main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. BlankEquestrian

BlankEquestrian Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 20, 2021
    What’s wrong with Shrek? It’s subversive, witty, stylish, and Eddie Murphy is Eddie Murphy, which is to say he’s brilliant. And, funnily enough, its ending actually rectifies the problem outlined above with Beauty and the Beast’s ending. And Fahrquad’s insignia essentially being the Facebook logo goes in my “clues from the simulation” file.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2023
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Giving up her voice didn't get her what she wanted though - she "fails the challenge" (because Ursula cheats). What gets her the permanent transformation is Triton's change of heart.

Triton probably undergoes the most character development for the better in the movie - not Eric or Ariel.

Gamiel likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Bacon is really well-informed about the film industry and cares about his broader trends. This leads him to sometimes support stuff that is completely intolerably terrible if he thinks it will help the overall health of the art form. See also: his endorsement of Avatar.

4. BlankEquestrian

BlankEquestrian Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 20, 2021
    So is this the part where I, a known James Cameron fanboy, am supposed to stridently charge forward and indignantly try to explain why Avatar Is Actually Awesome while everyone points and laughs?

5. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    why does everyone think I like Shrek? i hate it and its embrace of lazy irony and ****** 3D animation, it singlehandedly ushered in a permanent dark age for animation.

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid and tom like this.
  6. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Disney was better when it was doing 2D animated musicals. Now that it's doing computer animated movies, it's just a dime a dozen.

7. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    Beauty and the Beast is set in Medieval times? I thought it was at the earliest 1600s. Gaston has a blunderbuss. The art style largely takes inspiration from the Ichabod segment of Ichabod and Mr.Toad. That’s a colonial America story. I thought Beauty and the Beast was set at similar time period in France.

I mean it’s a fantasy version of rural France, but it’s clearly after thr time of knights.

Shrek. Woof. There was an arts festival near me that Smashmouth played as a free concert. The internet wanted to use the show to set a world record of the largest gathering of people dressed like Shrek.

So few people showed up it didn’t even set the record.

ChatGPT’s punched up version of my comment.

Recently, a local arts festival featured a free concert by Smashmouth, and the internet buzzed with excitement about a proposed world record attempt for the largest gathering of people dressed like Shrek. Unfortunately, despite the hype, the turnout was disappointingly low, and the attempt fell short of setting a new record. It seems that the dream of breaking this particular record will have to wait for another day.

8. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Shrek does have a good twist on the Beauty and the Beast story .

9. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    its literally set in the year 1740 if we want to get specific

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    why

why do you know that

11. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Beauty and the Beast is one of the greatest films ever made, but yeah, the ending never quite lands for me.

My ideal ending: the Beast succumbs to his injuries, Belle whispers "I love you", the spell is broken, the servants revert back to human form, the Beast's body transforms to that of the Prince, Belle cradles this new body (sobbing but grateful), flash-forward to Belle and her father bidding adieu to the Castle and heading out to the road to Paris for a new adventure (allowing her an escape from "this provincial life").

Bacon164 likes this.
  12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Heartily disagree. For the most part there's a ton of care and development poured into the 3D features they've made. John Lasseter (setting aside his creepy personal issues) really propelled Disney Animation to reach the highest highs they could, and even without him they're continuing to really push the envelope with their features. Sure some will still be cookie cutter, but the same can be said for plenty of the earlier 2D films as well.

Not saying one is better than the other, but the approaches developmentally are largely the same. YMMV on quality, but IMO the best of their 3D features hold up against some of the best of their 2D features.

13. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    They both become beasts at the end?

What do you think happens after the ending we got? What does 1741 look like for Belle and the Beast? (Whats the Beast’s real name?)

14. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I mean it looks like the Beast is dead in that version.

15. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The Beast changes back because that was the condition of the curse.
    If he had not changed back, he would be dooming his staff to a life of living as ornaments because they were cursed alongside him.

The transformation is more about being a bad person. He was punished because he wasn't good, when he learned to love and be loved in return he was restored.

I also don't get this hate for Shrek.
    The success of that franchise finally gave Disney some competition.
    DreamWorks produced Kung Fu Panda & How to Train Your Dragon, without Shrek's success it would have been much harder to get those made and compete with the likes of Pixar

Sarge, Gamiel and Iron_lord like this.
  16. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    omg nvmd

17. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    It just comes down to personal taste. The ending of Beauty and the Beast works for 99.999% of viewers, I'm sure; I just happen to be a sucker for bittersweet/melancholic endings to romances. I'd rather see Belle's story conclude with suffering the loss of the love of her life, but triumphant in having saved his soul and the lives of the servants. The whole Belle-as-princess thing leaves me a bit unsatisfied.

But, again, I'm just kvetching over a masterpiece. Beauty stands as the crown jewel of the 90s Renaissance.

Bacon164 likes this.
  18. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    waiting 4 Richie to regurgitate the text or basic facts of the film without actually addressing what you're saying.

19. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i don't understand the hate for shrek, its success gave us so much more of the thing you hate!

20. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I have to admit I’m not following the Shrek killed animation line of thought quite as clearly as the MCU killing cinema one.

SithLordDarthRichie and Sarge like this.
  21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Especially since animation is still great, often outperforming live action in consistent quality for the last 2 decades.

I'm not personally a fan of CG animation over hand drawn (though that has limitations), but it's here to stay and as long as the stories are good I'm not bothered how stuff looks

22. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    thanks for your contribution

23. CLee

CLee Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 18, 2017
    Liked Shrek, I thought while not great it was good and it worked as, as it was marketed as, the greatest fairy tale never before (or before would be) told. I think most of the best comedies are good because or when the non-comedy elements are also good (80-95% of the Shrek sequels tried to get buy on just being funny/ironic and so fell flat).

I think not it or Toy Story but them plus Ice Age and Finding Nemo did kill off traditional animation, also it was that Titan A.E. and Atlantis and other traditional animation movies around that time were trying to go more for serious action-adventure for tween boys, which I liked but most tween/teen boys didn't, they weren't into sci fi generally or had grown out of animation and weren't ready to give it another chance and/or saw it as only still good when it went really comedy/parody (and CGI animation, I guess in big part because of Shrek but also Ice Age, was associated with being parody).

24. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    It’s basically the same picture: over reliance on irony and mediocre craft, but also because after the success of Shrek, Dreamworks chose to focus on 3D animation and had further hits, Disney countered by also relying on 3D animation and an entire medium was destroyed for all time. I hate Shrek.

tom likes this.
  25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, you articulated that better than I could.
    The cast does overall feel the part… just not sure about Peter, his voice is just a little too old/deep for Peter Pan but we’ll see.

edit:

On the Shrek debate. It did spark some needed shakeup. It obviously filled a craving from the audience.

But I can see some ripple effects I don’t like. For example the way the narration at the beginning/end of Tangled just really breaks immersion for some snarky meta commentary. Emperor’s new groove was a bigger culprit of immersion-breaking, and I think that was before Shrek. But yeah. I like immersion, and a fairy tale that takes the important parts seriously. Frozen handled the meta commentary much better.

I also miss beautiful 2D Disney animation. I liked the original idea of Tangled/Rapunzel as a living oil painting.

grd4 and Gamiel like this.