main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Development Of The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
  2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Interesting. According to Zeroh Plagueis will come back in IX—he was Snoke all along. Or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    I will have to check this guy out. Very good, thank you for that tip.
    Now that I think of it, with respect to Luke, Gandalf the Gray came back as Gandalf the White. There were zero persons that said, Hey wait a minute. And as many fall over themselves to remind the more sci-fi leaning, Star Wars is fantasy first and foremost, built upon that chassis, before it has any science fiction fenders, quarter panels, and tail lights.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  4. PendragonM

PendragonM Force Ghost star 4

Mar 7, 2018
    Surely the only time Abrams would be mentioned with Goddard or Truffaut, except in a list of “male directors” ;-)

Besides, stealing from many isn’t plagiarism - it’s art, is I think how the quote goes...in any case, Lucas took from many to make something new whereas JJ took from one to make the same thing again.

Again, mileage varies. I still think that Luke, Han and Leia were trashed, and that their victories being taken from them, their love for each other tossed on an ash heap and them never being reunited was a terrible thing and a completely unforced error of LFL’s part. I think LFL wouldn’t be looking at the losses on Solo et al without these actions.

So yes @DarthPhilosopher I will always find it difficult to understand why fans are happy with this. I strive to take into account other people’s viewpoints but, like finding reasons to redeem Kylo Ren, I don’t get it and never will. I will never think any of that was good or right, no matter if Lucas himself had done it. I realize mileage varies but I can’t make this trip. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Abadacus and Tosche_Station like this.
  5. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Ok, I see Mike Zeroh is a click farm. So I take that polite ribbing in spirit. I never heard of him.

6. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Abrams didn’t remake ANH. The Republic weren't in charge; Luke wasn’t, pardon the pun, Solo; the Big 3 united and none of them died; the Jedi Master wasn’t discovered until the end; the Jedi Master was killed by the #2 Baddy; the #2 Baddy never unmasked; we never saw the Emperor; Luke didn’t take on the #2 Baddy and defeat him.

You had 0 knowledge of the 0h? :eek:

7. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    I’d sit here and point out all the similarities but sure, Abrams came up with an entirely new story that just happened to have a desert planet, a villain in black who murders the oldest male lead in act 3, a Death Star, an escape from same, X wings, TIE fighters, and so on and so forth. You forgot to add it’s like poetry, it rhymes.

eko32eko7, 11-4D, Abadacus and 8 others like this.
  8. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015

You forgot to add TPM had Tatooine, a villain in black who murders the oldest male lead in act 3, a space fortress whose destruction by a Skywalker whose act saves the day, affecting both his and the GFFA’s future, and a celebration at the end.

How much does ROTJ mirror ANH? It’s almost identical to yours and my descriptions of TFA. A villain in black does kill the oldest male lead in Act 3, albeit that status for Anakin lasting only a few minutes at the end. Not exactly the same. These are off rhymes, not perfect rhymes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    By all means, let’s do the same thing a third time. But this time, it’s not a contrast between father and son, it’s Rey Random. So why is it the same? For what reason? Because the prequels scared the audience and we have to have a reboot?

Also, the plot of ANH revolves around the Death Star. TFA suddenly has a Death Star mid act 2 when the whole plot is searching for Luke - why?

But, as we say in X-Files fandom, sure, fine, whatever.

11-4D, Abadacus, DarthTalonx and 4 others like this.
  10. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Love the X-Files.

I never said the same. And you mentioned similarities before. I did say off rhymes, not perfect rhymes. Or themes and variations as music influenced Lucas.

11. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Let's not forget the plot device of a droid carrying important plans and information that is literally what drives the movie forward. And the protagonist being an ordinary person on a desert planet that happens to become part of something much greater (aka the fight against the Empire/FO) out of nowhere.

Similarities and common themes between the SW movies are very common, but the ones between ANH and TFA are very specific and down to great detail. They are definitely the two most similar SW movies in terms of plot and themes, and 3 years later I still don't understand why they had to have another planet killer superweapon. That was really bad.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    eko32eko7, Abadacus, Aiel and 6 others like this.
  12. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Absolutely. It is uncanny. TFA however lacks the magic of ANH because the entire basis/emotional weight and deeper meaning of ANH are not present. So I suppose actually despite the remarkable similarities of the story, it's not the same story. Or perhaps ANH is simply a better version of TFA. In an age where Force powers are "earned" by closing one's eyes and saying "The Force?" versus training to achieve one's destiny, I suppose the verdict during the Development of the Sequel Trilogy is that ANH is unnecessarily complicated and the Force far too complicated, the story far too logical and the motivations of characters takes up far too much time. Family saga? A flowing plot. These are the things of the past. Far better to focus on Kanji club, introduce a super weapon as an addition to the plot, rather than the basis of the plot, and mix things up by not explaining anything. Totally makes sense. And to this, we shall give thunderous applause!

Exactly! That's what I'm saying below also.

It's a shame. The entire context, story, backdrop (backstory and political exposition), plot arc, saga arc are not present. Instead the familiar props/elements are inserted artificially to resemble ANH without any of the deeper meaning. It's all style, no substance. And in its development, there is no character purpose, motivation or role in a greater story. And the grandeur and elegance of a space opera seems lost. Rather than developing a natural continuation to a greater story, it's almost like instead a parody, or perversion of what we have just seen is showcased before us.

ANH - You're taking your first steps in a much larger world, The Force will be with you...Always. The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away. The Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times. Before the... Empire.
    I have no idea how we made it past that patrol, I thought we were done for. The Force has a powerful affect on the weak minded.

TFA - It's another Death Star. Stop holding my hand! Do you have a boyfriend...a cute boyfriend? It's the Resistance... (to what?) The Force? (Never heard of it, but going to start using it straight away) You will remove these restraints and leave the cell door open (without an explanation of how you know what a mind trick is)

As far as I could tell, TPM had a different story. The control ship was not a super weapon. The villain was not part of an intergalactic Empire, but a secretive elusive organisation long thought vanquished and extinct. The galaxy was an Old Republic with an entire Order of thousands of Jedi Knights, rather than the leftover remnants in a galaxy where their flame had died out.

I suppose one thing TPM does that ANH does is actually explain the plot, backstory and spacio-political backdrop to events. Since TFA didn't, it's definitely supremely different there. I don't recall seeing a pod race, battle droids, a planet which is an entire city etc in ANH. Not sure I recall seeing a cantina, bounty hunters, the Millennium Falcon, TIE fighters, X-wings, etc in TPM either.

As for ROTJ, not sure how that mirrors ANH. Unlike TFA, the presence of a second Death Star II is part of the plot. To lure the Rebel Alliance into "The Trap" that Ackbar so famously stated. To see "the end of your insignificant Rebellion" as the Emperor haughtily expressed to Luke, the last of the Jedi Knights. And for the Rebels, it was not simply a case of destroying the Death Star, as in ANH, but the fact that "the Emperor himself is personally overseeing" its construction, presenting a target of opportunity.

The fact that ANH also made the Death Star I the plot point, gave us a connection to Alderaan through hearing of it, feeling for the character Princess Leia from the start, making it the initial destination of our heroes, gave weight to the events unfolding. With TFA, the map to Luke Skywalker is the focus. Then we take a detour to a weapon we have never heard about, with abilities we know nothing about, to destroy a planet we know nothing about and have never seen, to destroy the capital of a governing entity we have never seen. Then we take a sidetrack from the plot to find Luke, to take on this "super weapon" which in an almost ironic way a Rebel (or is it Resistance?) officer literally says at their conference, "It's another Death Star." There is a plot purpose in TPM, ANH and ROTJ and not in TFA. So in that sense, yes there aren't similarities at all. Just used the same visuals, without any of the context or deeper meaning.

Oh and the family saga element, from the Father/Grandfather to the Son, Daughter/Father/Mother, Aunt to the Grandchildren/Children and their Friends - all of that is lost so that we can witness the random characters in all their glory in a family saga. It's a bit like seeing a new random character in the final chapter of Harry Potter, or a new character taking all the credit in the final instalment of Indiana Jones.

11-4D, Abadacus, Aiel and 8 others like this.
  13. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Thank you for pointing out the differences between these 4 films. My contention is the claim that TFA is too much like ANH, which it isn’t. How the similarities and differences function is why those whom I discussing this with find TFA to be unsuccessful and you all give good reasons.

14. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    The term "too much" is subjective. For you it might not be too much. For me, TFA is as similar to ANH as it could have been, without being sued for plagiarism. I would say that's too much.

It's like the infamous story of Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice avoiding a copyright infringement violation, after being compared to Under Pressure by Queen. The lawsuit didn't happen, but anyone who doesn't sing Under Pressure when they hear Ice Ice Baby playing, is just tone deaf. :p

15. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Yeah, how much is too much? Early Allen and DePalma—directly quoting Potemkin, for example. Or Mel Brooks.

SKB I liked despite its being mobile, a reservation I had. It stands to reason the FO would try to get make a new improved DS. I just wish the Sledgehammer hadn’t been discarded as it maybe would have made things grayer as the Resistance would have had their own WMD. That said, the destruction of SKB was too much like the ANH for me, no Falcon helping out notwithstanding.

I don’t mind TFA resembling ANH. With the events of the OT and the inclusion of the Big 3, tonal continuity makes sense to me. Yeah, we could have had more original ship designs, but proto Star Destroyers appear in AOTC, so it doesn’t bother me we have bigger, badder SDs in the ST, not to mention Tie Fighters and X-Wings.

And it’s not like the NR would be all that interested in coming up with the baddest new ships—unnecessary as they’re more interested in rebuilding the GFFA peacefully, democratically, commercially. The FO had to build upon what they had given their limited resources compared to the Empire.

To what degree it’s plagiarism? I don’t see any real copy and paste, but allusions. But as you pointed out, it’s subjective. I definitely hear David Gilmour from Eclipse in The Phantom of the Opera theme.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  16. PendragonM

Mar 7, 2018
    You really wanted Leia to have her own planet killer after Alderaan?

17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The most distinct differences between ANH and TFA are the 3 main leads they each have, which is the biggest compliment to pay TFA, since they're genuinely engaging in a different way, though only one (Finn) is totally original (Rey and Kylo are both more inversions of Luke and Vader.) They add the biggest change ups, and a similar logic (+ risk regarding its endpoint) occurs with Han being slotted into the Obi-Wan role, totally embracing the irony of that.

Finn's story is utterly different than anything else in the Saga, literally going from a faceless and nameless henchmen in the back to a desperate, if canny, deserter, to eventually impersonating a Resistance Big Deal, then becoming that Resistance Big Deal. It's genuinely fresh, in depth, and engaging, providing us probably our best "Everyman" hero. Rey and Kylo, thanks to being inversions fo familiar heroes and villains instead of direct copies, are also engaging, though once you figure out how they reverse their original archetypes, you can start to predict some of their actions. Still, they're not overly repetitive, and overall the character arcs they go through make a good deal of sense with the parameters of their characterizations. Hux maybe gets some of this from being a young, somewhat headstrong but energetic version of the Imperial officers, though he's secured in a supporting role, not a lead one.

SKB ends up being the most irritatingly unneccessary ANH ripoff; nobody cares about the trench run, nobody is shocked it blows up the Hosnian System, and nobody is particularly excited about it resetting the Galaxy to the OT status quo (except perhaps marketing analysts trapped in an echo chamber screaming "PT elements = Bad!"). It honestly works far better as a setting for the lightsaber duel than as a plot element, and that's strictly because someone realized a shadowy and snowy forest was striking imagery, so it's not like you can really credit SKB for that

Though, TFA's development as an ANH pastiche does have one advantage over TLJ's pastiche of ESB and ROTJ: TFA at least followed as for his internal logic for its elements, while TLJ largely hammered OT elements in without providing a strong logic for why or how it would work.

Link1130, 11-4D and PymParticles like this.
  18. The Legions of Lettow

Oct 14, 2015
    Sorry, Warhammer. And I guess it’s not a WMD so much as a super weapon.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I don't agree with the last bit about TLJ's treatment of TESB/RotJ story beats and iconography (I think it works both internally and especially in regards to how it sets up IX with a status quo and dynamics that we haven't quite dealt with before), but everything you said above regarding TFA is pretty much spot-on. Great post.

20. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I knew the last part was subjective, but the military situation in TLJ just strikes me as an even worse "send up" to the OT than TFA, since we've seen plucky underdogs against overwhelming force before and it's just sloppily written on all fronts, and fundamentally, I don't see the way Rey Random was presented as anything new; it's just a less developed and low-calorie version of Luke's story in the OT, back before the whole Chosen One thing was mentioned that's stripped of the interesting elements that ESB gave Luke's story, and arguably damaged by the explicit phrasing of her abilities as superior to all but Kylo, who she's tied with. It's basically invoking a more played-straight version of the Chosen One story in all its weaknesses, and without the deconstructive element Lucas added to Anakin in the PT... Or the nuance and growth that both Luke and Anakin got.

I *do* see a value and potential in Rey Random, but when I look at the way TLJ employed it, it feels like we were again cheated out of a good story for her in TLJ by her being written to not struggle to match Kylo even a little bit, and of course I view the entire premise of the throne room scene as illogical because I value Rey's feud with Kylo from TFA too much to see her decision making process and sympathy for him as anything but unnatural, because I valued her interactions with Finn and Han and because I saw her torture as a kind of permanent barrier to her seeing potential in him without *massive* reveals about his character, and I didn't get any of that from the story.

Which I guess breaks down one of my fundamental issues with the developing of TLJ versus TFA: skewed and debilitating priorities for characters.

To me, Finn was required to be written in a way that was more creative and engaging, and at least should have been even with Luke in regards to importance to the film. Luke has the Force plot, but he should be in a supporting role to Rey, and Finn *is* the male lead, and is arguably our best mortal hero and the strongest difference between the ST and the rest of the Saga; it may be that you want to give him story of human failure, but you can't botch it the way that I believe TLJ did. And once Finn was supplanted in importance to the film, we have a critical failure in development. Luke is a legend, yes... but he was the hero of the OT and his story as the lead is done. The second RJ leaned into his story about Luke so much that he knew Luke was getting more screentime and focus than Finn, he should have either backed off (inadvisable) or significantly beefed up Finn's role (what should have been done, even if it meant, say, significantly cutting down on Poe and Holdo's plot to save time... and make fewer mistakes.)

I *am* with you in regards to Kylo becoming the villainous leader, though. To be honest, that was something I both predicted and looked forward to; I recognize the logic and strong argument to be made that Snoke was too derivative of Palpatine to be the main final villain (though, yes, I believe answering how he so screwed up the OT3's happy ending required actual answers and not ignorance.) Still, the idea of Kylo growing into the lead villain role is spectacular...

...But again, fundamentally, his job as the ST's antagonist is to support Rey's story by supplying a strong conflict and I think RJ and LFL were convinced they had an Anakin level anti-hero, while what they actually have is an inverted Vader. And Rey doesn't gain anything from interacting with Kylo in TLJ; instead he does, and he's still underwritten himself. Her reasons for hating him honestly should take greater priority than the appeal of an alliance between them, because the anger and hostility is the foundation of their interaction: any depth their interactions may have have to deal with that foundation, whether to build a bridge over it or use it to make a genuine bedrock for understanding and respect. But TLJ was developed as though Kylo was sympathetic and more importantly someone the audience would expect Rey to have sympathy for, which flies in the face of the way TFA developed their interaction. And it never seems to have entered into the development of TLJ that Rey's perspective was being ignored.

And Kylo's role as the conflict creator means he has to be a good opponent and threat, which means that priority 1 for TLJ after the fight in TFA with him should have been making sure the audience feared him when IX came around, and fundamentally, that didn't happen.

In the ranking thread, I posted that I think that TLJ's quality in directing and acting are of a quality superior to the Pt by far, and I'll hold to that, as well as my assessment that if we're talking about quality, that should put it ahead of the PT, but only just barely, and not above ROTS, but maybe tied with it, because it's story is the most flawed and least thought out of the Saga thus far.

It's an unworthy successor to TFa, because it fails to service the ST3 well in preparation for IX, and shares a weakness for mimicking the OT, though not as beat-for-beat but instead more sloppily and driven by narrative convenience.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  21. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  22. DarthHass

DarthHass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2004
    Thunderous applause? Isn’t that how liberty dies? Or just unrealistic expectations?

23. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    To me the biggest similarities between TFA and ANH are in the production design. There is just way too much overlap there and it drives a message that “this is ANH” all over again.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    He did but in a far more obvious and direct way than Lucas himself did with TESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC and ROTS.

"Remaking" the same movie over and over again is the Star Wars way. TFA did it as did TLJ. That isn't the real issue. The issue is the ways and means of the remake.

The key term is remake. Remake as in make new again and transforming into it's own thing as opposed to the retread version of a remake which is where TFA's ambitions were as the requel: "a movie that's both a reboot and a sequel, blending old with new in an effort to extend the life of a franchise and, in the best cases, reinvent it for a "universe" of follow-up movies."

TFA did it in such an obvious and overt way as pointed out over and over again:

Video after video could be shown here. I forget which one it was but it calculated that 89% of TFA's plot points came from ANH while the other 11% came from TESB and ROTJ. Never mind all the similarities along the way to the prequels as well which were especially evident in TLJ.

Whereas Lucas did it with his mirroring and rhyming in ways that most often either weren't noticeable at all the first or 50th time you saw them and only are so evident now after decades of study of the story (plus Lucas himself talking about the method). This methodology of his runs through all the movies in so many ways that we are still discovering in the depths of character, story, situations, dialogue, design and all sorts of details.

The more obvious elements that were identified early just seem to be more a basic broadstroke of the kind of things that happen in the Star Wars universe.

TPM was obviously a "remake" of ANH or rather another version from the same original source material that Lucas had originally assembled
    for The Star Wars.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with VII being a remake. That is perfectly fine and really the way anyone doing it should have approached it because that is the precedent set with the previous 5 movies after ANH. At issue is the kind of remake whereby it's done in such direct reference to the pre-existing movie and invites the audience to watch along that way.

Let an audience watch ANH, TFA and then ROTS they ask them which of the former two is a remake. The answer would be evident. Yet ROTS is also a remake but it takes thing changes them around with new characters, situations, designs and story contexts as well as flowing into the movie that it is a prequel to. TFA is supposed to be a sequel but evidently isn't. For all the time that passes between Lucas movies and all the events that happen they still effectively pick up from where the other one has left off even if there are 10 or 20 years between them.

Plotwise TFA is better sequel to ROTS then it is ROTJ because that is essentially what they were going for. An actual ROTJ sequel would be entirely different while at the same time also remaking ANH.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  25. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    To me it feels like AOTC and ROTS have the most unique story structure of any of the films, and borrow less from the others. Whereas TFA, TLJ, ROTJ and TPM (in that order, I would argue) feel like less unique story structures.

I don’t judge AND or TESB because those were largely original story structures when first conceived and released.