main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Demotion of Strilo

Discussion in 'Communications' started by ObiWan506, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    So to summarize in an overly simplistic manner:

1. There was a failure to "reel" Strilo in. The failure was compounded for years

2. The failure has been corrected by his demotion

3. The demotion process was bungled

4. The bungling continued.

5. Despite the bungling, it stands. If it were math it would look like this:

Lack of action + Bungled Action/sorry it was so bungled= You're still demoted.

=D=

2. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Strilo, moderators aren't treated like problem users. We don't look at mods and say, "well, he hasn't been performing up to moderator expectations, I think he needs a ban." While there's something to be said for someone who's been a moderator here for 7 years, the position is still a privilege, not a right. Being a moderator on this site is a volunteer position that requires a certain level of team work and cohesiveness with the rest of the leadership. We didn't feel we were getting that from you, and it was apparent that previous admins felt the same way. The fact that they never acted on it doesn't mean it wasn't a problem. I'm sorry for the way it happened, but the admins believed it was time for you to go, and the majority of the mods agreed in our lengthy discussion.

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    now someone says (in 18 paragraph form) that it's not the why, but the how it was handled.

And we make another lap!

4. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    You failed to consider a few other points:

1) Hindsight is 20/20
    2) Maybe sometimes there just is no easy or clean way to do something, especially when dealing with emotional beings.

There is never a clean answer that will make everyone happy, so some people are going to be upset. The Administration can't let disagreement stand in the way of action, no matter what the issue is - they need to have confidence enough in their authority and their conviction that the decision is the correct one.

In the few demotions and/or bannings of 'celebrity' users that I had to deal with, I can tell you they all looked something like this. The fact taht it is so messy and difficult is not a reflection on the person being removed or the administration, it's just the way of things.

Now, I have no insight into anything that happened, nor do I really care. I'm not here to judge anyone, just to provide my perspective on the silly notion that there's some way the administration could have handled this (or any other banning/demotion) that would have left everyone smiling and confident that it was handled beautifully.

Also, I'd just like to respond to this:

If that person is causing major problems due to his/her obnoxious behavior and ultimately cripples the rest of the team in some fashion, and they do not respond to corrective actions, you most certainly do removed them from the team. Failure to do so is absolutely foolish. Asking people to put up with rude, counter-productive behavior because that person simply won't be changed is bad leadership. You don't put up with it, you correct it - either through changing the person's attitude, or removing them. Allowing a festering cancer to exist simply because its removal would be 'messy' is an act of cowardice.

Anything that must be done eventually should be done immediately. You just have to have the courage and leadership to do it.

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    So Vertical, just out of curiosity... what is your take on the head admin having himself banned for getting nasty / rude in a PM?

6. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    At Strilo's request, this thread is being locked. The policy issues brought up in this thread are being discussed in MS, and will be announced here in Comms in separate threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.