main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Yep. In fact, the bookseller lets her keep one of the books she borrows because she says how much she likes it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    He literally owns the only house in the village while everyone else is stuck in the squalor of the town

3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Borrow books from what? There's no public library in medieval Europe. In the sixteenth century--far after this tale--the literacy rate was something around 16%. That she is even able to read at all is a mark of incredible wealth and privilege. Between her and the Beast, I would be wholly unsurprised if she was the richer of the two.

Do you know what kind of people get gifted things that everyone else has to pay for? Incredibly wealthy ones that people hope will influence others to patronize their stores.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
    Bacon164 likes this.
  4. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    Actually the story takes place in the 18th century Wocky

Sarge likes this.
  5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    And despite any "wealth," both in the animated and live action movies, Belle was seen as odd for reading. In the animated movie, it was more of a curiosity by villagers, whereas in the live action, their opinions were more hostile in nature.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think you're trying way too hard Wocky.
    Historical accuracy is not something most movie studios, let alone Disney, are known for.
    Belle is clearly not wealthy, people either like her or are indifferent to her because she's beautiful and interested in doing more with her life.
    Gaston has the money to bribe someone into agreeing to take her father away, if Belle is so well-off why couldn't she pay the same guy to go away?

Sarge, Iron_lord and PCCViking like this.
  7. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    I do think TLM and Aladdin feel a bit too formulaic and them and BatB the protagonist isn't very appealing, BatB also some of the songs come off as overdone and/or obligatory.

8. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I can see that. Half the appeal for TLM was it being a return to form for Disney after the 70s and 80s.

I was never that enamored with Aladdin. The Lion King I didn’t appreciate until many years later.

It’s interesting how the plot for Beauty and the Beast is a ‘tale as old as time’ yet today it is clearly a toxic relationship. How would that story be handled today?

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Weren't those statistics entirely for Latin - with people's literacy rates in their own language being much higher?

PCCViking likes this.
  10. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    There's a great podcast called That Aged Well where they rewatch movies of the 80's and 90's and tell you why they don't age well. They have done most of the Disney 90's movies, it's hilarious. If you have time, give them a listen.

11. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I never said you didn't have to like them. I didn't even say they weren't great movies. Although I get the impression you feel very offended by me merely saying I think they feel dated based on animation style, music, song choices, Intro of 3D cgi...and yes...some of the moral and narrative themes.

My four year kid picked up on the issue with Beauty and the Beast. For all that inner beauty, he still turns back into a 'real beauty' in the end. Right? My son said he liked Beast better as a beast and was confused why he had to turn back into a man. He saw the Beast as beautiful no matter what his form. The movie does not say this. It says the human form is even better, because beasts are ugly, and because the human form reflects his so called inner beauty. Beasts are beautiful too, ya know.

See? dated.

And that's ignoring the other issues that the story has. Same for Little Mermaid. I take some issue with a story that tells girls that need give up their voice, or who they are, so they can enter a man's world, in order to have a man fall in love with them. Dated as hell.

Yes, all movies are going to have issues based on the times in which they were made. Disney, included. They are not above criticism, even of the mildest form that I offered.

Bacon164 and Runjedirun like this.
  12. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Updated version of The Little Mermaid where she finds a copy of The Shape of Water and realizes that the prince might still fall for her even if she’s a fish.

BigAl6ft6 and DarkGingerJedi like this.
  13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Or she’s finds a DVD box set of Futurama and finds out how it doesn’t work.

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    In small defense of Disney, he had to turn back into a human so that it wasn't bestiality. If the original curse had just made him ugly, I would be fine leaving him as is.

15. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Everyone has personal choice based off many factors, but I tend to appreciate the artwork and production design in these pictures the most of all; even above story or music etc..

And having narrowed that down, it would be Golden and Silver age pictures for me. Due to the overall production design, artwork, and animation styles.

Snow White, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Alice In Wonderland, and Sleeping Beauty for example. The latter picture has some of the most amazing background designs ever, imo.

The artists that worked on those pictures are incredibly talented and I have great admiration for their creative skills.

grd4 likes this.
  16. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    idk about this one, pretty much any adaptation of that fairy tale has left audiences finding the Prince's form off-putting + missing the original form of the Beast, prompting the audience (even as young as 4) to think critically about the relationship between inner and outer beauty. while the screenplay could do more to bring this to the surface, it has the same effect when rendered as pure subtext. I'd say the film in this regard is a clunky triumph.

i think its stance on attachment theory is even clunkier tho.

17. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Has he seen Shrek? I'm curious how he reacted in comparison to B&B.

18. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    ****ing Shrek

BigAl6ft6 and Todd the Jedi like this.
  19. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    No Shrek. Not yet.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

It's SO bad.

Who is still here from the time period where I was known here for how much I hate Shrek?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  21. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    it literally destroyed the animation medium

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Titan AE was flopping hard before people even knew what Shrek was.

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    yeah, the problem isn't that shrek flopped. it's that it didn't.

24. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Titan AE sounds like it’s probably the name of some third tier football (soccer) club.

25. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    The name of a future Elon Musk offspring.