main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Development Of The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DarthAhem

DarthAhem Jedi Master star 1

May 6, 2014
    Me: “George, I love you and thank you for all you’ve done.”

Also Me: “Thank God this didn’t get made.”

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Bcs very few, including Lucas while he was still in charge would spend a billion dollars producing & marketing a trilogy of films about wacky stuff like this. Guess he was hope Disney would bankroll it.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  3. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    More context to those quotes.
    [​IMG]

4. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    There seems to be a small hint of regret when you read that, like his wishes he had told the full story himself. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure a much bigger part of him is relieved to have moved on, but reading this it just seemed like a story he would like to have told.

I wonder if for the 50th he might consider doing a one off film to tell the story? Maybe as an animation, let Filoni direct and he could just write and executive produce or maybe co-direct. By doing animation he could use Luke (voiced by Mark Hamill), Leia and Han (maybe even get Harrison back), it could be the last adventure of the big 3 before the ST.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    The planet's going to look like Mars, but it'll be OK? LOL. Thanks, George, for the inspiring words.

6. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly.

It'd be like saying TPM was about the midi-chlorians. It's one element of underpinning.

Yeah if he was going to finally get into the Whills then at some point things like the Yoda arc would be in play but not without sufficient build. More likely once VII had set things up then VIII would start to get into it with probably the Force Ghost trio involved at some point.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  7. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He said "The next three movies were going to get into a microbiotic world". That hardly implies a passing mention of something like the midis in TPM.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Sure and what that really means is getting into the Force. The midi-chlorians and their philosophy are the basis of Star Wars in terms of living being relationship to the Force but we don't necessarily think of it that way.

So now he was going to do even deeper.

9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It really means what he really says. Getting into the microbiotic world & focusing on microscopic creatures that feed on the Force, speak to midis & control the universe.

10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I really hope we find out more about this one day. I really think it would have been very much in the background, though. Will be interesting to see if anything like this turns up in Episode 9 (I'm sure it won't). Maybe Luke will give the Whills a mention or something.

11. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Yes along with a new era of characters and designs, the OT trio, Anakin and Padme's grandchildren, a Jedi killer etc etc. So in live action movies something that as best we can say now would be somewhat akin to the Mortis and Yoda arcs to some degree or other which of course means strong characters, relationships, good vs evil and fantastic action.

jedi-soon and KSennia like this.
  12. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I still think this whole idea would be on the peripheral, though. I don't think it would have taken up much of the ST.

13. BlurryUFOs

BlurryUFOs Jedi Master star 3

Sep 24, 2016
    yous keep drinking that haterade. i never understood the problem with midichlorians because the details are half of not 3 quarters of the fun. the SW universe on a microbiotic scale yes pls!!!

jedi-soon and KSennia like this.
  14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Maybe someone will accidentally sneeze one of them out.
    If it's these Force eating microscopic creatures who control the universe then who cares about the macro characters? I'd hope that he'd keep the focus on the real players in the story.

15. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    I love George, but I'll stick with the ST we have.

16. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    It would be part of the journey. The story will still focus on the new characters and events. There would have been some build up before their appearance for it to make sense so I don't see he planed them for VII, more like VIII or IX, with him leaving some clues to the end game in previous episodes.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  17. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Typical. We know a bunch of elements of his ST, many of which made it into one form or another into the one they made, but when he says something really intriguing that we can only barely imagine what it might mean then it's somehow license to imagine that it would somehow completely abandon everything that he did over his previous six movies (even though we know that is factually not the case).

I'd drop this Requel Trilogy (that doesn't even work together as one anyway) in second for the actual ST. One that actually ties into Episodes I-VI.

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I think people are taking 'microbiotic' way too literally.

jedi-soon, KSennia, Oryx-I and 8 others like this.
  19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Ok.

dogprivilege likes this.
  20. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It has only one meaning. Like when Qui-Gon said "microscopic lifeforms" in TPM he meant microscopic lifeforms. Regrettably it wasn't a metaphor.
    Yeah I get it but it still sounds bonkers. If we think TLJ caused a backlash that'd be child's play compared to this stuff.
    Getting back to the development of the ST. IMO the narrative should change from "nasty Disney stabbed Lucas in the back & threw out his ideas" to "Disney showed incredible grace & respect to indulge George, hiring an Oscar winning writer & spending months trying to develop his kooky ST ideas into a working script". Only then veering away from it when it didn't come together.

Jolee Bindo likes this.
  21. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Feb 26, 2014
    Either way....

22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Nothing regrettable about it. If anything it's exactly the point. If Lucas in the PT simply does exactly the same thing with the midi-chlorians (which in the end was next to nothing) but calls them "sparks" of Force energy and takes away the "scientific" terminology then all is well. "Anakin has the highest concentration of Force Sparks I've ever seen." then I think for many of those who didn't want to get the midi-chlorians (and still to this day think they are the Force!) would be fine with a "mystical" explanation.

Throw out the scientific term and concentrate on the Force and the Whills/Will of the Force.

So typical Lucas Star Wars then!

Inconceivable to us until he tells the story. No different that from the very beginning.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  23. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Not if everything is explained in the movies or at least enough so people can speculate about their meaning like with anything else. If you watched the Mortis and Yoda arcs which dealt with some heavy stuff, I think those are more accurate depiction of what he meant and what he mentioned about the Whills seems to be a continuation of those arcs in particular, given his heavy involvement, it definitively wouldn't surprise me.
    GL stated as much in this same interview and considering his past experience, he's not entirely wrong.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Possibly but in an entirely different way as Lucas' trilogy would have had the actual Luke Skywalker in it plus the "Rey" figure would have undergone Jedi training from Luke.

I also very much doubt Lucas' story was based on overwriting the stories he already told but an actual continuation.

25. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Your explanation is at odds with what Lucas says. That is "getting into the microbiotic world". Being a Lucas fan I don't blame you for trying to water this down to the point of it being a passing mention in his story, but there's no way you could get that implication from what he said.