main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 'Disneyfication' of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Charles Widmore, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charles Widmore

Charles Widmore Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2014
    The filmmakers behind the 2010 documentary The People vs. George Lucas have announced a sequel, The People vs. George Lucas II, focusing specifically on Lucasfilm’s sale to Disney and what it means for the future of Star Wars.

What are your thoughts? Will Star Wars become Disneyfied?

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    It won't become disneyfied to much but I do think overall the quality will decrease. I don't think we will have multimedia events or ambitious projects that George Lucas actively made and participated.

Echo Base and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I agree, I'm worried about the spinoffs--and actually have *very* little interest in them, but otherwise I'm not that worried about the "Disneyfication" of SW. As far as the next trilogy goes, I doubt we'll notice anything different at all. And I expect it to be very high quality. Spinoffs, er, I dunno….*please don't do Han, Please don't do Han….*

But the ST will be fine. Unless, er, you know, the opening scene is Leia dancing around and singing about wanting more than "this provincial life!" But that ain't gonna happen.

4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    What do you mean by "Disneyfication?"

Do you mean child-like? If so, that's no concern of mine at all. Star Wars, even in its darkest installments, has been extremely accessible to all ages. If the Episodes weren't child-friendly then there'd be a problem.

Do you mean corporately fueled rather than artistically? If so, that is a very real fear of mine. Say what you will about the Prequels, but Lucas' heart and soul was very clearly poured into every installment. Some fans didn't seem to take well to that, however, and I worry that, rather than making the upcoming films new and innovative, Disney will instead try to pander to the audience and just give us a rehash of things we liked about the older films.

5. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    How can you possibly make an entire film about this topic when we have seen very little of what SW looks like with Disney at the helm.

Darth Zannah likes this.
  6. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    I wonder if they'll stamp the Disney logo all over the posters and everything. Back when they were advertising John Carter I felt like the really prominent use of the Disney logo took away from whatever atmospherics they were trying to create. Of course there were a lot of others problems, but at the time that really stood out to me.

Obi-Wan Kennerobi likes this.
  7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    DISNEY Presents: Star Wars: Episode VII - Little Annie Returns

8. Charles Widmore

Charles Widmore Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2014

"Do you mean corporately fueled rather than artistically?"

Yes. They need to recoup their investment, and as fast as possible.

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yikes.

Seagoat likes this.
  10. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I love Disney, and I hate The People VS George Lucas because I worship George Lucas. I also worship Steven Spielberg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Winston_Sith and Seagoat like this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  12. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I personally love the Tron films, thought John Carter was just okay, and the Pirates films are enjoyable for what they are. So I'm optimistic that Disney wont ruin Star Wars.

Andy Wylde and TX-20 like this.
  13. GenericUsername123

GenericUsername123 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2014
    Lucas selling to Disney is in reaction to his haters. Disneyfication will happen. Lucas will be blamed for it, but the hate for his work was off the charts, so why bother? In the end, Disneyfication might even help the legacy of his later work, in contrast.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    His selling of LucasFilms to Disney was by no means "revenge on the haters". He simply acknowledged that he's getting old, and he won't be around forever. He needs someone to hand the lightsaber down to, so to speak. He clearly trusts the people of Disney to handle his baby, and they trust him, as he's still involved to a degree.

If he really wanted to diss the haters, he would have simply abandoned it. The fact that he still talks about it and works on the ST shows that he still cares

Andy Wylde and TX-20 like this.
  15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It's already started happening with the mind-boggling decision to cancel Clone Wars in favor of Rebels.

16. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I don't think it was cancelled so much as concluded. There was really nothing else to show, was there? Ahsoka left the Jedi and she was more or less the main focus of the show

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'm worried that everything will be McQuarrieized to the point that the finished OT is suppresssed.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Rex, Darth Maul, Ventress, Cad Bane, and more. There were lots the show had not been able to wrap up.

Sent from my R2 unit

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Disney is not a group I fear "ruining" Star Wars because they're the company which generally goes with this "formula":

* Hire ridiculously famous already established writers/actors/producers for $$$
    * Merchandise the crud out of it
    * Rake in more money than they spend.

Voltron64 likes this.
  20. Padme's Love Slave

Padme's Love Slave Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 16, 2013
    The People vs. George Lucas is a waste of time. It's just a compilation of what's been said on message boards since the late 90's. It also claims to not take sides, but only features one brief positive segment.

21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Yeah, I wasn't too impressed - I think the filmmakers did attempt to make an even-handed doco about the backlash, but the subject matter itself was too strongly skewed towards the usual ranting. I don't think anyone came out of it looking good.

22. GenericUsername123

Jul 18, 2014
    I think by telling them what Star Wars is about and consulting, he's giving them no excuses when they do rip the heart out of it and turn it into a failed propaganda tool of the Empire. He's giving them a chance, but knows they will fail. All they put out is pro-tyranny propaganda, and they have close ties to the government. I think backlash may very well ruin Disney's cred it gained from Marvel movies. Star Wars is the proton torpedo that will take down the mouse house.

23. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Uhhhh....

Andy Wylde likes this.
  24. GenericUsername123

Jul 18, 2014
    At least that's what I would do if I'd made an anti-establishment movie warning people about tyranny that everyone crapped on while simultaneously applauding the death of liberty.

25. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Somebody needs a fresh layer of tin foil under his hat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.