main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Deep (BBC One)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    First of a 5 part underwater thriller drama with Minnie (now perhaps to be re-named submarine) Driver, James Nesbitt & Goran Visnjic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tc8r5

I enjoyed the first episode. Good special effects and a decent cast of actors. I can see why critics have said it is a bit slow, but I found it compelling despite that. It will be interesting to see what happens next week.

Did anyone else watch the show?

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    A touch farcical and with having a diving background I was looking at the large submarine and some of the situations e.g. the large stack falling on the sub just envisaging the implosion that I knew wasn't going to happen.

Suspend all believability though and it's quite good.

3. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    Just saw the first episode and I thought it was alright. I'll probably see the next episode. Also, I was amused at the mythological names of the vessels :).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Episode 2 wasn't too bad, at least it was revealed who is on the huge underwater vessel. Obviously there must be more to it than just oil drilling.

The cast continue to impress (as they would given the quality of the actors in the show), although I do feel it moves slowly.

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    It's 90 minutes stretched over five hour. And that's not just plot, that's the vast amount of time it takes each scene to pass.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I'm not sure it was meant to be 90mins, maybe two 90minute episodes or two hour long parts.

The show has suffered as a result of being stretched out, but apart from that I have found it not to be that bad. The acting cast are all good and the effects aren't too bad either. Yes it's pretty predictable and has some silly plot points (why send someone on a certain death mission in a tiny pod? Why not simply have a submersible robot that could survive the pressure and be remotely controlled?) done for "dramatic effect", but it's been quite well done for the mostpart.
    Minnie Driver (or maybe we should now call her Diver) does whine and cry an awful lot though. I will be pleased if a Giant Squid tunrs up at the end and kills her, but I don't hold out hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.