main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The DownTime Pilot-Fic Index v 2.0 - We're back and under new management!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Pilot_Fic_Index, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astronut

Astronut Jedi Master star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    Hmm, the periods I like reading are usually right around A New Hope and the Hand of Thrawn Trilogy. But I'll read practically anything with the Rogues or Wraiths. I like 'fics that showcase the early problems in forming the Rogues before they got their reputation, and I like the 'fics when everyone is beginning to settle down with families. I also love the comics, but those stories are a bit harder to find.

For writing, that's a bit tougher. I like writing in the holes, so I'll be broad and say the New Rebublic era. Plenty of holes to fill in there.

2. Mirax_Corran

Mirax_Corran Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2005
    If it's god my beloved pilots, I'll probably like it!

3. Lovely-in-Orange

Lovely-in-Orange Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 21, 2005
    I can't believe I missed a Hobbie discussion! Lately I've been writing his mom moreso than him (I gave her some of his characteristics), but I'm still very fond of Hobbie too.

-Who is your Hobbie? (Characteristics, personality, past, ect)
    I think of him as neurotic, but also good at picking up on others' feelings. There's one point in the comics when Feylis is feeling down about having learned to fly on TIE fighters instead of X-wings and Hobbie picks up on it at takes her aside to let her know she's not alone in that. So I think understanding what it's like to worry to much may actually help him to be a good leader. Also I think he worries and complains but also is very willing to risk himself when it comes down to it.

-Which sources do you use as a base for the character, if any?
    First in ESB, his one liner and willingness to crash to save others. Also Rogue Squadron comics and SoA. I read a summary and preview pages of Darklighter, but they didn't seem to match my view of him (and the missing limbs issue doesn't make sense with other sources) so I never went out and bought it.

Usually Hobbie's pretty 2-D, but there's a lot of opportunity for depth with him. Where I see that he's evolved the most is his sense of humor. But it's likely that years of friendship with Wes brought that side of him out.

4. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    Which Rogue (or Wraith) Squadron period do you perfer to read or write about? The movie, comics, x-wing book series, New republic Era, NJO?

I like to write in what I call "The Bantam Era" when I write about pilots. It starts at the end of RotJ and goes up to just before the NJO. Most of the characters that I really love in SW were pretty active during that time, which is probably why I prefer it. If you go too far before that time, you end up with some of your favorites as children, (Gavin is only 10 when the first Death Star is destroyed, for example) and if you go too far afterwards, it doesn't seem very realistic that our heroes would still be darting around, saving the galaxy at the drop of a hat.

I'll be slightly more broad in my reading tastes. I'll read, for example, an NJO fic if it's going to be pilot-centric (by pilot-centric I mean Wedge, Tycho, et al, not Jaina, Jag, and Kyp). I'll occasionally read a Saga fic if it's going to have the Fab Four in it...

You know, while typing this out I've basically realized that if there's the Fab Four, IC, and no sues, I'll read it. :p

~Inyri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.