main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Daughters of the Winds. OC fic. Dont Faint! New post 11/18...

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Chaos_Rose, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chaos_Rose

Chaos_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Hello, readers!

This tale takes place nearly 10,000 years before TPM and is based on a plot bunny from Symmetry and Imperfection. When Abhaia gave her infant daughter, Arien, to a group of space-going women called "Oathkin," it was mentioned that the group as a whole seemed to dislike and mistrust Jedi.

This story is all OC and speculation about the middle years of the Republic. I hope that you enjoy. :)

Oh, by the way-

FEEEDBAAAACK!!

~

The Daughters of the Winds

Prologue
    Greatmother's Oath

~

Old age gave one nothing if not perspective and patience. Thia Gann'er hur Elonia had leaned this at the knee of her own greatmother and had it branded into her soul during her years as Captain of Thia's Outrider. As all Daughters of the Winds knew there were times to act and times to wait, but with the very heart of the Oathkin torn and bleeding she could wait no more.

Turning her Outrider over to her First Daughter, Jelana, Thia ordered all the ships of sept hur Elonia into the unknown space far beyond the grasp of the Republic. Merisama Lisim'er, Wind Walker to sept hur Patrize offered her the use of her own corvette, the Freedom Song.

The sun was just rising, the winds cold and stiff as the two old women walked across the Landing, their bright garb bound with white mourner's bands. From time to time, they stopped, Merisama leaning heavily on her walking stick ? at nearly a century-and-ten she was starting to feel her years. Thia was only seventy-five, her red hair thickly shot with silver ? yet the events of the past month made her feel older than the rock they stood on.

They came to a small ship parked among the Outriders, Striders, and landing flitters from the Far Rangers. The surface resembled mother-of pearl and the lines ? as for all Oathkin vessels ? made it look as if the ship had been grown rather than built. The Wind Walker pricked her finger, shed a drop of blood onto a small glass 'eye,' and an entry ramp extruded from the ship.

The woman then took Thia's hand, and with a quick jab to her index finger, brought a ruby drop to the tip. As the scanner cycled clean, she pressed a series of small buttons, then smeared the blood onto the device.

"She is yours, Thia." Merisama kissed her on both cheeks, her tears flowing as freely as the gray hair she had unbraided in grief. "The Convocation of Clan Mothers has been ordered, Jini and Lurann are dead. I am named to replace Jini. I will see to it that Jelana sits in Lurann's place."

"If I do not return in a year, Merisama, light the Heartfire for me. Sing me to rest in the arms of our Mothers and never, ever suffer another Jedi to shadow the steel of our decks."

Merisama bowed deeply, "By my heart's blood, sister, shall it be so."

Bowing her head in gratitude and mourning, Thia walked up the ramp and into the corvette.

The Meeting Moon fell away behind her and she stifled the urge to keen Heartsong to those she was leaving behind. Nearly every ship of the Oathed was represented. Some were still in transit, too fearful to take chances in Republic space after what had befallen their sisters.

Avoid all Republic ships, and shun the Jedi. Guard you well the babes. The child-stealers take none over the age of four.

Such a bitter message to send. Even more bitter to have your aid and trust repaid with dead kin and stolen children.

The Jedi were worse than pirates, even worse than slavers ? at least those did not cloak their true nature in good words and lofty motives. Before departing Thia had laid a blood charge before the Sept Mothers and it had been unanimously accepted. Though the Great Charter mandated aid to all that asked, for the first time in the long history of the Daughters of the Winds, the Kin of the Oath, all aid would be denied to the Jedi until the Winds ceased.

"May they blow until the stars go dark." Thia winced at the fury in her voice. Such was not the Way. The Kin fought where they could fight, ran when they could not, and let the Winds take them where they would. The Way

2. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Shame on you for starting a new story :mad: without even coming up for a title for your last one. :p

Well... this looks good. I guess I'll read it, too. ;)

3. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Knight-Ander: "Shame on you for starting a new story :mad: without even coming up for a title for your last one." 8-}

I know! I know! Sometimes it takes me forever to come up with a good title. Sometimes I hit it right away.

I hope that you enjoy this tale, as well. :)

4. Domina_Tagge

Domina_Tagge Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2001
    Oooh, a prequel! *happiness*

I was curious about the Oathkin when you mentioned them in Symmetry & Imperfection... (a marvelous story, if any readers haven't experienced it!) looking forward to this!

Up!

5. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Thanks, Domina!

I am still working on this one, so don't give up hope. :)

The next post should be up on this story by Thursday or Friday.

6. Domina_Tagge

May 9, 2001
    An up from long long ago & far away! Sorry I've been off the boards, Chaos_Rose, hope you're doing well & still writing *grin*

7. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I don't need to start reading another story... I don't need to start reading another story...

Somehow, I think it's a lost cause. Nice beginning. You've a way with mood and scene, Chaos.

8. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Yeeep! Up from the depths...

Thanks for remindding me, Domina and MJ!

I am still working on this, but the AU fic has been eating my time. I still want to finish this, but may tie it a little closer to Symmetry and Imperfection[/b] and let Arien have some of the story.

What think you?

9. Domina_Tagge

May 9, 2001
    Cool! I would love to hear about Arien... her fate has been nibbling at my brain like evil little mice. :D

Whatever you want to write for us, please do!

10. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    :eek: oh WoW Rose I just found Symmetry and Imperfection and did a marathon reading, and then popped over to check this one out.

In my most humble opinion,

YES PLEASE WRITE MORE!!!!!!!!!!

:D The Wookiee

11. Kathryn

Kathryn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    Just found this, not sure how I missed it before. Great beginning, wow, you always manage to impress me. Hope you get the time to write more soon.

And yes, I think that's a great idea, to make the story about Arien.

12. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Wow! I just saw this come up from the depths. You know, I've had the next bit of this languising on the hard drive since the muse for Some Other Future's Past has been riding me.

Let me dust the bit off and see what I can do by tomorrow...

13. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    Ohhhhhhhhh [face_smiling happily in anticipation]
    **brandishing lightsaber and leading charge**

"fear not little languishing post! Slightly psychotic readers to the rescue"

**runs down thread, wildly swinging saber**

14. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Okay, here's a bit more. We don't really get to meet Arien yet, but we will soon.

This part takes place shortly after ANH in the far reaches of space beyond the Empire.

~
    Ten Thousand Years Later
    ~

Removing the induction device from her head, Arien Sian'er hur Catairjen swayed in her seat, her blue eyes falling in and out of focus. Combing her fingers through her curly black hair, the girl vas visibly trying to order her thoughts and return to being the person she was before she had put on the helmet and input leads.

Nathalhia Melliri'er hur Windwalkers nodded to herself. To be so pulled in to the emotions and experiences of the old ones was a sign of the Windwalker's Way and yet?

Reaching out, she immersed herself in the girl's Lifesong and found the puzzling sensation again.

A wall? How could one put a wall around the ability to tap the Lifesong?

Arien tried to stand and wobbled before falling back in her seat.

Gliding up to the girl, Nathalhia gently pressed Arien's shoulder. "Rest, child. The Heartsongs of the Mothers take some so."

The girl just nodded and sagged back in the chair, her face drawn from the ordeal. The intensely blue eyes fogged and closed, struggled open and slipped shut again. When her breathing altered to that of sleep, the Windwalker knelt beside her.

Pushing the looped braids of white hair over her shoulders, Nathalhia studied the drowsing child before rising, turning and walking out of the Hall of Memory. Gesturing to her apprentice, she instructed that Arien be given food and drink when she awoke. Laitre nodded, and the bowed herself away in a swirl of pale blue robes. The elfin-featured young woman was becoming far too serious. Nathalhia promised that she'd come up with a good rattle to the girl's complacency soon.

At nearly one hundred years, Nathalhia had some practice it.

For now, however, she had a very tense mother waiting for news of her First Daughter.

She walked through halls with the rock floors worn silk-smooth from the feet of Windwalkers before her. How many women had passed the Fountain of Gurialan? How many sat on its edge, now dimpled with the impressions of generation of bottoms, and soaked their feet in the cool water?

The Meeting Moon had been the refuge of the Daughters of the Winds for almost fifty thousand years. Originally a hiding place from wars so horrific that the time was called the Time of Ashes, the moon became the hub around which the Oathed Kin turned. Those early Mothers had come here in ships packed full of bereaved women and orphaned children, blown by winds of hatred and death, and in time they had forged the First Circle and given the Rede to all who would live here.

The First Circle had carved the Holds out of solid rock, driving them deep enough so that they would be unaffected by all but the heaviest barrages. As a result, the Meeting Moon looked much lie parkland, with only ceremonial buildings left above ground. Here, in the Windwalkers Hold, the archives and history of the Clans were kept. Colorful stone buildings were light and airy with graceful s-curved pillars. Mosaics covered many surfaces, showing events like First Binding or the giving of the Rede.

Out of all the buildings, the House of the First Mothers was the most conspicuous. The black granite was flecked with bits of pure silver, resembling the stars that had given the fleeing refugees shelter. The steel knotwork binding the pillars had been taken from the First Ship and worked to symbolize the Oath.

"To do no harm. To succor the innocents. To honor the sacrifices of our mothers with our own. To defend who and what we are. We take the Oath as our name, our history and our blood. We are the Daughters of the Winds."

At the end of the First Mothers' Concourse sat a petite woman in the midnight blue and sun yellow of hur Catairjen. Outrider Captain Sian Juini'er hur Catairjen stood at the first hint of Nathalhia's multihued blue robes brushing stone.

Now in her mid-thirties, Sian had been one of the youngest captains ever. When sh

15. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    More???

**snort**

Dumb question..

Y........E.......S !!!!!!!!!!

This is fascinating, even if Obi isn't in it. And I would very much like to see where you take this.

16. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
  17. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    [face_pitiful]

Looks at thread

makes another [face_pitiful]

UP

18. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    If someone else doesn't say this story is intriguing and fantastic, I'm going to slap them all up. :p

19. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    face brightens

"can I help?"

20. Chaos_Rose

May 12, 2002
    Okay, okay. I'm working on another chapter, but this tale is not coming as easily as the other stories.

Sometime this week, I think.

21. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    face brightens even further

"Thank You!!!"

:D The (suddenly happy) Wookiee

22. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    **wanders thru singing**

UP