main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DC Animated Universe Thread (The Timmverse & Beyond)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Sn4tcH, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    The last two or three weeks (lost count :p) I watched all episodes of Justice League (+Unlimited) (except Far From Home and Ancient History). Absolutely amazing series. I've actually never seen any of it before. Some of the stories are a bit... weird, but all of them are entertaining. Some of the earlier JLU episodes focusing on other heroes I didn't care that much for, but it quickly changed back to bigger events and involving the original 7.

There were so many awesome moments, it's unbelievable. And I wouldn't want to choose between A Better World and Starcrossed. There's just so much happening in both. Lord-Batman pwning League-Batman about an 8 year old losing his parents to some punk with a gun ("Okay, you won") and then League-Batman later retorting with "Mom and Dad would be so proud of you" is one of the best moments in the whole series. And that's only Batman.

I find it funny that Batman, among 6 superpowered heroes, is still my favorite :D Closely followed by the only other one who can't fly: The Flash. But apart from his stunt in Divided We Fall he is mostly just plain adorable, whereas Bats is kickass.

I only barely remember that I've seen a couple of Batman TAS episodes as a kid and even fewer Superman episodes. I think I only saw like 2 minutes of Batman Beyond on TV here (because I remember the Batman of the Future title).

2. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    If you enjoyed Bats on Justice League, then you must go now, run, don't walk, and pick up the Batman Animated Series. Kevin Conroy is still Batman, Mark Hamill is the Joker (isn't he now forever?**) and everything that's good about JL and JLU started there.

**I've been reading the novelization for No Man's Land and whenever the Joker appears, it's the Mark Hamill version I see and hear in my mind.

3. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I got all the Justice League episodes recently and I just finished watching Destroyer the last episode, I love it when Superman lets loose his power and Batman fighting even though he could be crushed by Darksied, these are some of my favourites A Better World, Injustice For All and Divided We Fall the Flash is great in Divided We Fall ?I Can Never Go That Fast Again? great series I love it and I've just purchased the whole Batman Animated Series but I'm having a hard time getting the Superman Animated Series hopefully I will soon and then my collection will be complete.

4. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004

Same here. In Hush, when the Joker is bloody, running around, and screaming, "It's BATTYMAN!" I can't imagine any other voice! And that laugh... It still will send a shiver down my spine.

5. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I know ;) I don't remember much from when it was on TV here, but I never forgot that it was a great series. I watched JL(U) now because I never saw it before at all.

6. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    I just picked up a really nice set of JLU figures from Target today. They included Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Bizaro, Amazo?, and a cool Bruce Timm style Doomsday figure as an exclusive. I had no idea Doomsday ever even appeared in JLU.

7. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Yes Doomsday appeared twice in The Justice League from what I remember.

8. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    He's in the first justice lords episode. And He's also in the last seasaon iirc. Good episodes.

Justice Lords

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I also use the voices of the actors from the DCAU, when I read the comics and imagine the animated versions when I read the novels. Though, I sometimes barrow other voices from other incarnations, if they fit or I cannot think of who could do it. James Remar is doing Black Mask for "The Batman", so I use him my comic reading with BM. I tend to favor Daly as Superman. I do use Tom Welling as young Clark and now Yuri Lowenthal (Legion Of Super-Heroes) as Superboy.

10. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    You actually watch The Batman? I've only caught half an episode or two, and watched the Dracula movie and thought it was a pale imitation of TAS.

11. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    I've seen the first 3 or 4 episodes of The Batman and what I like most in it is Alfred ;)
    oh, and the car.

hey, does the Batmobile in TAS ever change?

12. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    Yes. They changed it significantly when they went from Batman TAS/Batman and Robin Adventures to the final series, Gotham Knights.

[image=http://superherouniverse.com/superheroes/images/batman/btas/batmobile.jpg] [image=http://toyeast.ideoconcepts.com/productimage/tn/tbatman5tn.jpg]

13. Death_Omega

Death_Omega Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    You should check out this season, there's going to be an episode taking place in the near future featuring a Batman and Batmobile, both of them looking similar from Dark Knight Returns, Oracle and Nightwing.

14. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    They've got Seasons 1 & 2 of The Batman available on DVD now. I've looked them over but kinda felt like I'd be cheating on the JL if I "sold out" and picked them up. Are they really worth all the Batman trouble they caused JLU?

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't watch "The Batman". I read about it on Wikipedia when I was looking up some stuff about Black Mask and found out Remar was doing the voice. I tried watching the show, but I just don't like the new looks. I don't think it's worth watching. I mean, look at the Riddler.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Animated_Riddler.jpg]

Good looking fellow here.

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/TheBatmanRiddler.jpg]

But when did he look like Marlyin Manson? I like Robert Englund, but not as him.

16. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I like it actually.

I have season 1 on DVD. I'll probably get season 2 some day, it just isn't a must have DVD right now.

Most of the critism is just. Especialy some of the early episodes where Bruce will only eat Nachos and stupid stuff like that but it actually grows after a bit. The last couple of episodes of the first season that center around Clay Face almost do BTAS justice.

The new episodes that air on Saturday are pretty good. Its slightly different Bat Girl take that I enjoyed. Haven't seen the new Robin yet though.

17. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    I hate the character design and style of The Batman too much to fall in love with the show, but I'd be able to at least like it if they didn't have the worst joker design and voice acting ever.

[image=http://www.alteregocomics.com/store/files/images/large/d_2622.jpg]

18. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I haven't seen any episodes of The Batman, and based off everything I have seen and read there isn't much drive to do so.

Just based on the artwork, it almost seems like they're trying too hard to be different than the previous incarnations of the Batman character & stories (recently posted Joker & Riddler pics are a fine example).

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, but my issue isn't about the previous series being superior. It's that the previous series was fairly faithful to the spirit of the comics. Even when the DCAU went off in it's own tangent with stories, the characters resembled their original counterparts in the DCU. This version barely even does that. Penguin doing kung-fu? Last I read, he wasn't capable of that and even Paul Dini has kept him consistant with his appearence in Detective Comics to previous years and his own animated take. Cluemaster being this short guy who lost a quizshow? The guy I know was an ordinary joe who became a criminal, when his mind went out the door and started leaving clues while committing robberies. Later he gave that up and stuck to just committing crimes without leaving clues. Bane doesn't even look like the character. Granted, they got carried away with the redesign by Bruce Timm, but I never saw him turn red.

There's change for the sake of change and then there's change to be hip & cool.

20. RolandofGilead

Jan 17, 2001
    What bothered me about The Batman was it looked just like the art designs for another cartoon I really hate, The Jackie Chan Adventures. After TAS Batman should lead the industry, not copy some of it's worst traits.

Quick update: Justice League Unlimited Season One, and Batman Beyond Season Two go on sale tomorrow. The best prices I could find were at Best Buy and Circuit City who offered them at $29.99 each.

21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They were modeled after Jackie Chan Adventures. The artist in question is Jeff Matusda, who used to draw X-Factor in the mid 90's.

22. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

Mar 13, 2004
    I still just don't understand the villain redesign, or why they felt the need to make up new origins for every one.

23. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yeah, that might be why I don't find it as dispicable as other people. I've always loved Matusda. Thought it was great seeing him on Jackie Chan and was equaly thrilled to see him doing Batman.

24. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    The only thing that I can think of is that we've already seen excellent portrayals of the villains in TAS, and to do the same thing over again in The Batman would be repetitive, and most likely end up worse than before. Hence the reason they shook things up, to give us something new rather than a worse version of something we've already seen.

25. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Figure I mention it here. Lucy Lawless has been cast as Wonder Woman for "New Frontier".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.