main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Development Of The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Except it is not similar. In virtually every way that matters.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
  2. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    And they still walked themselves into even deeper quicksand.

I think conventional wisdom would say that, if you have a time crunch to produce multiple movies in Hollywood, then you put together a team to handle the story and general production of those movies. Lord Of The Rings was, in effect, one long single production. Multiple trilogies were forged out of single release movies by having their second and third films created at one time. And once the Russo brothers were hired on for the pair of Avengers finales, they worked on it as one single assignement.

LFL could have, and probably should have, done that. Especially once they decided to abandon Lucas’s early ideas almost entirely, save for the female heroine and at least one Skywalker grandkid. His early work could have at least been the skeleton for them to build on, and if you were going to ditch it, it feels idiotic to not have something deep enough to act as a skeleton in this place.

...Unless TLJ reflects what they saw the core sekeleton as being - the story of Kylo Ren.

But that would still be pretty stupid. You don’t construct a trilogy around just the villain, at least not if your main hero and lead star is most definitely supposed to be someone totally different.

And this kind of shines a different light in Abrams being hired first and then Johnson. It makes one wonder if Johnson was given such a free hand out of a feeling he was doing the “real” work, while Abrams had been hired for the time crunch, predominantly.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2019
  3. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002
    I hesitate because, at this point, not much new can be said; we've discussed this from almost every angle. And so, with apologies...

Both the OT and the PT featured overarching storylines that ran through the respective trilogies. While Lucas may have had no reason to expect, with much confidence, that there'd ever be a sequel to ANH, the movie ended with a number of plot threads that could be taken up - and many were, with others added, in ESB. And ESB upped that ante. In other words, the OT formed a coherent overall arc, of raising the stakes, heightening conflict, developing characters, and increasing audience anticipation.

In many ways, the PT did the same, even though, interestingly, most of us knew "where it was going" (most obviously, we KNEW Anakin had to fall, and become Vader) . The three prequel movies form a coherent arc, developing the core characters and conflicts, leading to a very high stakes, high interest ROTS.

I think one major issue is that TLJ takes almost all the threads from TFA and either concludes them, or discards them as irrelevant. Very little builds. Kylo is no more formidable at the end of TLJ than he was before, despite now ostensibly being in charge. The seeming "next level threat" of Snoke? Resolved. Phasma? Apparently done. Finn, Poe, Rey? Well, they're Finn, Poe and Rey. We're not left eagerly anticipating anything. The Luke-Vader rematch after ESB? The Kenobi-Vader clash after AOTC? What does TLJ leave us anticipating, hungry for?

It's a very very odd trilogy. Of course, some series aren't built that way, but they're less trilogies than series. The Bond movies, for example, or even some of the superhero series, don't have a truly solid "overarching story" behind them. But that's an odd departure for Star Wars, where the "bigger story" has always been a feature.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I feel like TLJ’s production schedule, starting pre-production and script-writing before TFA was released, prevented Rian Johnson from ever really seeing how TFA’s impact on the audience would go down; when the film released, he’d already written 95% of what would be in TLJ, and by then just didn’t have any compulsion on his part tpmfollow up on the deepest emotional hits that TFS had succeeded in making.

A lot of his script and story makes sense as the reaction that he would have to TFA’s script, devoid of music, performances, or the improvisations and emotional through-lines Abrams managed to inject into the story with the reshoots when it comes to the release.

His vision of Kylo definitely seems to have more influence from the original script version with his slightly different pseudo-affable behaviour during the interrogation, before Abrams embraced the creepiness. He seems to view Finn almost entirely as the unneeded red herring that he was functionally in the script, minus Boyega’s charisma injecting real power into his role as the *actual* male lead. And just his general “sure, you’ve done that, but what if we did this instead?” approach to a lot of the characters’ arcs and questions are more likely to occur if he hasn’t seen just how many people exited the theater talking about Finn an Rey in glowing terms, and really loving to hate Kylo, or how enthusiastic they would be about Rey being Related.

He wrote a sequel to a “book” he read before it was released as a movie.

...And overall, I just don’t think he was planning about what kinds of things the next film in the Saga would need, on an emotional and dramatic level.

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    2Cleva, Zikri, Jedi_Fenrir767 and 2 others like this.
  6. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That was a good read!

TFS = The Force Sleeps? :p

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  7. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Hoo boy. It was not Rian Johnson's responsibility to write or adjust TLJ based upon how audiences eventually reacted to TFA. He wrote TLJ based upon his own response to TFA and his perception of the existing saga. And that response is not solely a reaction to a script. He watched dailies throughout the production of TFA, and I'm sure he also got to see cuts of the film as post production occurred.

8. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Terrio talks about the ST being thesis-antithesis—synthesis. So maybe TROS will have the story arc coherently revealed.

9. DarthVist

DarthVist Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2019
    Was George Lucas going to have Han Solo killed off in his sequel trilogy? That's something that I have always wondered about his original story for the sequel trilogy. According to Mark Hamill, Luke Skywalker was originally going to die at the end of George Lucas's Episode IX. So George Lucas was planning to have Luke die in his sequel trilogy, so I wonder if he also was planning to kill off Han Solo too.

10. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    It wouldn’t have surprised me. Kasdan and Ford wanted Han to die in VI. And maybe ford didn’t want to be in 3 more movies.

Having said that, if Lucas had done these 3 movies sans Disney as creator, showrunner, executive producer and story, people would still complain, albeit for different reasons. Even so, Disney sans Lucas still doesn’t feel right to me.

Zikri and indydefense like this.
  11. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    TROS SPOILERS!!!!!!!!

Do you think Palpatine having a lover came from Lucas's treatment for that underworld show? I remember something about how it revealed the love life of Sheev or something like that...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2019
    Zikri likes this.
  12. Blame_It_On_Lucas

Blame_It_On_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 29, 2004
    Tell you what though. If Disney had taken the story treatments Lucas had and actually took the time to let JJ and/or Rian Johnson adapt or refine the story we may have gotten a really rich trilogy. George conceptually speaking has great ideas.

13. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Right. I love the PT. And it wasn’t the train wreck some may falsely portray it to have been, and it’s gotten more love over the years. That said, there are people who love SW and don’t like the PT. Their reason is that GL may have great ideas, but they don’t like his writing and directing actors.

With The Clone Wars we got Lucas as creator and showrunner. He wasn’t a silent partner. But Filoni had no small roll in the direction and realization. And Lucas hired writers.

If Lucas had been showrunner or at least had done the job he was hired to do as creative consultant, and Disney had taken its time, who knows what may have happened. With GL in charge the release dates would have been 2015, 2018, and 2021. That’s one reason Lucas didn’t do the ST himself. He’d be nearly 80. But also he was tired of the hate.

Count Yubnub and Zikri like this.
  14. ewoksimon

Oct 26, 2009
    Ok, here's a fair critique of the scheduling of this trilogy: Abrams only had one year of preproduction on both of his films and Johnson had nearly two. It shows.

TFA: Abrams hired January 2013, principal photography began May 2014.
    TLJ: Johnson hired June 2014, principal photography began February 2016.
    TROS: Abrams hired September 2017, principal photography began August 2018.

15. DarthVist

Mar 20, 2019
    Here's something that George Lucas said about his sequel trilogy.

“[The next three Star Wars films] were going to get into a microbiotic world. But there’s this world of creatures that operate different than we do. I call them the Whills. And the Whills are the ones who actually control the universe. They feed off the Force.”

“Back in the day, I used to say ultimately what this means is we were just cars, vehicles, for the Whills to travel around in…We’re vessels for them. And the conduit is the midi-chlorians. The midi-chlorians are the ones that communicate with the Whills. The Whills, in a general sense, they are the Force.”

“All the way back to – with the Force and the Jedi and everything – the whole concept of how things happen was laid out completely from [the beginning] to the end. But I never got to finish. I never got to tell people about it. If I held onto the company, I could have done it, and then it would have been done. Of course, a lot of the fans would have hated it, just like they did Phantom Menace and everything, but at least the whole story from beginning to end would be told.”

So what do you fans think of the concept? I personally think it sounds interesting.

I wonder what role the Whills would've played in his sequel trilogy, like were all of them going to be good or evil or were some of them good and some of them evil?

I also wonder how powerful they were going to be, like were they going to be "god-like" in the Star Wars universe?

Count Yubnub likes this.
  16. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Right now, I don't know if Disney have the right writers to make this storyline happen.

I don't think that extra year helped Johnson at all.

17. MaverickJedi85

MaverickJedi85 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2019
    JJ should have written the main treatment of the whole "3 parts story" even before the pre-production of TFA. We'll never know why on earth Disney and KK's Lucasfilm opted to write the trilogy "one film at a time". TLJ was like a big cruiser stranded in the middle of the ocean, and while it has finally reached destination with TROS, damage has been done and a lot of customers are unhappy.

18. MaverickJedi85

Dec 16, 2019
    I suspect many ideas and plot points of TROS are Lucas'.

19. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    JJ did write them according to various sources (and created backstories for various characters including Snoke and Rey). The problem is Rian Johnson either didn't know about them or was given permission to ignore them entirely. The execs at LFL actively shot down any attempt at creating a roadmap for the sequels. First with Lucas's treatments then with JJ's.

It depends entirely on the execution. The entire Yoda Arc in Clone Wars Lost Missions did a lot of similar things explaining the Cosmic Force and the Living Force, showing us the Force planet, further explaining midichlorians and introducing the Force Priestesses. And it was all well done (unlike say people's beef with TPM).

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  20. MaverickJedi85

Dec 16, 2019
    Then it was a stupid executive decision and it shows in the final product. JJ truly fixed a sinking ship with TROS.

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  21. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Late to discover this thread, and haven't read all 102 pages, so apologies if this has been discussed, but --

I've heard the original GL treatment of Ep. 7 described this way:

(thanks to @indydefense in the Ep. 9 Box Office thread)

So, two questions:

1. If many people who didn't like TLJ mostly didn't like the portrayal of "grumpy/depressed" Luke, why is there this pervasive belief that if LFL had only used GL's treatment for the ST, everything would've been ok? (i.e., it sounds to me like Luke is grumpy and depressed in GL's treatment, too)

2. One thing that Pixar does insanely well is develop the stories of their films. They have a very rigorous process to workshop characters, dialog, plot, structure, etc. -- takes them forever but their home run rate is like 95%. Given that LFL and Pixar are corporate cousins, anybody else think it would've been a good idea to get the Pixar story development process transplanted into LFL in some way? (I'm not saying Star Wars should be "Pixar-fied", just that the process Pixar uses to develop stories might have been useful when developing the ST)

22. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    From what I can gather, the difference with Lucas's outlines is that Luke goes into exile during a time of peace. The emergence of a new threat is what helps him (relucatantly) come out of exile. I imagine it would've been similar to how Picard convinced Kirk to leave the Nexus in Star Trek Generations.

23. DarthVist

Mar 20, 2019
    It's never been confirmed by George Lucas himself if the hermit Luke was his idea or not since the people at Lucasfilm and Disney are saying that and not Lucas himself. The people at Disney and Lucasfilm also said that George Lucas's sequel trilogy would have involved around teenagers, but Lucas himself said that the characters were in their early 20s and were not teenagers. So I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of Disney and Lucasfilm's mouth when it comes to what George Lucas's ideas were for the sequel trilogy.

24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    He is not credited anywhere, so I suspect nothing in TROS is Lucas' actually.
    I don't see how Lucas would have brought back Palpatine.

As for the myth about the "Colonel Kurtz" figure that Luke would be, that's just a one liner from a person who drew some concept art. I do not trust this source even for one second, and I seriously doubt that Lucas would have deconstructed Luke in any possible way. If he was a hermit, he could have been a hermit who had unlocked all the secrets of The Force and was at a much higher intellectual level than any other being or something like that. We will never know. Assumptions are free to make, but they don't hold a lot of weight.

Abrams had 16 months for TFA according to this and RJ had 20 months for TLJ. That's not such a dramatic difference. I am also baffled by how it shows that Abrams had less time.

25. MaverickJedi85

Dec 16, 2019
    Of course he's not credited. But stuff like the wayfinders, the dagger, etc, smell of Lucas. Some of his ideas for TFA were about some ancient sith artifact that was a threat if used by the wrong hands, or something like that. TROS feels like a Lucas SW movie anyway, somewhere between ROTJ and ROTS.

Iron_lord likes this.