’s parents.

(Kidding. At least, I think I am.)

21. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    So I heard before the film came out. Was almost expecting Peter Serafinowicz to reprise the voice role, but Witwer is just as good at this point. :)

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not sure what that means. Besides that in Lucasverse terms everything is the "PT" since there are the 3 particular movies which then open the entire story of the OT into a different context that they are now always a part of then add in TCW which further defines the overall larger fabric which then in particular is built upon by his student Filoni in Rebels. On top of all of that as before TFA, R1 and TLJ.

He is the voice of the resurrected Maul plus PS seems quite sour for no particular reason.

Depends entirely on what it is that is needed to be understood and the context of the movies.

Not a mistake. It's not optimal but in Maul's case that was done by the actual film-maker Lucas himself not Disney so that story simply can't be told in the movies unless you use some flashback device within a future movie to reprise key events. There were no movies for Lucas to do that story in.

In the case of the ST where they should have put the actual basic state of the galaxy and world building in their own movies in the first place then expand in outside media but didn't (and instead are putting them in animation, books and comics plus visuals guides etc) then I think that is a distinct mistake because the film-makers will have next to nothing to do with those stories.

I don't see the actual relevance. Maul is no different from any number of characters. The entire Solo movie is about a character whose finish we've already seen in TFA. Stories can jump all over the timeline.

23. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The answer is very simple. Rebels will be rendered Legends.

24. unlimitedpower

unlimitedpower Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2014
    How is it any contradiction? Seeing the bigger bad is not what's "out of the left field", what was "out of the left field" is seeing Maul as the bigger bad. This is not to say I'm writing this off immediately as bad, it's just the impression that I got. I would be lying if I say I was not excited at seeing Maul but at the same time I also wonder whether it is really necessary use Maul again. I guess it's all depends on whether this is only a one-time cameo or prelude to further stories. If latter is the case (like many of you think), then those stories better be good.

25. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Why a character we saw die, has just turned up as a crime lord. If I hadn't seen the cartoons, I would certainly want some explanation in the film (which itself wouldn't be good (show, don't tell)).

Han Solo is a movie character in Star Wars. Other media that he is in is secondary to his movie storyline. Nothing important happens to Han in say the Star Wars Comic, you don't miss anything important if you don't read it. Resurrected Maul is a TV series character, that is were all his important storyline is told (was meant to be told). In SOLO he has been taken out of his primary media and put into a media where his last appearance was his original death, and where his eventual end (and earlier resurrection) will not be shown unless they recreate those events.

Darth Downunder likes this.