main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Digital/Blu-Ray Release of Solo: A Star Wars Story - Sept.14/Sept. 25

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , Jul 18, 2018.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Congrats on your new SW shelf decoration. :p

Darkslayer and TCF-1138 like this.
  2. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    It is still a very gloomy movie visually though. Even the snow planet where the Conveyex scenes are shot are gloomy. I think that a much brighter production overall would have made for a better film. Oh well.

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Do not care for the Steelbook box art, but still getting it lol.

Guidman likes this.
  4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Completely disagree. Love the 70s, retro mean streets look. Very appropriate for the subject matter. And the home version isn't subject to projector whims, so it looks very sharp.

5. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Yeah. Too dark is not the same thing as gloomy. I saw Solo projected right, and there are low light scenes but you can make out what is going on and I though it looked really great. Really set a tone. I also saw Solo projected where everything was washed out and flat and you could not make out what was on screen. That was when it was projected too dark.

Can't wait to see this at home tomorrow!!!

Leoluca Randisi and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Release day is here, and its seems the marketing is nonexistent. WM might have an exclusive, but its not being mentioned / promoted. Usually there are displays in the front of stores, including other merch, but it appears the toy maker, Hasbro, doesn't even have their home release action figure multipack out for the movie release today...

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Ron Howard...you and I will be working much more closely...from now on.

[​IMG]

8. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This complete lack of basic marketing understanding seems to be a recurrent theme with the way Disney and LFL are handling SW releases.
    They are not capable of making a coordinated push in several fronts, intsead they think their pathetic youtube and facebook posts are driving sales.
    My outsider impression is that LFL and Disney SW execs must be living in a bubble.

Yes, today I am short on patience, but yet another stealth SW release? These things will not sell just because they have SW in the title.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  9. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Just got my copy (Blue Ray) this morning. Even though Im planning on purchasing a 4K player, I couldn't wait, so Ill buy the 4k version when I get that!

And to all those comments about the movie being dark and gloomy. I for one love its look and feel. Much more in line with the original trilogy, RO and to a certain extent TFA. Thank goodness it was nothing like the shiny, colorful, everything is brand spanking new and pretty look of the prequels.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I got mine today... will be adding it to the SW section of my Blu-ray/DVD shelf this evening, and I added the digital code to my MoviesAnywhere account. Looking forward to watching Solo again. :cool:

Darth Chiznuk and TCF-1138 like this.
  11. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    I stopped in the local Target to grab it this morning (10:30am)...and they didn’t have it! Their shipment hadn’t arrived yet. :(

12. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    It was a dark film so was Empire Strikes Back I am not having a problem with my digital copy.

on another note I woke up super early to get the Best Buy tin set and the Target exclusive with the book they look beautiful! Walmart didn't have an exclusive so I didn't get one from Walmart.

as for marketing my mom was watching the Fox Network last night she said every commercial break they had an ad for The Han Solo Blu-ray.

13. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I checked a couple stores, and WM only had discs in the electronics department, while Target at least had a display in the front of the store. There was zero cross promotion though. For TLJ they at least put out action figures and other merch to draw in customers - not a thing for Solo. I get that it didn't do well in theaters, and the home release probably wont, but they should make an effort, considering how well TLJ did in home release. Some marketing might help reduce its flop status.

For TLJ I purchased the Target exclusive, and it was great - BR, DVD, bonus disc and a book. That exclusive also sold very well on opening day of release. For Solo, I bought the basic BR and it looked like only a couple others were missing from the display. Still ticked that there isn't a BR / DVD combo, as I'm not buying the DVD separately.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well I got my exclusives at Target and Best Buy both stores had signs and Blu-rays up front signs outside as well! I checked a Walmart across town that was fully stocked of Blu-rays but my mom went into our local Walmart up the street and they had absolutely nothing. Hard to judge force Friday last tear in Southwest Florida because we were dealing with a Hurricane so they never stocked the shelves because of the storm I got most of my TLJ Swag at Disney Springs in Orlando!

this is what I got,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    When Lucasfilm was it's own company each new release was a major event with all focus on it for up to a year. And nothing that big and new would come out again for next two or three years. We saw amazing tie ins and a unified push on all fronts.

Disney has a new big release every couple weeks - either in theaters or the home video encore of a movie. By the time the new movie is out, they are already promoting what's next. Those birds have to be air born as soon as they hatch. If the product doesn't make money, then move over, the next one is just 21 days away. It's sink or swim.

16. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I know, those days were fun. Ever since ROTS, I've been picking up the discs the day of release, and there has been other tie-ins to go with the home release of the movie, until Solo. This was the first time I thought about not picking up the Blu Ray immediately, simply because of the piss poor marketing and lack of excitement. I had a giftcard burning a hole in my pocket though, so I grabbed it. :p

17. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    are there any forum members who didn't see the film in the theater but bought the Blu-ray or are planning on buying the Blu-ray? And for those of you seeing the film for the first time what do you think of it?

as to the Marketing I wonder is this a Lucasfilm problem or Walmart problem? the most grievous offender here not selling the discs is Walmart? Like I said The Fox Network on September 24th marketed the hell out of the Blu-ray and Target and Best Buy were well stocked.

This Is the mentality that got a poor box office for Solo even though the movie was excellent. If you haven't seen the film or even if you have you really should buy the Blu-ray if not for nothing the documentary and featurettes are worth it alone!

18. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Don't try to blame other fans for the poor box office. I saw it twice in the theater and bought it on BR, some didn't see it at all, and don't care to. It suffered because it was too much too soon after TLJ, the story wasn't epic or nearly as exciting as previous movies, and some fans simply had no interest in seeing a younger version of Han played by someone else. I don't think the movie was excellent, but it was good and entertaining for what it is. Each fan can decide for themselves.

ZodaEX likes this.
  19. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    Picked up my target 4k exclusive today. Passed on the steelbook. Just not a fan of it. I'll probably end up importing a steenbok from another country sometime.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I agree with too much to soon as a factor to why it didn't do good. but most people including me who saw the film loved it quality had nothing to do with it. how could you know if a film is good or not if you haven't seen it?:rolleyes: but I feel like there were other factors as well the backlash from TLJ even though IMHO I believe most fans loved TLJ the people who didn't care for it were the Loud minority. also poor Marketing we could have used a third trailer and more TV Spots way more TV Spots. also did we even get a BTS Reel?

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    Watched the Target Exclusive Falcon Documentary commercial for the main attraction in the new Disney Star Wars park. It's fine. A bit annoying having to jump through so many hoops of redeeming the Movies Anywhere code on a computer. Then having to download the app version to a phone, cause the extra content can only be unlocked from the mobil app. Then entering a second code into the phone app. Only then can you the feature on your phone or via the website. But it doesn't appear to show up in iTunes. Lame.

But the doc was okay. Super heavy on footage from the four Disney Star Wars movies. Hondo Onaka makes a welcomed surprise appearance! I don't mind things being heavy on the 4 most recent movies. The focus won't stay on those for long and looking back it will be a reminder of this period of being a fan. But who is going to watch an commercial for next year's theme park that you can only watch through an app. Oh well.

It's no movie with just John Williams score and no dialogue or sound effects. But the Millennium Falcon Ride Disney is make looks phenomenal.

22. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I didn't see it in theaters and I didn't get the DVD, but I did watch it for the first time on the plane this evening. It was a lot of fun. I kind of liked the fact that it was just a simple adventure that didn't strive to be anything bigger than that. Sometimes a fun adventure is all I'm in the mood for.

23. BadAcrobat

BadAcrobat Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2015
    Picked up my copy last night, and watched the bonus disc/features. Excellent! The extended scene/fight between Han and Chewie when they first meet is stuff of legend. The theatrical release of the movie definitely brought out the 'violent' and 'animal' side of Chewbacca, but what was (regrettably) cut, was nothing short of amazing. I so wish they had went with the whole thing! The Snowball fight is also fun, but can understand why it was cut!

I still absolutely LOVE this movie, right up there with Rogue One sitting behind TESB and ANH as my favorite 4.

24. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The official site just posted this slipcover you can print for the Blu-ray. My question is, why wasn't this the theatrical poster and official Blu-ray cover to begin with?

[​IMG]

Twain, EHT and Ricardo Funes like this.
  25. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    This has a cartoon vibe that I quite enjoy. Matches this film as Solo feels like it never had the ambition to be taken too seriously.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018