main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Definitive Thread to Rank All Star Wars Films (in terms of Your Favorite), TPM to TROS

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 28, 2019.

?

Which Film is Your Favorite?

1. Episode I: The Phantom Menace

11 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Episode II: Attack of the Clones

11 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

70 vote(s)
    23.9%
  4. Episode IV: A New Hope

41 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

92 vote(s)
    31.4%
  6. Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

30 vote(s)
    10.2%
  7. Episode VII: The Force Awakens

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

18 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker

4 vote(s)
    1.4%
  10. Rogue One / Solo

12 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    ROTS still maintains the top spot for me. Partially for nostalgic reasons, too I suppose. I don't think any movie will ever match the level of anticipation and excitement I experienced for that one-not to mention my enjoyment of the film itself.

I also must say I'm quite surprised to see here how many disliked TROS! I would've thought there'd be higher rankings for that one than the bottom few!

1. ROTS - An epic SW film-a tragic, pivotal turning point in the saga. Anakin's turn was believable to me, and I really felt how things in the story had now changed.
    2. ESB - Great story, great locales and visuals. Moving in many ways. When I imagine SW, images/scenes from this one are the first ones that come to my mind.
    3. TROS - YES, I loved this one! Don't hate me! Despite a few minor flaws, IMO there were many things to enjoy, and it ended off the saga in a satisfying way for me.
    4. Rogue One - Almost perfect! There are so many things to love. To me, it was truly "one for the fans." I love watching it back to back w/ANH.
    5. ROTJ - Great character development, Best lightsaber duel/space battle, with many moving moments. Only thing I disliked was the Ewoks, otherwise it would be higher.
    6. AOTC - Again, don't hate me! Loved mainly for the story, world building, and IMO any "cringeworthy" scenes are made up for by several awesome sequences.
    7. TFA - A great start to a new trilogy after so much time had passed. Great visuals, enjoyable story elements.
    8. ANH - The only reason I don't rank this higher is due to it's lack of scope. but the story is perfect, and in the Blu-ray/4K versions the visual/audio is amazingly improved.
    9. Solo - A great "character origin" story, and I would love to see more of this.
    10. TLJ - A well-made movie, but I had several issues with the story, mainly around character development.
    11. TPM - Not so bad, but slow moving. Some fun elements, and a great installment to introduce us to the state of things, but really doesn't stand well as a film on its own.

2. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Well . . . here we go:

1. Attack of the Clones
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Rogue One
    5. The Phantom Menace
    6. Solo
    7. A New Hope
    8. Return of the Jedi
    9. The Force Awakens
    10.The Last Jedi
    11. The Rise of Skywalker

The list is subject to change.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    No one is going to hate you. TROS is one of my favorites, although we shall see if it holds up over time.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    1. AOTC
    2. ANH
    3. ROTS
    4. ESB
    5. TPM
    6. ROTJ
    7. TROS
    8. R1
    9. TFA
    10. Solo
    11. TLJ

Darth Smurf, Delta-7, me327 and 4 others like this.
  5. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    The original trilogy will always reign supreme for me:
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ

Tier 2:
    4. R1
    5. TROS

The muddled middle (any of these 3 could go anywhere from 6-8 depending on how I feel on a given day):
    6. ROTS
    7. TLJ
    8. TFA

And the rest:
    9. Solo
    10. TPM
    11. AOTC

Sarge and Iron_lord like this.
  6. THE CHILD

THE CHILD Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 25, 2020
    All the movies that contain Yoda, I like. Order them I will not.

7. rocknroll41

rocknroll41 Jedi Master star 4

May 28, 2013
    GREAT
    1.Star Wars 1977
    2.The Empire Strikes Back

GOOD
    3.Return of the Jedi
    4.Solo

FINE
    5.The Force Awakens
    6.The Rise of Skywalker
    7.Revenge of the Sith
    8.The Phantom Menace
    9.Rogue One
    10.The Last Jedi

BAD
    11.Attack of the Clones

Sarge likes this.
  8. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    The Phantom Menace
    Return of the Jedi
    Attack of the Clones
    The Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Last Jedi
    The Force Awakens
    Revenge of the Sith
    Rogue One
    Rise of Skywalker
    Solo

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Deliveranze likes this.
  9. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    After 4 viewings of TROS, mine have slightly changed.

SW rankings:
    1. The Empire Strikes Back 10/10
    2. Rogue One 10/10
    3. Return Of The Jedi 10/10
    4. Revenge of the Sith 10/10
    5. Attack of the Clones 9/10
    6. A New Hope 9/10
    7. The Rise Of Skywalker 8/10
    8. The Phantom Menace 8/10
    9. The Force Awakens 7/10
    10. The Last Jedi 6/10
    11. Solo 5/10

10. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    So I've watch TROS a couple more times since I posted this and I also have engaged in mini-marathons for each trilogy. TROS has grown on me. TFA & TPM have dropped as they both feel very much out of place within their trilogies. As I stated before, the top 4 are locked in. The middle 4 depend on mood. 9 & 10 are there not for quality, but because of being outliers in their trilogies. Then AOTC just sucks.
    1) ESB
    2)TLJ
    3)RO
    4)ANH
    5-8) ROTJ
    5-8) ROTS
    5-8) TROS
    5-8) Solo
    9-10) TFA
    9-10)TPM
    11) AOTC

11. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I need to do another marathon now that I have TROS. I love checking out everyone’s list even if I disagree. It makes me question my thinking. Keep posting them!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Dream-Thinker and Dagobahsystem like this.
  12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Like the PT has for some, TROS definitely grows on people as time goes by. There is always an element of confirmation bias built into these lists.

13. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I do my best to be as objective as possible when it comes to rankings. This is not easy. I like all the movies. Obviously, some I like more than others, but just because one is ranked lower than another, does not mean I don't like the movie. Even with AOTC. Within the context of the Star Wars Saga, I think it sucks, but I still like the movie. This is also why I never score the movies #/10. TROS still has problems, but it's a fun movie to watch. It's grown on me more in how it feels within the context of the ST, that it has with movie quality.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  14. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020
    1. The Empire Strikes Back A+
    2. Star Wars A+
    3. Revenge of the Sith A-
    4. Rogue One B
    5. Attack of the Clones C-
    6. The Phantom Menace D
    7. The Force Awakens D
    8. Return of the Jedi F
    9. The Last Jedi F
    10. Solo F
    11. The Rise of Skywalker F

Delta-7 and Emperor Ferus like this.
  15. me327

me327 Jedi Padawan

Mar 6, 2017
    As a premise, I don't care about non-Lucas Star Wars movies at all. In my humble opinion the saga consists of 6 movies and I love them all. Here's my ranking:

1 - Revenge Of The Sith (the (dark) center of SW! + the best duel (tie with The Phantom Menace))
    2 - Attack Of The Clones (I Love a Mystery!)
    3 - A New Hope (adventure! + the freshest movie, being the first one)
    4 - The Empire Strikes Back (dreamy atmosphere!)
    5 - The Phantom Menace (the best chase scene + the best duel (tie with Revenge Of The Sith))
    6 - Return Of The Jedi (IMHO the least refined and the least attractive from a visual point of view)
    7-11 - The Disney movies (I wouldn't know how to rank them, sorry)

16. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    My ranking, in reverse order (for suspense):

11. The Phantom Menace - Has some great ideas and visuals, but everything's just so wooden. Painful to get through.

10. Attack of the Clones - An improvement on TPM, with comparatively snappier action and dialogue, but still badly acted and often dull.

9. Revenge of the Sith - Best of the prequels, but still tedious in a lot of places. Iconic moments fans were waiting for just don't land properly.

8. Rogue One - Hesitant to put this above the prequels as it lacks imagination, but the acting and direction are much better. No character development, thin plot and cringey fanservice hold it back.

7. The Force Awakens - Starts strong and the cast are fantastic, but unravels into a lukewarm clone of ANH.

6. The Rise of Skywalker - A hot mess of a film. Lots of bits I enjoyed (main characters adventuring together, humour, OT cast) and it gave me the feels in places, but also lots that I hated (Rey Palpatine, sidelining Rose, replacing Kylo as big bad).

5. Solo - Couldn't decide whether this or TRoS should come fifth, but ultimately went for Solo as it's more consistently fun. Not earth-shattering but enjoyable to watch.

4. The Last Jedi - The only film since 1983 to come close to the OT. Fun and intelligent with a strong focus on character, it's insane to me that it gets hated on so much.

3. A New Hope - The original and a bona fide classic. Doesn't do it for me in the same way its sequels do but the trench run climax is absolutely perfect.

2. Return of the Jedi - The rancor, the Sarlacc pit battle, the speeder bike chase, the Ewoks, the space battle - it's just so much glorious fun. The Luke/Vader/Palpatine confrontation is one of the most enthralling stories in cinema.

1. The Empire Strikes Back - Cliche but there's a reason it's regarded as one of the greatest sequels of all time. Adds great new characters to the Star Wars mythos, brilliantly expands on the themes of the first film and the character depth and internal conflict it adds are unparalleled in any blockbuster I've seen.

TLDR Version for Those Who Like Tiers

Awesome Tier: ANH, ESB, RotJ, TLJ
    Good Tier: Solo
    Mediocre Tier: TPM, AotC, RotS, TFA, R1
    So Insane I Don't Know Where It Belongs Tier: TRoS

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    My rankins.
    11. AOTC. It's a fun movie with romance and complex plot, but it's alos kinda boring with cringe dialogue and acting.
    10. Solo. It's a fun ride in the galaxy, dosen't do something new to the saga of movies is just fun aventure with Han solo.
    9. ROTJ. It's good movie with great acting and story with Luke and Vader. But it dosen't give mutch to characters such as Han, Leia and Lando and they seem quite forgetable in this movie. the hears is with Luke and Vader.
    8. Rogue One. It's a good movie with action scenes and war. Some of the characters are great but some are little boring aswell. The first is the best and could be better the 2 and 3 act is so mutch better. But it also focus little to mutch on fan nostalgia.
    7. TPM. This is good adventure movie with a jedi master and a padawan who must protect a qeen and meets a young slave boy who one day will become the chosen one. It's good movie with some weird aliens and some funny and not funny jokes. We get more into the force witch for me is always a plus. Acting is good and not too mutch CGI, i liked CGI Yoda better then the puppet of this movie.
    6. TFA. This movie is fun and eganging, great new characters that is up there with the best of them. Sure we have rehash of episode 4, but so has episode 1 if you look close enough. Lightsabers fights feel more real and lived in.
    5. ANH. This is where it all began it has special place in my heart. this was fun adventure with our hero Luke being a farmboy beginning the heroes journey. This was great for the times. But when you see them with a modern audience, you see the horrible light saber fight, some cringe lines and dialogue. and like the ST you see there was no plan as they kill of one of the main villains and Vader only lives if this get's a sequel.
    4. TROS. This movie is a funny mess with pacing, but it's still and and ejoyable. We get more lore in this with the sith and even though it wasen't planned i loved Palpatine's return and how they used and him being Rey's grandfather/clone father. I loved seeing new force powes and how they the force and force ghost to finally take down the last true sith lord and the their reign. Aslo Leia is the other one master Yoda spoke of, she fullfills that role with training Rey to become a jedi.
    3. ESB. This is regarded as the best Sar Wars movie for all time and wih good reason. The reveal of Darth Vader Being Luke's father Anakin Skywalker. Master Yoda and the training and more talk about how the force works. But it also does something that goes against it, like the relationship between Han and Leia's relationship and Leia kissing her twin brother Luke that was not planned kinda like the ST. And the chase scenes in the move wre little boring. We find out that Vader has a sith master.
    2. ROTS. This is the end of an era for the galactic republic and for star wars fans as we see how Anakin turns from this good young jedi knight to the tall dark lord of the sith. We see Palpatine manipulate young Skywaler and he dreams of his wife's death. We see him and Kenobi being more closer then they were in AOTC. It has a tragic ending for Anakin and the jedi order. One of the failings of the movie is Dooku being barely in it and Grevious as this cyborg general. It also has one of the best and silliest lightsaber fights.
    1. TLJ. This for me is the best movie in the entire Saga and a masterpiece of a movie. We see Luke being this broken down old hermit who like the jedi of old didn't learn from the failures and mistakes. He like them let his hubris and status as algend guile him. And he failed both Ben and the jedi order. Leia then takes over for him as the jedi master in next move. Yoda camo was gold and Luke in the end becmae the legend. Rey and Ben part away. Kylo becomes the new leader of the first order.

18. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    There’s something to enjoy in every Star Wars movie. I have my perennial favourites, but I think that many of these movies could swap places according to my mood.

1. Return of the Jedi
    2. The Empire Strikes Back
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. A New Hope
    5. Rogue One
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. The Phantom Menace
    10. The Rise of Skywalker
    11. Solo

19. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    1. ESB
    2. ANH
    3. R1
    4. ROTS
    5. TLJ
    6. TROS
    7. TFA
    8. ROTJ
    9. SOLO
    10. AOTC
    11. TPM

Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  20. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Update with Letter Grades:

1. ROTS (A+)
    2. TLJ (A)
    3. ESB (A)
    4. ANH (A-)
    5. SOLO (B+)
    6. ROTJ (B)
    7. TFA (B- )
    8. AOTC (B- )
    9. TPM (C)
    10. RO (D+)
    11. TROS (F-)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Looks like I never provided my updated list after seeing TROS. It’s in my signature but for context, I look for:

Fun, engaging characters
    World building
    On-point sociopolitical commentary
    Ending the movie either satisfied or really curious about what happens next, or both

With that said here goes, with rankings and grades.

1. Return of the Jedi 10/10 A . I even liked the Ewoks.

2. Empire Strikes Back 9/10 A. The bad Han/Leia scene in the Falcon, and Luke being whiny, knocks it down a point, otherwise near perfect movie.

3. A New Hope 9/10 A . The one that started it all. Might be forgettable as a stand-alone though.

4. Rogue One 9/10 A . I only wish Jyn could have escaped and become an Alliance fighter but I understand why that didn’t happen.

5. Attack of the Clones 7/10 B . Political commentary was spot on with how Palpatine consolidated more power. Anakin’s downhill slide starting with killing the Tuskens, as well as Anakin’s fun scenes, were great. Making him less whiny and changing the cringeworthy dialogue would have given the movie more points.

6. The Phantom Menace 7/10 B. Again, political commentary was spot on with Palpatine’s manipulating his own rise to power. Padme was badass. I love Qui-Gon Jinn. “Anakin Skywalker, meet Obi-Wan Kenobi” gave me goosebumps. Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman both needed someone who was more skilled at working with child actors, and Obi-Wan was a bit obnoxious for my taste, but otherwise perfect.

7. The Force Awakens 7/10 B. I loved Rey, Finn and Poe. I loved seeing Han and Leia again. I loved Lor San Tekka. The scenes in Max’s Castle and on SKB were great. This movie was good at getting me curious about what would happen next, particularly Finn coming out of his stormtrooper past and Rey getting trained as a Jedi.

8. The Rise of Skywalker 6/10 B-. It had some great scenes, including Chewie’s reaction to Leia’s death, and Lando’s reappearance. And Han’s scene with the redeemed Ben was one of the best in the saga. But Finn was done wrong, and Rey was terrible.

9. Solo 5/10 C. Definitely didn’t hate it, I enjoyed seeing Han and Lando’s background, but I did not like Chewie’s origins and Qi’ra drove me nuts.

10. Revenge of the Sith 3/10 D. First 45 minutes were great. More Anakin and Obi-Wan banter than anywhere outside TCW. But Anakin left his brain behind on The Invisible Hand, and Padme apparently left her spine at one of her med droid checkups. Ending was good though.

11. The Last Jedi 3/10 D. Loved Luke’s Crait speech, liked some of the lines (“OK, that’s pretty much nowhere”), liked the anti-war-profiteering commentary on Canto Blight, hated the rest. The movie that ruined Rey for me.

22. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020
    I can’t say I agree with this, considering that it became such a global phenomenon as a stand-alone movie.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You might be right. My interest accelerated with ESB and after the trilogy finished though.

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I am not sure I agree with that. But I think with Rey there are no middle ground for her. You either loved her or hated her.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Arwen Sith and Sarge like this.
  25. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    1. TESB
    2. ANH
    3. ROTJ
    4. TLJ
    5. ROTS
    6. TROS
    7. AOTC