main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate the De-extinction of species

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth-Horax, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    What about woman?

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    And?

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, we have someone admitting to being a creationist, and others who have not heard that god is dead.

[​IMG]

4. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Cloning neanderthals would lead the human race into a brave new era of racism. The Neans would effectively become a lower caste of people.

5. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Maybe the aliens live for tens of billions of years, and thus 3.6 is merely the blink of an eye.

But yeah that's a weird theory.

6. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Yeah imagine planting an algae farm and coming back later only to find out that your algae is building particle accelerators.

A lot of people misunderstand the theory of creation plus evolution.

7. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Slime plus time.

Darth Punk and Jabbadabbado like this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So the interstellar version of Monsanto, then?

9. Darth-Horax

Darth-Horax Force Ghost star 6

Aug 22, 2001

As a creationist, I've always said how evolution and creationism can exist side by side.
    I find it funny that a lot of people can't see that, but oh well.

At least you and I can agree on this.

10. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Define 'creationist', or we'll have to assume it's creationist of "the Jedi Draft Series".

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Well no, creationism is by definition inconsistent with evolution.

I mean, if you believe god triggered events, that's one thing, but you aren't really a creationist in the sense most of us understand it.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    **** yeah.

"Goddess on the mountaintop
    Burning like a silver flame..."

*ahem* Where were we?

Oh yeah, extinct species.

Nah.

Pulling from Stephen King, "Sometimes, dead is better."

Plus what I learned from Jurassic Park is that humans would be too stupid to handle it. We'd probably try to create large carnivorous reptiles in test tubes, contain them behind electric fences, and sell tickets. And the first time some poor loser got eaten off a Port-A-John, the world would end.

13. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000

[​IMG]

Hank Hill and Ender Sai like this.
  14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    First of all, I firmly believe that our priorities must be the conservation of species and ecosystems that we have today on Earth, as well as restoring endangered species populations to healthy levels. With that being said, I also think that bringing back extinct species to life is a thing that we should do, but species that are extinct due to human interference such as the Thylacine, pyrenean ibex, the moa, the dodo, the passenger pidgeon and as many others as we can...including the wooly mammoth and other late Pleistocene species that are gone because of us. An ethical duty if you will. So in my opinion, I don't think it's a good idea to bring back a T. rex, regardless as to how much I'd love to see one in the flesh (so it's a good thing we can't clone one then...right?:() . The benefits of bringing them back? Well for recently extinct creatures like the Thylacine, pyrenean ibex and even the dodo (despite the fact that we don't have very good cloning material for it) it's relatively obvious considering that the ecosystems they inhabited are virtually the same since they lived there, and it would be highly beneficial to bring these creatures back. The mammoths though? They've been gone for thousands of years and the ecosystems they lived in aren't quite the same now. But according to the scientists that plan to clone them, the presence of mammoths in Siberia could help with maintaining the permaforst and containing the large quantities of methane gas under it. Note that this is a hypothesis so far, but not a very unlikely one, so certainly it would be worth it imo.

And yes, it would be super cool to see these creatures alive again.

15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    You. Can't. Bring. Back. A. T. Rex.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Nederlanders zijn de beste.

SuperWatto likes this.
  17. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

You're specifically talking about Ken Hamm's brand of "young-earth creationism", which alleges that the world is only six-thousand years old, and that dinosaurs either didn't really exist (God just has a warped sense of humor and wants to test our faith by putting random bones in the ground) or that Noah was a dick by not letting them on the Ark. (side note: young-earthers also believe that the K-T Boundary is actually fossilized silt deposits from a worldwide flood and not a layer of dust from the Cretaceous asteroid)

There are believers who understand that the earth is billions of years old and have accepted evolution as fact. They're the ones who understand the basic tenets of evolution and blend it with Abrahamic apologetics, i.e. as evolution is observable as fact, and if evolution is necessary for life to survive on planet Earth, then evolution was created by God in order for life to "be fruitful and multiply".

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My Christian relatives have the same "LOL wut?" reaction to young earth creationism that I have.

I think it is possible to reconcile a belief in God with a belief in evolution; that's just not where my mind goes when I hear someone describe him or herself as a "creationist."

19. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

Yeah, whenever someone starts with the "young-earth" crap, I just remind them that even if the book of Genesis is 100% literal and accurate, human evolution still has to happen to get from Adam and Eve to the kind of diversity among humans we have today.

20. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    You can dream, though.

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    This is genius

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's the story of us.