main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Development Of The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Guillermo del Toro and Ryan Gosling tried VERY hard to get that one off the ground.

As someone that stays far, far away from just about any of the live action Disney adaptations (be they adaptations of attractions or of their animated films), this Haunted Mansion film had me incredibly intrigued and I was very bummed when it was canceled. Guillermo del Toro is easily one of the very best 'mainstream' directors working today, and Gosling one of my favorite actors. del Toro's style paired with what I know of the Gothic horror sensabilities of the Haunted Mansion attraction (I've never experienced the ride in person – never once been to Disney) seems like a match made in Heaven.

Darth_Foo and christophero30 like this.
  2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    This had good details of what's going on.

I don't agree with Campea's doom and gloom on the change. Change is inevitable when leadership changes and of course people in organization is uneasy. That's business.

It's also good business to have oversight on creators. Lack of oversight is why MCU had early issued and obviously with SW.

As stated in video - will take years for smoke to settle. End results will speak for itself

3. Jedi_Fenrir767

Jedi_Fenrir767 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 16, 2013
    I don’t agree with his Doom and Gloom interesting enough though is that Marvel is being left alone and the model Bob i using has been used in the past on days of the Disney straight to DVD crap. Oversight over creatives can work well on sequels and hare universes but the strategy doesn’t look good at all when it comes to their studios work besides LFL.

2Cleva likes this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I was holding out for Rey-2187.

Between the scavenging and the sanitizing, they would have achieved balance. She brings home a lot of junk, and he cleans the place up.

5. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Lucasfilm historian JW Rinzler is near death from pancreatic cancer. Very sad news.

6. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    That sucks. I didn't know he was ill.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    That’s really sad news.

8. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    OMG! Thats terribly sad news. He wrote some AMAZING BTS books. And is TFA book is still shelved. More then ever its time to release it.

9. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Outside of Star Wars his work on Alien, Aliens, the Indiana Jones movies, etc. is also astoundingly good.

In Tron: Legacy the villainous "Rinzler" persona of Tron actually came to be when the team caught Rinzler's name on the copy of The Making of The Empire Strikes Back that they team was referencing.

Really hoping for all of the best for J.W. Rinzler and his family as they deal with all of this....

10. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Terrible news

BlackRanger and KyleKartan like this.
  11. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Paul Duncan was interviewed on Star Wars theory today, he is the one that released the book that gave out some of Lucas's ideas like with Darth Maul and darth talon. he was talking about what his interpretation of what Lucas's Sequels were about. which sounds like it was gonna be somewhat political. it was about rebuilding after the empire and basically how tough it would be. using the dark side as an example of how its easy for things to go to ****, but its hard to make everything good again. Luke was gonna be about a new jedi order and Leia was gonna be more the political side of keeping the peace. while Rogue storm troopers who decide they ain't ready to let go of the empire. and Maul and his apprentice were gonna be major clogs in the rebuilding process.

So you probably could imagine why Disney went nah this isnt close enough to the OT.

12. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Lucas also talked (quote archive) with James Cameron about the Whills being in his ST which I still don't have a great grasp of how that was gonna figure into anything.

The Whills would be a hard part to deal with too...microscopic masters of the universe...didn't sound very cinematic and treads on old ground occupied by the midichlorian exposition dump. But if I'm trying to honor Lucas's vision I'd try to make them like the Prophets/Pah Wraiths of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, the Occuria from Final Fantasy XII, or something like that that the mass audience can wrap their minds around but I'm not throwing it out completely like Disney.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Count Yubnub, Def Trooper and 2Cleva like this.
  13. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The Lucas ST was going to be a loose remake of that episode of The Magic School Bus in which Ms Frizzle shrinks down her class to explore the immune system of one of their classmates. But sub in Luke and his Jedi Academy as they explore the midichlorians inside Leia, in an effort to determine why she is the true Chosen One.

It all makes sense now.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Triad Moons likes this.
  14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    The Star Child/Monoliths/Stargate sequence from 2001: A Space Odyssey is the best on-screen depiction of the Whills. ;)

And Lucas directing something in that vein (especially if he's channeling a bit of his inner THX-1138 in the process) would be astoundingly fascinating.

15. JamanMosil

JamanMosil Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2004
    So who knows how this would have actually turned out, but hey - more vision than the creators of the ST had.

16. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Say no more, I’m sold.

17. Triad Moons

Triad Moons Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 14, 2020
    A lot of LucasFilm's old guard and associates seem to be dealing with some form of cancer. It's actually kind've frightening.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I feel like this tweet thread summed it up nicely

19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I do not think george would have recast or deaged though. Chances are it would still have been 30 years later.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Oh I think George is crazy enough to try and pull off The Irshman before the Irshaman though. He's that kinda guy IMHO

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2021
  21. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Oh I'm sure Lucas would have played with the tech if he had good reason too. but giving the circumstances, i could see him still setting it 30 years after. there really would be no reason not too.

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    How unless you have old man 90's Maul as apalpatine old man character. As he was going to be the main villain.

23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

[:D]

Beats me

Remember Lucas changed his mind and things evolved over time so maybe this was a earlier draft of the Sequel Trilogy when he was really into the Darth Maul stuff since that's what Clone Wars was doing at the time and then he changed it to something else.

I do think Mortis would have been a heavy factor in Lucas work since the Mortis arc was essentially where he was taking Star Wars in overall direction.

Remember people if you wanna know the future of Star Wars under George Lucas look to the Mortis Arc.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  24. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    Oh sure Mortis would be big thing, we might even gotten the father/son/daughter, appearing. Also the Yoda arc is also good look itno GL. It was almost in episode for Collins. I think Ahsoka might go into the mortis stuff.

CernStormrunner likes this.
  25. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think the Sequels are still more or less where Lucas was going to go overall but focusing more on interpersonal relationships then say the more esoteric stuff and maybe dialing back more major political messages.