main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Day the Star Wars CCG Changed

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Sep 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    What cards, strategys, game mechanics, decks, etc. do you think had the greatest impact on the evolution of the Star Wars CCG?

2. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    I think that the inclusion of the starting interrupt changed the game for the better. Sure, objectives gave you some structures to work with, but those SIs really quickened the pace of the game to what it is today.

3. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    Two things:

1. Objectives. Even without starting interrupts, objectives let you start with certain cards on the table, let you pull more cards out of your Reserve Deck, and gave you game-wide benefits for completing ("flipping") the objective: direct damage, drain modifiers/cancellers, retrieval, battle destiny adders, etc.

Objectives also helped newer players. It gave you something you could focus your deck on. If you were building an ISB deck, guess what: you needed ISB operatives! You also knew what type of locations you would need.

As I've said before, I entered the game around Enhanced Jabba's Palace (needed that Mara Jade card!) and my first objective was You Can Either Profit By This. I spent weeks building and tweaking my Profit deck. Whenever I went to tournament, that was my LS deck of choice.

Objectives definitely had a major impact on the game, more than any other card type IMO.

2. Glossary 2.0. This rules document helped clarify many rules and cards. Actions, battling, creature rules, capturing rules, presence vs. present, pilots adding power, etc. It's hard to imagine where SW:CCG would be without this document.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The starting Interrupt was the most drastic change in the game for me.

5. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Hmmmm, I would have to say the objectives changed it the most for me. Starting interrupts are great, but objectives add a whole new dimension to my decks.

6. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    In terms of mechanics, I'd have to say that the Hoth shields really blew me away (pun?). I mean, when I read that rules sheet, I had to read it again--"You mean I can deploy and drain here all I want and the Imperials can't?!"

Probably the cards that gave the most goosbumps were the first Epic Events: Attack Run and Commence. Those two cards really made the Star wars universe come alive for me.. and I knew that if they were any indication of what was to come in the years ahead, then I was in for a sweet ride.

7. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    probably the thing that changed it for me was Special Edition -- objectives and operatives (which took them a few weeks to errata)...
    starting interrupts made the game more fun by helping start your process, but objectives gave you a purpose...

8. PloKoon187

PloKoon187 Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2003
    I'd have to say the day I found Lucasfilm, Inc's dagger in my back. That was a very sad day. I dislike WoTC (since I played magic until they got out of hand, near Mirage I believe) and dislike the game they envisioned. It is a decent game, don't get me wrong, but what a crappy thing to do to all of the fans. Lucasfilm really let down a bunch of us who STILL play even without expansions still coming out. My endless praise goes out to the PC for continuing to shake up the gaming.

Bitterly,
    Me

9. Statman

Statman Jedi Youngling

Sep 23, 2003
    Game Mechanics: Have to pick 2
    Immediate Effects - Talking about Push and Hell to Pay (and Tentacle and Grappline Hook) - Majorly changed the way that interrupts were played "en masse"
    Starting Interrupts - the beginning of speed to swccg. While objectives were huge to development and consistency of the game, starting interrupts was it's start.

Cards:
    There Is Good In Him & Bring Him Before Me - alternate win conditons, while not overly popular decks it was a change in ideas that were highly storyline.

10. Sifu

Sifu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 18, 1999
    Operatives blew the scene away when they first came out. Personally, the bounty hunting was fantastic.

11. Capt_Piett

Capt_Piett Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2002
    1.) Starting Effects- I mean, come on. Ten extra cards!
    2.) Objectives - Really gives structure and more ease of play.
    3.) Starting Interupts - Speeds up game machanics.
    4.) Perminent Weapons - They have their limitations, but I can easly shave off a few cards per deck with perminent weapons.

12. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Starting Interrupts did a whole lot.

13. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Hey, how 'bout them "bluff" rules. Man, I have a friend who milked that for everything it was worth, and then some. Geez, I hated that site. We had more battles there than at any other location.

The day he got the bright idea to play Expand The Empire there, I think I actually started laughing.. you know, looney bin kind of laughing...

14. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I always thought about making a bluffs deck but never got a copy of it.

15. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    I'm surprised no one mentioned inserts. Now those were fun.

16. JediMasterChiefYoda

JediMasterChiefYoda Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2003
    I was always in love with Jedi Training. . . even after I got my Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.