main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

-<<The Downtime Pilots Lounge>>- A Place for Writers of Rogue/Wraith/Other Squadrons.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JansonYellowAces, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    1 New fanfic added to day.

That's a better way Speldorion, my way is a little complicated. But now to introduce a new weekly thing for the DownTime Lounge, here it comes, wait for it, stay on target, look at the size of that thing, Pilot/Character Discussion.

And for the first character we will discuss, in honor of one of the pilots here at DownTime, Inyri Forge.

I personally think Inyri is one of the strongest female characters in the Star Wars Saga, she's right up there among Leia Organa-Solo, Padme Amidala Naberrie. Her back-story is well, written, and she acts like she's actually from Kessel. It shows us the place your born makes a difference in who you are when you grow up.

She's also an Ace Pilot (that's why she's on my Starfighter Draft team), and that's where it counts in Rogue Squadron, unfortunately we don't know her whereabouts at the moment, and its possible she could be KIA. Hopefully this is not so, and we'll se from her again in the near future.

Questions for everyone:

1. What do you think of Inyri Forge?

2. Have you ever written Inyri Forge in a Fanfic? (If no then stop)

3. Do you like writing Inyri Forge as a character?

4. How do you think Inyri Forge should be written in fanfics?

I?ve never written Inyri, and I already have said what I think about her, so now lets hear from you.

If you have any questions to add please do so. Hopefully this will help make DownTime better, and shed some light on different characters. Through these discussions we can help each other write better.

PM me to nominate a character for next weeks discussion.

2. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Inyri is an amazing character. It's always good to see strong females.

I've personally never written Inyri, but Inyri certainly does a wonderful job with her. :p

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

3. InyriForge

InyriForge Jedi Master star 5

Jan 24, 2002
    Not that you can't guess this stuff...

1. What do you think of Inyri Forge?

I think she's a strong female character who's overcome a lot of rough things.

2. Have you ever written Inyri Forge in a Fanfic? (If no then stop)

Yes. "Evasion," "Deception," "A Change of Plans," and mentioned in "How did I fall in Love with you." There are also a lot of unpublished stories that I wrote her in.

3. Do you like writing Inyri Forge as a character?

Hmmmmm, let's think about that one. :p

4. How do you think Inyri Forge should be written in fanfics?

I'd like to see her written as she is portrayed in pro-fic, as someone who's a little jaded, but strong and self-assured. *shrugs*

~Inyri

4. JansonYellowAces

Jun 28, 2002
    Yub-Yub is right, Inyri writes Inyri beautifully.

5. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Um. I like Inyri. She strikes me as being someone who's been through a lot. She was born on Kessel to a non penal family, and then she hooked up with Thyne. She's basically really tough but I think that she wraps her mind in so much emotional armour that when something gets past her defenses she's completely stuffed. I haven't written her properly yet, but I hope to do so sometime soon. :)

6. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Oooh, character discussion, kewl. I'm rusty on some of the character intricacies, so now I have an excuse to go reread some of the books.

...As if I needed an excuse. :p

-Katie
    Thumper

7. JansonYellowAces

Jun 28, 2002
    Are ye all bored of the discussion already?

I think I need an ale.

8. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    Discussions fizzle out really fast. Insanity, on the other hand, is always interesting. :p

~Inyri

9. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    I think it's a case of not enough of us work with Inyri. Perhaps if we use Wes or Wedge next week?

10. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    And a lot of people also write OC's into the squadrons since, after IR, there really isn't ever a complete list of who all is a Rogue.

I still vote for insanity, though.

~Inyri

11. JansonYellowAces

Jun 28, 2002
    Yeah I think next week I'm going with Janson. I got a new question for Inyri, and Rogue11.

For Inyri, what causes you to match-up Inyri with Janson?

And Rogue11 if your around what caused you to create the pair of Inyri, and Hobbie, which was interesting.

12. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    Oh, wow, this could take some time. I was writing this NJO, J/J story, and I needed a filler scene so I came up with this little food fight between the Inyri, another pilot Andi (an OC) and some of the Wraiths, Janson included. It ended with Wedge getting a pie in the face, so, in the following post, I followed up with him lecturing Inyri and Wes, who are bickering, about setting good examples, etc, etc. That scene ends with Wedge getting frustrated and telling them to stop flirting.

I really did mean for that to basically be the end of it, but then so many people commented on that scene, so I decided to expand it a little as a side plot, and it sort of took over. The strange thing was, I'd written other things just for fun, and not once did I pair Inyri with Janson, but the more I wrote it, the more it seemed to work. Inyri needed someone who isn't serious, who's into having fun, etc, to offset her personality, and, at the same time, she's tough enough to attempt to keep Wes in line. *shrugs* It just seemed to work, and I had a ton of fun with the story.

Near the end of Evasion, people asked me to write a story that was strictly "pilots" which is where my current monstrosity comes from. I had a planning thread and asked people to tell me what they wanted. A lot of my Evasion readers followed me there, so they all asked that I play around with the same pairing again. I really enjoy it; it's different than what most people write for those two characters which makes it a lot of fun for me to write. I do want to write a Wes/Shalla piece at some time, because Shalla's another woman who could keep Wes in line if need be. Okay, now I'm late for church.

~Inyri

13. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    WOw, that is complicated. :p

14. JansonYellowAces

Jun 28, 2002
    That should answer my question :D

15. InyriForge

Jan 24, 2002
    The man wanted an answer. I gave him an answer.

~Inyri

16. JansonYellowAces

Jun 28, 2002
    Character Discussion Week Two. Week One went well, but not enough people write Inyri Forge, (No disrespect to Inyri writers) so this week I've decided on a more popular character. This weeks character, Wes Janson.

Wes is awesome, my favorite pilot in the Star Wars Saga, maybe even my favorite character. He just fits in so many things, he's most easily written as a funny guy, but just as well fits in serious situations.

Wes Janson is an Ace, among Aces, he was with the Rogues from the start. He was a star in the X-Wing Series, and at his best in Starfighters of Adumar. Lately we've seen Janson in Rebel (Dream or Stand?) but, only for a short time, hopefully we can see a little more before the end of the NJO.

Questions for everyone:

1. What do you think of Wes Janson?

2. Have you ever written Wes Janson in a Fanfic? (If no then skip number three.)

3. Do you like writing Wes Janson as character? Why?

4. How do you think Wes Janson should be written in fanfics?

You've heard from me, now it's time to hear from you.

PM me to nominate a character for next weeks discussion.

17. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Ooh, now this I like. Wes is one of my favorites. :p

*points to sig* I'm rather fond of the guy. :p

Anyway, I find Wes to be a wonderfully multi-faceted character. Yes, he's the hilarious prankster we all know and love, but he's not just about that. He really does care about his cause. Whenever it really matters, he quickly lays aside his usual childishness and becomes a serious, responsible adult. He's so wonderfully complex, and in many ways more realistic than most Jedi. He's a guy you can really identify with. Look at his antics, he'll make you laugh. Consider his past, he'll make you cry. Read past the surface of lines like "You can't look dignified when you're having fun.", he'll make you think.

2. Have you ever written Wes Janson in a Fanfic? (If no then skip number three.)

Well let's see... the first time I wrote about Wes was in Not the World's Greatest Babysitters. More than anyone else, I wrote that fic because Wes would work well in it. The next time I wrote about him was the considerably more serious "Laughter and Tears" in my vignette collection Reflections. My latest Wes project, Please Say Growing Up Is Optional is part of a planned series chronicling his life story. I'm hoping to blend his natural humour with a serious examination of what motivates him. Every hero has a past, right?

Ya think? :p Yes, I love writing Wes. His humorous side is so fun to write! And it's really interesting exploring his less well known facets.

As a fully realized three dimensional character. His humorous side is very important of course, but that doesn't mean the rest of him should be ignored. When the fic presents him a serious situation, the adult version of Wes needs to come out and shine.

As Inyri's discovered, if you write a good "complex Wes", I'll love you forever. :p

18. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Yay, Wes! We'll see how coherent my brain is after work and class today.

Wes is far and away one of my favorite characters in Star Wars. Starfighters of Adumar is my fav SW book partially because of Wes's role in it. I also think that Wes is at his best when he can play off of Hobbie. (hopefully that made some sense)

Yes, but not in a fic that's been posted on the boards.

Yes, because I like writing characters who can have fun with life. Ironically, the only times I've really tried to write Wes have been in serious situations with another character and I don't think I've kept him light-hearted enough. While I realize Wes can be serious if he has to be, I think I've even gone beyond that, so I have to fix it.

Hmm. I think DoYY nailed it all pretty well.

I have a question for everyone, just out of curiosity: when you're visualizing Wes in your mind's eye, do you picture the Wes from the movie, or the big, broad-shouldered Wes from the comic books?

-Katie
    Thumper

19. -thor-

-thor- Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002

Hmm - tough question to be honest. On the one hand Wes is what we germans call a Klassenclown. He is the one to make his friends laugh, but he is also the one who annoys them most when he is doing his jokes.

Wes pranks are a large part of the reason why he is so popular and many are really good. But sometimes he even does them when he has no "brilliant idea" and that makes them look childish from time to time.

I would like to say more, but as it happens I wrote a part for my future story where I give a look on what could be the reason why Wes is living the way he does. ;)

2. Have you ever written Wes Janson in a Fanfic?

Yes - but not to the detail other writers have. The next story will feature him as one of the main characters, but so far I only used him once - in "The secrets of still waters".

To be honest I don't know if I like writing about him - I don't know if I can do him justice. I mean after SoA the levelling board is pretty high concerning him.

Additionally I have not the same sense of humor and making up things he does can be a problem for me.

Well - as above. And as I stated at 1) I have a few things in mind I will keep for myself 'cause they're used in the next story.

20. JansonYellowAces

Jun 28, 2002
    Notice:

One new fanfiction added today.

Started writing my new fanfiction today, got the Dramatis Personae, and title done.

Introducing my new epic fanfiction saga.

THE STELE CHRONICLES: VOLUME ONE
    THE EDGE OF DESTRUCTION

JANSONYELLOWACES

DRAMATIS PERSONAE

Major Maarek Stele (Stele Wing Lead, Alpha One)(Human Male from Kuan)

Stele Alpha
    Lieutenant Raith Oroske (Alpha Two)(Human Male from Talus)
    Lieutenant Jardo Kuron (Alpha Five)(Human Male from Bilbringi)
    Lieutenant Rayle Zanton (Alpha Nine)(Human Female from Tralus)

Stele Beta
    Commander Gree Hax (Beta One)(Human Male from Fondor)
    Lieutenant Eldon Taun (Beta Five)(Human Male from Kuat)
    Lieutenant Dian Antilles (Beta Nine)(Human Male from Corellia)

Stele Ceta
    Commander Rafe Dessi (Ceta One)(Human Male from Alderaan)
    Lieutenant Kedira Thain (Ceta Five)(Human Female from Coruscant)
    Lieutenant Keden Thain (Ceta Nine)(Human Male from Coruscant)

Stele Delta
    Commander Sheen?exe?Nuruodo (Delta One)(Chiss Male from Csilla)
    Lieutenant Ceba Navika (Delta Five) (Human Female from Naboo)
    Lieutenant Anton Odel (Delta Nine)(Human Male from Ord Mantell)

Stele Eta
    Commander Zeke Jerell (Eta One)(Human Male from Thyferra)
    Dru Avel (Eta Five)(Human Male from Corulag)
    Lavie Tory (Eta Nine)(Human Female from Chadrilla)

Support Staff

?Chatter? (MK-3P0 Droid)(Stele Wing Quartermaster)
    Lieutenant Xedlar Usan (Stele Wing Head Mechanic)(Zabrak Male from Iridonia)

Imperial Navy

Grand Admiral Thrawn (Commander of Imperial Forces) (Chiss Male from Csilla)
    Captain Gilad Pellaeon (Grand Admiral?s Aide)(Human Male from Corellia)
    Lieutenant Hiram Tschel (Bridge Officer on Chimera)(Human Male from Ralltir)
    Commander Juun Millse (Captain of Skylight Crescendo) (Human Female from Brentaal)

Keep up the Janson Talk.

For mush writers, who do you think makes the best female (for lack of a better word) "partner" for our good friend Janson.

No need for you to answer Inyri :D

21. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Interesting start. :)

I'm a major Wes/Shalla supporter.

And, no, it isn't because that couples a bloody conspiracy and the WJFC sat down and picked out the pefect girl for Wes. We didn't just pick her because she was the only unattached female Wraith, we had very good reasons.

First of all, Shalla's quick enought to keep up with Wes. He needs someone with her sense of humour who will put up with his childishness and silly jokes. On the other hand, he also needs a woman strong enough to tell him to cut it out. There's no question that Shalla could keep Wes in line if need be.

The interaction between these two is priceless. Pairing them up just makes it better.

Finally, we know for a fact that she rather likes his rear end. :p

I haven't actually written any Wes/Shalla mush but... let's just say part three of my Wes series is tentatively going to be titled "Of Love and Laughter". [face_mischief]

22. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Let me use a quote for that question:

"Elassar - do you really want to imagine a handful of little Jansons running around? I mean we already do have trouble with one Janson, don't we? So tell me again - do you really want him to reproduce?"

Face in "Yub yub, Major!"

23. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    [face_laugh]

24. -thor-

Nov 15, 2002
    Liked that? :D Well then ... another snippet.

He smiled. "Of course. At least I'm sure Janson hasn't ordered female strippers for us."

She blinked at him. "How do you know?"

"Because I told Tycho if he let Wes anywhere near organising the bachelor's party I'd take command of the Rogues again and assign him Wes as wingman," Wedge chuckled.

;)

25. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Hurry up and post that fic then!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.