main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Diary of a Dead Man; Written for the Dear Diary Challenge; OCs; updated 2/7

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Rogue_Pilot_2347, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oqidaun

oqidaun Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2005
    Eek! How'd I miss Day 33?
    Thanks for the PM. :D

This is a great new twist!

2. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    L_S: Absolutely. Just keep adding flour and it'll get thicker....:p

MsLanna: Actually, this is set about two and a half years after RotS, so it's a bit early to worry about being blown up just yet, but yes, the Empire is at odds with Bail. Of course it is. The Empire's at odds with everyone who has any kind of morals...

VaderLVR64: I'm glad you like Nat. The poor kid was only trying to protect his sister (and did a good job of it too.)

oqi: Twists are fun...

Day Thirty-eight

Will all my life away from my beloved Meridi be full of warring and danger? I wonder if I will ever get to settle down into a calmer existence than I have known since the Festival of Lights.

The Imperial army continues to pursue us. They sent a flight of star fighters after the Chimaeraion which headed her off, and managed, somehow, to pull her out of hyperspace. ?Can you pilot a ship?? Andras asked me as he ran to the single turret the Chimaeraion possesses. He spoke so quickly I could scarcely understand him.

Before I could answer?no, of course?I heard Mercedes? cry from the cockpit. ?Not on your life, Andras. You come help me. Let him man the turret. The only way we?ll get out of here is by running. They?re too many for us to try to fight.?

So I found myself thrust into a tiny turret with only clear transparisteel between me and the vacuum of space that all Meridian children are taught to respect and fear.

It was very black. As a young child, I used to gaze at it, and point out the various constellations to my family: looking at the stars was my hobby; my family encouraged me. Space never looked so intimidating and dangerous when my feet were firmly on the ground.

I took the turret in in a glance. It was small, occupied by a chair and a lever. The lever had grips, in which one could place one?s fingers. This I did, and noticed that my hand was shaking. I have never shot anything but a target before, and even then, I only hit it by chance.

I was saved the embarrassment of missing. Just as I settled myself into the chair a shot ?clipped? Chimaeraion?s wing, to use Mercedes? terminology. Whatever the shot did, it knocked me to the ground.

The next thing I remember is Andras leaning over me, laying a damp cloth on my forhead. I asked him immediately if we had escaped into hyperspace.

?We?re well away,? was his reply. He is a quiet man. I have been with Andras and Mercedes for only four days, but I have rarely heard him say more than five or six words at a time. ?Lie still now,?

And so I am in Andras? bed, while he sleeps as best he can on my cot. How many debts will I have before I can finally keep myself from trouble long enough to live?

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I was saved the embarrassment of missing. Just as I settled myself into the chair a shot ?clipped? Chimaeraion?s wing, to use Mercedes? terminology. Whatever the shot did, it knocked me to the ground.

The next thing I remember is Andras leaning over me, laying a damp cloth on my forhead. I asked him immediately if we had escaped into hyperspace.

?We?re well away,? was his reply. He is a quiet man. I have been with Andras and Mercedes for only four days, but I have rarely heard him say more than five or six words at a time. ?Lie still now,?

And so I am in Andras? bed, while he sleeps as best he can on my cot. How many debts will I have before I can finally keep myself from trouble long enough to live?

Another superb update! =D=

4. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Awesome chapter.

Poor kid!

Thanks for the PM, can't wait for the next entry.

5. RavenNolan

RavenNolan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2006
    You have an interesting OC and story here. I didn't think I would like it, but I do. Please add me to the PM list.

6. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    At least, he didn't have to kill anybody.

And such a convenient way to avoid writing a space battle, I have to remember that.:D
    Let's hope life gets calmer once they land. He deserves a bit of a break.

7. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005

I loved that line. Wow!

Excellent update, Rogue.

8. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    VaderLVR64: Thank you!

Laine_Snowtrekker: Things'll start to look up eventually....

RavenNolan: Glad you like it/him. Consider yourself added.

MsLanna: Not yet, anyway. He's done with killing for a while, at least. Isn't that a wonderful way to avoid the difficult section? (Yes, I know I'm a lazy cheater, but I really don't have the inclination to deal with action at the moment;))

oqi: Thanks. I like that part, too.

Day Forty-two; orbiting Alderaan

Alderaan at last. I began to think we would never get here. Mercedes and Andras took a warning from the attack four days ago, and took a long, round-about path to get hear. We have not actually landed yet, for the government has not yet given permission, though Mercedes assures me that it will come soon.

Must go. Mercedes has called me to the cockpit for some reason. I think she mentioned something about the custom officers wishing to see everyone who is aboard a vessel trying to obtain permission to land.

I will continue this later.

Later; the surface of Alderaan

So we have landed. Alderaan is a beautiful planet ? even more beautiful than our textbooks claim. All over are trees and fountains, so that one is never far from shade and the sound of running water.

Mercedes and Andras have set me free to wander, with the admonition to "keep out of trouble," while they meet with Senator Organa. Now I am sitting in a pleasant garden, on the rim of a fountain, writing this. Overhead is a wealth of birds of such bright colors that they remind me of the birds of Meridi. Even farther above, a hawk wheels in clear air, the sunlight showing red through his tail feathers.

My apologies. At home, I used to write stories for the amusement of my family, and I always relied on my descriptions to take them into the story. Apparently, I cannot keep that habit out of my journal.

To continue:

It is such a relief to sit quietly in the sun ? the true, honest to goodness sun, unblocked by buildings so tall the bottoms of them have long since been forgotten; such a relief to not be scared for my very life, or ashamed of my existence. I could stay here for hours, watching the fat fish move lazily through the clear water.

There are few people here, and they speak in low voices, so as not to disturb those who, like, come here to read or write away from the din of everyday life. Sara would love this place. Someday, she must come here, with me, if it can be accomplished.

Someone is approaching; I must stop for now.

Later still

We are to dine at Senator Organa's home tomorrow night. I cannot decide if I am scared or excited, or a mixture of both. Now, as it is late, I must go to bed. Tomorrow is another day to explore this wonderful planet that seems to be like a more subdued version of my own Meridi.

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I'm anxious to see how things go on Alderaan for our fellow!

=D=

10. RavenNolan

Jul 15, 2006
    I love the way he writes about Alderaan. It sounds so beautiful and peaceful.

So he's going to get to dine with Senator Organa. This should be an interesting addition to his diary.

Thanks for the pm.

11. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Oh, he's on Alderaan! I do hope he enjoys it! A dinner with Organa. Hmm...would there perchance be an appearance of a certain small brunette? :)

Thanks for the PM. Much appreciated.

12. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    VaderLVR64: [face_whistling] We'll see...

RavenNolan: Yes, it should.

Laine_Snowtrekker: Yep. Indeed. Perhaps...I guess you'll have to find out...

All right, everyone. This is a day late: it was supposed to go up yesterday, but I didn't have time. So, at any rate, here's Day Forty-Three:

Day Forty-three

I have survived my first formal meal off of Meridi. Unfortunately, I had to borrow Andras? ?second best suit,? as anything I own that might have sufficed for this sort of event is still in the treasure vault on Coruscant. I have never been one to worry too much about my appearance, but on the other hand, neither have I dined with a galaxy-renowned senator and his family in clothes that are far too large for me ? for indeed, Andras stands a full head higher than I, and is broader about the shoulders as well.

Now that I am through playing the vain cockerel, about the dinner. It was quite pleasant. The senator and his wife are both kind, generous people, and their daughter is simply delightful. Amazingly enough, she looks nothing like either of them. Perhaps she resembles a more distant relation. Senator Organa was a perfectly gentlemanly host. He asked just enough question to make me feel welcome and interesting to him, without becoming ?nosey? and intruding. Andras and Mercedes he knows of old, though I cannot fathom why a senator would be as closely acquainted with some less-than-genteel couriers. (Not that they are at all vulgar; they simply are not nobility, and on Meridi, at least, the classes do not mix so readily. Perhaps this is just another difference in culture.)

After a delicious meal of soup, salad, some kind of roast fowl, some kind of fried red meat, and a magnificent pudding for desert, Lady Organa showed us into a comfortable sitting room. It reminded me greatly of our sitting room at home. The furniture was all in warm colors that were, nevertheless, not so bright that they hurt your eyes. After this we talked for a while. Still, Senator Organa was the picture of politeness, but before long it became obvious that he wished to speak of something with Mercedes and Andras that he was not sure he could say in my presence.

Oddly enough, it was little Princess Leia who saved this situation. From the moment we arrived, she had followed me. Again, I cannot fathom why she is so taken with me, but she is, and after we had sat for a while, she asked me in the sweetest manner imaginable if I would like to see her garden. I went gladly.

Her garden was a tiny plot of turned up soil, with nothing in it. ?It?s only just been planted,? her nurse assured me as I peered at the square of rich brown.

?I am sure it will be wonderful once it starts to grow,? I told Princess Leia. ?What have you planted??

She named a list of flowers and vegetables that I have never heard of. I could only smile at her, and nod. She took my hand and led me to another plot of ground, in which tiny seedlings were just starting to show their heads. ?This is mama?s garden. She planted it earlier.?

By and by, she led me through the entirety of the Organas? magnificent gardens. Nowhere else have I seen gardens that could be compared to the wild places on Meridi. Of course, Alderaan is not so bright and luxuriant, but as it is about as close as a temperate planet can come to resembling a tropical planet.

I spent the rest of the evening with Princess Leia and her nurse. I would dearly love to know what was said in that sitting room after I left, but for all the galaxy, I would not ask, for Mercedes and Andras will certainly send me away if I prove too curious.

13. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Aw! Leia led him through the gardens! You know what? She probably sensed that her father wanted this man not in the room, and so she showed him around. I do hope that the Organas help him out.

As always, thanks for the PM. Much appreciated.

14. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    Sorry I'm an update late. [face_blush]

Excellent updates!!!

Little Leia was really cute. :D

I love how real your narrator is in this story. Great job! =D=

15. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Love little Leia! [face_love] Nice to see them interact!

Great update. =D=

16. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    Laine_Snowtrekker: I didn't think of that. Good thouht....

oqidaun: Thanks! I'm enjoying writing him. Again, I'm trying to base this as much as possible on my own journal entries, without making it as dry and boring as mine are to anyone who isn't me...

VaderLVR64: Thanks. I couldn't resist. :)

Day Forty-nine; Hyperspace

We are en route to Mon Calamari. Sitting at the head of my bed (dare I call it my own?) is a sheet of paper covered in bright colors, with large, sloppy letters saying: ?To: Nathaneel. Love Leia.? I believe the picture is what her garden will look like once it is grown. Andras laughs, in his quiet way, and Mercedes teases me that I have not been away from my home for two months, and already am luring respectable girls away from their parents. I felt my cheeks grow hot and red when she said that.

Today Mercedes and Andras taught me to play sabacc. This is a card game that relies heavily on luck, and a little bit of strategy. We played four games, and I lost all of them. I do not particularly care for this game. Players must rely too much on chance. When I play games, I prefer to use my head to think my way through, rather than simply to hope everything will come right. To make up for the loss, I taught them how to play chess. This game is fairly common in some parts of the galaxy, but on Meridi, it is far more than common. I love to play it with my father. The game involves a board of sixty-four squares alternating black and white, and sixteen pieces each in black and white. Chess is a game of pure strategy. Often, the especially talented players will spend hours puzzling over a single move. And this will go on for an entire game. Of course, I do not take this long (I enjoy the game, but I am not that talented). Our games today took about an hour on average. (One thing I must admit: it is flattering to play against someone who has just learned the game. I generally lose to father, but because Mercedes and Andras are unfamiliar with the pieces, and the way they move, I beat them easily.

I am listening carefully for any hint as to what was spoken of in Senator Organa?s sitting room, but they are careful never to mention anything relating to that.

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    We are en route to Mon Calamari. Sitting at the head of my bed (dare I call it my own?) is a sheet of paper covered in bright colors, with large, sloppy letters saying: ?To: Nathaneel. Love Leia.? I believe the picture is what her garden will look like once it is grown. Andras laughs, in his quiet way, and Mercedes teases me that I have not been away from my home for two months, and already am luring respectable girls away from their parents. I felt my cheeks grow hot and red when she said that.

Loved it! :D

I also like how the Organas are being very cautious.

=D=

18. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    Aw, I love the little Leia art!

:D

19. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Yes, I too love the little Leia art--and that he hung it up! [face_love]

Thanks very much for the PM. Very appreciated.

20. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    VaderLVR64: But of course the Organas are cautious. If I was going to be a leader in a revolution like that, I'd be cautious too. ;) Thanks.

oqidaun: I had to let her do something to embarress Nat with. He needs to loosten up a bit...

Laine_Snowtrekker: Thanks! If you get art from a kid, it had better go up on the wall. They don't have a problem with asking...;)

Day Fifty-four

I asked Mercedes if I could work for her and Andras today. She did not say no, but neither did she say yes. Now I am in the lounge, playing a game of chess with myself. I can hear them talking in the cockpit, but I think they are not speaking Basic, for I can understand nothing. Also, both their voices are low, and fast; full of tension.

I wonder if the tension arises from my request, or from the conversation that they had with Senator Organa ? or both. These two do not worry me half as much as Bane and his group did, but that is not to say I am not worried at all. The thought begins to push into my mind that perhaps I left one group of criminals only to join another group. What if there is more to this doubt than I hope?

Oh, why did Reuben Ssacco choose my sister, of all the beautiful young ladies on Meridi? Still, I would not change my act for the world, but can it be wrong to wish that the necessity to commit it had never been forced upon me? From the moment I plunged the knife into Reuben Ssacco?s breast, I knew some shreds of the act would haunt me forever, but will it haunt me in a way that never gives me peace? Am I to be hunted and shot at for the rest of my life?

The knife still hangs from my belt. Sometimes I see Mercedes or Andras look questioningly at it. I know they wonder why I carry it. But that knife shall never leave my side. Every time I look at it, I see my life; the things in my life that truly matter: Sara?s white knuckles as she gripped my hand that night (can it be more than a month ago now? It seems like it was yesterday.); the sarcastic disdain in Reuben Ssacco?s eyes as he glanced from my sister to me; Justice Kouer?s firm form as he told me that I must leave my home forever; the look in my father?s eyes as I boarded the ship that was to carry me away.

I cling to these memories ? I have to. They are all I have left of my home. They are what makes me who I am now ? a dead man, who nevertheless has breath. They must remind me why I am here; and, in the moments of doubt insist upon pushing forward, remind me that it was worth it, and always will be. And that, I must never forget.

21. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    I really feel bad for the kid.

Let's hope that they let him join!

thanks for the pm, as always.

22. oqidaun

Jul 20, 2005
    I loved this introspection connected to the knife:
    The knife still hangs from my belt. Sometimes I see Mercedes or Andras look questioningly at it. I know they wonder why I carry it. But that knife shall never leave my side. Every time I look at it, I see my life; the things in my life that truly matter: Sara?s white knuckles as she gripped my hand that night (can it be more than a month ago now? It seems like it was yesterday.); the sarcastic disdain in Reuben Ssacco?s eyes as he glanced from my sister to me; Justice Kouer?s firm form as he told me that I must leave my home forever; the look in my father?s eyes as I boarded the ship that was to carry me away.

=D=

23. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004

This passage really stood out for me as well. Yes, the knife changed his life (or more precisely, his actions WITH the knife) but I can see that he would do the same thing. His regret is clearly not for his actions, which were warranted) but for the necessity of them. That's a very REAL emotion.

A lovely job with this character and this story! =D=

24. RavenNolan

Jul 15, 2006
    Fascinating posts. I love the interaction between Nathaneel and Leia. He's a natural with children and she's already a natural with people in general. So much like her mother with that.

I love the imagry you give us in these posts. I can picture the dinner scene, the gardens, being on the ship playing games, and even the thought of Leia's drawing.

I was touched by the part about the role his knife played in his life and the changes brought from the actions surrounding it. The fact that he has no regrets for his actions speaks volumes as to the integrity of this young man. As does his regret for ever having to be put in the situation in the first place.

Keep up the good work.

25. Rogue_Pilot_2347

May 16, 2005
    Goodness, I'm sorry, everybody. I just realized I've had a post waiting that I forgot about. Well, here it is. And I'll post what I was going to post tomorrow afternoon, after my exams are over.

L_S: Thanks. Yeah, he's having a rough time adjusting to life outside Meridi.

oqi: Thanks.

VaderLVR64: Exactly (about Nat's mindset). Thanks

RavenNolan: But of course, she's Leia. I'm sure the first thing she did when she was brought to Bail Organa's house as a baby was solve an argument between a couple cooks (:p JK) Imagery happens to be my strong point in writing, so expect quite a bit of it...Thanks

Day Fifty-five

I can hardly write for joy ? Mercedes just agreed to allow me to stay with them for a ?trial period!? We are nearing Mon Calamari now, but she will begin to teach me the ways of the Chimaeraion when we leave. I must go. We have dropped out of hyperspace and Andras is calling me.

Later

I have had my first flying lesson. Piloting the Chimaeraion is anything but easy. I fear I have given Mercedes and Andras a bumpy ride. When Mercedes pilots this ship she makes it look so easy. In reality, piloting The Chimaeraion is difficult and complicated. There is so much to concentrate on at on time that it gives me a headache just to think of it. One must, of course, steer, and watch the speed, and make sure all the parts are working properly. This is done by watching a screen across which scrolls a never-ending list of statistics and formulas. Mercedes knows how to translate it from whatever technical dialect is used. I can hardly read Basic, let alone a code in Basic.

Mercedes and Andras are patient teachers, however. They sat through my clumsy attempts at holding the Chimaeraion steady, and read me the information that the screen was scrolling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.