main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016

Well it does look strange.

Jordan1Kenobi and Gamiel like this.
  2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    No Man's Sky: The Movie?

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Lightyear explanation but then it gets way more nerdier with the director. Technically, Andy's Buzz Toy is based upon a Real Ghostbusters / Droids / Ewoks style Lightyear animated series spin-off, which makes enough sense inasmuch that Toy Story Buzz sounds like Woody Allen and not Chris Evans

I know I’m getting in the weeds a bit but you just said you just wanted to make a cool sci-fi movie. But is it supposed to be a sci-fi movie from the lens of 1995?
    Angus MacLane: Well, okay. I don’t want to pull out the nerd card. Actually, technically, Andy received Buzz Lightyear in 1995. The movie is not specified as from 1995. The movie I imagine is actually from 1986, maybe 1985. So it’s a little earlier. He saw the movie on VHS a lot. And then after that movie, maybe there were other movies, but then there was a TV show. Like Ghostbusters. You know? Then The Real Ghostbusters. And then The Real Ghostbusters had their own toy line with Kenner.

I had those, yes.
    Angus MacLane: Andy’s Buzz Lightyear is from The Real Ghostbusters. But that’s even harder to say at the beginning of the film. Luckily, we have our 15 minutes, so I can get into the weeds with you. But if you really want to know…

I do.
    Angus MacLane: That’s the lineage. It’s like Droids or Ewoks to Return of the Jedi. It’s like a little different.

So Tim Allen is the Lorenzo Music of Buzz Lightyear? Because Lorenzo Music did the Peter Venkman voice. And then I believe he was replaced by Dave Coulier in the third season…
    Angus MacLane: In subsequent seasons. But Lorenzo Music is perhaps most famous for what?

Well, Garfield.
    Angus MacLane: He was Garfield, but he was also on Alice.

I think it was Rhoda.
    Angus MacLane: On Rhoda! Anyway, great voice actor. And there was the 2D animated Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. Even that was a different voice. Like, the toy is often not voiced by the actor.

Right. Robert Downey Jr. is not doing Iron Man toy voices.
    Angus MacLane: Jim Hanks does the Woody dolls. There’s a little bit of a different. Because the toy world is so first and foremost in my mind, there’s a lot of that, that’s a truth that we were playing with. More than any of that, Buzz is a different character. From this standpoint, he was a side character in Toy Story. He’s a main character in this and he has to do different things. He’s not the comic relief. He’s humorous, but he’s not the source of comedy the way he is in Toy Story. Like Sox or Izzy, the side characters, how they bounce off of Buzz is where the comedy comes from. So Buzz has to carry more emotional and dramatic weight.

So Lightyear came out in 1986. In Andy’s world, is Lightyear the biggest movie of 1986?
    Angus MacLane: Not to Andy. Andy likes Aliens maybe a little bit more. But then it’s right after Aliens, I would say. I’m sure you find it fascinating. But Aliens is pretty awesome.

(Also fun reference in the interview that even though Aliens is owned by Disney now they STILL have to clear it with legal)
    Well, Disney owns Aliens now, so…
    Angus MacLane: It turns out when the same company owns the property, you still have to go through legal.
    Galyn Susman: Oh yeah.
    Angus MacLane: Oh yeah. So the very direct Aliens references in this film were cleared through the legal departments of both Disney and 20th Century Fox.

Why would that be necessary?
    Angus MacLane: I don’t know. But boy, was it hilarious to me. I was like, how many hours can you bill having the same company talk to itself? That was pretty exciting.
    Galyn Susman: That might actually be why, now that you said it.

Or maybe they have to ask James Cameron or something like that?
    Angus MacLane: Yeah. That might be the case.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  4. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Who's going to play Meg? It's a shame they can't get Lauren Bacall.

Bacon164 likes this.
  6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Zendaya, probably

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So is a lesbian kiss even in Lightyear? There's a moment when Buzz comes back and sees his friend and her wife and their child but I don't remember a kiss, just kinda affectionate close hug. Did the edited Saudi Arabia/China cut end up in Hamilton Ontario Canada for some reason?

Lightyear is super fun, by the way.

Anyway it's trending towards a 50+ million opening which is high for a family movie during the pandemic but not enough to take down the Jurassic World Dinosaurs. Also deadline kind of speculating the the fast turnaround to D+ (and the fact that the last few Pixar movies were D+ exclusives) may be causing people to wait. I know when I was watching I sorta thought, can't wait to see it again in about 5 weeks on D+!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  8. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Nah, the kiss is there, it's just a second or two on screen.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  9. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    And that’s what offends people these days? Crazy. I’m looking forward to seeing this film. Looks super fun.

10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Lightyear was fun. I caught a few funny nods and references to the original Toy Story, but I haven't seen that in many years, so I ought to give it another look and see what else I missed.

11. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Zoe Saldana maybe?

PCCViking likes this.
  13. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    A few things,
    1. I was really pleasantly surprised at Chip And Dale it was like a modern day take on Roger Rabbit even with a Roger Rabbit cameo! I loved all the different studio cartoon characters showing up even Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera!

2. I have loved all the Disney Live Action Remakes a lot!

3. Saw Lightyear yesterday loved it! Was it the most emotional best Pixar movie No but it was a fun popcorn film with a good story emotional at times and great Animation! I live in Florida I didn't see a Gay Kiss. I haven't seen a Pixar film since before the COVID pandemic so this was special for me! My first Pixar film in the theater was The Incredibles to see The Revenge of The Sith teaser trailer on the big screen, I was blown away by the Incredibles and haven't missed a Pixar movie in the theater since 2004 until COVID hit.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  14. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I'm starting to think the plot of Lightyear maybe doesn't stand up to scrutiny all too well.
    When Zurg first grabs the hyperspace fuel, you'd think he has everything he needs for his nefarious plan. And yet, he comes back and grabs his younger self. What exactly does he need him for? I don't believe it is really essential to his plan, which relies mostly on just having the necessary power source. Capturing him only creates a liability. Zurg had his powerful ship and could just have gotten away before anyone had a chance to come after him.

15. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    The new Baymax mini series released yesterday on Disney+

I binged all 6 episodes and thought it was super fun! Brought back great memories of Big Hero 6, which is one of my absolute favourite animated Disney films. Baymax is hilarious as usual.

16. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I’m watching BayMax the series now. It’s very well done. Baymax is working as an inflatable medical robot - his programmed purpose. And it’s covering some unexpected topics. I’m watching the third episode. It’s actually sort of weird we don’t get more media about this.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  17. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    It’s no surprise that a bunch of grown men have been reviewing bombing and labelled this show as “woke” and “propaganda”.

They’re literally spending time out of their day to type out arguments online over a kids Baymax mini series. Laughably pathetic.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Great little show. It’s basically an hour long mini-movie made up of episodic medical help stories that culminate with all the new characters coming together at the end linking evert thing as one bigger story.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  19. Jordan1Kenobi

Sep 30, 2012
    Almost caught up to date with Disney animation! Just watched Turning Red and I was shocked at how good it was. Thought it was even better than Encanto.

It was energetic, funny and creative, with some of the best animation to date. The characters definitely helped make it as enjoyable as it was.

Love they got Ludwig Goransson for the score too. His style worked really well.

This is definitely something I can see myself coming back to over the years and enjoying it every single time.

I think this film deserves to be mentioned when talking about Disney’s best animated projects. Definitely not way up in the top 5 or anything crazy like that, but in the 10-20 seems fair.

8.5/10

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    FIFY

21. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Get ready for yet another version of Disney's Beauty and the Beast

Bacon164 likes this.
  22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They should cast Christopher Walken for Gaston and also every other part.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  23. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Would definitely watch if they did.

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    It’s the Broadway play, which is undeniably impressive, so this has the potential to be very, very good.

Bacon164 likes this.
  25. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Admittedly I haven't watched all the ABC LIVE musicals, but from what I've read they have been a very mixed bag. You can get something really great, or something that goes sideways in embarrassing ways. Doing this live while presumably still having Covid precautions makes it a little bit more risky, imho.
    But, sure, there's definitely the potential it would be good.