main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Development Of The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, it’s textbook.

Jedi_Fenrir767 and Glitterstimm like this.
  2. JohnWilliamsSonoma

JohnWilliamsSonoma Force Ghost star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    No he isn't. There's a whole theme that runs through TLJ of the truth about the past coming to the fore and the major players accepting it and moving on. Rey's whole journey in the movie is about facing this truth and freeing herself of the burden of being unloved/rejected and looking for acceptance in others (like Han, Luke, Kylo). The fact that Kylo Ren is the one to coax this out of her is honestly irrelevant. It's the entire text of the movie... Kylo understand this about her because he's been in her head more than once and has touched her through the force. It's the main reason he thinks she will be the one to turn .."I saw something too. That's why when the moment comes you'll be the one to turn."

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    OKAY, IN DISCUSSION WITH OTHER BOARD MODS, WE’RE CLOSING THIS THREAD FOR AN INDEFINITE (BUT HOPEFULLY TEMPORARY) PERIOD. ARGUMENTS ARE STRAYING A BIT TOO FAR AFIELD FROM CONCRETE “DEVELOPMENT” MATERIAL, AND BECOMING TOO CIRCULAR FOR THIS THREAD.

IF YOU HAVE SPECIFIC POINT TO MAKE ABOUT SPECIFIC CHARACTERS OR DETAILS, TAKE THEM TO THEIR APPROPRIATE THREADS; IF NOTHING ELSE IT SHOULD GET THIS WHOLE PLACE MORE ACTIVE THAN JUST THIS THREAD.

BUT KNOW THIS; WE NEED CIVILITY AND INTELLIGENCE IN THE FORUM. STAY PASSIONATE. STAY ELOQUENT. BUT BE A GOOD MEMBER OF THE COMMUNITY, OR YOU MAY NOT STAY A PART OF IT.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  4. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Larry Kasdan, the co-writer of ESB, ROTJ and TFA said he wrote a draft for Episode VIII. I wonder how it looked like.

5. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    When/where did he say that?

6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    He didn't. He was reluctant at it was to even do The Force Awakens. All he really wanted to do was Solo.

indydefense likes this.
  7. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    So I guess JJ said it.

Can we change the thread's title?

8. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Do you have a source on this that you can share?

The only thing I can find online regarding Kasdan and the then-untitled Episode VIII is him talking about Rian Johnson working on it. Nothing at all about him having ever been attached:
    https://www.slashfilm.com/lawrence-kasdan-star-wars-episode-8/

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    indydefense likes this.
  9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    RJ sure did make some weird thing .lol

10. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-8-9-jj-abrams-script/

11. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Ahh, I thought you meant that JJ had said something about Kasdan writing a draft/treatment for Episode VIII.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  12. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    He helped write TFA, and despite how great ESB is, i don’t expect it’d have been much better based on what they set up or failed to set up in TFA. But it can’t have been worse than what RJ gave us. We at least know the intention was not for Luke to switch off his Force button.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  13. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    FROM THE DEPTHS OF CLOSED THREADS, I RESURRECT THEE!

Now, stay on topic here for the actual development of the films, and it’ll stay open.

14. DarthKreVass

DarthKreVass Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 27, 2008
    Ya know, the episode "The Jedi" in The Mandalorian S2 kinda hinted at what Ashoka is doing. She's on that planet solving problems, as if she's a wanderer making a pit-stop to help others. At least it came across that way to me.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    Palp_Faction likes this.
  15. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    Post-ST development. KK said they were 10 years ahead in 2017.

If one looks at the films Abrams and Kasdan liked before and around TFA (2012-14), those KOR and Kylo look like the seven samurai. They were called 'the seven' in those early leaks, and Kurosawa's film was mentioned in interviews.

But that film sounds more Kasdan than JJ.

They also look like Boyega and his gang in Attack the Block.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And that film means JJ, and his discovery of Boyega (2011). Kasdan never mentioned Attack The Block, as far as I know.

Boyega's character in ATB was called Moses. Abrams is Jewish, and maybe that caught his attention. Or Kylo being some kind of chosen one (from his own POV) brough that idea to JJ's mind.

So maybe they are the link, from the development standpoint, between Finn (or Boyega-as- Moses) and Kylo.

But what about Finn himself? This would mean: what about post-ST Finn? Not ATB, or an nversion of it (KOR) I think, but a development. An enlargement.

That seems to be the point of FS Finn as a setup, and this idea that was -I think- always in JJ's mind (originally, both Rey and Finn experienced the forceback)

What development? If one combines Attack the Block with ep.IX Finn (both TROS and Trevorrow's Finn), we have some kind of uprising, one involving FS people. People like Jannah, ex-stormtroopers; people like Broom Boy. More 'Attack the City', or Attack the Planet' (Coruscant was both city and planet), than 'Attack the block'.

There was another film in 2014 that Abrams almost certainly saw. Planet of the Apes. Abrams and Matt Reeves are childhood friends and there's also the Andy Serkis connection. (I guess JJ saw the 2011 film too)

Now, Matt Reeves called Caesar 'ape Moses' once. He was talking about the third film, and not about the first, but the idea of Caesar as leader/savior was already there, since 1968.
    So,
    from this
    [​IMG]
    to this:
    [​IMG]
    is like
    [​IMG]
    and then
    [​IMG]
    Unless one follow the 1977-2019 continuity instead of the I-IX continuity. In that case, this would be post-ROTJ (post 1983) Anakin, and is already post-Kylo Ben:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Anakin didn't 'remember' who he was once:
    https://screenrant.com/star-wars-anakin-built-c3po-george-lucas-1977/
    So, maybe, this is post-2019 (Finn-as-Caesar>)Ben-as-Ani.
    [​IMG]
    Exegol Ben is speechless,just like Nova, whose name means, of course, 'New'.
    Children. The reversal (and undoing, thematically speaking), of this:
    [​IMG]
    and, by extension, of this
    [​IMG]
    Since the Rise of Skywalker is ('Rise, Rey')
    [​IMG]
    the reversal of this (Lord Vader, Rise')
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  16. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    And just for interest. The name Kylo, if originated from the root name 'Caelum" (KAY Lum) means "Sky" or "Stars from heaven".

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So Kylo is in heaven now?

18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I didn’t say that. Just adding where the name might conceptually originated from and its meaning.

19. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    I think it’s more likely simply to be a combo of “sKYwalker” and “soLO.”

20. sian1965

sian1965 Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 26, 2020
    To be honest after TROS I don't think there was anything 'deep' in the ST. I did at first, but TROS was such a poorly made film I came to the conclusion it's sole purpose was to erase the Skywalkers and replace them with JJ's characters.

Nom von Anor and Vinylshadow like this.
  21. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The ST was way too rushed for there to be anything ‘deep’ built into it... certainly in a substantial way. Indeed, I find the ST totally lacking in its philosophical outlook generally, and conceptually the ideas are not mature.

Vinylshadow likes this.
  22. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    There was no passion really other than to make SW films that would re-connect with an audience who didn't like the prequels. It was a purely commercial and cynical venture and a wasted opportunity. There were some great moments and I feel that Rian really gave his all to make a SW film that he wanted to make, but overall the films were made to get butts on seats. No vision, no direction and no world-building. Giving directors free reign and take the story in whatever direction they wanted is not how to make a concise trilogy and certainly not how to conclude a 9 part saga. It needed very careful planning.

23. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    From another thread:
    In ANH Boshek was the astronaut (or an astronaut), and Jabba was Big Toad I guess.
    In any case, they're nowhere to be seen in TFA, or at least not easily (the clan leader was s KOR according to the credits. That KOR was invisible in the film)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  24. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    Rey and Leia

25. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think Abrams had a vision and was genuinely passionate about the project, it’s just that he still aligned perfectly with the corporate wish to distance everything from the prequels and go the OT theme park route instead.