main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Development Of The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    They could have done both Star Wars Skywalker saga stories and other Star Wars stories. It didn’t need to be just one or the other. In fact, I thought that was supposed to be their original plan: that some of the films would be a part of the Skywalker family story, including at least one new GOOD skywalker character to follow into the future, and other films set in the Star Wars galaxy , but with completely different characters and settings.

And if they would have continued the story that Lucas started with the PT and the OT instead of rebooting what came before, they could have created many new characters that could have branched off into new parts of the galaxy and completely new stories, by using some of the new Jedi knights that Luke SHOULD have successfully trained and that should NOT have been killed off in a new purge as the filmmakers had happen offscreen before the ST even began. Or, the filmmakers could have created other totally new characters from space pirates to explorers to bounty hunters to GFFA scientists to mobile doctors in space traveling from crisis to crisis. The possibilities were endless, and they instead chose to tell pretty much the same story that George Lucas told in an inferior way and with inferior characters, making the galaxy seem smaller instead of larger at the same time.

It would have been so much better to have both all new stories with all new unrelated characters, while also continuing the Skywalker family story with a new generation of good Skywalkers. There would have been something for everyone.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I dunno whether they needed to go any further than a 3rd generation for the skywalkers. it might have gone abit far jumping ahead for a 4th. but the saga should have been for the skywalkers. other films could focus on other characters.

Count Yubnub and godisawesome like this.
  3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Treating them as an asset you can deploy whenever you have a good idea, but don’t need to make your bread and butter, would have been the best move.

Rogue One works as a proof of concept you don’t need the Skywalkers as heroes, but the drop-off once TLJ revealed the Saga film didn’t have a Skywalker main character (and LFL’s own devotion to Kylo in turn) shows why they have value.

Shadao, Count Yubnub, 2Cleva and 3 others like this.
  4. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    I agree I think the third generation should have ended the 'Skywalker' saga you could still have had the 'Skywalkers' in other films it would be interesting to see them just be a regular family and Jedi and then may start a new 'saga' for them sometime in the future a few generations later.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Episode IX: The Last Skywalker

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. ScreamingWoman2019

ScreamingWoman2019 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2018
    https://collider.com/star-wars-9-jj-abrams-george-lucas-midichlorians/
    https://web.archive.org/web/19991103105353/http://www.eonline.com/News/More/lucas5.html
    Mitochondria are inherited through the mother, at least in humans. Something seems to be off with the Palpatine-son/clone-Rey lineage (but not with Anakin-Leia-Ben) If Dagobah Vader was also Luke under that mask, who is Dark Rey? She quotes Leia's 'don't be afraid' line.

Also, from the same 1999 interview (or press conference):
    Spartacus/Skywalker. The rise of Spartacus. But everyone was Spartacus at the end of Kubrick's film. Everyone was Skywalker.

According to Lucas c.1975-76, the first jedi descended from the -'holy man named Skywalker'. They were his grandchildren.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Pablo Hidalgo
    We speculated about this for a while but think this is the first time he's not vaguely saying or avoiding to confirm about whether Thea and Skyler
    were related when GL gave his treatments to Disney.

8. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Is this brand new, or is it from a while back?

I remember him mentioning the names before, but not right after an earlier quote that clearly implies Thea, the Rey counterpart, was another Solo kid. That was always the inference from leaks and what little they confirmed about earlier script drafts, but something clearly didn’t want to say outright or make explicit for a loooooooong time.

I’d still love to get some interviews about at what point Rey not being related became a firm conviction among LFL’s members. Was it Abrams once he introduced the mysterious heritage angle for Rey? Was it LFL reacting to the mysterious heritage angle? Was it primarily a Rian Johnson idea? The second idea seems most plausible to me given those earlier, carefully selected quotes from right before Johnson was hired:

- I think Abrams was more likely to either keep enthusiastically insisting he shouldn’t know the answer because that was the next person’s job, or truthfully think it was like Khan in STID and should be the obvious Skywalker answer.

- I think LFL echo-chambering themselves into Rey Random meaning something before hiring Johnson makes sense with those selected quotes… and because Johnson didn’t actually write TLJ to give Rey Random much actual meaning like LFL thought it would.

Johnson’s apathy towards Rey as a character would make a lot of sense if LFL was excited about an option to the mystery that was boring in substance but exciting to someone valuing surprise and shock more - which would be reflected in TLJ itself and in Johnson’s interviews never really covering the supposedly inspiring message that LFL the slaves extolled.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Hadn't thought about this thread - scanned through some early posts and a few things still stick out to me. Not really trying to debate - just observations.

1 - Mark Hamill sounded the alarm bells early.
    2 - Disney really tried to blame everything on George Lucas. The audacity.
    3 - This is bigger than SW but it's *interesting* the response when others see a representation/image/message problem.

10. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    @godisawesome
    It's from a recent Twitter thread

Don't forget they also played with making her a Kenobi at some point according to Daisy Ridley. I personally didn't have any issue with Rey Random as a concept but if that was the answer given at the end of the second movie of the trilogy, then they should have committed to this rather than this back-and-forth we ended up with.

Def Trooper and godisawesome like this.
  11. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    'Generational offspring the filmmakers went with' can also mean Lando. The Skylar>Kylo-Finn thing.

12. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I still think it was some time in late 2017 - early 2018, after Fisher died, making Rey Solo/Skywalker trickier. I suspect this played a part in Trevorrow leaving.

alwayslurking likes this.
  13. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    In Trevorrow's Duel of the Fates draft Kylo killed Rey's parents when he was a child alongside the Knights of Ren and under Snoke's orders. Her real name was Rey Solana, a mix between Solo and Organa, but otherwise still made her a nobody. It could have changed during development but we'll never know how since they replaced him with JJ.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  14. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    There are alot of people who, or some reason wanted Rey to be a nobody. for whatever reason there is this belief that after the PT that Star Wars become about being related and that it would be more interesting if they moved away and made her a nobody

godisawesome likes this.
  15. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I find that common of hardcore SW fans - most who have consumed previous EU material (novels) and want something else but for +95% of SW audience has never read an EU comic or book. There isn't a lot of SW stories already told - there had only been 6 real SW movies until Disney bought them and have nearly doubled that.

All those other stories that hardcore fans have new for decades are new to GA. Just like MCU stories were.

I think some in that echo chamber were obviously within LFL. The notion that things were too connected- hence Rey Nobody (that they backtracked).

Filoni's stories are all about the interconnectedness of the GFFA and he's been given even more power over stories.

16. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    Was there a belief that Lucas' treatment wasn't about two relations, or anyone in the Skywalker family? That seems odd considering he's gone on record about saying his idea for a post-OT story was going to be about the children or grandchildren of the Skywalker/Solo clan.

2Cleva likes this.
  17. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    I clearly remember reading that part of the reason Trevorrow was out was because Leia was more heavily in his story and he couldn't rework it to take her out - I know I didn't dream that up.

Someone told me that they had read that Rey was a Skywalker/Solo up until TFA started shooting. I remember reading that, at some point, Finn and Han were also supposed to see that whole dream sequence from touching the saber? (Where is @MagnarTheGreat ;) ).

Seemed really easy for them too. They could just steer into the Lucas hating fans from the PT and coast.

I want to know whose bright idea it was to never reunite Luke, Han and Leia on a screen and who signed off on it and thought it was a good idea. I want to know who decided Lando shouldn't show up until everyone else was dead too. But what I really really want to know is who decided that making three movies to end the Skywalker Saga was best done by three different people who apparently rarely communicated, with no one sitting down and determining how best to finish it off. Although reading that Iger said yes to the Solo movie after reading that ridiculous "you have no people" nonsense certainly explains why the OT gang was treated as they were. For someone supposedly so savvy about making money, that they would trash the golden IP that is Star Wars is amazing to me. Then I read that and his "well, what did George expect" and I'm not surprised.

I remember writing that, if TLJ didn't tell us who Rey's parents were, then Kennedy and the rest of them should be tied into chairs like Clockwork Orange for opening weekend until they understood why it needed to be settled - the whole Solo vs Skywalker fight was poison for two years.

The whole story of how the ST ended up the mess it is - and make no mistake, no matter what you think of the movies, LFL has been lurching from one thing to another without a clear plan since Disney bought it - has the makings of a great podcast series. Except people have to break their NDAs.

18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I always want to say what development or arrested development.

PendragonM likes this.
  19. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, I think that the “firm conviction” she couldn’t be a Skywalker or Solo specifically is likely more tied to TLJ (and thus, given the timeline, possibly before TFA’s release), since I don’t think we’ve heard of any serious attempt to make Rey a Skywalker in Trevorrow or Abrams scripts (excepting the symbolic naming later, of course.)

I think LFL is likely to be professionally-minded enough to feel that once they rejected the possibility of Rey being a Solo or Skywalker for TLJ with Johnson’s script, going back on that would be too much of “mea culpa.” It’s too much exactly what most people actually expected, and it would have recontextualized TLJ too much for LFL to pretend like they didn’t drop the ball somewhere.

Tying to this specific discussion:
    I think the truth of the matter is that LFL snapped it’s mouth shut before TFA was released when it came to anything dealing with the parentage of the female lead - there’s a definite difference between the early days of production, and the later days. I mean, they commissioned Rinzler to make that BTS book about TFA only to cancel it, and have pointedly refused to offer any information beyond vague allusions to Lucas and others statements that clearly pointed at a Female Solo lead. Even that other BTS book they released this year mentions Thea as one of Rey's earlier versions… but doesn’t mention she was almost certainly a Solo.

And some supporters of Rey Random and TLJ in general have tried arguing she wasn’t likely a Solo originally; not often, mind you, since so much if that info is wrapped up. But I think the urge to argue that comes from the fact that just about everyone understands on some level that *if* Rey Solo/Skywalker was ever on the table, than it likely would have been a greater success, and that’s something TLJ fans are likely to reject out of hand because it requires admitting that Rey Random wasn’t a strong answer at all.

I believe one of the early leaks said something vaguely like that…

But I think it most likely went like this:

- Abrams and Kasdan kick everyone else out of the writing room while still dealing with the initial Lucas-Arndt story idea, where Thea Solo and Skylar Solo are the protagonist and deuteragonist.
    - They settle on the story that splits Skywalker into Finn and Kylo… and likely still has Rey as a Solo or Skywalker; I’m inclined to think that Skywalker is more likely because that’s the more conventional idea Abrams is likely to favor, and because the script is now a bit too awkward to make Rey Solo work that well,
    - However, before shooting starts, Abrams convinces himself that a Mystery Box will spice things up in a good way; he’s sincere in his conviction in a conceptual way (AKA: he would tell LFL Rey should have any heritage be possible) but being Abrams, the dude who wanted to remake Wrath of Khan with a redundant Mystery Box on top, from a practical standpoint he barely changes anything in the script (thus why the story and context best fits Rey Skywalker.)
    - While shooting, Abrams emphasizes to Ridley how flexible he thinks the Mystery Box is, even specifically mentioning Kenobi as a possibility.
    - Unfortunately, LFL talks themselves into the idea that Rey Skywalker or Solo are both too predictable, and begin echo-chambering themselves into the hypothetical of Rey Random.
    - LFL recruits Johnson, but their pitch to him reflects some of the issues with the question of Rey’s heritage going through production: they *genuinely* tell him Rey could be anyone, but expose their own already forming pro-Kylo bias and interest in Rey as a nobody, and impart some of their apathy about Rey (since she’s not a Skywalker or Solo anymore) and Finn (since he’s an unexpected inconvenience with a “risky” casting choice.)
    - Johnson, now already buying into the apathy towards the main characters not named Kylo, and convinced surprise is the best answer to mysteries that he ultimately won’t have to deal with the fallout of, writes a script where the “surprise” fo Rey Random is ultimately all there is to it… and LFL, again apathetic itself about the heroes as characters, approaches it.
    - LFL now becomes wary of people being aware of the possible change in a massive connecting tissue to the Lucas films - they cancel Rinzler’s book and make a company practice of trying to keep the mystery box secure but obfuscate whether Lucas’s story had a female Solo hero as well.
    - TFA is released and outperforms expectations, and LFL becomes aware that the script they’ve approved for TLJ is going to run against the audience’s more common expectations for the next film. Out of a combination of arrogance and paranoia, they go all-in on the idea Kylo is the key to the story’s Skywalker story, and know they can’t make Rey part of that without exposing a mistake.
    - Before and After TLJ is released, they deal with the consequences of TLJ’s story when they realize it dooms Kylo/Ben if it’s Rey’s story, but are in too deep, and refuse to make the necessary course corrections; they either ride or die with Kylo Ren as the only new member of the new family. Thus, why Trevorrow gets fired for being unable to make Ben’s exit cool enough for them, and why they end up inevitably creating a situation where the only villain who can fit the role is Palpatine; they want a non-Kylo main villain, but need a cap for 9 films, and have one film to make that villain work, and Abrams or Kennedy goes with Palps because he’s the only option.

20. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    This could be what happened, but I find it ki d of hard to believe. If there was any single element of the ST that Disney probably wanted nailed down before production started, then it would be Rey. She's the big new character, and her identity had to be filled out before marketing could really begin. At the very least, they must have been in agreement that she was *basically* the new Skywalker character, from a marketing standpoint. It would be weird for LFL to be the ones that first went sour. Do you think it was Hidalgo and the story group?

It seems that Johnson did work more closely with the story group than Abrams though.

Shadao likes this.
  21. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Glitterstimm

This is why i see The Last Jedi as more or less how Lucasfilm views the Sequel Trilogy in house since it was 100% a Lucasfilm production and in some instances it seemed Abrams kinda went Rogue on Lucasfilm.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  22. Glitterstimm

Dec 30, 2017
    Yeah, it seems clear that LFL would have preferred to not be working for/with Bad Robot. TLJ appears to be more the movie they wanted than TFA, but I'm still not convinced they were actually set on "Rey Random" at any point, except as a tool to draw out the reveal.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think Rey was always gonna be "The Skywalker" and even take the name Skywalker by the end.

I just don't think they had down whether she was a "Random" or "Lost Child" or what we got "A Palpatine"

But I do think she was destined to be "The Skywalker" and it was just which road to get there that they didn't have set in stone.

24. ScreamingWoman2019

Aug 11, 2018
    Rey Skywalker (TROS) is implicit in TLJ.

Snoke: 'Skywalker, I assumed. Wrongly'.

This is irony now. Skywalker, not Luke - although he was talking about Luke.

'His equal in the light would rise'. He assumed the rise of Skywalker.

'The last jedi' was both Luke and Rey. Same thing.

He also talked about 'Skywalker' in TFA. 'If Skywalker returns the new jedi will rise'. That would be Ben, maybe. Or Anakin. (Or both, much like the Fisher King and his grandson in the myth)

HevyDevy and Jid123Sheeve like this.
  25. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    …Here, if I can be a bit pessimistic and blunt…

…I wouldn’t be surprised if some parts of LFL harbored doubts, consciously or subconsciously, about the idea of a female main character actually dominating the story, at least in comparison to their faith in the brand/desire to achieve some grand artistic process. There was a Twitter exchange where Hidalgo responded to someone pointing out the Skywalkers’ dire straits by saying Ben Solo/Kylo aren’t had that covered - which implies either a de-facto acknowledgment that some of LFL thought of Kylo more than Rey, or that they believed the Star Wars brand was bigger than the family story in the ST’s case.

While Disney may have been all about a sure-fire hit, LFL pretty clearly wanted something more experimental and “auteur” with the other films. And the Story Group clearly wasn’t actually planning anything out on their end at all, even for TLJ - the fact that they love TLJ and still wound up releasing an entire comic miniseries to try and white-wash a plot point from it shows they hadn’t thought ahead there at all.

In that scenario, if anyone has any doubts or apathy about the female main character, they’re going to be exacerbated. I think they viewed her very abstractly, and never really became fans of her character.