main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Dice

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darryl Cooper, May 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Darryl Cooper

Darryl Cooper Jedi Padawan

Feb 9, 2017
    Loved the film but did I miss something or were the dice not involved in his winning of the Falcon? Even the new card game set being released by Hasbro includes a set of the dice for the game....why if they are not used?

2. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    "Put the dice in, Kasdan!"

"Kathleen, the dice had no meaning really. They're just props to generate attention with as little effort as poss-"

"PUT THEM IN!"

Snafu55 likes this.
  3. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    The rumor that they were actually used in the game never made much sense since they’ve clearly been welded to the chain and we saw in the trailer that they were his good luck charm since his youth.

My guess is that we will find out more of the history of them for him as a young man in the sequel.

The good news is that they were not a special gift that Qui’ra gave to him as a present that he’d held in memory of her after a death (that didn’t happen either.)

In the end they are a just good luck charm to him that he had on him when he won the Falcon in that game and something he’d carried with him a long time. I think there are dice on the table as they play but no shots of them rolling them.

I like to thing he took them down when he met Leia because he felt he won the actual prize of being with her and spending 3 great decades with her before things became hard and then he put them back up again after things went south because he felt he needed better luck again.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Shaak Ti and unicorn like this.
  4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    If only that basically unseen prop didn't dangle for second in ANH we'd be free of the cursed thing!

[face_tired]

At least Rose's pendant had some use!

5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I like that the dice are just a casual good luck charm, and not something that is focused on and accompanied with swelling dice-themed music. It’s just a little thing Han has for luck that further humanizes and defines him. He takes chances. Enough said. Nice and subtle touch. Glad they didn’t make a big deal of it.

Why the heck does it have to be “used?” It’s a charm.

The fandom, sometimes...I love it and hate it equally every day.

Sarge, Eternal_Jedi and Gamma626 like this.
  6. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It’s sort of like Indiana Jones and his hat. It’s just a hat but he loved it.

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    If it wasn't used at all that'd be fine.

JJ is the one who brought it back then excised it from TFA anyway.

8. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, but it’s just a good luck charm that is a simple, visual way of defining Han. What’s the problem with it being in some of the films?

Eternal_Jedi and Shaak Ti like this.
  9. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    It’s the little things people remember that they know mattered to others when those people pass. Whomever buried Padme knew this necklace from Anakin mattered to her, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gobi-1, RavagerFish and Shaak Ti like this.
  10. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Yeah, but if it isn’t physically used for some galaxy-altering purpose, it shouldn’t be in there!

11. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    There’s always something to complain about I guess.

EARLIER
    “It’s like they didn’t even care about Han at all! Luke and Leia don’t even reference him! It’s like Lucasfilm doesn’t even care about Han Solo at all!”

NOW
    “What’s with all this time spent showing that Force item that Luke manifested for Leia and Ben that Han had with him most of his life?”

12. Darryl Cooper

Feb 9, 2017
    I'm not complaining, if anything I'm just confused as to why Hasbro include the dice aspect in the Sabacc card game they are releasing.

13. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    I wasn’t referring to you specifically. Just general discussions I’ve seen online about small details like this.

Darryl Cooper likes this.
  14. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    It has significance to him, so therefore it's in there as a major possession. I think we all can say the same thing about something in our lives that holds personal significance to us.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  15. Tyrian

Tyrian Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 5, 2000
    Wouldnt be surprised if the dice had a different meaning in Lord and Millers version.

People laugh, but thats pretty much how things comes across in the film. Someone demanded they be put in, and deliver multiple shots showing them.... for no apparent reason other than a ham-fisted 'they're my lucky charm!' explanation. Was a missed opportunity for something a little more compelling.

mirrorbright likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just a PSA. This thread was accidentally labeled “Rogue One.”

17. Darryl Cooper

Feb 9, 2017
    I did realise that, couldn't figure out how to change it.

18. Darryl Cooper

Feb 9, 2017
    Both the The Last Jedi novelisation and the The Force Awakens Visual Dictionary both claim that Han did use the dice....the TLJ novel only came out recently as well.

19. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    The dice being used to win the Falcon was not just a rumor. They are listed as being used in the game Han won the Falcon from Lando in The TFA visual dictionary.

20. Ender_and_Bean

May 19, 2002
    Looks like they’re retconning it as a tall tale / rumor and that he just likely had them on him when he won.

21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    All the newly added emphasis on the dice is baffling to me. I don’t hate it but...why? Why so much dice attention now?

22. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017
    Ever since TLJ made a big deal out of them and people are wondering why they were so important to begin with since it was barely seen in the Millennium Falcon.

23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s a good luck charm and it instantly defines Han in a visual way. Like Indy’s hat. Not a big deal.

24. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Instantly defines Han...forty years after he was introduced to audiences.[face_thinking]

PendragonM and Bor Mullet like this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Just a nice visual flourish. You know, it's a movie. With visual stuff in it.

Eternal_Jedi likes this.