main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Digital/Blu-Ray Release of Solo: A Star Wars Story - Sept.14/Sept. 25

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jul 18, 2018.

1. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Yes I was around in the 80’s. I know the wait for video was longer, but so was the theatrical run. I’m itching to see Solo again, if it was the 80s I could nip to the local cinema.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This is true, fair point. I find very sad how nowadays, the first three weeks are so critical for the Box Office.

3. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah, we are talking about 20-year-old technology. Even my GF's grandpa upgraded to Blu-ray by this point. For the very few people out there who don't care about quality presentation, they can just go with a digital copy that's at least 1080 if not now days 4K on a lot of the iTunes releases. Heck, they upgraded (for free) my 1080p copies to 4K where available which is awesome! I noticed that about a month ago, I was so excited. I know streaming quality is never as good as disc quality but sometimes you're lazy and you got your Apple TV remote in your hand and just want the immediate gratification.

It made a ton of sense to sell DVD / Blu-ray combos a decade ago when people were just getting Blu-ray players, because then if you didn't have one yet, you basically "future proofed" your purchase by getting the combo pack. It also made sense because some people still had old laptops with DVD players, so they could throw in the DVD on their laptop and watch their Blu-ray at home. But in 2018 that is simply not reality for literally anyone I know. My GF was 2-3 years old when DVD first hit the market, I think, at least I believe 1996 was my first DVD and by 2000 I already had a fairly large collection. The technology is REALLY old by this point, so why would they bundle DVDs with anything?!

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I rip the DVDs to my ipod classic and at work I have a DVD player in my laptop, that's why I want one bundled with the blu ray hahahah

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I love your posts Bowen, admire your zeal for seeing movies dozens of times in theater, and usually agree with your outlook about this stuff.

DVD is not dead. I know too many people who still watch that format for a number of solid reasons or are just oblivious to the difference in quality.

The main reason DVD is not dead or even dying is no one is actively trying to kill it on the production side. There was a concerted push from manufacturers to stop making VHS tapes as quickly as possible because DVDs were significantly cheaper to make, ship, and sell. That meant bigger profits. DVD also took up less space than VHS which meant more product to sell in the same amount of physical space.

There has never been a concerted effort on the sales side of home video to kill DVD. Even BluRay 3D is in the process of being killed off. But not DVD. Backward compatibility with BluRay players and now 4K players only ensures the continued longevity of DVDs. And looking at this globally DVD is still huge seller. That's another reason why it's not a dead format.

So even if your 18 year old girl friend's 56 year old grand father made the switch, my 102 year old great gramma doesn't even know what DVDs are but she does remember the Civil War... But who can forget the 2016 Marvel classic with Captain America and Iron Man that introduced the world to MCU Spiderman.

In closing, I admire you sweaty zeal to kill DVD, but globally DVD is still thriving and still very much the #1 format for home video.

Fingers crossed 4K can catch on and isn't the very last physical home video format.

6. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Bloody hell, is DVD really that old? Maybe we got it later in the UK. I think it was about 1999 or maybe even 2000 when we got the technology. I remember me and my brother seeing a DVD stand in a shop and wondering what the hell it was.

7. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Not killing DVD was the industry's biggest mistake. Now they will be completely at the mercy of the streaming services, like Netflix and Disney.

If all studios think they can release their streaming service and compete with Netflix and Disney, well, they are wrong. There are only so many services that people will be willing to subscribe to, and I have a guess that 2 is the most. So Netflix with original content, and Disney reigning on the movie streaming.

Which is sad because streaming adds lots of compression.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The first DVD I ever got was The Phantom Menace. It really is that old. [face_hypnotized]

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hell I got Phantom Menace on VHS before the DVD because they put it out on VHS first and the DVD didn't hit until before Attack of the Clones (the DVD actually added more shots / racer introductions).

Guess Solo will be the first star war I don't have on DVD, boo.

10. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    How is blu ray 3d getting killed off? I just pre ordered solo 3D blu ray.

Sab Jo likes this.
  11. Ricardo Funes

Dec 18, 2015
    Try to find a new 3D TV.... :(

12. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Do they not really sell them anymore? I got mine in 2012.

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    No 3D TVs are being made today. Between 2014 and January 2017 all manufactures stopped. You can still get 3D projectors.

3D discs are also being phased out. A lot of 3D Blu Ray titles are no longer released in the United States. Disney has stopped with 3D in the US.

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    With the success of TLJ on home video, it will be very interesting to see how Solo does.

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    W
    Is there any sort of general corollary between Box Office Gross and Home Video Sales? Some movies are bigger hits at home than in theaters. Fingers Crossed for Solo!

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    First deleted scene from Solo released. Definitely feeling some Lord and Miller influence here.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  17. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    Shiny new Maul pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Zoomed in look at Maul

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  19. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
  20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Darth Maul's Robot Legs Revealed In New 'Solo: A Star Wars Story' Pics; Ray Park Speaks

With a $392 million worldwide gross, Solo: A Star Wars Story might have been a hit, had it not cost $275 million to make, with a mid-stream change in directors responsible for more cost overruns than most Star Wars features. However, the switch from Chris Miller and Phil Lord to Ron Howard did lead to at least one fan-favorite moment onscreen: the return of Ray Park's Maul (no longer a "Darth," per the animated series continuity) in a surprise cameo that may or may not set up future films. "I found out last June/July when we were in Guatemala," he tells me, a time which, unbeknownst to him, coincided with Howard stepping into the director's chair. "I got the phone call from Lynne Hale from Lucasfilm. And it was really nice of her, because she said to me 'Ray, we're just calling to see if you would like to do it.' And I went [inhales slowly] 'Yeah. Do you want me on the plane now?'” He ended up filming in October, towards the end of production.

In the Clone Wars and Rebels animated shows, Maul survived being cut in half at the end of The Phantom Menace, and made a comeback with robotic legs, though in Solo, you only see his upper body in a hologram. Now, in support of Solo's upcoming release on Movies Anywhere (Sept. 14th) and Blu-ray and 4K (Sept. 25th), Lucasfilm has released images of Ray Park in full Maul costume with the robot legs.

Park actually blatantly spoiled his own cameo well ahead of time, but because fans were so focused on the idea of him being in an Obi-Wan Kenobi movie, nobody really guessed he meant Solo. "I may have deleted a bunch, but if you go back and check all my Instagram posts, I was secretly telling everyone, but no-one knew."

And by "secretly" he means posts like this one, with the caption, "Now... I wonder why i shaved my hair a wee while ago? #sith #sithlife #secrets #baldy #cleanshaved #starwars #solo #maul #surprise #london #besttime #thankyou."

Unlike in The Phantom Menace, where as a choreographer he was given the entire script, this time he had only his lines and "a couple of sheets of what was going on beforehand, and then what was happening, and it's pretty cool, because Sam [Witwer] did the voice and it was a different process for me. It was hearing the voice and then acting as well, so I really enjoyed this experience." He was particularly fond of his lightsaber upgrade, even though all he does in the movie is ignite it. But "if anything ever happens in the future and the character is back, and it's me? I have a lot of great ideas of what I'd like to do with it."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/luketh...4k-dvd-the-last-jedi-ron-howard/#6801dff619c3

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Looks good! Maul is so skinny on Rebels. Here he's bulked up. Rough ten years.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
  23. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    How in the hell did no one here catch this? :p

25. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    They actually released that scene as an official clip? i am surprised they did that.

I guess they were very aware of how much buzz that surprise scene got.