main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    [face_laugh]

3. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
  4. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    Wasn't the Disney Acquisition of 20th Century Fox supposed to go official today? when do we get a press release?

5. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I am seeing Mary Poppins at 6:00PM tonight with my parents we are leaving for the theater at 5:00PM after the movie we are going for Dinner at Longhorn steak house! I will let you all know what I thought of the movie after I see it...

6. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    It's expected to finalize sometime early this year, after it clears some international oversight.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I Also went to see Mary Poppins Returns today with Two Other people. we went at 4PM at the Local cineplex. We then went and Had dinner at Louise's Restaurant on White Plains Road in the Bronx at 9PM. I had to Shoot both of these people because One of them tried to murder my Father he is now in the hospital and the Other one was a corrupt police Chief and he Broke my jaw but i won't get it fixed just Yet. I am now on a airplane Flight to Sicily to hide. Shhhhhh

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    hey Will Smith doing a theme song for a movie is something he hasn't done in, like, 15 years or so? I'm just happy for that.

9. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    some Fox executives said it would go final January 1st just wondering what happened where was the press release did I miss it or something?

I really liked Mary Poppins I thought It was really Magical and Loved the musical numbers, my favorite the last musical number with Lin Manuel Miranda the Trip The Light Fantastic song! @I Are The Internets That is some story care to elaborate?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  10. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    They weren't talking about the overall deal being finalized but rather their particular departments (like payroll and whatnot) would be ready to transfer over on Jan 1st.

11. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    look you may be right but if you don't mind me asking how do you know that? I read articles about it that is not what I took away from the articles.

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
  13. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Hopefully NBC News meets your trusted sources.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/disney-verizon-headed-blackout-battle-n952026

It has to gain approval in every country the companies operate in. They're waiting for some foreign countries to approve it.

14. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    well yea NBC is a really good news source but it barely slips in that the deal goes official in the last week of January haven't we been down this road before?

then there is this,
    https://www.newsweek.com/disney-20th-century-fox-deal-layoffs-merger-1163234
    from Newsweek,
    Disney-Fox Deal Closes January 1, Thousands of Layoffs Expected
    By Autumn Noel Kelly On 10/10/18 at 5:30 PM

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Well, it hasn’t closed, so...

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Disney's rebooting films that were successful because they figure that what was once well received as an animation would be accepted and be a new hit as a live action film. The argument that if it ain't broke, don't fix it doesn't sound appealing when you're talking about ensuring a return on your investment in the movie business. People were excited for the Beauty and the Beast remake. People are excited for Lion King and Aladdin. Only a niche group of people, like a cult, would get overly excited for an Atlantis or Chicken Little remake. I didn't think Atlantis was bad, but it's not something I'd ever expect to watch on the big screen.

Gamiel likes this.
  17. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    The thing about the Disney remakes is that what kicked it off was Maleficent, which was an alt-take on Sleeping Beauty. So it seemed the Disney live action remakes would be alt-take driven but then you get Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast or Jungle Book which are pretty straightforward not much changing adaptations. So that seems to be the way going.

One project that is hanging about is Emma Stone in Cruella which I think has been rumoured as far back as when Maleficent was in production so it seems to be back to the alt-take version of the Disney animated classic. Unless when the movie eventually comes out it's just flat out 101 Dalmations Live action remake (yet again, like the Glen Close ones). But from what I read about Cruella they just hired a director and it may take an 80s punk mod vibe to it and Stone lately has been picking projects that are pretty twisty so hopefully it actually gets made with her and they do something different with it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  18. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    You couldn't pay me enough to see that Cruella movie. I don't think I've ever even seen the original Dalmations movies.

19. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    My wifes fav disney movies are 101 Dalmatians.

I was under the impression, with no evidence, it was a prequel about a young Cruella?

20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    yah I think it was/is too so that could be different. I don't think Cruella necessarily has to be old, just a chain smoker. Although, hell, I doubt they'll have her smoking in a big budget Disney movie.

I wouldn't be interested in it either but Emma Stone makes it 100% a watch now.

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Haven't seen Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast so I can't comment on them but I will have to disagree about Jungle Book, it was rather changed compared with the animated version

22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    well Beauty and the Beast is almost scene by scene remake of the original movie, is there anything hugely significantly different between Jungle Book movies? It didn't seem like much of a different take in a huge way.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There's definitely more differences. More with the wolves. The water hole, more on the laws of the jungle. The fight at the end. No vultures. The actual ending, with Mowgli refusing to join the humans.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    And that’s the point. If there is unmined material, as in Mary Poppins or The Sword in Stone, then I have less of an issue with that as there is potentially an opportunity to something original. As to whether anybody wants a remake of Chicken Little, I have no idea, but I think the video that I posted is making a good point which is tha a lot of the animated films that Disney has remade into live action films are in widely considered to be masterpieces and you don’t remake your masterpieces. A good example is the 1998 shot for shot remake of Psycho. Psycho is considered to be the quintessential Hitchcock thriller. When Gus van Sant’s remake was released the reaction from audiences and critics was, “ummm......OK.....why?” That’s basically the reaction I get from seeing the remakes of all these legendary Disney movies. Just because Disney has access to technology that they didn’t have 25 years ago doesn’t really seem like a good reason to remake Beauty and the Beast or The Lion King. They have access to essentially bottomless resources. Why not do something like TRON, that’s actually artistically ambitious.

25. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Did you read the first paragraph of that article?

Nope. Disney has a policy of no fictional characters depicted using tobacco or smoking in any of their movies.