main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Development Of The Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Artoo-Dion , Sep 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    It's one of the very very few bits of "Rebels" that I actually liked. Though I wouldn't mind a retcon.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    @godisawesome have you read the Kenobi novel by JJM? I know it’s not canon anymore, but I enjoyed it a lot.

I wouldn’t mind a Kenobi film, but between that novel and what we got in Rebels I’m quite satisfied.

3. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    NEVER ENOUGH
    [​IMG]

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    Why retcon? Just show the same scene in live action. Only the "junkies" like us will have seen it, but I'm good with that. They can build it up more in a potential movie. I don't think they should retcon such a great scene.

2Cleva likes this.
  5. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    What could have been. Life is cruel indeed. :(

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    11-4D likes this.
  6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Brad Bird is wildly overrated. JJ wasn’t my top choice either (I generally find his films to be about an inch thick), but Bird has shown no signs of being able to build a world and a story to the high Star Wars standard.

I’ll forever be disappointed that someone like Cuaron didn’t go first.

Darth_Bertie, Abadacus and Immortiss like this.
  7. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I wouldn’t say wildly overrated, but yes, overrated.

Cuaron has the goods and I suspect any SW out of him would be quite imaginative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Supposedly Matthew Vaughn was also quite close. SW under him would have been interesting.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’d also like to see Reeves, Mangold, Bigelow, Sapochnik, Villeneuve, McLaren and Chazelle get a shot at the GFFA.

10. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    Well, they're very different directors. Cuaron is an auteur, while Bird is a family entertainment guy. The tone of his films is perfect for SW, IMO. We could have got something akin to TFA in feel, but without it being a retread of ANH and unnecessary mystery boxes. But then again, who knows what we would have got.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I think Bird’s world-building is very superficial. Honestly, my sense is that he would’ve given us something very similar to TFA. He strikes me as being of the JJ school of family entertainment. Not much on that surface, and not much underneath the surface either.

Abadacus and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  12. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

[​IMG]

13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I wish they'd gone conservative to kick off the ST. Lucas producer, Spielberg directing. Not as though Kennedy hadn't worked with them before.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    DarthFixxxer and Count Yubnub like this.
  14. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I feel the opposite, and I think JJ was a very safe choice.

15. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    No matter who the director, without a plan besides treating the Saga like a baton it was inevitable someone would drop it.

16. Nipuhanipera

May 25, 2014
    I still wonder what that very first brainstorming meeting resulted in. Not much, apparently.

ImpKnight, 11-4D, 2Cleva and 2 others like this.
  17. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Somehow I keep quoting you today, but I swear I am not doing it on purpose.

Yes, absolutely
    Cuaron (best Harry Potter movie, Children Of Men, Gravity - though I didn't love it)
    Reeves (Cloverfield, Planet Of The Apes movies)

Maybe
    Mangold (yes to Identity, Walk The Line, 3:10 to Yuma, meh to everything since and especially The Wolverine = did not like it one bit)
    Sapochnik (yes because of GoT legendary episodes, maybe because if he gets an approval so should Filoni, it's all about vision)
    Villeneuve (yes because of Arrival, maybe because I have not seen Prisoners, Enemy, Sicario and Blade Runner 2049.... I should correct that! )

No
    McLaren (who is that?)
    Chazelle (don't really care for any of his films personally)

JJ Abrams was a safe choice perhaps for the box office, but not for the end result. The more I think about it, the more I tend to realize that his mystery box hurt the franchise. And as I have stated in the past, I like more about JJ than I dislike. But I don't think he did a good job with TFA, in retrospect.

18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Fair enough. Few responses.

Cuaron can do no wrong for me. Children of Men is the best sci-fi/ fantasy film in decades, I think, and Gravity, Roma, Prisoners, etc, show that he is the most adept at combining indie intimacy with epic blockbuster. He’s perfect.

Mangold also did “Logan,” by the way. Along with 3:10 to Yuma, it’s his best I think. He was rumored to be directing the Bobs film.

McLaren is also a GoT series regular, and has directed some of my favorite episodes. Including the one that ends with the baby conversion, if you remember.

Chazelle’s First Man was brilliant (best space race film yet, in my view), though I didn’t like La La Land. So he might be hit or miss, but he has the chops.

You forgot Bigelow. Yes, her stuff has been very realistic (Zero Dark Thirty, Hurt Locker, Detroit), but she works wonders with Rogue One cinematographer Greig Fraser, and I’d love to see her take on a difficult bit of the GFFA.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  19. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    Oh I did skip a name.... and it's a woman, save me now from the ones ready to accuse me of sexism even though I did not know half of these people's genders off the top of my head before looking them up :p

Ya she is good, I liked Zero Dark Thirty and The Hurt Locker. I would place her into the "maybe" category.
    McLaren also goes into the maybe I guess, for the same reasons as Sapochnik.

PS. I did not love Logan. It was alright.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  20. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    How much creative control do the GoT directors have? Because normally on television shows the director has very little creative control, and the showrunner takes many of the duties they normally have.

21. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    As far as I can tell, directors normally have a lot of control over how to shoot an episode. So everything from camerawork to lighting to coaching actors. For me, that makes a huge difference. And it shows in things like GoT. To me, Sapichnik, McLaren and other great director episodes really shine.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    DarthFixxxer likes this.
  22. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Oct 20, 2018
    It is widely known that Sapochnik for example is the main reason why the episodes he has directed are considered among the best of the show and the best in television, ever. It definitely helps that GoT directors are always given strong story material from Bryan Cogman, David Benioff & D. B. Weiss (mainly), but at the same time one cannot miss his astonishing work in the episodes he has directed.

Also, my two cents are that I approve a lot of creative control limitations for Star Wars now. We have certainly had a lack of that with the ST.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011

Well I know a lot of television directors are little more than the people who block the scenes and work with the actors, which is certainly something, but the it's a great deal less than the director role in theatrical work. Certainly that's how he professionals I now who work on television shows have described the directors role.

I'm sure there are differences amongst television shows however, which is why I asked about what the situation was in GoT. Typically I'm skeptical about recommending someone based purely upon television work for this reason.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Ever since Alan Taylor (who has directed some of the best GOT episodes) and Thor: The Dark World, I will forever remain sceptical of television directors taking on big budget studio films.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    What about the Russo brothers? I think they had only directed some "Arrested Development" and "Community" episodes before they directed Marvel stuff.