main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Disney/Pixar Movies Thread (for anything non-Marvel/SW)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Xalfrea, Dec 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    They’re in the business of making money. TRON was tried, it failed. New property tent poles have been tried and they’ve failed. Of the remakes I bet Pete’s Dragon has grossed the lowest, and coincidently the original was probably the lowest grossing of the remade films.

It seems trite to blame Disney for giving people what they want.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    love late capitalism

3. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018
    BATB was horribly done and wasted much material. It wasn't a shot for shot remake though. It changed a lot. Similar plot structure, but vast differences. Not good ones either.

Lion King seems like a SFS, but not sure. I mean what could you really do with it? Aladdin...I don't know.

But yeah remaking masterpieces come with an expectation of matching it. Like an example above with Psycho, Casablanca was remade...yeah why? When something is timeless is is just that: timeless. Meaning it's perfect the way it was.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I also didn't care for the BatB remake. I'm not a huge fan of the animated version either, but what I did enjoy about it were Jerry Orbach and David Ogden Stiers' performances. I didn't care for Ewan McGregor and Ian McKellen portrayal at all.

I have a feeling I'm not going to like Billy Eichner and Seth Rogan as Timon and Pumbaa. I thought Nathan Lane and Ernie Sabella were fantastic.

As for Aladdin, I know we're missing Robin Willaims, but it also seems we're missing Gilbert Gottfried and I loved him as Iago. He brought a lot of humor to the whole and that will definitely be missed.

So Disney can do a shot for shot if they want, but casting is huge deal IMO, and if it's lacking so will be the enjoyment of the film.

5. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Apparently, Frank Welker is reprising his roles as Abu and the Cave of Wonders.

As for Beauty and the Beast remake, I loved it.

6. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I loved / loathed BATB 2017

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    As somebody that grow up with Dan Ekborg and Anders Öjebo in those roles I confess to having special attachment to the any of the English voices

8. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    transactional,
    trans·ac·tion·al
    [tranˈzakSHən(ə)l, tran(t)ˈsakSHən(ə)l]
    ADJECTIVE
    1. relating to the conducting of business, especially buying or selling.
      "access to transactional data such as records of purchases" ·
      [more]
      • relating to exchange or interaction between people.
    I am assuming your talking about this word in the first paragraph? It still doesn't explain why we didn't get a press release on January 1 2019 I am highly skeptical of this news I will believe it when I see it.

9. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Wait, Cruella won't be smoking? An obvious and famous character trait of her??

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    they got the director of "I, Tonya" in "early talks" to do Cruella which is great cuz I love that movie

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/disneys-cruella-de-vil-movie-gets-director-1166394

Stone will play infamous villain Cruella De Vil in what is being billed as an origin story, set in the early 1980s with a punk vibe....
    ...Gillespie's I, Tonya was the 2017 Tonya Harding biopic that earned Margot Robbie an Oscar nomination and Allison Janney a best supporting actress Oscar win. He is well-versed in the Disney ways, having helmed The Finest Hours and Million Dollar Arm for the studio. Other credits include the 2011 Fright Night remake and Lars and the Real Girl.

but, yah, Disney probably wouldn't want to have a character smoking so expect if/when the movie happens to have Stone fielding smoking Disney character questions all the live long day (Stone is shown to be smoking in Maniac Netflix miniseries so it doesn't seem she would have a problem with it). Bond stopped smoking a long time ago too anyway.

Anyway, the point overall is this one doesn't seem like one of those scene by scene Disney remakes that have been coming out lately so that makes it actually unique. And, besides, Disney already remade 101 Dalmatians anyway.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  11. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    this one better have the car chase

12. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    That’s not that surprising. John Lee Hancock really had to fight just to get one scene of Tom Hanks stubbing out a cigarette in Saving Mr. Banks.

13. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017

He helped galvanize Pixar's reputation as the best animation studio in the business. Finding Nemo, Coco, a couple of the Toy Story movies, Monsters Inc.

He had a pretty good run.

Sith_Sensei__Prime and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Lasseter got picked up by .... Sony animation, I believe. Some other company. Maybe Ulrich is going over with him?

15. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Skydance Animation. They work with Paramount.

I initially thought the same given the Lasseter news was making waves recently. But Unkrich stated he's not leaving to work anywhere else but to spend time on things he's neglected for too long. It's sounds like it could end up being one of those mid-life professional pauses that some people are lucky enough to be able to take. He's only 51 so I'm sure he'll be getting calls from other studios on the regular. I suspect he'll eventually say yes to one of them.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    After watching the entirety of the video below, if I were Disney, I'd hire the guy too.

Diggy and Bilbo Fett like this.
  17. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Yeah that's one heck of an entry in a portfolio. Can't blame Disney one bit, regardless of whether or not he goes on to do great things for them.

It reminded me of some episodes of Dr. Pol where he had to remove a limb from a dog or a cat and when they follow up on their recovery at the end how well they always adjust. Even working herding dogs seem to be able to go back to darting around between livestock like nothing at all has changed for them.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    So when Is the Disney 20th Century Fox merger being announced Isn't this technically the last week of the month? Well the last full week.

19. Bilbo Fett

Apr 19, 2017
    Not to sound like a smart alec but we'll know when they announce it. It won't come and go without a peep, you can believe that.

My understanding is there's a bit of a regulatory holdup in Brazil at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    BigAl6ft6 and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh god, are you going to do this at the beginning and end of every month until it is actually announced?

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  22. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    from the things I have read in articles I was led to believe the European Fox Affiliate and Sky Network don't come into play with this.

23. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Yeah...I'm not old or anything...

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  24. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    you think that's old how about the new Mickey Mouse Club with Brittany Speers and Justin Timberlake and on Nickelodeon which at the time was trying to compete with the Disney Channel,
    Salute Your Shorts,
    [​IMG]
    this was all on when I was a kid!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    wow, that Disney movie looks compellingly terrible. why does the guy have a guitar?

Check out that future promise of Disney+ content quality, folks!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019